IMDb > Frankenweenie (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Frankenweenie

Frankenweenie More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

The entire movie was a misfire

Author: info-502-442201 from United States
14 October 2012

Apparently this movie was developed out of a short that Burton made some time ago. Should have stayed a short. Unfunny, manipulative, definitely Disney hands on the story and ending, the entire thing was a huge mistake - which is why it is doing so badly at the box office. It is supposed to be a comedy, but there is little to laugh at. The lack of character development is astounding. The main character, the dog Sparky, has no character development, so the entire movie suffers. It moves in fits and starts, and is alternately boring and insensitive and cruel. The kid goes now where, and the pseudo science is inconsistent. Very manipulative in terms of action and structure. What a waste of time.

Tim Burton's best since "Big Fish"

Author: Drew St. Pierre from Maine
5 October 2012

Personally, I really like Tim Burton; I think he's a great filmmaker; he has made some great movies (Edward Scissorhands and Big Fish) and he also has done some not-so-great movies (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland and his most recent, Dark Shadows).

I haven't seen the original short film back in 1984; so, when I saw the first trailer for Frankenweenie back in March, I was really excited for Burton to bring back the Gothic tone that made his other movies great achievements. Not only that, however, this movie is also in black and white, which is rather unusual, but different than other animated movies. Sometimes, different can be good. That's what I sort of like in some movies.

I went into Frankenweenie with high expectations, and came out satisfied. I think Frankenweenie is not only one of the best animated films of the year, but it's Tim Burton's best film since Big Fish.

STORY: Frankenweenie tells the story of Victor Frankenstein (voiced by Charlie Tahan), a boy who has a passion for filmmaking and science, has lost his beloved dog, Sparky. One day, at school, he learns about electricity, and he comes up with a bright idea to make a science experiment to bring Sparky back to life. When Sparky comes back to life, people are so surprised about this experiment, and all this causes mayhem around the town.

MY THOUGHTS: The voice casting in this is great. Winona Ryder, Catherine O'Hara, Martin Short, and Charlie Tahan do great jobs. But, I think Martin Landau stole the show as the science teacher; I think I can describe him as the "Vincent Price of science teachers."

The animation in this is fantastic; not only the movie looked gorgeous in black and white; it set the Gothic tone extremely well. I just love how strange the movie looked, and I think Tim Burton did a fantastic job with this movie. The story to this is well-written. It had really good themes involving love, loss and science; the climax is very entertaining and exciting.

IN CONCLUSION: Frankenweenie is an enjoyable animated film, and Tim Burton's best since Big Fish.

Fetch

Author: kosmasp
30 May 2013

Tim Burton returning to his roots. Or at least to one of his first projects. One that he made for Disney, who surely didn't mind him making a feature length movie out of his original short story. Of course back when he first made it, they weren't that fond of Mr. Burton. But time heals all wounds I guess and it's good if you can forgive and forget in this business.

At least the forgetting part is kinda hard to come by in this movie. The cover does suggest it, even for those who didn't hear what the movie is about, plus the name is a big hint too. Names in general (character names that is) are fine and might provoke a laugh or at least a chuckle with old school horror fans. Also nice the addition of Vincent Price once again. Not only in a film snippet, but also as a voice actor and a crucial part of the story.

All in all it's a nice and scary movie. If that is possible. While I didn't feel it was better than say Paranorman, I do understand that quite a lot of people are fond of the short movie and will just love the usual Burton quirkiness. So depending on your taste, you will either like it more than me or less. One thing is for sure: It does have a few scary scenes in it, so it might not be entirely suitable for really young ones.

Funny, horrible and sentimental

Author: valadas from Portugal
13 May 2013

This animation movie combines these 3 features in an adequate proportion. A young boy who loves making amateur films in which his beloved dog Sparky is the main character sees it killed by a car on the road. He plunges into a deep sorrow for this loss and becomes obsessed with the idea of resuscitating Sparky. He learns at school that electricity can put life back into a dead animal's muscles and uses a thunder lightning to put successfully Sparky back to life after a few complicated actions. But the problem is that some of his fellow schoolmates take possession of this secret of him and adapt it to their dead pets which begets a big confusion in town and that is where a bit of horror and drama comes in without making the movie lose its funny and sentimental nature. This black and white version is properly adequate to the general atmosphere of the movie and the fact that the human characters are physically depicted in grotesque and even ugly figures very far from the usual beautiful characters we use to see in this kind of movies makes this animation movie very original in its kind not troubling us at all because faces and bodies are symbolically very meaningful after all. An agreeable movie to be seen.

Stylish But Padded, This is an Homage That's Lost its Way

Author: Sean Lamberger from Bradenton, FL
11 April 2013

Tim Burton goes back to the well in this remake of his quirky, ill-fated 1984 short film. Although its visual approach is quite different, trading kitschy live action for super-stylized stop motion, the first two acts are virtually unchanged. And while that dedication to the core concept surely deserves some praise, it also feels a bit thin for a ninety-minute feature. When it's not tossing out pocketfuls of sugary homage or good-natured parody, the plot seems startlingly content to just hang around and gaze back at the audience, right up until the climax arrives to slam on the gas and give us all a bad case of whiplash. A star-studded cast of underachieving voice actors doesn't help matters, either - Winona Ryder is particularly dry and soulless as the quiet, mumbling girl next door, and we never see quite enough of Catherine O'Hara or Martin Short. The animation work is top-notch, though, serving as a nice reminder that not everything needs to be computer generated to succeed in modern Hollywood.

A Wonderful Film

Author: Charles_Hardy from Outside Hollywood
31 March 2013

I was fortunate enough to have seen "Frankenweenie" on its release in 3D along with my son, who was overjoyed and loved it. Definitely a movie that kids will connect with and love. Even though its in black and white (to keep with Frankenstein tradition), the movie still holds your attention in these two colors.

It was truly exceptional to see in 3D and worth the extra ticket price. Tim Burton has outdone himself on this film, much better quality than some of his previous work, including "The Nightmare Before Christmas" in 1993.

Comparable to his 1984 short (Frankenweenie starring Daniel Stern and Shelly Duvall) however, this film adds extra plot points and an extended monster sequence. I especially liked the voice cast for this film. Even though they are stock actors for Burton, Winona Ryder and Catherine O'Hara stood out in this foray into animation. The best voice over that I heard was that of Martin Short, a great comedic actor.

Dark Twist

Author: cbarnhart22 from United States
20 March 2013

Frankenweenie is a Disney children's movie that has a dark twist. The main characters that the movie revolves around are Victor played by Charlie Tahon and his dog Sparky played by Frank Welker. Victor attends a local school where it shows him in his science class taught by Mr. Rzyeruski played by Martin Landau. There are other students in his class that have pets of their own. Each of the children's pets seems to have similar characteristics of the child. Elsa Van Helsing played by Winona Ryder and her dog Persephone played by Dee Bradley Baker have dark black hair that is tall and puffy. Victor and his dog sparky both are energetic and playful. The weird girl played by Catherine O'Hara and her cat Mr. Whiskers played by Dee Bradley Baker have large white eyes and are both pale white. The similar characteristics between the children and theirs pets show the closeness and the love that the children have for their pets. The unique characteristics are similar to the characters in The Nightmare Before Christmas. The theme of the movie is about a young boy Victor who brings his dog sparky back to life but doesn't realize what the negative effects a science experiment can have. Victor's dog Sparky died unexpectedly when he ran in the road to get a ball and was hit by a car. Victor was upset by the loss of his dog and would do anything to bring him back. When victor was in science class his teacher conducted an experiment using electricity. The teacher used a dead frog to show how electricity could pulsate the muscles. Victor ran home from school the build and experiment using small kitchen appliances any anything else he was able to grab. Victor waited until the evening when it started to rain and lighting started to strike. He then placed sparky on lift he built and lifted him in the sky through a window in the attic. The lighting struck and his contraption started to work and the lighting struck sparky and brought him back to life. Victor tries to keep his experiment of bringing Sparky back to life a secret but that doesn't last for long. Edgar E Gore spotted Sparky and he could not keep a secret. Edgar convinced Victor that he wouldn't tell anybody about Sparky if he told him how he brought him back to life. Victor showed Edgar how he did it with a dead fish. When Victor conducted the experiment the results were an invisible fish that was mean. Edgar thought this was really cool and had to show everyone. The other students in their class found out about this and wanted to do same thing so they could win the Science fair. The outcome was not what the children were expecting. The animals were brought back to life and they were mean and scary.

I see no reason, other than a crass desire for more money, for this film to have been made.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
20 June 2013

Tim Burton's career took off with his creation of the original film "Frankenweenie". It was a very cute and sweet short film—a homage to the horror films of yesteryear. Now, more than two decades later, Burton is back with a remake….of sorts. In fact, although the title is the same and the first half of the film is quite similar, it is much more a re-imagining of the original. The last portion, oddly, bore no resemblance to the original…and in this portion, the film became tedious. In fact, it was so bad I am shocked that it was Oscar-nominated—especially when better films (such as "ParaNorman") could have been nominated instead.

Like the first film, a boy's beloved dog is struck and killed by a car. And, the strange boy decides to revive it using Frankenstein-like contraptions that zap the carcass with electricity. This is much of the film. Then there is the new material—where several kids from school also decide to create their own undead creations in order to win a science fair. Unfortunately, the kids all end up creating monsters that terrorize, very briefly, the city. In the end, all is well….and I was thrilled that the film was finally over!

So why did I dislike the film? Well, it certainly wasn't the look of the film. Using stop-motion, they created a very imaginative black & white world that you have to like even if the plot itself is stale and the new material is simply awful. At least the art department deserves kudos. As far as the story goes, the biggest problem isn't that they changed the original story (I expected they would)—it's that the fun and comedy of the original film was non-existent and in its place was cliché-ridden and joyless romp. And, while I am not a huge fan of political correctness, I thought the way the Asian kid was portrayed was cheap and very stereotypical (his creation turned into Gamera—the Japanese monster who often battled the likes of Godzilla). Overall, apart from the artistry, I thoroughly disliked this film and STRONGLY recommend you see the original—which is very clever, fresh and fun. Or, see one of Tim Burton's good stop-motion films, like "A Nightmare Before Christmas" or "The Corpse Bride".

By the way, you might wonder why I even watched this film. Well, I was on a Disney cruise and the movie was free—so it isn't like I paid to see it. If I had, I am sure my score would have been lover than 4.

Very satisfying.

Author: thecaliforniadreamer
31 January 2013

I was one of the seemingly few people who was very familiar with the short film years before this installment, as I had watched it a good few times on TV. That, plus my love for dogs, Disney, and Tim Burton's stop motion animation, had me all set for this movie. And may I say it gave me exactly what I wanted! The flow and pace of it is admirable and the tone and plot are very unique. The characters are nice, especially Sparky, of course, who's a total cutie pie to watch. While it has it's weird parts as I expected, they work for the movie. While I can't call it a favorite of mine, It was in that "between good and really good" category, so I would recommend it. Some people try to stay away from it thinking it's too dark, and, while it may be for some kids, if you're an adult and don't like those kinds of movies, you may still actually like this one.

Great !

Author: ray-331-768935 from Australia, N.S.W
24 January 2013

Watch this film. It is tender, loving, interesting, different, beautiful, funny, charming, sweet, creative, entertaining, stimulating, scary, warm, sad, beautiful, dark, light, inventive, irreverent and here is how: Tender & loving between the lead and the subject: Interesting and different in its pace and unfolding, always holds you. Beautiful in its ability to inject really accurate humanity: Funny right from the start and in awkward twists: Charming in major roles and supporting of the leads feelings. Sweet (see Tender), Creative (see Interesting), Entertaining is a summary: Stimulating on many levels, from sentiment to adrenaline (all from a lounge chair): Scary because accidents do happen. Warm in the resolution to the tragedy: Sad when the unthinkable happens, Beautiful in the leads conquering of the impossible, for love: Dark, in the suggestion of reanimation: Light its family viewing and scenarios make it refreshing: Inventive in its use of form and disbanding from colour: Irreverent, in its depiction of model leaders.

Oh, did I mention this is a brilliant movie ?