IMDb > Beastly (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beastly

Beastly More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

May disappoint readers of the book, but not a bad movie

Author: wareaglegurl
4 March 2011

If you've read the book Beastly, you're probably pretty psyched about the new movie adaptation that just came out. For those of you who haven't read it, it's basically a modern version of Beauty and the Beast about a selfish teenage boy named Kyle who cares only about his looks, and after blowing off his date to the dance, a witch named Kendra, gets transformed by Kendra into a hideous beast and is forced to live isolated from the world, with only his humorous blind teacher and loving housekeeper for company. The catch to the spell is that Kyle can have his looks back if he can get a girl to fall in love with him and "see him for who he truly is" within a year. Kyle thinks this task impossible, but then fate steps in and leads him to Lindy, a somewhat awkward, but very intelligent girl. Well, this movie is one of many that did not stay true to the book very well, but was still enjoyable for anyone who didn't mind the tweaks or hadn't read the book at all. They didn't butcher it in a bad way, is what I'm trying to say.First of all, many of the names were changed and I don't understand why. It's not as if they needed to change the names; it seems like it may have been something the director(s) just did for fun. Another small concern I had was Vanessa Hudgens, and it's not about her acting. She was way too gorgeous! Whoever did her hair, makeup, and wardrobe, you hit the nail on the head with the beauty factor. I think this is the prettiest I've seen her look, to be honest. And unfortunately, that's just didn't fit with how I pictured Lindy. Vanessa's still gorgeous and I'm definitely not fuming with anger about it, but in an interview, Hudgens said, "Lindy's kind of the girl that no one notices." Umm, not with the way you were looking in that movie! I found it very unrealistic that someone that gorgeous would have the life and social skills of someone like Lindy. I think the directors were trying to stay true to the original Disney's Beauty and the Beast, being that Belle was known for her looks, but odd and independent personality. They may have also done this to emphasize even more how ugly Kyle was! Kyle also was not a furry beast like the Disney movie as it describes in the book. That I can completely understand. That would just be way too much makeup work and too much of their time. What killed me the most about this movie was the ending. It was very rushed and was so abrupt. After reading the book, I had much higher expectations.

Overall, this is a typical chick-flick that is enjoyable and pretty entertaining for those who haven't read the book, but may be a bit angering to those who have because of all the changes that were made. Therefore, if you're not dying to see it or are getting this vibe that you might hate it, just wait until the DVD comes out and rent it. It's a better book than a movie, but still great for just watching for pleasure or with friends. Read the book before or after you watch it and see what you think!

My tween daughter enjoyed this, I almost fell asleep

Author: scarletheels from Colorado
7 March 2012

Kyle (Alex Pettyfer, I Am Number Four) is a handsome, popular, rich kid who is also a grade-A jerk but blame that on his conceited, inattentive father who is more concerned about his career as an anchorman than with his own son. At least that's what the film wants you to do. Like father, like son.

After Kyle plays a cruel prank on another student, Kendra (Mary-Kate Olsen, Full House), she transforms him into a bald, boil-covered, tattooed freak. It turns out Michelle Tanner grew up to be a witch dressed in emo-inspired haute couture clothing. Oops, not exactly the person you want to invite to the prom and then publicly humiliate. He has one year to find someone to fall in love with him or he's cursed to stay ugly as hell forever. A blind girl, maybe?

Nope, Lindy (Vanessa Hudgens, High School Musical), a fellow student who moves in with him after he saves her and her father from muggers. The blind person turns out to be a tutor, Will (Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother), hired by Kyle's father. Kyle was moved into a place of his own after doctors told his father that, um no, a face transplant is not a viable option.

We are all familiar with the tale of Beauty and the Beast so we all know where the characters are headed and what happens at the end. This isn't the kind of film for special effects or over-choreographed fight scenes so that leaves the acting.

Both Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens are easy on the eyes but their acting skills have yet to be fully developed, or developed at all. It seems like Pettyfer is trying but Hudgens has one or two facial expressions in her repertoire. I've seen better acting from my daughter's sock puppets. The saving grace is Neil Patrick Harris whose comedic timing is sublime. He breathes some life into this flat fantasy.

Parents, this is okay to let your tween/teen watch but I don't recommend it.

Wasn't as good as the trailer showed it to be

Author: wondergirl1311 from United Kingdom
28 April 2011

To say it was good is really if you are seriously young or if you are in to those sappy movies where they have a happy ending. I thought this movie was going to be good but to my disappointing it really wasn't it was to some extent like beauty and the beat other then the fact there was no real look into the story. It was very quickly moving on so that you couldn't really get into the movie which was a shame really for a movie that looked so good but I guess you can judge a film by its trailer. The acting was OK but was very serious and not that romantic. I wouldn't really suggest going to see it unless you want to see a romantic film with no action or real story to it.

The only real good bit is learning how real the dad only likes his son ( Alex) when he's handsome and will do anything to get him beautiful again which made feel quite sad that's how the dad see's him.

The beast really didn't look much like a beast almost like some one with lots of tattoos also he still had a six pack so it made him look even less ugly.

So I wouldn't see this movie unless you in there with a child or want to watch some boring romantic film.

Nothing Says "I Love You" Like A Locked Door

Author: Dreamer241 from Birmingham, United Kingdom
20 April 2011

If we have learnt anything about love from Beauty and the Beast (Disney) it is that if you truly love someone you must lock them away. Shove that person in a room against their will, bolt the door and never listen to their nonsense about 'wanting to be free,' what is this freedom they speak of? In time they will begin to realise that beneath your abusive, threatening and ugly-in-certain-lights exterior lies a kind, gentle creature. A creature who likes to feed birdies, reveal libraries and much more-leave it.

Beastly is based on the fairy tale of the beautiful girl who falls in love with a monster and breaks a curse meaning instead of a minging hairy beast, she gets to live forever in a palace with a hottie who's rich. Beauty is a lucky cow. The modern message should be, love them now while their gruesome looking, later a bit of plastic surgery and a makeover and you'll get your fairytale. Just look at Colleen Rooney, she stuck around and she has a millionaire footballer who's really…good looking. Better example, as someone said on Youtube, "the future nerds and fatties of today, billionaires and hotties of tomorrow."

Beauty and the Beast is all about looking past the outward appearance of someone and discovering their personality and desiring them because of who they are. It is interesting to get the story from the Beast/Kyle's perspective of losing your adorable good looks for tattoos…and scars… because those aren't attractive at all! In this superficial world we live in it's easy to see why this loss grieved him. (Read Face-Benjamin Zephaniah) There's a scary moment when you're a kid and you realise you preferred Beast to Adam. Why is that? I imagine that it's because you get to know him as a character and see Belle's love for him grow. Through her eyes we see that he is beautiful and that Adam is…well we all remember the revelation.

I did feel that in the beginning the script was a little too clunky and didn't fit. Oddly enough Vanessa Hudgens managed not to ruin the film by being…Vanessa Hudgens. Of course Alex Pettyfer stole the show with his… everything. You want to believe that he is meant to be ugly but he just isn't. Mary Kate Olsen as Kendra/Witch was also amazing I wanted to see more of her. Hollywood just freaks me out with its weird 'be yourself but only if you're hot' message. In the film Kyle isn't ugly, he's just different which must be frowned upon! You could tell they wanted to take him all the way into emodom but there would have been an uproar- especially from me-about what they were trying to portray. I won't spoil the ending but I think you can guess what happens. (What would an emo Alex Pettyfer look like?)

The sad thing is that Vannessa Hudgens and Kristen Stewart-queens of the frozen face-will still get acting roles. Although I guess my face would be frozen if I was working with The Lautner and Alex (yes we are on first name terms.) So should you watch this film? There is a hot guy in it, it's summer do you want to overheat? It is very sweet in parts though…*sigh*

Tagline: Love is never ugly....unless you're an ugly girl

Enjoyed it, but not as much as I had hoped.

Author: archangel743 from United States
20 March 2011

I have been looking forward to this movie for some time. Usually I ignore all the clips and promos, so they don't ruin the film for me, but I was so excited I couldn't keep from watching them. Thus, I had great expectations for the film. Expectations that, sadly, were not met.

First, Alex is enjoyable as Kyle. Probably not the best, but there are many scenes that I truly enjoy his character. Little mannerisms such as his excited "giggle" or concerned look, or his phone call to his dad (excellet). There is the issue of what he looks like as the beast though. Many fans are upset that he isn't "ugly." I guess that's true, but I don't mind so much. I did enjoy the scars and tattoos, they were a stark contrast to non beastly Kyle, so I don't join the ranks of those who hated his look. Plus, isn't his "beastly" personality supposed to be the worst part? Second, Vanessa Hudgens as Lindy. I like Vanessa, and I know from promos that she was working on new tones of voice and different skills for this film. But it kind of came across as flat. Not terrible, but...almost too mono-tone. I wasn't sure who Lindy was supposed to be. She had a lot of different airs about her. Happy go lucky; stand off-ish; in love; in disgust. Maybe that's just how real women are, confusing. :) Third, Neil Patrick Harris and the housekeeper. One word for both of them: Excellent.

Finally, the plot. Here we go. I can suspend belief and believe in the magical curse, easy enough. But...(SPOILER..kinda)..."Let her live with me or I'll turn you in to the police" Say what? It is almost too much to believe. (END of SPOILER) Another hard part for me was that there was NO ACTION!! There was a tad in the middle with the druggies, but that was it my friends. Even at the end, there was no climatic moment. It just kinda hit a nice stride and stayed there and ended there. I thought I learned in 7th grade there should be a build up to a climax and then a small anti climax. None in this film. None. It's not a surprising end, just a flat one.

I truly did enjoy the film, but felt when I left the theater, I was going to go back and watch the rest after dinner. Like it didn't quite end. Will I watch it again? Sure, I really like Alex, and Vanessa is good, but I'll just remember when I watch it again that my expectations should be lowered.

I've Seen Better, But Definitely Read the Book

Author: arwenelve13 from United States
7 March 2011

*** I don't think this is really a spoiler, but just in case…

For those of you (like me) who read the book, you will be sadly disappointed.

For those of you who are seeing this solely to see Alex Pettyfer with his shirt off, you probably won't be.

I must say, being a fan of the novel, I was excited for this to come out. So you can imagine my disappointment when (after waiting, what? Eight months? Seeing as they changed the release date) the movie did not meet my expectations. For those of you who didn't read the book, take my word for it that many aspects were unnecessarily changed in the movie. For instance, their NAMES. In the book, his name is "Kyle Kingsbury", but they changed it to "Kingson" in the movie. Also, his name becomes "Adrian" in the book. Yet they call him "Hunter" in the movie instead. Why? I don't know. Such a change may seem insignificant. But if it matters so little, why bother CHANGING it??

Plus, as much as I love Neil Patrick Harris, Will was much different in the book (but I won't complain because NPH provided some much needed comedic relief). And many other parts of the plot line were changed (like why Vanessa Hudgens' character was in the house with Adrian - I'm sorry, HUNTER – in the first place.)

Also, they changed the ENTIRE ending – even though the ending in the book was better.

So, overall, the book was more suspenseful. If you like relatively pointless but somewhat charming love stories, you'll like it. But if you read the book, I suggest you wait to rent the DVD.

My teenage girls love it

Author: cg_angels from Canada
23 March 2011

My girls begged me to take them to see this movie as they are big fans of Vanessa Hudgens, Alex Pettyfer and Mary-Kate Olsen. As young teenagers of 13, they both loved the movie and would rate it 9 out of 10. I however, will rate it a 6. My favourite character was Neil Patrick Harris (Will), the blind tutor.... he made me laugh at almost all the scenes he was in.

I did enjoy some of the characters, and Vanessa was very convincing as Lindy, and played her part well. I enjoyed Mary-Kate's character as, Kendra. It was fun seeing her in a different acting role then the many years of having watched her on Full House and all those cute Olson Twin movies. So all in all, I enjoyed my evening out with my girls. Please keep in mind that we did not know this movie was based on a book, which is probably why my girls enjoyed it so much.

"A" for effort ... and makes you wonder about ...

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
5 April 2014

... what sort of movie this would have been with different actors? First and foremost this is the kind of script you don't really see much of anymore, especially in teenage rom-coms. It is as much a stage play as a movie script. Percentage-wise, the number of scenes with the same two characters BY THEMSELVES running lines off each other (Pettyfer and Hudgens) is very high. And therein lies the good news and the bad news. The good news is that Director/Writer Daniel Barnes took risks, the kind of risks you can only take when you are, in point of fact, both the director and writer on the production. He placed all his trust in his actors, and gave them lots of room. The bad news is that it doesn't always work. I am not sure where the fault lies -- since with issues of "chemistry" you need something to compare to -- but if I had to guess, I would point the finger at Hudgens. This film was done at the end the very unusual arc in her career when, as far as teen movies went, she was the "it" girl, she was the girl every high school guy would sell his parents to gypsies for. Whether or not she can deliver this promise is another matter. She is cute, she is sweet, she is vulnerable. But that's fine for love at a distance. Love in tight closeups with tricky dialog is another matter entirely. (If you want to see a quirky Disney rom-com done to sizzling perfection, look at THE CUTTING EDGE, also in my reviews, where the characters completely sell the romance from the first scene, to the delight of the audience). A very ambitious effort which never really hits the target.

Not Terrible- Had Some Good Moments

Author: thetruth45 from United States
17 April 2012

Movie was kinda cool, there were parts I liked and parts I didn't like. Overall, the flaws drag the movie down to being a decent weekday movie while you browse the internet and pay bills. Not a movie you devote 100% of your attention to but definitely interesting background fodder.

Parts I liked: The plot was interesting (albeit common)- a good looking guy who sucks at life turns ugly and has to change his internal persona to become good looking again. The girl who played opposite the Rich Schmuck turned beast was pretty good. She was "for the most part" likable (there were issues I had with her which I will address later but she's the kind of girl you'd hope to land in real life...for the most part). The ending was sweet and made me borderline cry (weird I know). The ending where you realize the Rich Schmuck's dad is going to get screwed just like his son did....pretty cool.

Parts I didn't like: The movie is so incredibly short (like an hour and 20 minutes) that none of the relationships are developed (not even a little bit). The reason the movie gives to get this girl to move into the rich schmuck's house is kinda bizarre(i.e. he breaks up a fight, the girl's dad then turns a gun on the bad guy and kills him, so in exchange for the rich schmuck not turning this guy in he blackmails the dad to give him ownership of his daughter- I mean it's completely bizarre). I didn't like that this girl who falls for "the beast" already liked this guy before he became "the beast." This guy is a total loser douche bag before turning into "the beast" (giving speeches about how he's awesome and rich and how everyone who's ugly sucks, humiliating women in public, etc). I mean there is not a single redeemable characteristic of this kid so it really undermines this girl's character that she LIKES THIS DOUCHE.

Lastly, that they have to rely on weird tribal looking tattoos and tree tattoos and metal rivets in his face to make him ugly is stupid. A lot of those tattoos were pretty bad ass and would not be a turn off. The face tattoos were gross but the body ones were kinda cool. There should have been a better effort to make this guy ugly instead of relying on tattoos and piercing (the costume designer needs a reality check).

Overall it's a C+: decent story, cute girl, some nice romance, that is hurt by it's bad costumes, douchey lead, bizarre story twists, and lack of character development.

Beauty within a Beast

Author: Moviefanstar from United Kingdom
22 February 2012

Kyle (Alex Pettyfer) lives with his dad who doesn't think nothing but himself, this buts a downer on Kyle, and he ends up getting the attention from his school friends, as Kyle talks to the school witch (Mary-Kate Olsen)she teaches him a lesson, a lesson in looks. She warns him if he doesn't find love in a year he will remain looking like a beast forever. Kyle is set away from school by his father who doesn't want anyone to see him like this, only his housemaid helps try see light but Kyle doesn't care, even a hired blind tutor (Neil Patrick Harris) doesn't help him till, someone changes Kyles heart, a young lady from his school called Lindy (Vanessa Hudgens) he ends up helping her out showing what he looks like but giving her a false name. His heart is set on her knowing she be the one, his tutor and housemaid helps him and has she about to leave and time as ran out, he knows he gonna remain a beast forever, but will she change her mind before she goes.

Page 2 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]