IMDb > Kambakkht Ishq (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Dated, Dumb Bollywood Camp

Author: changmoh from Malaysia
3 July 2009

Gosh, I thought that they had buried movies about the 'battle of the sexes' and 'swashbuckling stunt-men' way back in the 20th Century. And yet, here it is, all exhumed, reanimated and outfitted with Hollywood names the likes of Sly Stallone, Denise Richards and Brandon Routh - and called 'Kambakkht Ishq'. The title is derived from the popular number, 'Kambakkht Ishq' from Ram Gopal Varma's film, 'Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya'.

Directed by Sabbir Khan, 'Kambakkht Ishq' is loud, crude, clichéd, campy and utterly predictable. And if you are curious about the (advertised) roles of its Hollywood supporting stars, let's say that their parts are so cheesy, you can open a pastry shop with them. Imagine a geriatric Stallone reprising his Rambo role and you will know what I mean.

The movie is a remake of the 2002 Tamil film 'Pammal K. Sambandam'. It is about a 'super' Indian stuntman in Hollywood (Akshay Kumar as Viraj Shergill) who meets an Indian supermodel (Kareena Kapoor as Simrita Rai) at his brother's (Aftab Shivdasani as Lucky) wedding in church. Both the leads are unhappy about the marriage of Lucky and Simrita's sister Kamini (Amrita Arora) and the battle lines are drawn at the wedding reception where we see the movie's most dazzlingly choreographed number that ends in a tasteless and farcical brawl.

Yeah, Viraj and Simrita hate each other. In Bollywood terms, it means they are gonna do lots of idiotic things before they finally realise that they love each other right from the get-go.

The first half is more tolerable than the second. Sabbir Khan loads the first hour with action-packed stunt sequences and dance numbers that take us from Hollywood to Italy. Then he has to take such a long time to render the outcome of the 'battle of the sexes' plot which everyone in the audience already knows. And if that is not bad enough, Sabbir Khan also does recaps of his scenes - in case we missed them or forget them! The director also could not resist crude 'American Pie' gags like having the protagonist fart in the face of a bride, having the heroine curse like a sailor; and going over-the-top with an 'anal search' scene. Character development is minimal, and the cast are unimpressive, with the age-old device of having the 'hero' supported by a clownish aide (in the form of Vindu Dara Singh). And whose idea was it to have Viraj undergo open abdomen surgery without anaesthesia? Of the stars, Kareena shines brightest in a badly-written role. She is the most watchable but alas, not quite enough good to stop this "Dumbakkht" from sinking.

Nothing Special - A Cheap Movie

Author: sushilonlines from Nepal
3 July 2009

Kambakkht Ishq is a very cheap comedy. Akshay Kumar once again fails to prove and bring new in himself. For me, this movie is nothing. Just bores you. Total waste of time and money. Very cheap comedy throughout the movie and the story says Kambakkht Ishq = SEX. I was expecting Akshay will prove himself. The only thing I found worth was Kareena Kapoor's body which director has focused very much. Anu Mallik's music is totally disappointing. Doesn't entertain you any moment. The film has no story, revolves around just one aspect sex and affairs. So, to take my word don't go for this movie. Instead sit in your home and hire some great DVDs and watch them. The film is not worth watching. Let god save Akshay...

A weak show...

Author: nama chakravorty from India
3 July 2009

'Kambakkht Ishq' has been in the buzz for a long,long time. The film has been awaited... why? Akshay Kumar and Kareena Kapoor are the lead actors, the film is produced by Sajid Nadiadwala and has 3 Hollywood Supertstars, Stallone, Routh and Denise Richards. But with all these trumps does this flick entertain? The answer is NO!

The problem with Kambakkht Ishq is that it's a senseless film. The film hardly has a script, Debutant Director Sabbir Khan makes a disappointing fare. The first hr of the film is yet passable, but the second is just unbearable. The film has 'A' class production value, but script wise, its a complete disappointment.

Pluses of the film: Sajid Nadiadwala is a classy producer, he has left no stone unturned to make this flick. Akshay, Kareena, Stallone, Routh & Denise Richards are the pluses as well. Akshay is in form once again, but he's again done a film that throws even the least amount of logic into the trash bin. Kareena looks great and delivers a good performance. Stallone, Routh, Denise are perfect in cameos. Stallone's action scene, where he bashes up the goons will be will loved by one and all. Aftab & Amrita do their parts perfectly. Vindhu Singh is just right.

Minuses: Sabbir Khan's direction and screenplay. Anu Malik's music is mediocre. Talented actors like Kirron Khan and Jaaved Jaffery are wasted in apologetic roles.

Those 5 stars are in order -- 1 for Sajid Nadiadwala's high class production, 1 for Akki, 1 for Kareena, 1 for Stallone, and 1 is shared by Denise and Routh.

To sum up the review, 'Kambakkht Ishq' is a letdown.

Dumb... dumber.... dumbest

Author: Atul Gupta from India
5 July 2009

This movie is a strong no-no for any movie lover, even for die hard fans of Akshay or Kareena. Reasons... read below.

Story: This movie is about a dog and a bitch, who cannot say filthy words on-screen because of censorship. So they go out hurling abuse on the opposite sex without any justification. The audience is dumbstruck on their own foolishness to spend 150 bucks and more so 140 minutes on the 'datum of the datums' movie.

Direction: Now they know, every asst director cannot and should not become a director. Even a stunt man could have done a better job on KI.

Guest Appearances: Neither Nadiadwala nor Sabbir has a degree in management. Else they would know that you cannot offer a product whose functionality is unknown to the customer. Stallone is OK, but how many Indians know Routh or Dennise Richards, probably less than 0.5%. Why waste so much money on big Hollywood starts who cannot translate it into revenues??

Acting: Akshay is the least exploited actor in last few years. He has such great acting potential last seen in Hera Pheri and Namaste London. But since then, he has done some of the worst movies of his career. KI is just an addition to the list. Kareena is the biggest letdown of the decade. No point hailing her as a superstar, we all know how her acting has deteriorated over the years. Her acting in Refugee, Asoka and Chameli showed such great promise. But its all gone now. In KI, she not only acts poorly but also looks ugly. Sorry to say, she looks like a transsexual in her zero figure. Instead of Kareena, they should have gone for any voluptuous babe with sexy figure like Bipasha, Shilpa or even Deepika. Aaftab and Amrita has gone down from supporting actors to side kicks to now kicked in the corner. And what the hell are Boman Irani and Javed Jaffery doing in here?? This movie is not meant for them.

Music: This could have been the saving grace for this dumb movie, just like Singh is king. But alas, music is more pathetic than the movie itself. I don't remember even one nice song to hum.

Once again, a complete disaster.

How dumb do they think we are ?

Author: Fatume from Bahrain
24 September 2009

I honestly truly believe that this movie is the worst movie I have seen in years. I hold a great respect for Indian cinema and I have been in love with Bollywood since before I could even walk my first step.

The thing about this movie is that it is ridiculously illogical in every single aspect, not to mention the lead actors serious problem of over-acting. I loved Kareena in 'Jab we met' and I thought "well this girl finally proved that she can indeed act normally", but this movie changed my mind.

To be fair though, I did laugh at times. Not because the scenes were funny, but because they were sooooo stupid that I just couldn't help myself.

Extremely silly but still enjoyable

Author: RRHowell41 from United States
6 July 2009

Don't go expecting a great movie, it's not.

But it is also not "the worst of the worst" etc. It is uneven. There are jokes that might appeal to a 13 year old that are dreadfully stale and in poor taste for adults. The scriptwriter's sense of how a person becomes a doctor in the US is bizarre. I don't know if this matches Indian practice in some way but it certainly doesn't represent even a nodding acquaintance with the American hospital scene.

The situations and language will not shock anyone used to US films, though they are probably fairly shocking for Bollywood, and I do not know to what extent the subtitles represented a taming of the language in Hindi. Someone complained about nudity--I don't count presumed nudity under sheets as nudity.

That said, there are some nice moments, and a great sense of energy throughout. If you have high tolerance for silliness, this is fun. My husband who is not a Bollywood fan, enjoyed it.

do not watch movie Kambakkht Ishq

Author: ravifree from United Kingdom
2 July 2009

please, do not watch movie Kambakkht Ishq .....

Kambakht Ishq is an illogical flick

its just cheap n head paining. its not just vulgar, but a high make-up of overacting.....

just few stunts are good..... i must say there r no real stunts rather.... no good.........

there is nothing entertaining or logical in movie.....

the actor did the job, as expected, nothing extra-ordinary.

as usual actress has its over-acting on.... and this time it was head paining i hate actress more after watching movie....and characters.......

Javed Jaffrey did his part well, but i must say, movie is getting on community(he belongs in movie), in a wrong way. That is totally, not at all appreciating :(

Don't waste your time and money by watching this movie, please.... :)

Its just Non-Sense movie.........

Utter Rubbish and Wate of Time and Money

Author: addybhai786 from Cool Planet
3 July 2009

Well, this movie does not deserve any comment. But i had to warn people if they read this before going to watch this movie.. Its not the money that i fear, will be wasted. But it is more the time and intellect that might be hurt. After the movie started, my misery also started. I had no idea what i watching. Anyways, now to the movie. The movie is neither a comedy, nor a romantic one. It falls short on all grounds. The worse part, there is no story. Just a guy who wants to impress a girl, the girl who resists men and their love. Then the whole movie rounds about the same theme with cheap jokes, stupid dialogues and worst acting from really good actors..

I just pity Akshay ... who has lost it... completely.

Poor Guy. this flop will three in a line.

Lower your expectation and presto - its total time-pass!

Author: Avinash Patalay from Middle Earth
4 September 2009

Well, with the media taking its toll on Kambakkht Ishq & Akshay Kumar - the expectations runs low and the movie turns out better than expected. Akshay Kumar must be kicking himself not having exercised caution (read that "choose wisely") when he was just between the cup-and-the-lip. Lightning doesn't strike twice my dear friend.

Anyways, the love-you & loathe you sequences start from the word go and until it reaches finale there is a fair share of story interlaced with emotion, drama, comedy, tragedy etc. Having said that, there was immense potential to improvise - but hey, who am I to say!

¤ Akshay Kumar:: Much before he struck gold I always carried an opinion that give him a nickel and Akshay delivers in dimes. Post success streak that became his style. And now - I am back to my original opinion.

¤ Kareena:: The "Poo" character return (albeit in size zero!).

¤ Javed Jaffery:: Seriously, what was he doing there?

¤ Aftab & Amrita:: Glorified junior-artistes. Reminds me of Rajendranath/ Shobha Khote of 60's.

¤ Vindu:: Good to see after a long hiatus. And trying a hand at comedy, eh?

¤ Boman Irani & Kiron Kher:: Under-utilisation at its best. Seriously - is money everything?

¤ Hollywood star-cast:: Beyond my comprehension as to why they were there in the first place. Too much of money to flaunt around I guess. The plot could have easily been based in India.

¤ Sabir Khan:: Obviously, the master doesn't teach everything to the disciple (ref. Mujhse Shaadi Karogi!)

¤ Nadiadwala:: Time to pull up your socks and ensure quality goods are delivered under your baton.

Finally, the movie is completely inspired (should I abstain from the word plagiarised?) by Pammal K. Sambandam. Had the project been executed legally involving the great thespian to overlook the proceedings - the results would have been far more superior. On that same note, yesterday I read the producers of Namaste London suing the Bengali filmmaker for copyright infringement. Hello Mr. Akshay Kumar... pot calling the kettle black eh?

Since when Kambakkth is the meaning of Incredible?

Author: jonhamms from Canada
10 July 2009

Seriously let's come to the whole point of this movie. The point is that K.I. is too ''Americanized'', not only the fact that several Hollywood stars made a special appearance in the movie, but there is some points that made the movie like that. First the characters profession, one is an ''Stuntman'' and the other is an ''Model'' the model is OK, but tell me since when stuntman's are publicly rewarded by a superstar. For example you won't see Big B giving a prize to any random stuntman. Second thing for a Romantic Comedy I don't think this movie is suitable for everyone, seriously yeah! I had few ''moment of laugh'' but that it. I can't believe how lack of content this movie had. I don't need to tell you how bad the actors were. Kareena Kapoor just did her worst performance if Bollywood had is Desi Version of Razzie Awards she would won it hands down. Same thing for Akshay Kumar since he gain popularity from Namaste London he is an Flop movie machine ''Critically'' Seriously even the music was trash except the title song and Mangalam the other's were no good to ears. This movie maybe a Hit at the box-office but for me its is a Huge Flop. 2.5/10

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]