IMDb > Beastly (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beastly

Beastly More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 13: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Umm...I think you missed the point.

Author: Erin Thomson
17 May 2011

I don't really have much to say about this film, having not seen the end, but is it just me or does this movie actually highlight the IMPORTANCE of beauty rather than why it is unimportant? The pretty boy gets some tattoos and decides he needs a pretty girl (obviously a pretty one, because HE HAS NOT ACTUALLY LEARNED ANYTHING AND IS DOING THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT HE WAS SUPPOSED TO LEARN!) to become pretty again, because everyone knows you have to be good looking to get anywhere in life. Again with the Vanessa Hudgens thing. He was supposed to learn that beauty isn't skin deep, yet picks a random pretty girl to 'fall in love' with so he can be pretty again.

Sweet Little Movie

Author: Linda (wanbliwinyan@aol.com) from United States
14 March 2011

I read the book, was very good and very well written for a "young adult" novel..not condescending to young people...nice story line... I liked the movie, Alex Pettyfer did very well with what he had to work with, and Neal Patrick Harris was even funnier than the teacher in the book...The music was nice and correlated well with the movie...I would of personally re-caste the parts of Vanessa Hudgeons and the Mary Kate Olson, she always looks like a "witch" so no stretch there imo...If you are a VH fan, then you'll like her fine in the movie, her character in the book was much more humble, so maybe that is what the script writer avoided in the movie or just how VH played the role...but those were my only two exceptions to the movie...Get some popcorn, take your girlfriends or make you boyfriend go...He'll like it too (maybe:)

Done Before and better

Author: Jacuk from United Kingdom
6 March 2011

This movie is the same old story which has been made into countless movies. We have a person who is a obsessed by his good looks and therefore of course will be punished and will not become his old self until he has gone through some trials that will teach him that beauty comes from within and not based on the outside. We all know that in the real world this is not the case and it's a fairy-tale.

Going into the movie i did not have high hopes and i must admit i was surprised not because the movie is that good, but because it's not that bad either, the story has been done 100 times and has been done better than this but something about the main actors makes you feel pleasantly entertained and if you have 1½ hour which have to be spent on something this movie is not the worst thing to throw on the DVD.

Just don't expect to be wowed or see anything new and anything that hasn 't been done before.

Therefore i cannot in good will give it more than a 2.

It was an "okay" romantic movie.

Author: duchoc22 from United States
25 November 2012

From the movie trailer, I knew this was not going to be the best romantic movie of the year, but good enough to watch. I recently had a lot of times on my hand and decided to spend my times watching movies. Saying this, I have to say I am not a professional movie critic but is just a really big fan of watching movies. :) Anyway, this movie was really good on how the director presented a different version of the famous story " Beauty and the Beast". At times though, I felt the movie was rushed, especially the ending. Also, this movie is kind of mediocre, not surprised from the actors chosen for this film. Overall, this movie is really fun, entertaining, and exciting. It is one of those enjoyable movies when you have nothing to do and you put this on to waste time. Still, it is recommended.

Watch this Movie!

Author: Liv Loupe from United Kingdom
9 November 2012

If you are reading this review to decide if you should watch Beastly or not I will definitely say Yes! The acting was great. Next, the filming was superb. Finally, the movie stayed close enough to the original story to do it justice while adding other awesome plot points.

Ultimately, the actors in this movie all did at least an exceptable job if not better. You really hate Alex Pettyfer in the beginning(pre-beast) like you are supposed to. I loved Neil Patrick Harris as Will; he was hysterical! I also watch him in How I Met Your Mother he is also hilarious. You can see him also in Doogie Howser, M.D. Also, Peter Krause plays Rob Kingson or Kyle Kingson's (Alex Pettyfer) dad. You will hate him to the very end where he finally gets what he deserves.

Additionally, the director(Daniel Barnz) made so many awesome choices on how to film Beastly. In the scene where Kyle is transforming into his beastly self. You can feel by the way it's filmed how he feels; it's amazing! I was never once confused during the movie of why they would feel at that angle or from that distance ever.

Although, I believe the movie was terrific, others don't agree. Some think that the film droned on for too long. Well, I think the movie if anything needed to be a bit longer. They really needed that show time to create their rising action. In my personal opinion, the original story should've had a little bit longer plot.

Furthermore, this film respected the book. I absolutely love Beauty and the Beast and was scared that Beastly wouldn't stay true enough. It did, to my relief, by incorporating basic points into the movie such as: Kyle is rich, Lindy(the main character played by Vanessa Hudgens) lives with Kyle to fulfill a favor from her dad, Kyle changes back when Lindy says "I love you" to him, and other points. It also incorporates cool new, modern ideas too such as Lindy and him are in the same high school.

In conclusion, I believe this movie will be remembered as one of the greatest Beauty and the Beast themed movies along with the Disney version. You should definitely rent it or buy it, you will enjoy.

This movie was truly sweet-to-the-core!

Author: transientdreams from United States
15 September 2012

Much as I can not stand 'teen love' movies, this one was brilliant in many simple ways. There is really no movie out there that does not involve clichés, especially when it is about Love, Humility, Redemption and a Transformation of the heart and soul. I am 50 and LOVED this movie to pieces, even being the semi-jaded old fart that I am. I was genuinely moved by it as well as how it was executed on screen. The acting was great over all. The direction was simple but quite direct and to the point, scene-by-scene without all the 'Tragic-Emotional-Splash' or over-indulgent 'Happy-Sappiness'. The writing was minimalist at most times but that actually made the film more watchable. The intense and brutal-looking makeup for the lead was off-the-charts excellent, believable and consistent.

As far as I am concerned, Vanessa Hudgens (Lindy) stole every scene she was in. She didn't try to, she just did! Her character's sincerity and chemistry with other cast members was uniquely her own. She made this movie what it was, which was simply beautiful.

I not only recommend it to people of ALL ages, I will definitely watch it again!~

Loved this movie!

Author: pointer165 from United States
13 May 2012

I saw Alex for the very first time in "I am Number Four" and have both this and that movie on order from Amazon. What a career this guy has had and going to have..I really don't care(most times?!) who's in the movie because the SCRIPT ,for me,comes first and it was exactly the kind of movie that I like.Special effects are third on the list for me..but when it all comes together, you should feel something inside your body that "moved you" and this movie did it for me.Alex is perfect , in every way..OK, I have to add more to the review, well I don't give anything anyway with the fact it is named "BEASTLY" and Alex is the BEAST and done by a witch but I will not say WHY he has changed and will he ever changed back..but that journey from point A to point Z, involved some pretty unique things that he must learn first, like all of us in life.Not all children today,especially with the Internet and TV, are taught HOW to properly handle themselves in a relationship, in your classroom etc.You must be taught from he "GROUND UP"!! Some kids get it, some don't but you know the kids that do get it it when they reach adulthood...a heart is something not to be shrugged at because that needs the most work..how to love, where to love, whom to love etc..well Alex learns just a bit of this.

Cheers.. Tony(NYC)

Harsh critics

Author: toastandcereal from UK
8 August 2011

I decided to read the book when the trailer for this movie was released, and really enjoyed it. I have now finished watching the movie and I can see why some die hard fans of the book are upset, because it does steer away from the book quite a bit. I especially loved Neil Patrick Harris' portray of Will, he was really funny and charming to watch and genuinely made me smile. I must admit that as soon as I saw Mary Kate Olsen was in the movie, I had to watch it mainly for that, and I wasn't disappointed with her role as Kendra, I was pleasantly surprised with her acting as the character.

The movie is based loosely on the novel, so most people who are saying this is a load of crap are pretty much just upset that this movie wasn't word for word of the book.

The ending was sweet, a bit abrupt, but heartwarming.

GIVE IT A CHANCE.

Not a great movie, but OK for what it tries to be.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
24 July 2011

This is not a very ambitious movie. It just wants to use a couple of popular young, attractive actors to make a movie that entertains. It does that, buy using a modern take on the old 'beauty and beast' tale. You know from the very beginning how it will turn out, you just don't know what route it will take to get there.

Alex Pettyfer, the young Brit who was also in "I Am Number Four", is a hot actor right now. He has roles in 4 additional movies in production. Here he is Kyle, the vain high school son of a popular and vain TV personality. In a sense he was raised to be that way, to believe only the beautiful get the breaks in life.

In a very good role for her, Mary-Kate Olsen is Kendra, dresses unusually, and turns out to be a witch of sorts. She casts the spell on Kyle, and he becomes bald and develops all sorts of unattractive designs and scars on this face and torso, in essence becoming a beast. He has to have someone tell him they love him within a year to break the spell.

The well-adjusted girl at school, but with a very shady dad, is Vanessa Hudgens as Lindy. When she finds herself in a tight situation she is rescued by Kyle, who has assumed a different name, and she doesn't recognize him as the vain boy from her school. She ends up living at his house for safety, and in the process becomes attached to him. And, in the process he learns that life and love are not about how one looks, but what is inside.

No, this is not a great movie, it tells an old tale in a modern manner with beautiful actors. But for this kind of fluff, it is reasonably entertaining and not worthy of much of its very harsh criticism. My wife and I enjoyed it.

i.e. not convinced

Author: dwyght-carter from New Zealand
12 July 2011

This movie didn't really nail it for me and I haven't even read the book. For me there were just too many variables that weren't taken into account, or were just plain removed from the movie which, in my opinion made the events and outcome in the movie a bit hard to believe.

!!! THE FOLLOWING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS !!!

For me there were a lot of superficial elements in the movie which I think ultimately contradicted the whole point. I think the message is supposed to be that a good looking girl can fall for an ugly guy; well there are elements that detract from this very supposition. For instance, the lead role, Kyle's alter ego Hunter, uses trickery, i.e. blackmail, to isolate the girl from the social collective and put her up in a home that he only has because he has resources, i.e. his rich daddy, he then uses money in an attempt to buy her, and lastly he takes her to his fathers expensive cottage. By removing the lead girl Lindy from her social collective, i.e. her friends, this takes away the variable of what her friends would say, and how and to what degree they could influence her perception of Hunter. Secondly, isolating her takes away the competition, i.e. other guys, which in my opinion would also influence her decisions regarding spending time with Hunter. Now with those two elements removed, sure it is possible for Lindy to slowly fall in love with Hunter: but is it really true love; should it really be marketed as the stuff of magic that breaks spells; like the kind of love that endures the social hailstorm and stands the test of time? By removing those elements it makes it some kind of circumstantial marginalized social engineered love, and frankly, makes the story a bit hard to believe. The other element that could have influenced the relationship is the fact that Hunter has resources, i.e. money. How would it have played out if he had no money, i.e. the means to patronize her and make costly gestures? How would it end if he played a moral hand, i.e. didn't use blackmail to isolate her? I'm not convinced; however I appreciate the effort, and obviously this movie is targeting a specific market. Would be interested in watching something that covered more variables and built the relationship more convincingly.

Page 10 of 13: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]