Kings (TV Series 2009) Poster

(2009)

52 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Best new series in a generation
hanekhw24 March 2009
Finally something intelligent and well done that does a network proud. When was the last time anyone in charge of a network production could say that? I was amazed that a TV production was permitted to adapt a biblical story to commercial television and not make it a travesty. The writing, acting and casting are first rate and the ingenious production that sets the story in a modern setting easily identifiable to not only American but World audiences is outstanding. How power corrupts and becomes the guiding principle of a regime (whether its elected or hereditary) and how human failings overshadow all the events they contrive and no matter what they orchestrate, realize that they are really never in control.

Ian McShane steals the show as the King and is perfectly cast. The writers have even managed to depict the proper tone of a man falling from the pinnacle knowing that his path is taking him to ultimate failure after he's abandoned his principles.

Kudos to Christopher Egan and Allison Miller. Egan as the 'David' and reluctant hero and Allison as the love interest and King's daughter who wants to be more than just another pretty face.

Th writing is first rate and I'm amazed that it survived the usual story development process as well as it did.

It's a do not miss and will be talked about for years.
98 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Spectacular show
harpy28 March 2009
I really enjoy watching this show. It's an odd, but wonderful, mixture of present day modernities and old world thoughts of kings and kingdoms. It's really unlike anything I've ever seen before and you really have to appreciate that kind of originality. I don't know so much about the biblical story behind the show, and I don't much care. I see the show as more of a kind of fantasy, with the historical definitions of kings being "gods" and "chosen by god". I guess what I'm trying to say is, you don't need to be religious to watch it, it's just a really good show whether you are or aren't, just don't expect the show to be fully realistic. I hope to see many more episodes and many more seasons if the show sticks to the quality of these first 3 episodes.
61 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
exceptional
shehab-khashaba29 March 2009
i have seen this show after I saw an interview of the star on the daily show with john steward. this show has so many dimensions.different characters has shown depth and the attention to details is impeccable. the acting of the main character Christopher Egan brings both the emotional side of a war veteran who rose in the ranks unexpectedly when he does a heroic act.Ian McShane who plays a complex king who plays with many interests but has the good of his people at his heart all the time.

the subliminal messages in the show are both subtle and clear.the director has a way of making you hold your breath at every moment of the show.the writing of this show gives you a feel of the real inner workings of a made up kingdom.

though i have only seen three episodes of this show,i will keep watching this show,it is one of the rare shows that had me hooked from the start.lets hope NBC doesn't turn this into a mess like most of their good shows.
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow. Absolute awesome.
anifanmc17 March 2009
I was fairly impressed with the pilot episode of this series, and even though I picked up on the Biblical allegory partway through, I definitely didn't know about it beforehand. As a fan of drama, I'm fairly intrigued and am waiting on tenterhooks for the next episode, which will hopefully help my impression of the film.

The setting of the story is somewhat unusual. It takes place in a monarchic state called "Gilboa", which bears an uncanny (read: almost exact) similarity to the United States, with the one obvious difference being the presence of what appears to be a constitutional monarchy. However, the monarch here isn't some figurehead like the Queen of England. He's a very real monarch. He makes laws, decrees, signs treaties, acts as the head of state and commander-in-chief, and there is a line of succession. Regardless, this is unlike any TV show about royalty that I've ever seen. The culture, customs, dress, language, and society are exact copies of that which you'd find in the United States and the issues they face are very real - if anything, more real - than the issues we find in our society. The society is mixed-race, with no race truly claiming dominance (the royal Reverend is black, one of the secretaries is Latina, etc) and instead of sprawling palaces and estates, the King is housed in a gargantuan skyscraper in the capital city, referred to (tongue-in-cheek) as the Capitol. It reminds me somewhat of Battlestar Galactica, in that you could find nearly everything in our society - but not quite.

The story, on the other hand, is a direct cognate of the David and Goliath story and the rise of David to become King of Israel from the Biblical version. The King's name is Silas (Saul), his son is Jack (Jonathan), of the House of Benjamin, and they're at war with a country called Gath, which commands fearsome Goliath tanks. A farmboy enlistee, David Shepard (note the last name), saves the King's son from a hostage situation single-handedly and takes out a Goliath tank on his own, and becomes a national hero. Out of personal gratitude, the King invites him over for a banquet in his honor, and realizing his potential, turns him into the military liaison of the royal house (an obvious reference to David's appointment as the commander of Saul's armies). He eventually strikes up a romance with the King's daughter, Michelle (as did the biblical David with Michal).

Although relatively faithful to the biblical material from which its borrowing, beyond modernizing, the story takes some obvious dramatic liberties. David isn't fearless, although he is brave. He isn't without flaws. The society isn't Jewish, obviously, it's multicultural and multireligious. And, in a sort of twist of the Samuel storyline, the power working behind Silas is not a witch or crone, but rather a shadow corporation which helped put him into power. Most strikingly, Jack's character is quite different from that of the biblical Jonathan. For one, although only hinted at in the Bible, his homosexuality in the show is made relatively obvious. He doesn't show any love towards David that we know of, and in fact resents him for being given a position which he feels he should have deserved. So, although definitely remaining loyal to the source material, it's perhaps no secret that Kings will develop a life of its own.

The acting is high above average and it paints a visual and dramatic spectacle which is unlike anything I've seen on television in a long time. I sincerely hope this show remains on such a powerful dramatic note.
32 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I thought it was excellent!
cfbandit1 April 2009
I was very pleased with the quality of the show. I caught up on the show - didn't watch the beginning show until this past Sunday so I caught the last one on NBC.com and then watched this week's one on my DVR.

The quality is very high, and while a couple of the characters seem to have dialogue written out of the standard Hollywood textbook, the show seems to be going for higher standards. I particularly like the effects that don't hit you over the head, but impress the gravity of the situation.

I had no idea it was Biblical based - though I'm not necessarily religious - but the marketing leaves mixed messages - its "America with a King", a "war series", and a "royalty show". I think they could retool some of the marketing for it.

I'm definitely going to keep watching! This show is carefully proving to be great!
43 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thanks HBO and more
ricraff26 March 2009
The quality of this show is something I have come to associate with HBO. Sopranos, Big Love, Generation Kill, and Trueblood to name a few.

Kings is the first network show in years that I cannot wait for the next episode. NBC has a series that, if the bean counter's don't get involved, could be the renaissance of network TV. The acting, writing and production is excellent and a joy to watch. Qualities that network TV has not had in recent years.

Hopefully NBC will also take HBO's lead and end it when the story has been told.

The more is questions I have about locations. Are the interior locations real, if so where? The cabinet room with the glass wall, the palace entry with the chandelier, and other rooms look to good to be sets. Is the exterior shots of the palace the Dakota building?
39 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beyond today's traditional drama
zarkinjo24 March 2009
This show has that something that attracted me to shows like Battlestar Galactica and Lost, for which I claim to be the greatest shows television has ever seen.

That special thing is taking great characters, relationships and pure drama to the next level by adding great sf story.

This show really isn't a sf, or I don't really see it as one. Here you don't have smoke monsters and great space battles, but you do have an alternate reality of our time. This show is about a modern-day monarchy, royal family and about the problems that would surround them if a King's depicted monarchy would exist in today's world. It actually isn't much different than today's countries like US, China, Russia and such. This show is basically about men who want nothing but power and are willing to sacrifice everything they have to get it, and men who are meant to stop them. (and women too :) Coupled with great performances, really good special effects and awesome soundtrack I believe it could grow to be one of the best shows on television today. I truly hope the network will give it a chance to tell it's story in full. (after all, I presume it is very expensive)
31 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Drama
xxmegxx-118 March 2009
This show surprised me. It was absolutely amazing. Watching this show brings out a lot of emotions. I thought the advertising for it was good so i gave the show a chance and i am glad i did. At points i couldn't stop smiling then there were points when i wanted to cry then there were points when i just had chills. I haven seen a drama this good in a while. I would defiantly recommend this show to everyone i knew. The acting was amazing. You could tell there was a lot of drama to come between father and son. It is one show you do not want to miss. Plus there is the benefit of there not being any other good shows on that time slot.
34 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful!
KaceySunshine17 March 2009
I didn't know much about this show before I watched it and I was pleasantly surprised. I soon caught the parallels between Kings and David and Saul.

The show is complex and very well done. It is early, but I can tell I am going to be a huge fan. I am about to say something that I never thought would cross my lips - "good job NBC!" I will be very interested to see how closely it follows the biblical model, because that is a great story.

Perhaps with the success of this show, producers will see that there is a market for Judeo-Christian based entertainment (though I know this isn't exactly that). Now if they would also produce something that I could watch with my 9 year old during prime time they would be on a roll.
65 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best King David Miniseries Ever
stephenhow8 April 2009
I caught this show by chance in the 4th episode, and had no idea it was based on the Biblical story of King David. I simply enjoyed it as a soap-opera in the court of an alternate-reality, present-day functioning monarchy. (One with royal decrees, cellphones, and young royals in the tabloids.) Then I watched the first 3 episodes on Hulu.com, and figured out the plot line reads directly out of the King David Wikipedia page.

But its brilliant, because it follows the exact story of David's ascension to the throne against the first King of Israel Saul (Silas), with all the characters and relationships from the Bible, with all the drama and intrigue of Shakespeare's Richard III. David saves the King's son in battle (vs. Goliath), and the King rewards him with a military position and the hand of his daughter (Michelle/Michal). Meanwhile the King's son (Jack/Jonathan) sees David as a threat to his own position. Soon, Silas realises David is the anointed successor, and plots to kill him.

All of this is done masterfully, as the writers cleverly (and transparently) work the plot and intrigue into the modern day setting. It plays like modern Shakespeare of a North American monarchy. The story is so engrossing, you forget you're watching science fiction / fantasy. It has all the elements of a classic story, and is extremely entertaining.

I think all of the episodes are already in the can, and I can guess all 13 episodes play out the entire story of David's reign, wife, son, etc. I never knew the story of David until now, and I'll probably read the Wikipedia page as I finish watching the series.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this