IMDb > Madea Goes to Jail (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Madea Goes to Jail

Madea Goes to Jail More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Possibly the most touching film ever made about a black guy in a fatsuit.

Author: ungy357 from United States
9 March 2009

Tyler Perry has really outdone himself this time, making the deep artistic statement "I'm black, and I have a fatsuit." Sure, this statement has been made before by Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, and others, but Perry adds a certain panache to the blackness and the fat suit that makes this more than just a movie about a black guy in a fat suit: it is THE movie about a black guy in a fat suit.

There may be other movies out there which you are tempted to see: "Slumdog Millionaire" may have won several acadmey awards, but where's the black guy in the fatsuit? How is that a movie? Tyler Perry continues to push the boundaries of artistic excellence with drag AND a fat suit, and we can only hope some day he decides to throw bad accents and white face into the mix.

Topsy Turvy Movie

Author: jackcartlidge8 from United Kingdom
20 March 2009

This narrative can't make it's mind up. The director (who also writes it) gets confused between whether he has written a comedy, or a melodrama.

The scenes containing what we believe to be the main protagonist 'Madea' are an attempt at comedy that rely on spectacle and stereotype. The gags aren't executed very well at all (yet you can't blame the actors and actresses with this script) and I get the feeling that this has all been done before, recently in fact and better I might add.

Scenes containing Candi are melodramatic and actually not that bad. There is some good acting and the plot is well contrived. Some of these scenes question American class division and have a purpose.

So, bring these two elements together and you get a confused audience. The two stories have no relevance to each other until the end of the film when they 'collide'. I use collide loosely because this doesn't even happen. The characters meet and nothing much happens. I think they spoke together in about three shots.

The story itself lets the director down as well. It's easy to second guess (yet you wish you'd be proved wrong) and you wonder whether you are watching two different movies playing at once. The character of Madea is badly constructed. There is no development what-so-ever. Without giving too much away; Madea's involvement in the ending is complete nonsense. People who have seen this film will probably agree that she has no real reason to be there.

To sum up, this is the worst film I have seen in years. The director should have picked one of the stories instead of merging them in some sort of Nutty Professor meets Pretty Woman side show. Utterly ridiculous.

Not worth the money

Author: SenaShetani from United States
23 February 2009

I found this movie to be lacking severely in plot structure and and in character development. There are many times when the director's attempts to be funny overshadow any chance there may be for character growth. A lot of the acting was wooden and there were many clichés thrown in there that the director was hoping no one would catch onto. The ending was especially horrendous as it appears the director could not come up with anything else so just made something up.

There were two highlights: Viola Davis' role in the film and when the lights came on in the theater and we were allowed to leave. Other than that I wouldn't want to see it again.

Madea was horrible

Author: fnzlt from United States
23 March 2009

The story line went everywhere that you followed more about the prostitute than you did Madea; the main character. The connection between the two never developed and it just didn't make sense. Secondary to Madea going to jail, the plot seemed to be more serious than the title implied.

Usually, movies involving lawyers and the law, there is an explanation of how a lawyer figured out what law was broken. There was no such incidence in this movie and everyone seemed to have the same general explanation on how the prostitute should have her case re examined; even the prostitute in prison had the same explanation as the lawyers involved (you can't handle the truth!).

The moments were funny, but as a movie to make the big screen; let's just say this would have been better if it were a special on t.v. and free.

Tyler Perry is NOT a comic "genius"...

Author: thomas1652 from United States
12 April 2009

"Madea Goes to Jail" stands out in most of the movies I've seen, for one reason only: It was one of the two movies I've ever walked out on in the theater.

I admit it, I only laughed a couple times...but for the most part ,the humor consisted of nothing but shallow, harshly stereotypical and unclassy "jokes". Tyler Perry's portrayal of African-Americans is almost insulting. Not only that, but Madea was only shown for less than half of it! The only thing saving this from a 1 is Keisha Knight Pulliam's performance. She was the ONLY interesting thing about this crap fest. I look forward to more from her, but please, Tyler Perry, no more.

What a funny movie...

Author: Joseph Tyler Brown
16 December 2011

I'll keep this short and sweet. It's not Avatar, and it wasn't over produced! It's funny and has a great plot. Here is some advice, get a sense of humor. Not every movie has to be 10/10 to be good. Giving a movie like this anything less than a "5/10!" Is absurd! Quit getting mad just because this movie promotes religion and happiness. Go watch a really Hollywood movie and hop on their bandwagon! This is a real movie, from real people, from real life! These characters take me back to my childhood. Hard times and hard struggles and how in the end, God works things out! I bet half of you people reviewing this movie just hate the religious message! That's all!

The worst Tyler Perry film. See the play instead

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
1 March 2009

I'm a Tyler Perry fan. Even when I don't like one of his films I find some spark that makes me certain he's bound for an Oscar. Unfortunately this is the first time I've felt that he's missed the boat and maybe heading for a crash.

The plot has an assistant district attorney helping an old friend, now a hooker, in trying to come clean and start over while his fiancé, the DA tries to make sure that never happens. Meanwhile Madea's antics have finally landed her in prison where Madea continues her ways unabated.

I like Madea and have always found Perry's portrayal hysterical, but here Perry is awful and is way way way over the top, even when compared to the stage shows. It shows signs of Perry being distracted (with three movies a year and two TV shows how could he not) and there is a sense that he was just trying to get to the next thing. He and the some of the cast march through the proceedings as if they were Sherman marching to the sea. Perry's Madea isn't a character rather its a man in a dress saying lines (Its clear Perry really does want to kill Madea off if he gets the chance).

It all makes for the worst Tyler Perry film and the first one I can't recommend on any level. Actually cut your losses and get the video of the stage show.instead, That was damn funny and touching. Seriously this is the one Tyler Perry film that just doesn't work.

Excellent! Funny!

Author: DrDesiree Renaud-Hunnicutt from USA
26 November 2011

I was busy getting ready for the Holiday meal preparing when Madea came on television, it takes a lot to grab my attention but this did.

I found this movie to be funny, serious, silly, and a pure joy. I really enjoyed the back to common sense writing mixed in with the crazy antics of a silly senior citizen.

Since I've seen this movie I've begun watching all of the crazy antics of Madea, a true pleasure!

I look forward to more of Tyler Perry's writings, and please keep it fun and clean like it is now.

A fun watch for sure!

NOT Tyler Perry's Finest Hour

Author: www.ramascreen.com from United States
8 March 2009

Tyler Perry is back and don't expect MADEA GOES TO JAIL to be as great as Why Did I Get Married and The Family That Preys because this one is in the same level as Meet the Browns, only funny at the beginning, over-dramatic, and… halfway through the movie it's like Madea herself has run out of energy and tricks to make us laugh. After a while you get tired of the yelling and ebonic remarks. She will still be an iconic character that makes Tyler Perry's fans keep coming back again and again but this is definitely not his best work yet.

Gotta hand it to Tyler Perry though. He's loyal when it comes to gathering all his usual cast members and friends to join the gig. If you're in Tyler Perry's circle and you're an actor, you better believe it that you'll always have a spot in his movie one way or another. This whole Adam Sandler mentality is cool and all it'll get old eventually. One thing to notice, Perry has a certain way of drawing academy award actresses, in his previous movies he had Kathy Bates, Alfre Woodard, and Angela Bassets, in this one he has Viola Davis, not to mention all the famous guest stars who make a cameo and you kinda have to respect the fact that Perry champions black actors everywhere but facts aside, MADEA GOES TO JAIL could've been better.

Let me just break it down in a very simple way. Actingwise, Derek Luke, a talented young star, is set to have an emotional scene where he remembers an awful past but what you get is a laughable performance. You don't get much out of Viola Davis, as an unlikely preacher, she doesn't even get a profound moment where I'd expect her character to steal the scene, it was an average appearance, if you will. Tyler Perry better be careful playing multiple roles in a movie, the last thing he wants is to be typecast as the next Eddie Murphy and get the same shameful career fate.

The story has potential, don't get me wrong. It's obvious that there are two separate but interconnected plots and characters that finally meet in the Jail setting and Perry keeps trying to inject humor and crack up the audience every other scene but sometimes it gets a little too much and irritating, by that I mean whenever it should be serious heartfelt moment and then bam.. all of a sudden it turns into a Madea scene but we didn't get to 'digest' the previous scene quite yet and that frequent coming back and forth happens throughout the movie. Speaking of movie.. I respect that Tyler Perry is bringing his plays to the big screen and he's keeping all the Christian themes and moral values, and is it just me or he always has one evil spouse in his stories?!.. I respect all that.. but even John Patrick Shanley managed to bring his award winning play DOUBT and turn it into big screen worthy with all the necessary theatrical elements and cinematography that gives you that movie watching feel and experience, an actual successful adaptation. I long for the day when watching Tyler Perry's movies wouldn't feel just like watching another stage play.

--Rama's SCREEN--

The movie

Author: perrjett82 from United States
23 February 2009

I saw the movie this past weekend with my roommate and we left unimpressed. This movie was really 2 movies in one and poorly done due to the Candy part. When the movie started it was great with Madea, her story, and how she got to where she is now. The movie started where Meet the Browns left off which was good. The movie was great until he introduced the "moral lesson/second movie" that he is known for. The lesson was good, but it didn't fit this movie at all. The second part about Candy could've been a movie on its own and it played itself out as such. Because of that addition, I felt the movie came off choppy and as if he was just pasting movies together to make us learn something. It was like being on an emotional roller-coaster. The acting the Assistant D.A. did when he was trying to cry was a bit much and everyone in the theater started laughing. And the ending, or the lack there-of was horrible. It just cut off. Everyone in the audience was like WHAT?! This movie would've been so much better if he stuck with Madea and her storyline. Nothing really tied Madea to the Candy storyline except an over-achieving D.A. that had her case. That was it. A total of maybe 2 minutes to tie a 2 hour movie together. I personally wouldn't go see the movie again. The only reason I would buy it is for the Madea parts. I really like Tyler. I support his movies, themes, and lessons to be learned. Sometimes you don't need a message though. Just a funny movie was what we wanted to see and the message really messed the movie up. Going forward I think he should think his movies out. They're starting to become typical, expected, and sadly, just another Tyler movie. These days for a typical and expected movie I would rather save my $10 and stay home.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]