IMDb > Cornered! (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Cornered! More at IMDbPro »

Liquor will kill you

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
14 February 2010

I sat down to watch this movie with no particular hopes, a horror movie with Steve Gutenberg?

Well, the movie actually turned out to be quite alright, not overly scary, but it had its moments of thrills and suspense.

The characters in the movie were particularly colorful and hilarious. Lots of different addictions going on there. A junkie going cold turkey and having a phobia of bugs, a sexphone operator addicted to ice cream, a liquor store owner addicted to alcohol, a guy addicted to donuts, and a woman smoking way too many cigarettes. All of these quirky characters came together in a good wholesome story. The dialogue was good and funny.

The concept of being locked inside a liquor store with a killer prowling you was something new. Never seen that scenario being used before.

Sadly this is one of those movies that are very predictable. You will figure out the plot and the ending well ahead of time. But the movie is still worth watching, because you want to see what happens to the quirky characters.

I found the movie to be alright. Not a movie you will watch a second time though. And despite it being a horror movie, it doesn't deliver any major frights.

Entertaining!

Author: mark45455 from United States
28 March 2011

If you like thrillers/slasher films, you'll probably enjoy Cornered! Set in a single location, a liquor store besieged by a notorious serial killer, the film follows several employees as they play poker after hours. Among the characters is a drunk, a hallucinating drug addict, a phone sex worker, a fat guy who can't resist donuts, and a hooker. The movie does a lot of character exploration, but still manages to kill them off in succession, including some cool scenes in which they're killed in the way that they said they wanted to kill the killer. Steve Guttenberg is back, and I couldn't be happier to see him in something like this, a completely different film that we don't often see him do. The film is slow to build suspense but it keeps it going steadily until the end. I'm a big fan of masked killers, and I wish we saw more of this main character, but by no means was he completely absent. The ending suggests a sequel, and I hope we get to see one that's as entertaining as this original.

Curses like chickens...

Author: Igor Shvetsov (i.shvetsov@gmail.com) from Lusaka, Zambia
7 February 2010

I found quite enjoyable this little horror opus about a ruthless serial killer wrecking havoc on a bunch of misfits trapped inside a convenience store.

If not at all a masterpiece and neither entirely original, unlike the majority of recent entries to the horror genre that seem to be annoyingly cloning one another, this one was pretty well made, with credible performances (both comic and downright dramatic) from mostly lesser known cast, good camera work and skillful directing.

Honestly, the horror aspect of the film was not especially gripping and not that innovative. Gore hounds will hardly be seriously engaged, despite several creepy moments and some fleeting and usually underlit scenes of violence.

What impressed me most of all were the cohesive team work, colorful and likable characters, often sharp and amusing dialogs.

Well that wasn't my main point. Here comes a serious spoiler.

Sadly, this one might yet have become an edge-of-your-seat thriller unless a substantial (hopefully unintentional) strategic lapse of the creators.

I doubt they have deliberately made obvious the identity of the malefactor. But an astute and observant viewer, somewhere in the midst of the mayhem, would definitely recall the order of opening credits and say to himself: "Wait a minute, where the heck is..?". So this wannabe unexpected little twist towards the end turns out to be a blank shot if not a pure disappointment.

Good for the casting director, at least, not to suggest Brad Greenquist for the leading role.

Anyway, regardless of some flaws and drawbacks "Cornered!' is still a respectable effort. One and a half hour slipped away like fifteen minutes, and I never regret watching this cool stuff.

Not a Bad Little Film

Author: gavin6942 from United States
13 August 2013

During their nightly poker game a group of lowlifes are terrorized in their own convenience store by a masked killer.

The highlight of this film was obviously James Duval as Jimmy, who is going through heroin withdrawal. He puts on perhaps the best performance of his career. Although I learned to love him in the films of Gregg Araki and in "May", he seems to be starting a second -- even better -- phase of his acting, as seen here and in "Sushi Girl".

While there is little else here that is all that memorable, and some moments seem a bit clichéd or hackneyed, it is not a bad little film. Certainly better than the average lower budget horror film. And it is great to see Steve Guttenberg, a wonderful actor whose time is not yet over.

Guttenberg - moving away from his typecasting...

Author: sarah45101 from Belgium
25 March 2011

The most effective scenes in this film come when it focuses on a single character, such as James Duval's Jimmy, who is hallucinating from heroin withdrawals. Steve Guttenberg, who is only in about twenty minutes of the film, also delivers some convincing lines, moving away from his typecasting as the goofy guy. He's solid here, especially in the last ten minutes. The film stays away from blood and gore, opting instead for the psychological punch. What's most interesting is the things we don't see, like the outside world, which doesn't exist here. The film is entirely focused on a single store, shunning the outside world. It's like the director wants us to be confined, along with the cast, in a single room, so that we may also experience their terror and confusion.

Unpleasant and Stupid Low-Budget Film with Fake Reviews

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
29 July 2011

In Los Angeles, a serial-killer with unknown identity is slaughtering clients in convenience stores. The steals the surveillance tapes and the police department has offered a US$ 500,000.00 reward for him.

In a trashy convenience store, the owner Steve (Eduardo Antonio Garcia), his clients Mona (Ellia English) that works with phone sex and the whore Jess (Elizabeth Nicole), his employee Donny Donut (Peter Story) and his junky nephew Jimmy (James Duval) discuss with the carrier Morty (Steve Guttenberg) what they would do with the serial-killer if they capture him.

Morty goes away and Steve invites the group to play a poker game, with Jimmy is affected by the forced abstinence. Out of the blue, they are attacked by a masked killer during a night of terror.

"Cornered!" is an unpleasant and stupid low-budget film with fake reviews promoting it. The uninteresting and dull story has lowlife characters and never holds the attention of the viewer. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Brutal! A Face do Demônio" ("Brutal! – The Face of the Demon")

A lot of overacting, but still fun

Author: Zandriel Grimm
7 January 2017

I really enjoy this movie! I was searching for this movie for years because I caught the second to last kill while watching TV one day I HAD to find it. But I couldn't find anything for a long time.

BUT. When I did see it? I had to watch the whole thing. The acting is pretty decent, although there are a couple bad moments in the film and a lot of the main characters over-deliver their point. However, I'm just fine watching this movie cos the effects are decent, it doesn't drag on too long and I really actually like this.

No where near the best movie ever, but even for a low budget film, I still give it 6 stars out of 10

The grocery slasher: He'll make all your wishes come true

Author: kapelusznik18 from United States
27 December 2015

****SPOILERS**** Talking over the news about the latest crime committed by the bodega/grocery killer with the local friendly delivery man Morty, Steve Guttenburg, bodega owner Steve, Antonio Garcia, and his friends talked about capturing him for the $500,000.00 reward money and what they'd do to him before the police arrived. It just happened that the killer was targeting Steve's bodega that night and planning to kill everyone there. It all, the killings, started when the masked killer knocked off the homeless vagrant, who lifted a bottle of cheap wine from the place, T. J, Rolando Bpoyce, just to keep in practice for the big upcoming event he planned that night.

With Steve having his weekly poker game with friends the killer slowly knocked them off one at a time using the very methods that they said they would use on the killer if they caught him. With all the poker player murdered including Steve it was now up to the two survivors the sexy Jess & and the dough-nut eating and beer drinking Donny, Elizabeth Nicole & Peter Story,to get help before he finishes them off as well.

***SPOILERS***Trying to get help all of a sudden Morty shows up with his daily beer delivery but instead of getting help he decides to catch the killer all by himself and get the 500 G's reward money that he can use for his retirement planning. With both Jess & Donny locked in the store and Morty the delivery man trying to be a hero in capturing the killer it soon becomes very apparent who the killer really is! That to the total shock of Jess who ended up losing her head and Donny who ended up getting stuffed with his, before his stomach burst, last dough-nut.

Fun, entertaining and highly enjoyable

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
17 September 2012

While gathering together for a card game in their convenience store, a group of friends find themselves the latest victims of a serial killer's rampage against similar employees in town and race to escape before they all succumb to his fury.

This one turned out to be quite exciting and enjoyable. Well, supposedly this was going to be a hybrid slasher/comedy but instead, it didn't really do either all that well and still came away rather enjoyable. The comedy elements are the biggest miscues, being not at all funny and really just lame that tend to make the film far longer than it really should be because the middle section is just so boring and dull that not a whole lot really registers. Once they come aware of their being stalked and hunted, it turns into a rather enjoyable affair with some big suspense scenes set within a location that really doesn't set itself up as being capable of doing so, and a rather nice twist that allows for some brutal kills to come along. While the killer isn't that threatening and it does have some other flaws, this one does become a lot more watchable as it goes along.

Rated R: Graphic Language and Graphic Violence

Surprisingly Enjoyable Slasher

Author: mattressman_pdl from Iowa, United States
22 August 2011

Being a hardened, jaded horror buff this reviewer was tired of seeing a bunch of clichéd, attractive teens with the personality of a thrift store being killed over and over by the same kind of stalker. Along came Cornered! and I must say that I'm glad that I didn't listen to all the negative feedback on this site.

A group of real people are trapped in a liquor store after a killer breaks in and begins stalking them. This killer has an odd penchant for murdering convenience store clerks and the like before stealing the security footage and watching his own handy work.

The pace is what scared a lot of people off and it does tend to be a little slower than one would hope for. But it's just a minor complaint as the rest of the cast performs quite well, the villain is interesting, and it held my attention for eighty-two minutes. And wasn't it nice to see Steve Guttenberg again?