IMDb > Frankenweenie (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Frankenweenie

Frankenweenie More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 16: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

self-repetition or self-irony?

Author: nattakiri from Hungary
31 January 2013

It rings a bell for all of us when someone mentions Tim Burton's universe. A bit dead-like, but very appealing characters, dark colors, trees with crooked hands. And more recently, all this combined with a disappointingly simple, tearjerker plot line and heart-warming endings. I think this is what happened here as well, from an amazing core idea something much less original came.

Talking about originality, it is only a matter of perspective if you call the director's recent art "self-repeating", "signature" or "self- ironic". As for me, I would go for the last one; with Tim Burton we are dealing with someone overtly aware of the way his style is seen, and as such, he happily exploits viewers' expectations. This kind of reflexivity should be highly appreciated, and with me, yes, I am pretty happy with that. However, it still does not help much with the Disney part.

Overall, it is a good 90-minute entertainment, with stunning visuals, just as always, definitely interesting, but I am afraid that although today I'll have semi-nightmares, I shall altogether forget the plot within a week.

Doggone Ads

Author: thesar-2 from United States
21 January 2013

There are two things I despise when it comes to advertisements: overkill and the ads themselves.

Yes, I know we "need" commercials to fund the "free" stuff we see/use, but they really are a chore to get through and when there are too many, I simply make mental notes to never, ever buy their product.

The other marketing ads I hate, and mentioned, is excess. My poppa always said, if the ad's too big, or if they over-advertise something, they have little faith in their product. Okay, I was paraphrasing there, but I 100% agree with him. Movies, these days, like the Star Wars, Harry Potter and even the Twilight series, don't even have to promote so much because they're brand names. Smaller films, or products, should advertise some, but let word-of-mouth take over.

Whoa, I digress…In Frankenweenie's case, every single movie – and I AM NOT Exaggerating, from the beginning of 2012 until the film's release in October, I saw a preview for this movie. Sometimes, even one of those stupid, Pre-Show-Countdown segments before the previews in the theatre, had behind-the-scenes clips of Frankenweenie, in addition to the inevitable preview following. It was so much overkill, so much advertising, that I vowed never to see this. Besides, it looked like an animated, though Black & White, remake of the 100x told story of Frankenstein.

Seriously, it was too much. With each over-used trailer, I wondered how bad this movie was that they had to show it to me a minimum of 4 times, per month, for 9 months. It's absolutely no wonder that it made such an incredibly low sting at the box office. (To date: $35 million domestically and overall, $66 million, worldwide. To most animated films, these days, that's about 10% or less of the normal gross.)

Now, that all said…I did break this vow – but then, I saw it at home, once you get through the first half's retread of the classic story the promos laid out, the movie actually gets better. I did find myself enjoying the "retelling/re-imagination" story Tim Burton presented. Although, I still have yet to figure out why it HAD to be in black and white. Sure, it's because, again, it's an old story, but I don't think it needed to be without color.

Young Victor brings his dog back to life after a tragic death scene and attempts to hide his secret and yapping dog. When other kids learn of this undead dog, they want in…for the school science fair. Chaos ensues and it's a fun climax of corrections.

Overall, the movie isn't up to par, even on Director/Writer Tim Burton's standards, or other "fun" animated tales. But, if you can make it through the first half – and you should, then you might be pleased with how Burton could turn his all-but boring (re-)introduction around.

Side Note: A lot of people have criticized this as not being "safe" for young kids, i.e. too dark. Maybe, I'm desensitized, but I will admit, it's not for too-young children for being somewhat violent.

Side Note II: Another example of way in excess, overkill advertising is this stupid horsey show I see billboards for up and down my work commute every morning and evening. There is a grand total of 7-8 billboards advertising some horse boutique ON EACH SIDE OF THE ROAD. I will not name it, because that's just fueling the fire I want extinguished. I mean, come on, I've heard this show is actually supposed to be good, but why do they have to over-advertise it, sometimes, every few feet with the same billboard advertisement? Even if it's good, I will never, ever, EVER see it because they've shoved it down my throat every day, up to 16 times. No need!

Devastating to watch if your dog passed away

Author: antomasov from Croatia
14 January 2013

Frankenweenie is a movie that features Tim Burton's style of characters, black and white colored, superbly directed and visually stunning at the right scenes. And it is made by puppets animated by stop motion technique and not by computer animation. This makes the realistic movements of characters impressive. Especially the movements of one of story protagonists, the dog Sparky. The dog moves and behaves just like a real dog of his size would. I would know because I had the almost exact same dog, small in size, a bit fat, but playful and intelligent. I lost my dog last year and watching this movie was almost a traumatic experience. Because in the movie the dog moves so realistically, even though it is a puppet, and his bond with the boy named Victor is heartfelt. But this is what artists do, they give life to lifeless objects and if they make you feel for their creation they are doing a fine job. Tim Burton is an artist. Not even 15 minutes into the movie the dog dies in the most heartbreaking way possible. I tried not to cry, but he resembled my own dog so much, right down to the mannerisms. I found a stream of tears start to flow down my left cheek and was properly embarrassed for myself, but there was no helping it. The way the dog dies would break anyone's heart. Because Tim Burton decided to play with the emotion in a cruel way. A boy Victor hits his first homerun playing baseball, he hits the ball with his bat and the ball flies out of the field. He is a hero at that point and feels good. But the dog flies off the chain and tries to catch the ball running across the street. He then succeeds to catch the ball and starts walking back proudly only to be hit by a car. This is such a cruel way to kill a dog, because it happens on the best day of Victor's life (hits a homerun) yet he is also responsible that his dog went after the ball and even the dog manages to get his paws on the ball and achieves his happiness before he is hit. So from that moment of happiness a steep descend into sadness and loss. Of course the boy manages to revive his dog, in a comical frankenstein fashion. But the movie will have many such moments of tossing you up and throwing you down. Expect to cry if you love dogs or if your own one passed away.

beautiful

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
12 January 2013

it is a homage. to Mary Shelley novel, to horror movies of "50's, to Bram Stoker masterpiece, to love for pets. in same time, it is a Tim Burton film. same rules, same solutions and touching drops. and a good animation. sure, the absence of Jonny Deep not is very seductive but Martin Landau is behind a nice character. short - a honest, nice story. a boy, his dog and a small town. few slices of adventures and a sweet end. and a lot a lessons about science, education, experiments result and solidarity. more than a candidate for Oscar, it is a new part of an universe. and demonstration of remarkable talent of a great director who gives to technology the clothes of childhood magic.

Another dark entry into animation by the master of dark animation

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
11 January 2013

Another reviewer said it perfectly. Its good but not great and that is the simplicity of it all. Sometimes animation can blow you away and yet I found 2012 to be the year of "okay" animation. This is the second type of animated film I watched that was extremely dark and more for adults than kids or at least older kids. In fact, I was surprised at just how identical to content and idea this was to Paranorman. The big difference for Frankenweenie is that it was helmed by the master of weird pseudo-horror Tim Burton. If you've seen his other animated entries then you'll know exactly what you're in for. The characters are good, in particular Victor and his dog, Sparky. Yes, the dog had a ton of personality and really captivates which bodes well considering he is the heart and soul of the movie. It is a fun take on the whole Frankenstein story but the entire idea of a loner child whose beloved pet is killed, and then brings him back to life is a little dark for the youngsters I think. But for older kids and adults, its fun and simple and doesn't try too hard which sort of leaves it in the "okay" category. The supporting characters (something Paranorman really excelled at) don't jump out at you. They don't have enough personality despite a really terrific cast.

Charlie Tahan leads the voices well as young Victor. He has a ton of emotion in his voice and really makes you believe in his character. He gives the best performance of the entire vocal cast (impressive given the experts in this cast who get higher billing than he does.) The rest of the cast is made up of some incredible comedians and actors including the amazing Martin Short, Catherine O'Hara, Martin Landau, and Winona Ryder. I just really think they underused someone like Martin Short who can be so funny and versatile with his voices. You barely notice him and as Victor's father he is downright bland.

When you combine talent like Burton with legends like Short and O'Hara I think you just expect more. The film is cute at times and I think even for a Burton film the dark angle will really take you aback but its still a decent movie to watch. The problem is nowadays the bar for animation is set so high by Pixar and like-minded studios that animation has to consistently be better than okay. I said the same thing for Brave which was a Pixar film but far from their previous outstanding classics. Frankenweenie is worth seeing but it won't blow you away and be cautious about the really young kids watching it because I'm afraid it will scare them and open a can of worms for parents everywhere when it comes to pets and death. 7/10

The Vidiot Reviews

Author: capone666 from Canada
9 January 2013

Frankenweenie

The worst part about owning a living-dead dog is when its urine melts through fire hydrants.

While the reanimated pup in this animated movie isn't flooding its neighbourhood, it is frightening it.

After his dog Sparky is run over in the street retrieving a baseball that he struck, Victor Frankenstein (Charlie Tahan) vows to resurrect his best friend.

While successful, Sparky's return rouses the scientific interest of Victor's classmates (Martin Short, Catherine O'Hara, Atticus Shaffer, James Hiroyuki Liao) who formulate their own elixirs in hopes of resuscitating deceased pets for the upcoming science fair.

But their calculations are incorrect, and the kids instead turn their dead darlings into rampaging monsters.

Tim Burton's stop-motion adaptation of his live-action short-film, Frankenweenie expands on the Shelly-inspired kids story with a clever script and fun nods to horror history.

However, the best part of owning a zombie dog is its rotting carcass neuters itself. (Green Light)

vidiotreviews.blogspot.ca

Good old scary animation movie

Author: Tyas Arini from Indonesia
27 January 2013

This movie is quite unique because normally animation movie was fulfill by colour and visual, but this movie has black & white colour and a simple visual. And this movie have a "80's" tasty of scary movie (for children) The story is predictable. But I can't understand some part of it. And why Tim Burton didn't explain clearly? Maybe other people didn't bother this but I would, about those science project and all detail things. And I need the other character is dig deeper more and show the personality, some character has been well describe but the other was not. And in the end, are is good enough to bring someone who is already died? are you sure, your children will not try those kinds of things in home?

Not for Young Kids At All

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
21 January 2013

I am really NOT a fan of Tim Burton's dark and macabre stop-animated films. I have to admit I did not like his classics like "Corpse Bride" or "A Nightmare Before Christmas." Now, I'm afraid I would have to add "Frankenweenie" to that list.

"Frankenweenie" is about a boy Victor who just lost his beloved dog Sparky to a heart-breaking car accident. Inspired by his eccentric science teacher, Victor devised a machine to bring dear Sparky back to life. His friends try to copy his experiment set-up to revive other dead creatures with various disastrous effects, wreaking havoc on their town. The film is essentially a homage of sorts for the Frankenstein movies, with side tributes to other monsters seen in similar classic campy horror flicks of old.

First off, I believe this movie is not really for kids below 10 years old at all. The subject matter is way too mature, darkly intense and disturbing for their young sensibilities. The imagery of the dead coming back to life can be the subject of nightmares for many kids, especially those events that transpire in the second half of this film.

Technically, the stop animation here is a throwback to old style unsophisticated animation, in contrast with the very polished looking stop animation employed in a similar kiddie horror film released also last year, "ParaNorman." And that one had the more family-friendly horror story to boot.

I would not have watched "Frankenweenie" if it were not nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Feature this year. Now that I have seen all five nominees, I would probably give the award to either "ParaNorman" or "Wreck-It Ralph."

Not so good and not so bad.

Author: nsv-shvm from India
19 January 2013

Frankenweenie is a weird movie and really is a disappointment to animated films. Some scenes of the movie are very good but most part of it just a waste. This movie could have been better if directed by Gore Verbinski or not-Tim Burton. From starting to end movie was just nothing but not also full waste of time. It's animation is also horrible, in times like these even video games has better visuals than this movie. Nothing is extraordinary about this movie and nothing is too bad about this movie but I expected something better from Tim Burton, not this crap. I just wish that movie do not get any sequel or any prequel. It looks something similar to the movie Paranorman, while not comparing to Paranorman movie is not too good as I expected it should be.

One of my favourite animated movies.

Author: DustinRahksi from Canada
12 January 2013

I hardly watch animated movies anymore, this and para-Norman are the first new animated films I have watched in a couple of years. What attracted me to this film was the story about a boy and his dog. I'm the same way, being my pug dog is my best friend. I actually got tears in my eye's at certain points in the film. The beautiful stop motion is another thing that made this stand out. I've always found stop-motion very appealing, and I prefer it over CGI. Fans of horror movies or monster movies will enjoy this film. There are many reference's to the old Universal films. And for you Japanese monster fans, there is a Rodan toy in in the opening film by victor, and a turtle turns into a Gamera type monster, I really enjoyed those parts. I know I'll be rooting for it at the Oscar's, but don't expect anything. Overall it's a great movie that most should enjoy, I recommend it.