IMDb > "Super Friends" (1980) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Super Friends" More at IMDbPro »

Weaker Period for the SuperFriends, but sill fun to watch

Author: voicemaster71 from United States
1 December 2007

Watching the SuperFriends was like a second religion to me on Saturday mornings. I recall though how much I enjoyed the full hour long format and the half hour episodes. I recall in 1980 when Hanna Barbera began making new episodes that were shorter in length and stayed with this format for several years in the early 80's. This was the only SuperFriends series not covered on the IMDb, so I thought I would take the liberty to add it. It started off as the SuperFriends Hour in 1980 and then simply became the SuperFriends in 1981 and the lost season of 1983.

They followed a basic team up formula. Every week, you had to have Superman, Batman and Robin, and/or Wonder Woman in most of the episodes, teamed up with either each other, or one of the token heroes, Black Vulcan, Samaraui, Apache Chief or El Dorado who was introduced in 1981. You also had to have an episode with the Wonder Twins and though they were the focused characters of the episode, they would get super assistance from one of their super mentors.

Aquaman was used less and mostly reserved for episodes with water, though they would still on occasion keep him out of the water like they did in the Voodoo Vampire and Mr. Mxyztplk Strikes Again.

They only made a short season in 1981 because of an animator's strike and then they aired reruns in 1982. Although they made a set of episodes in 1983, the SuperFriends were removed from Saturday mornings and we didn't even see these episodes until syndication in the 90's. The best episode from that season I recommend is the Revenge of Doom which reunites the entire Legion of Doom. But for the most part, some of these story lines are a bit far fetched. But still, I hope all 66 short episodes come to DVD. And at the same time I can see why the writers at HB went the way they did with SuperFriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show in 1984. But I still suggest checking some of these episodes out.