IMDb > Frankenweenie (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Frankenweenie

Frankenweenie More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 15: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Another dark entry into animation by the master of dark animation

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
11 January 2013

Another reviewer said it perfectly. Its good but not great and that is the simplicity of it all. Sometimes animation can blow you away and yet I found 2012 to be the year of "okay" animation. This is the second type of animated film I watched that was extremely dark and more for adults than kids or at least older kids. In fact, I was surprised at just how identical to content and idea this was to Paranorman. The big difference for Frankenweenie is that it was helmed by the master of weird pseudo-horror Tim Burton. If you've seen his other animated entries then you'll know exactly what you're in for. The characters are good, in particular Victor and his dog, Sparky. Yes, the dog had a ton of personality and really captivates which bodes well considering he is the heart and soul of the movie. It is a fun take on the whole Frankenstein story but the entire idea of a loner child whose beloved pet is killed, and then brings him back to life is a little dark for the youngsters I think. But for older kids and adults, its fun and simple and doesn't try too hard which sort of leaves it in the "okay" category. The supporting characters (something Paranorman really excelled at) don't jump out at you. They don't have enough personality despite a really terrific cast.

Charlie Tahan leads the voices well as young Victor. He has a ton of emotion in his voice and really makes you believe in his character. He gives the best performance of the entire vocal cast (impressive given the experts in this cast who get higher billing than he does.) The rest of the cast is made up of some incredible comedians and actors including the amazing Martin Short, Catherine O'Hara, Martin Landau, and Winona Ryder. I just really think they underused someone like Martin Short who can be so funny and versatile with his voices. You barely notice him and as Victor's father he is downright bland.

When you combine talent like Burton with legends like Short and O'Hara I think you just expect more. The film is cute at times and I think even for a Burton film the dark angle will really take you aback but its still a decent movie to watch. The problem is nowadays the bar for animation is set so high by Pixar and like-minded studios that animation has to consistently be better than okay. I said the same thing for Brave which was a Pixar film but far from their previous outstanding classics. Frankenweenie is worth seeing but it won't blow you away and be cautious about the really young kids watching it because I'm afraid it will scare them and open a can of worms for parents everywhere when it comes to pets and death. 7/10

The Vidiot Reviews

Author: capone666 from Canada
9 January 2013

Frankenweenie

The worst part about owning a living-dead dog is when its urine melts through fire hydrants.

While the reanimated pup in this animated movie isn't flooding its neighbourhood, it is frightening it.

After his dog Sparky is run over in the street retrieving a baseball that he struck, Victor Frankenstein (Charlie Tahan) vows to resurrect his best friend.

While successful, Sparky's return rouses the scientific interest of Victor's classmates (Martin Short, Catherine O'Hara, Atticus Shaffer, James Hiroyuki Liao) who formulate their own elixirs in hopes of resuscitating deceased pets for the upcoming science fair.

But their calculations are incorrect, and the kids instead turn their dead darlings into rampaging monsters.

Tim Burton's stop-motion adaptation of his live-action short-film, Frankenweenie expands on the Shelly-inspired kids story with a clever script and fun nods to horror history.

However, the best part of owning a zombie dog is its rotting carcass neuters itself. (Green Light)

vidiotreviews.blogspot.ca

Good old scary animation movie

Author: Tyas Arini from Indonesia
27 January 2013

This movie is quite unique because normally animation movie was fulfill by colour and visual, but this movie has black & white colour and a simple visual. And this movie have a "80's" tasty of scary movie (for children) The story is predictable. But I can't understand some part of it. And why Tim Burton didn't explain clearly? Maybe other people didn't bother this but I would, about those science project and all detail things. And I need the other character is dig deeper more and show the personality, some character has been well describe but the other was not. And in the end, are is good enough to bring someone who is already died? are you sure, your children will not try those kinds of things in home?

Not for Young Kids At All

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
21 January 2013

I am really NOT a fan of Tim Burton's dark and macabre stop-animated films. I have to admit I did not like his classics like "Corpse Bride" or "A Nightmare Before Christmas." Now, I'm afraid I would have to add "Frankenweenie" to that list.

"Frankenweenie" is about a boy Victor who just lost his beloved dog Sparky to a heart-breaking car accident. Inspired by his eccentric science teacher, Victor devised a machine to bring dear Sparky back to life. His friends try to copy his experiment set-up to revive other dead creatures with various disastrous effects, wreaking havoc on their town. The film is essentially a homage of sorts for the Frankenstein movies, with side tributes to other monsters seen in similar classic campy horror flicks of old.

First off, I believe this movie is not really for kids below 10 years old at all. The subject matter is way too mature, darkly intense and disturbing for their young sensibilities. The imagery of the dead coming back to life can be the subject of nightmares for many kids, especially those events that transpire in the second half of this film.

Technically, the stop animation here is a throwback to old style unsophisticated animation, in contrast with the very polished looking stop animation employed in a similar kiddie horror film released also last year, "ParaNorman." And that one had the more family-friendly horror story to boot.

I would not have watched "Frankenweenie" if it were not nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Feature this year. Now that I have seen all five nominees, I would probably give the award to either "ParaNorman" or "Wreck-It Ralph."

Not so good and not so bad.

Author: nsv-shvm from India
19 January 2013

Frankenweenie is a weird movie and really is a disappointment to animated films. Some scenes of the movie are very good but most part of it just a waste. This movie could have been better if directed by Gore Verbinski or not-Tim Burton. From starting to end movie was just nothing but not also full waste of time. It's animation is also horrible, in times like these even video games has better visuals than this movie. Nothing is extraordinary about this movie and nothing is too bad about this movie but I expected something better from Tim Burton, not this crap. I just wish that movie do not get any sequel or any prequel. It looks something similar to the movie Paranorman, while not comparing to Paranorman movie is not too good as I expected it should be.

One of my favourite animated movies.

Author: DustinRahksi from Canada
12 January 2013

I hardly watch animated movies anymore, this and para-Norman are the first new animated films I have watched in a couple of years. What attracted me to this film was the story about a boy and his dog. I'm the same way, being my pug dog is my best friend. I actually got tears in my eye's at certain points in the film. The beautiful stop motion is another thing that made this stand out. I've always found stop-motion very appealing, and I prefer it over CGI. Fans of horror movies or monster movies will enjoy this film. There are many reference's to the old Universal films. And for you Japanese monster fans, there is a Rodan toy in in the opening film by victor, and a turtle turns into a Gamera type monster, I really enjoyed those parts. I know I'll be rooting for it at the Oscar's, but don't expect anything. Overall it's a great movie that most should enjoy, I recommend it.

This is Tim Burton's weakest stop motion movie yet.

Author: Ryan_MYeah
11 January 2013

Tim Burton has made some truly great stop motion films in his life. I adore The Nightmare Before Christmas (even though he didn't actually direct it), and I love Corpse Bride, and I really wanted to like Frankenweenie. I'd say the first half is much better than the second half. The first half is what the movie really should be like overall. It's focusing so much on the relationship between a boy and his dog, and building on the emotion of such a relatable thing. It also manages to sneak in Burton's signature macabre stamp, including a hilarious rant by Martin Landau's character.

However, the second half takes a turn for the worst. The script turns out to be more black and white than the actual photography, it's rushed, it's underdeveloped, and Burton indulges a wee bit too much in the classic horror movie references. At the very least, Burton's visual eye has not been lost. The stop motion animation and the stunning black and white camera work are just pure eye candy. For all my problems, and I do have plenty, it's not all that bad, and it shows that Burton still has talent in him. He's just misusing it.

*** / *****

Retrospective Reviews- Frankenweenie (2012)

Author: Tyree Webster (tyreeewebster@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
2 January 2013

After Tim Burton's other film of 2012, Dark Shadows (which I wrongly gave a rating of 10), I though to myself 'How is he going to redeem himself after bringing out, let's face it, a rather appalling film'. Thankfully, he brought out the wonderful 'Frankenweenie', a film that reminds us why we all loved him in the first place.

PROS: To start off, I'm glad that Tim decided not to cast Johnny Depp in this one. As much as I love Johnny Depp, I think they should give their collaboration a rest, the voice cast in this movie is brilliant. The voices make the characters believable and likable, especially Charlie Tahan as the voice of lead character, Victor. Surprisingly, Martin Short was a good addition to the cast and so was Winona Ryder and everybody else. But, the actor/character who steals the show is Martin Landau as Mr. Rzykruski, who is actually my favourite character of the movie, and after seeing his performance as Bela Lugosi in 1994's 'Ed Wood', I'm glad to see him reunite with Burton, even if it is in animated form. Speaking of animation, the film looks spectacular, this film has some of the best stop- motion animation I've ever seen, and it suits the story very well too, which is a well structured story with good emotion and humour to accompany it. The decision to make the film in black- and- white was a brilliant decision, and a fantastic artistic change.

CONS: My only gripe is that the film falls quite short (but is well paced) and the ending should have been different, but that is just my opinion.

Overall, this is probably one of Tim Burton's best, watch it, and you won't be disappointed.

Directed by: Tim Burton

Written by: John August

Starring: Charlie Tahan, Frank Welker, Winona Ryder, Catherine O' Hara, Martin Short, Martin Landau, Robert Capron and Atticus Shaffer

Colorful As A Rainbow

Author: papaliberis from Athens, Greece
23 November 2012

Considering his expertise in stop motion technique (Nightmare before Christmas and Corpse Bride stand out as perfect examples in this field) Tim Burton could not easily disappoint in this level. And he doesn't.Yes, the 3D isn't remarkable and the retro black and white palette, might discourage the kids. But Frankenweenie wasn't made to be an eye-catching animated movie in the first place. It was destined to speak to our hearts. To our love of the departed. To the acceptance of the different. To the belief that anybody deserves a chance in this world. Burton toys once again with his movie obsessions, and delivers one of his best works in ages. He knows exactly which buttons he must push to activate humour, thrill and horror in one scene. My only complaint is, that he overplays on his references too much. That makes his movie a little predictable. Fortunately, his magic touch isn't influenced so much here, by his easy-to-misunderstand mainstream tendency.

Tim Burton resurrects his pet project

Author: eatfirst from United Kingdom
4 November 2012

In 1984, Tim Burton, a young animator / director working at Disney, made a thirty minute short about a boy who brings his dead dog back to life. His employers took one look at his mutant creation and promptly showed him the door.

Nearly thirty years on, and "Disney Presents" his feature length stop- motion reworking of that nascent project, and, after the wobbles of Alice In Wonderland and Dark Shadows, it's the most charmingly Burtonesque feature he's made in some time. Featuring all the hallmarks of his instantly recognisable style (crazy angles, spindly-legged bug- eyed protagonists, chiaroscuro lighting, all set against a fat-bottomed, shock-haired variant of 50s suburban Americana) writ large in animated form, but at the service of a simple, sweet-natured slice of Gothic fantasy.

An amiable riff on the classic Frankenstein tale, the story of young Victor and his re-animated beloved pet doesn't really offer much meat to put on the bones of his short story. But it does deliver a sympathetic portrait of childhood out of whack with the mainstream and all the healthier for it (no doubt somewhat autobiographical, in feel at least if not in the corpse-meddling details). There's plenty of fun to be had soaking up the loving homages to the likes of Universal Studios 1930s back-catalogue, a classroom full of Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney lookalike kids chief among them, leading to a small-scale monster mash that takes much the same route as Wallace & Grommit's Curse Of The Were- Rabbit, and to similar grin-inducing effect. Ghoulish fun.