IMDb > Quantum of Solace (2008) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Quantum of Solace

Quantum of Solace (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

This was simply not a James Bond movie.

Author: KayWeston from USA
16 November 2008

What can I say? I fear this last installment of 007 will leave lots of die hard Bond movie fans (especially those older than 30) highly disappointed. No John Barry music theme throughout the movie (it only appears after the end titles); no classic line: "The name is Bond, James Bond"; no vodka Martini; no gadgets; no humor; no flirting with the ladies; this is just one of the many action movies out there. Too violent, too many killings, a very weak plot and in general all the characters are depicted in a very superficial way. It's not Daniel Craig's fault - his acting is admirable but it is obvious he had very little material to play with. Bond barely speaks throughout the movie! What were the director and the screen play writers thinking? When I go and see Bond I want to be entertained and I expect all the Bond movie clichés. What a shame if this is the way the future James Bond is going to be like.

truly the worst movie i have seen in a while.

Author: deme1995 from United States
2 December 2008

This was absolutely awful. Terrible, worst Bond move ever. To start, we were the only ones in the movie theater at all. I watched the entire hour and 45 minutes and I still have no clue what happened. Every scene was exactly the same as the scene prior. And what's the deal with the "Quantum of Solace." Talk about pretentious. They might have maybe said quantum once, but never, in the entire film, was the word solace even muttered. The film was so boring that we were reduced to talking about whether the lights on the side of the theater wall were changed every season or whether they were the same throughout the entire year. Other conversation topics included AA meetings and texting about Wal-Mart. Although I did rather enjoy being alone in the theater. You could talk all you wanted and nobody would complain. My one friend has an uncle that lives in Panama and she recently visited him there. She insisted throughout the whole movie that the particular scene we were watching was filmed in Panama, but only portions of the movie were actually filmed there. I did have a nice lunch that day; a chef salad with no tomatoes and ranch dressing. I also enjoyed two diet sodas. My friends had a pulled pork sandwich and tuna salad. So all in all the film was depravitous, with a calculatory undertone. The solubity of it was the sum of the fact that we had to walk almost ten blocks in 40 degree weather to see this flop. Disgraceful, how dare they waste my precious time and money for this crock. I should be a movie critic(that was meant to be understood as introspective, do not read aloud by this writer.)...........fade away into the abyss.

I don't believe it!

Author: lionel-14 from London, England
2 December 2008

I rate this as the most disappointing Bond film of all time. It bears no relationship to the Ian Fleming character he so cleverly created.

Neither does it have any of the excitement and invention we have come to expect of this fantastic series. A very poor script and a visual mess. The editing and pace of this film does not help, and it leaves the audience lost because of the uninteresting plot.

There are no Bond anecdotes whatsoever. Presumably the production team have decided to remove all those traditional moments that most of us thoroughly enjoyed, completely spoiling the subtlety and identity of the whole James Bond character and leaving Daniel Craig virtually without a single moment of humour in the entire boring saga. No gadgets to excite or amuse the audience, and nothing creative apart from one blurry very badly edited chase after another all through the film.

There was not even a titter of laughter at any point from the audience I watched it with, at the Odeon Leicester Square. Surely this must be the most dire Bond film ever made. there is not one single joke or light hearted aside in the entire movie.

Even the girls are very disappointing and fail to add the slightest hint of glamour or sexiness to this extremely boring epic .

It's possible that some of the original John Barry music may have helped the film gather pace, but even that has been reduced to short bursts of the Bond theme at the beginning and end. Instead, the score lacks any particular theme or memorable melodies that normally compliment a decent James Bond film.

I could hardly wait for it to end, and I am amazed that Craig or his agents did not demand some script changes to help keep him in character as James Bond.

This Is The Game!

Author: Geth Hunter from Japatchygolialand
25 July 2010

This is the Xbox 360 Review:

I am sick and tired of the brainless idiots who write in their barely formed words which,when translated from Retardeese,say that this is the worst Bond film ever made.I have to agree,the film sucked,But this is the page for the video game!Write reviews for the film on the film page,and write reviews for the game on the game page!If IMDb let me write in all capitals,I gladly would. Now that I've got that out of the way,onto the game itself.

STORY:This isn't really a Quantum of Solace game,because most of the game is set in a flashback Bond has about the moments in Casino Royale and Vesper,because there wasn't a Casino Royale game made and the plot for Quantum of Solace is rubbish.So yeah,you get to sneak around the Casino,or just stumble around drugged,there is the famous construction site chase scene at the start of the film and there is a much longer Miami chapter than in Casino Royale,where instead of just putting your foot in the door and then leaving,two of the 12 levels are dedicated to just that moment.I have to take away a mark for the hotel five hundred miles away from anything in the Quantum part,but it's still great.9 out of 10.

GRAPHICS:Very nice,with good use of lighting.Animations look fluid,textures are very rarely repeated and character modeling is excellent,with special attention payed to Daniel Craig,which is good because he'll be staring at you for half the game,which I will explain later.Some cutscenes,especially the very first one,can have boring textures and jumps in speed,but still a good job of making everything feel like the movies.9 out of 10.

GAMEPLAY:The game runs on the Call of Duty 4 engine.It switches between first person walking and third person over-the-shoulder cover.Simply look at a piece of cover and at the tap of the A button (or X if your in Sony world)you dash to cover and can't get hit.The cover mechanics aren't in any way revolutionary but there are quite a few standard options.You can look over,blind fire,dash to cover in front of you,switch to a cover beside you and the like.Sprinting to an enemy automatically engages you in hand-to-hand combat,where you press the highlighted button and watch as Danny beats the crap out of them.For the fans of Sam Fisher,there are stealth parts put in for good measure.You can carry your trusty pistol which cannot be swapped as well as two enemy guns of your choice.There are shotguns and miniguns lying around somewhere in each level.Can you find them all?

SOUND:Good soundtrack,satisfying bangs coming out of guns and voice overs done by the actual cast and not by some teenager picked off the street.Some tunes may stick in your head,such as the violins in Sink Hole.Not much else to say.At least it's not like listening to Hanna Montanna.

LASTING APPEAL:Going around the game takes about 9 hours on normal,some may even manage it in 6.There are online modes and four difficulty settings,but no split-screen or four player deathmatches.An enjoyable rental title for a week or two.

CLOSING COMMENTS:Quantum of Solace is better in every way than the film that spawned it.Brilliant graphics,excellent gameplay,online multiplayer modes and great voice overs,Quantum of Solace is a game that Bond fans shouldn't miss.Now all we need is the next generation Goldeneye.Come on Microsoft!Come over an agreement with Rare!Anyway,9 out of 10.

So disappointing

Author: bmw-guy from Canada
27 December 2009

Who do you blame for such a terrible Bond movie? Would it be the director, producers or both? Certainly can't lay it on the actors given the weak dialogue and lame story line they got stuck with. The action scenes are for lack of a better description, flash cut, meaning that each camera angle shot lasts for no more than a few seconds and when combined it becomes utterly disjointed and physically uncomfortable to watch resulting in a most tedious experience. Suffice to say that this movie failed in every element that makes a BOND movie a BOND movie: actions scenes were unwatchable/boring, bond women/drab, plot/lame, intensity/zero, fun stuff/none. I watched Quantum on my home theatre system via subscription movie channel. However, if I had gone to an actual movie theatre like I have for all previous Bond movies I would have been really offended.

So now for the depressing part; I read that Quantum was the second highest grossing Bond movie to date so my fear is that the producers of the next bond movie will have no incentive to deviate from their current formula and will deliver yet another most substandard effort. I will hope for the opposite, but I'm not holding my breath because Quantum was really, really, that BAD.

Disappointing

Author: thomasrbendall from United Kingdom
19 February 2009

All action, no plot It was extremely disappointed, especially after Casino Royale was so good!

The plot and characters were weak. The end was dull with no real conclusion, the villain was just left, although he was killed, but not by Bond. I thought the best character was Agent Fields, and she got killed off after about half an hour!

A lot of people have also stated about the title, but I think it's good, It's mysterious, it was designed especially for Bond by his creator (Fleming) rather than by a balding producer or already bald director!

Too much trying to be like Bourne, not enough trying to be like Bond for me. Lets hope the next installment makes up for it.

A Review for the Actual VG, and the PS2 Version to Boot!

Author: SylvesterFox007 from United States
18 May 2010

"GoldenEye 007" for the Nintendo 64 set the bar high, for both movie tie-in games and James Bond games. Since then, "Everything or Nothing" and "From Russia With Love" have done an excellent job of allowing gamers to feel like they were James Bond. "Quantum of Solace" for the PS2 is the latest in a long line of James Bond games, and it's decent, but doesn't meet expectations.

First of all, there's a difference between the QoS game for the PS2 and the QoS game for next-gen consoles. While the next-gen version of the game is primarily a first-person shoot, the PS2 version of the game is exclusively third-person, offers a smaller arsenal of weapons, and has much weaker graphics. James Bond looks remarkably like Daniel Craig, but the other characters look more like something from the Nintendo 64 game. Particularly, Olga Kurylenko's character, one of the most beautiful Bond girls in decades, looks decidedly unattractive here. Also, the PS2 game is missing several of the levels from the next-gen version, including only one new level, the Haitian docks, as a consolation.

Level design in other Bond games wasn't exactly complex, but in QoS the missions are far too linear. Most of the game play in the PS2 version of the game consists of running into a fire fight, ducking behind cover, then either "blind firing" from safety or peeking out to try a more precise shot. In some instances it's possible to execute a stealth attack, but rarely worth it. Melee attacks, unlike EON or FRWL, consist solely of a pistol whip, which can be effective, but if you miss you will almost certainly die. There's no departing from the beaten path to execute "Bond moves", no playing with fancy gadgets (fair enough, since Q doesn't appear in either of the movies the game is based on, "Quantum of Solace" or "Casino Royale"). Bond isn't even able to carry grenades, though several enemies are able to lob them at him. There's also absolutely no vehicle levels, which is a shame since the source material provided plenty of great moments to drive an Aston Martin, motorcycle, boat, or a DC3 plane.

The game is at its best when its letting you reenact moments from the films. Locations like the Madagascar construction site from CR and the Sienna rooftops and Perla Las Dunas Hotel from QoS are recreated accurately in the game, so that it feels like you are actually playing through the events of the movies. These are the moments the game makes a worthy movie tie-in. On the other hand, the worst aspects of the game is when it differs from the movies. Across consoles, first of all, rather than traditional cut scenes, most of the story is told through graphics like those on M's computer module in the QoS film. Plot points are quickly communicated through conversations between M and other characters following Bond's progress. Granted, the game has to combine the stories of two major films, but in the end it's still far too brief, and there's no excuse for the "tell, don't show" approach that skips over huge chunks of the plot and doesn't allow the player to be present at events such as Bond's assault on an embassy or the climactic card game in CR.

Major characters are excluded from the plot altogether. While Daniel Craig, Olga Kurylenko, Eva Green, Mads Mikkelson, and Judi Dench all provide their voice and likeness to the game, memorable characters like Gemma Arterton's Agent Strawberry Fields, Caterina Murino's Solange, and Ivana Milicevic's Valenka fail to appear at all. The characters of Renee Mathis and Felix Leiter, major players in both movies, are left out entirely. Instead, forgettable characters like Elvis, Kratt, and Dimitrios become major boss fights. Apart from Craig and Dench, the other talents from the movie (at least in the PS2 version) are underutilized, only getting a few lines a piece. Also, scenes from the movie like the Bregenz Opera House and the Miama science museum have been changed for video game reasons. While both scenes in the movies were open to the public and crowded with civilians, the game has the locations closed, forcing Bond to sneak around them after hours. Once Bond is finally in the science museum, instead of the movie's captivating body works exhibit, the room contains a few model helicopters and some boring artifacts. The game's credits even spell Judi Dench's name wrong. (They credit "Judy Dench" as the voice of M.) The game is fun while it lasts, but it only takes a few hours to play through once. With no unlockable content and no multi-player for this console, the game has very little re-playability. While fun while it lasts, QoS, particularly on the PS2, doesn't quite capture what it means to be 007, and is worth only a rental, even for hardcore 007 fans.

Bond's revenge makes for a poor plot!

Author: skatman44 from United States
22 November 2008

Bond movies are Bond movies. There are things that one has grown to expect when seeing a Bond movie. Things like great cars, cool gadgets, beautiful women with catchy names and bad guys that give Bond a run for his money. Although Quantum of Solace had great action for a Bond movie it is lacking in the all the other departments. There are hardly any awesome gadgets very few great cars, and the lead actress Olga Kurylenko doesn't show any skin or get with Bond. Since when did James Bond not get the girl in a Bond movie?? How can she even be called a "Bond girl" if she doesn't sleep with James Bond? Despite all this I thought Quantum of Solace had a weak story line. The fact that there was a secret organization that MI6 doesn't know about that is everywhere including within MI6 itself was great and film makers should have run with it as a bad guy like secret service, not a group of powerful people who are buying up land and creating a drought to take water from not important countries. On the other hand yes I get that Bond wants revenge for the death of his lover Vesper form Casino Royale and that sets up for a angry Bond and a movie with lots of action but Quantum of Solace could have went a whole different direction that would have made for a much more interesting film. All-in-all this was great action film that doesn't live up to the Bond quality we have been used to.

Xbox 360 Review

Author: thelucturgeon
27 February 2017

This is a great game adaptation of a really terrible movie. The gameplay is great with many fun levels and cool controls. The story is shortened down in Quantum of Solace because lots of levels are based on Casino Royale, but I guess it's easier to make a game out of a film that already exists haha. Overall this is a good game with good gameplay. I recommend it!

big disappointment

Author: columboman from Canada
25 May 2009

I will have to agree with the majority on here and say that QOS was a let-down This movie bears no resemblance to the traditions of James bond wot soever. No Q, no gadgets, no humor, and most important no real menacing bad guy with his side-kick (example gold finger and odd-job) i hope the next movie does not carry on along the same lines, they need to think hard about the next script and come back with a real traditional James bond theme. all quantum of solace is, is another action movie and to be fair the movie has a lot of action but when you think of the classics made in the past this movie does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]