"The Big Bang Theory: The Dumpling Paradox (#1.7)"

"The Big Bang Theory" The Dumpling Paradox (2007)

« Prev | 8 of 186 Episodes | Next »

The Dumpling Paradox is the first excellent episode of "The Big Bang Theory"

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
8 November 2007

As Leonard, Sheldon, Howard Wolowitz, and Raj Koothrappali play the TV video game Halo, Penny barges in and asks if she could stay for awhile as her cousin from Nebraska, Christi (Brooke D'Orsay), makes herself at home in her apartment there. Turns out she can't stand her as Christi has a slutty reputation, especially with members of Penny's immediate family! Hearing this, Howard goes to Penny's apartment and charms the socks off Christi so much they spend the night there. So Penny not only defeats Sheldon on Halo, she begs to stay overnight at his and Leonard's place to Sheldon's consternation! Next day, Christi agrees to live with Howard who lives with his mother! This upsets Sheldon's sense of equality later at a Chinese restaurant since instead of splitting for four, they have to split for three. When the following week, Penny gets asked to be a fourth partner on Halo again, she declines having already dressed up for dancing. So they all go to Howard's house where they overhear arguments between his mom and Christi. Not wanting to stay for that, Howard goes back for another round of the game...This is the funniest episode yet of "The Big Band Theory". I must also mention how nice to see James Hong again as the restaurant owner here after seeing him as the wheelchair crime boss on "Chuck" a few weeks earlier. As always, most of the best lines came from Sheldon though Simon Helberg also has his share. So glad this is doing so well on Monday night on CBS! Now let's hope the writer's strike ends soon so we'll see new episodes through the end of the season and not just til January...

The Dumpling Paradox: Season 1 - Episode 7

Author: thevip-321-921735
19 November 2013

I love this show and I do believe it's worthy of 8+ stars. However, I'm currently watching this episode again and Raj, sans alcohol as far as I can see, spoke to Leonard in front of Penny. I don't know how it went unnoticed by producers, but they clearly seem to have gotten away with it. And yes, I know, his character is that he can't talk to women without alcohol and what I mentioned here is that he talked to Leonard with Penny there. To me this is a big deal because, unless I'm forgetting something, he can't speak in front of her or other women without alcohol supposedly (always whispers in the ears of the others) until the end of Season 6.

I have downgraded by rating of this episode from a 9 to a 7. This error so early on should've been caught and dealt with before they aired it.

P.S. I'm sure there are other errors, mentioned or not, and maybe someone's already mentioned this one, but this caught me off guard watching it tonight and I figured it's a decent topic for my first review. Not trying to copy anybody, but am I seriously expected to read 260 reviews? I hope not.