IMDb > Beastly (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beastly

Beastly More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Not Terrible- Had Some Good Moments

Author: thetruth45 from United States
17 April 2012

Movie was kinda cool, there were parts I liked and parts I didn't like. Overall, the flaws drag the movie down to being a decent weekday movie while you browse the internet and pay bills. Not a movie you devote 100% of your attention to but definitely interesting background fodder.

Parts I liked: The plot was interesting (albeit common)- a good looking guy who sucks at life turns ugly and has to change his internal persona to become good looking again. The girl who played opposite the Rich Schmuck turned beast was pretty good. She was "for the most part" likable (there were issues I had with her which I will address later but she's the kind of girl you'd hope to land in real life...for the most part). The ending was sweet and made me borderline cry (weird I know). The ending where you realize the Rich Schmuck's dad is going to get screwed just like his son did....pretty cool.

Parts I didn't like: The movie is so incredibly short (like an hour and 20 minutes) that none of the relationships are developed (not even a little bit). The reason the movie gives to get this girl to move into the rich schmuck's house is kinda bizarre(i.e. he breaks up a fight, the girl's dad then turns a gun on the bad guy and kills him, so in exchange for the rich schmuck not turning this guy in he blackmails the dad to give him ownership of his daughter- I mean it's completely bizarre). I didn't like that this girl who falls for "the beast" already liked this guy before he became "the beast." This guy is a total loser douche bag before turning into "the beast" (giving speeches about how he's awesome and rich and how everyone who's ugly sucks, humiliating women in public, etc). I mean there is not a single redeemable characteristic of this kid so it really undermines this girl's character that she LIKES THIS DOUCHE.

Lastly, that they have to rely on weird tribal looking tattoos and tree tattoos and metal rivets in his face to make him ugly is stupid. A lot of those tattoos were pretty bad ass and would not be a turn off. The face tattoos were gross but the body ones were kinda cool. There should have been a better effort to make this guy ugly instead of relying on tattoos and piercing (the costume designer needs a reality check).

Overall it's a C+: decent story, cute girl, some nice romance, that is hurt by it's bad costumes, douchey lead, bizarre story twists, and lack of character development.

My tween daughter enjoyed this, I almost fell asleep

Author: scarletheels from Colorado
7 March 2012

Kyle (Alex Pettyfer, I Am Number Four) is a handsome, popular, rich kid who is also a grade-A jerk but blame that on his conceited, inattentive father who is more concerned about his career as an anchorman than with his own son. At least that's what the film wants you to do. Like father, like son.

After Kyle plays a cruel prank on another student, Kendra (Mary-Kate Olsen, Full House), she transforms him into a bald, boil-covered, tattooed freak. It turns out Michelle Tanner grew up to be a witch dressed in emo-inspired haute couture clothing. Oops, not exactly the person you want to invite to the prom and then publicly humiliate. He has one year to find someone to fall in love with him or he's cursed to stay ugly as hell forever. A blind girl, maybe?

Nope, Lindy (Vanessa Hudgens, High School Musical), a fellow student who moves in with him after he saves her and her father from muggers. The blind person turns out to be a tutor, Will (Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother), hired by Kyle's father. Kyle was moved into a place of his own after doctors told his father that, um no, a face transplant is not a viable option.

We are all familiar with the tale of Beauty and the Beast so we all know where the characters are headed and what happens at the end. This isn't the kind of film for special effects or over-choreographed fight scenes so that leaves the acting.

Both Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens are easy on the eyes but their acting skills have yet to be fully developed, or developed at all. It seems like Pettyfer is trying but Hudgens has one or two facial expressions in her repertoire. I've seen better acting from my daughter's sock puppets. The saving grace is Neil Patrick Harris whose comedic timing is sublime. He breathes some life into this flat fantasy.

Parents, this is okay to let your tween/teen watch but I don't recommend it.

If you listen to the critics all the time you will be missing out on this little gem of a film.

Author: thekyles99 from Canada
29 May 2011

OK this is the prime example of why upon reading a movie i want to see and it's poor reviews i just see it anyways so i can judge with my own eyes. Beastly in my opinion was no where near as bad as a lot of the critics panned it. It was a good modern tale adaptation of the Beauty And The Beast story that director Daniel Barnz totally put his own panache on it. And thats what i like to see. I don't want a director per say to take for example Disney's version of the tale and do it word for word, i want his own vision. And that's what we got here. Newcomer and heart throb Alex Pettyfer plays Kyle Kingston a very popular student in his school (who also due to his looks and popularity is also very conceited) Upon winning school valedictorian and announcing that he is there for the better looking people of the school, he mistakenly takes it upon himself to centre out and make fun of an outcast Kendra (played very well by Mary- Kate Olsen) in front of everyone pretty much announcing to everyone how ugly she is and then apologizes only to invite her to the school dance, which in turn only to make fun of her once again. This in turn causes Kendra to announce "That was your second chance" and unbeknowst to him being a witch she casts a spell on him casting him with hideous facial features and scars. This turns Kyle's world literally upside down! She also tells him that he has a year to make himself a better person and make some girl say i love you (and mean it) or else he will be stricken with those looks for the rest of his life. The rest of the film we see if Kyle can turn himself around and find love. I thought this was a great take on this old tale joined with the fact of a modern soundtrack the two added together make what i thought to be an modern romance flick.The moral here is don't always believe what you read!

A modern retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" that disappoints

Author: neenahhh
27 April 2011

I watched this movie on a whim. Two of my friends asked if I wanted to go out and watch this movie, and since I had nothing better to do, I said yes. I didn't think this movie would be that bad since people have called it the 'newer and more modern version' of "Beauty and the Beast". They didn't add that it fails at doing so.

Kyle was born handsome and has had everything handed to him on a silver platter since. One night, he offends an enchantress which leads her to cursing Kyle and turning him into a beast. In order to break the curse, Kyle must find someone who'll love him despite his looks before the last flower of spring blooms.

"Beastly"'s plot is a lot similar to that of Disney's "Beauty and the Beast", but I'm afraid that "Beastly" just doesn't compare to the magic and emotions that "Beauty and the Beast" shared with its audience. Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens, while being well-known actors, just don't commit here. Their acting, particularly Hudgens', felt flat. On screen, they did make a cute couple, but that was all it was. They just looked good together. For me, I thought that there was no build-up and not enough back story for their romance to feel real. Disney's Belle and the Beast did a far better job than them.

Neil Patrick Harris saved this movie. When he first appeared on screen, murmurs of "It's Barney!" were heard all around. Obviously, Neil Patrick Harris is a very famous actor. But despite his big name, his acting was great and he did not disappoint. In almost all of his scenes, he managed to get laughs from the audience. It almost felt like it was really Barney Stinson who was the one acting. He was the one thing that made this movie enjoyable and bearable. I'm sure many people agree with me.

While not the best take on the famous Disney classic movie, I don't feel like this movie deserves a flat-out 1. The movie did have a bit of charm. First is Neil Patrick Harris who was great here. Second is how cute Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens looked together. And third is the comic relief that the movie gives. That's basically it. If ever you decide to watch this movie, don't expect it to be as great as "Beauty and the Beast".

Viewed on: April 27, 2011

Waste of my time.

Author: Derek Kooi from United States
5 May 2011

Just wow...

There is near nothing I can say that is good about this movie. After watching the first 5 minutes I can't really say I was very optimistic.

I'll start off by saying that the writer was probably 12 year old. There was no spark between characters and all the "lol"s were cliché or just plain dumb.

As I said The main characters had absolutely NO chemistry. I could swear I was watching a middle school play with all the awkwardness between actors in the more romantic scenes. There was just no emotion.

Vanessa Hudgens was overdoing every aspect of her role. Her facial expressions were just way over the top. Please don't even get me started on her horrendously fake laugh. I think she was trying to go for something cute, but instead got more of a squealing rabbit.

Alex Pettyfer, also know as "The Beast" in this modern adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, on the other hand put just the right amount of "it" into his character. As long as that "it" gets some some more acting lessons I may, MAY watch another movie with him in it. Problem is, his dreary voice just forced me to not care about anything he was saying. I saw him in I am Number Four, and I personally say that he should stick to action movies for a while, so I don't have to hear his voice as much.

I found myself, on multiple occasions, looking at my phone to see if someone had sent me a text. Unfortunately no, none of you did. So, I had to sit through that entire thing. Trust me there were many times where I just wanted to skip to the next scene, but I know if I did I would have heard "but you never even saw the whole thing". Well I did. And I regret every second of it! I have to say, I don't see why Neil Patrick Harris had stooped himself to this level. I enjoyed actually watching his portrayal of a blind man. Probably the one and only entertaining thing of this dull movie.

I never read the book, so I can assume this is another one of those "Read it, but don't watch it" kind of movies. I'm sure anyone on IMDb that gave it a rating about a 4 probably has read the book and feels obligated to be nice.

So in case you haven't figured it out yet, NO! I would not recommend this movie to anyone. I would rather look like the beast in this movie than watch another hour of it. Please don't make me do it again! 3.5/10

"I've seen worse" ... Really? Well, I haven't when it comes to recent films.

Author: ThatsWhatTheyTellMe from Canada
15 March 2011

As an avid supporter of fairy tales, a particular favourite being Beauty and the Beast, I went to see this film despite its horrendous critical reception. I usually enjoy mindless, simple teen trash for what it is and was even somewhat intrigued by the film's trailer. Unfortunately, calling "Beastly" teen trash would be a generous understatement.

The film's screenplay is no better than the work of a high school student trying to write a short story during their creative writing class. There is rarely if any witty dialogue and many of the lines are laugh-out-loud funny in their obscurity and cheesiness. There are a few very simple plot points in the film and the rest is just utter nonsense and one overly long and painfully uninteresting montage after another. The film should have spent more time developing characters and less time on these useless montage sequences that are so painfully tedious that I actually joked with my friend about falling asleep in the theatre several times.

The acting is pretty mediocre. I'm not going to call Hudgens or Pettyfer abominations to the craft of acting, simply because their characters didn't have nearly enough depth to allow them to prove whether or not they can act. Mary-Kate Olsen stands out as one of the few redeeming qualities this movie has. Her character is instantly biting and likable; she causes you to crave more screen time for her character throughout the film with her adorably wicked smirk and eerie vibe. Neil Patrick Harris is underused in what could have been a potentially interesting side character but manages to try and salvage his poorly written material.

Basically, this movie feels longer than it is, causing many of us to wish it would just be over. Nothing interesting happens that didn't occur in the trailer. There are many unnecessary plot elements, such as something that happens with Hudgens' character's father towards the end and then is sort of just solved off-screen with no real explanation. It's a tedious film and the ending is a cop-out that leaves a bad taste in your mouth as it completely undermines the supposed message of the film. And to top it off, they didn't have the decency to even attempt an epic climax. The climax and final embrace of the romantic leads is truly uninspired and pathetic. Just like the majority of this beastly excuse for a film.

Reimagined Beauty and the Beast is a near miss

Author: SnoopyStyle
16 March 2014

Buckeston Academy is an expensive New York High School. Kyle Kingson (Alex Pettyfer) is a rich, popular, vain, arrogant student. Lindy (Vanessa Hudgens) is the sweet scholarship student Kyle never bothers with. Kendra (Mary-Kate Olsen) is a witch and after the latest insult from Kyle, she turns him into a hideous mess. He won't turn back unless someone says 'I love you' within a year. His father Rob (Peter Krause) is shock and sets him up in an apartment. Kyle isolates himself and his father doesn't even visits anymore. Only the maid and a blind tutor (Neil Patrick Harris) is left in his life. Kyle starts following his schoolmate Lindy as his possible salvation. He rescues her from a dangerous drug dealer and forces her to stay with him.

Kyle is a douche at the start. Even the rescue is tinged with a lot of self interest. The setup and that whole world is one fake construction. It's not fanciful. It's just false. Whereas 'Beauty and the Beast' takes the POV of the beauty, this takes the POV of the beast. It doesn't improve anything. Quite frankly, none of the actors do a good job. There is no chemistry and no passion. It's an interest attempt but a near miss nevertheless.

Fails to become a classic. But doesn't really miss either.

Author: moviesrme10
24 June 2013

Beastly. Wow, I never that would be a movie title. Wow. But the title my dear readers, is not the problem with this film. Nope, we have actually worse things to tell about this film than its title. Well this film has issues, but anyways let's just get to the bad things with this film; they include the cast, acting, script, plot, and ending. This movie fails to cast a group of actors that actually want to be in this. I mean you go and look at Mary Kate - Olson and she looks like she would just love to get shot in the head rather than put on the costume's and wigs and be all witchy. I swear I can think of at least 10 other actress's that would have been way better and more excited in the rule then her. Alex Pettyfier is not a bad actor. It's just that while he's good in the role, he and Vanessa Morgan share no chemistry. Its way unrealistic. Zac Efron, however CAN share chemistry with Vanessa and make it believable. Alex, even though he's probably the best cast out of the lot, could have been replaced. It might have saved Vanessa, from suffering with poor acting. The script is very mediocre, and cheesy. I find all the lines un-inspired and repeated threw out the film. It's like the writers couldn't find anything for the actors to do except call Alex "ugly", and for him to say "she will never love me", and "I'm so hot, and I'm so ugly" it's like shut up we get it. None of it really works. It's all bland, bland, and bland. And product advertisement, product advertisement. That goes with the plot to. It's so UN - original. Okay, so I get it your trying to rip- off of "Beauty and the Beast" okay- okay. Now what's new here? Where does this story go? I mean I feel like I'm watching a darker version of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. So what do we have, that's new. Okay so we have a guy, a handsome guy, who knows he's handsome. Who pisses off a witch girl, and gets turned into a monster. And so he needs a girl to turn him back by falling in love with him, and bla bla bla. What's original about that? That's Beauty and the Beast, but with a less attractive title. The ending was so ugg. It was unsurprising let's say that. Alex ends up saying a very cheesy line from the cheesy script, the two falls for each other they hug, kiss. The end. Oh and the dad ends up getting the same thing his son got. Wow, I was so surprised by that very quick ending. Poor. Now onto the good things with this film which include, the make - up, opening, Alex Pettyfier, jokes, music. Okay so probably the highlight of the film is indeed the make - up. It is very well detailed, and very good eye candy. When I look at Alex's face after he turned into a ugly beastly character, he looked so neat. And while he looked d like a freak, he looked very well detailed. And realistic in the make - up. I loved it, I just love the different tattoos and silver scars on his face, and neck, and arms. It all works very well. The opening which was with Alex Pettyfier announcing how rich and beautiful, was very well acted, and even though the lines were very cheesy in that scene, and so very much absurd, it still was able to start the film out with the main idea on why he was so beastly, and it was just well a good introduction into the dastardly character Alex played. This leads me into my next topic which is about how Alex suited the role. While I think he should been replaced with Zac, he wasn't a poor choice for the role. He was very convincing as the self - centered jerky character that is Beastly. And very convincing I really liked him. The jokes in this film are very good. While the jokes were definitely not supposed to be in this film and were done by accident (apparently) this film did hold me over for those few jokes that snuck their way onto the scripts. And I loved em! I loved the opening music, which was catchy and got people's attention, Well All and All, this film is not a successful romantic film, and fails to become the classic "Beauty and the Beast' was, but with the help of a few detailed works, and a very attention grabbing trio, we don't have a miss either. C-

Beautiful

Author: denbra99
21 August 2014

I don't even like love stories.... this was a fantastic movie!!! I saw I am Number Four and I loved it so i thought i should check out Beastly, was expecting a bad romance, especially because i didn't even like romances, Im more of a sci-fi action kind of guy, but i was very surprised! this movie was amazing! I found the movie on you tube actually while searching for the trailer and decided to check it out! definitely worth it! 9.5/10 --------- ____________ ------------ ______________ ----------------- _________________ ------------ ____________ -------------- ____________ --------------- ____________ ---- --------------- _______________ -------------------- _____________ ------- ----------- ______________ ----------------- _____________

You might like it if you are a teenage girl...

Author: Liz Beth from Europe
8 September 2012

The film has to do with the hot guy that cares only for the appearance of others, but after a curse, comes to realize that beauty is more than you see. The classic "Beauty and the Beast" concept, with two of the most "regular" actors of my generation. Of course it's "teenage-girls" targeted and I think that this category might like it, cause of the actors and the sometimes "fairytale atmosphere".

OK, here's my opinion though. So you shave the head of a kind of handsome guy, put on some tattoos and expect him to be -what!- ugly? And you think that it's "Beastly" too. I saw nothing beastly in this film.

Then there is the "why Hollywood teenage films have to promote the beautiful girls for average?". Especially in this film, where it's theme is that inner beauty is what counts. I read that they tried to make Vanessa Hudgens look normal (as they wanted to do with Twilight's Bella). They failed (both times) for me! We ended up with a leading actress who's attitude towards camera had nothing to do with an average-looking girl. She is actually a pretty girl, so I know it would be silly to make her look ugly, but why put so much effort to look breathtaking? It looked fake to me!

I also didn't find any chemistry between the two main actors. It didn't touch me not even a little. I wasn't sure if I wanted and expected them to end up together, though I knew that was the concept. And what kind of cold ending was that? It caught me of guard. I did't expect it to be "too much", as screaming and crying, but this was way too cold!

I didn't want to sound too harsh, it's not a horrible movie! Neil Patrick Harris was excellent for me and made me give a total of 5/10 to the film. His role and the general friendly scene made me not to feel like I wasted my time watching it, but I have no interest in doing so again. It's just the kind of movie you watch and the next second you have already forgotten that it exists.