IMDb > Julie & Julia (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Julie & Julia

Julie & Julia More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 28: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

delicious and pleasant

Author: jsharma from new york
2 September 2009

Julie and Julia directed by Nora Ephron is perfect. it's nice to see Julie Powell ( Amy Adams with her girlish mannerisms and pleasant voice)follow the recipes of Julia Child ( one and only Mery Streep) and try to become Julia Child . Julie soon realizes that it is difficult to become another person just because one has aspirations to do what the other does best. Mery Streep as Julia Child is very convincing . But then, nothing is difficult for Mery Streep. She can dance on the streets in Greece singing or she could be the devil that wears Prada or she could be a married woman but feeling alone and wanting independence or be a homemaker alone and involved in a romantic/passionate affair with a handsome passer-by. Meryl Streep is a great actress. Julie and Julia is directed well. Nora Ephron has found a Meg Ryan in Amy Adams. Amy Adams was excellent in Enchanted,Doubt and now Julie and Julia. This movie is Oscar worthy. Stanley Tucci who plays the role of Paul Child , does a great job as the very encouraging and emotionally stable husband of Julia . Chris Messina as Eric Powell ( husband of Julie) is young, encouraging and relishes all the meals and desserts made by Julie. All 4 made very convincing happy 2 couples.

Delicous & Hilarious: Yay good acting!

Author: P. Murray from Rockaway Point, NY, USA
17 August 2009

When I check out IMDb, I often times like to see other reviews and how a movie panned out for viewers across the board. Granted, IMDb likes to order their reviews with the best first, but I make sure to change that setting to chronological so as to see the full scope of commentary. I was happy to note that "Julie & Julia," on the whole, was received well. I am also happy to report that I am amongst those positive reviews.

As a musician and entertainer myself, I often view movies as an escapist luxury from the normal day-to-day (which for me, doing what I do, is usually far from normal). That being said, I also watch movies with a very critical eye, even B-list action and horror films. It is so refreshing to see a comedy have some substance in modern film, and "J/J" really delivers. If I wasn't a fan of Stanley Tucci before, I am now, and probably will be for life. He is the embodiment of true poise and timing for the male comedic actor (and acting in general, not to take away from his prior work and obviously vast experience). Watching him & Meryl interact is satisfying and engaging; I always love when acting pairs come back to do more work together - who didn't enjoy them both in "Devil Wears Prada?"

The film itself is a sincere (if not liberally leaned) commentary on American society and its views on home-cooked meals, with a lot of good humor thrown in for flavoring (pun definitely intended). Meryl Streep is the acting Aunt I wish I had growing up, LOL. Real skills, total ease in her character here, and a avid eye for detail in dramatic interplay. Amy Adams, who I really enjoyed in "Miss Pettigrew," does a fine job of portraying the "average" American middle-aged rat-race worker. I am excited to see her next big gigs and how she develops dramatically.

I think what made me enjoy the film the most were two things: 1) The more stage-themed acting from the cast - it was almost like watching episodes of "Lucy," where all they really did was put on a play and place a camera in front of them, & 2) The audience, which ties into #1. Because the actors made a point of banking on comedic timing and buttons, the audience & I ate it up and were hysterically laughing as if Meryl, Amy, & Stanley were up in the front doing scenes from the movie live.

Overall, GREAT film. Definitely go see this one in theatres, or with good friends when it comes out on DVD - then cook some beef bourguignon!

Peace, P. Murray

Check out my music when you have some time! http://www.reverbnation.com/pmurraymusic http://www.facebook.com/pmurraymusic

When in doubt, add butter!

Author: katielovestwilight123 from United States
16 August 2009

I thought that Julie and Julia was just phenomenal! I thought it was an amazing movie. One user said that the movie was for people 14 and up because children under that might get bored. I'm not 14, and I thought it was terrific. The movie, in my opinion, is good for all ages, though some language and sensuality, hence the rating. Meryl Streep and Amy Adams were terrific in this motion picture. Toward the ending of the movie, something will shock you. You'll just have to go see the movie and find out. Once again, the movie is amazing and I think all ages will just love it! So now I will close with the famous quote from the amazing movie Julie and Julia. "When in doubt, add butter!"

Excellent Movie!

Author: (AllAngellAccess@gmail.com) from United States
16 August 2009

I loved this movie. The writing was great and the Actors all did a fabulous job. I would advise you to see this movie on a full tummy, because the delicious looking dishes they make will have your mouth wishing you had eaten. This one definitely gets two thumbs up from me. And I will see it again when it comes out of DVD. The characters draw you in, it has it's funny moments as well as the "AW" that was so sweet moments. Kudo's to the Director for delivering such a good film. Nancy Meyers always delivers. What she gives is more than 100% to each project she's involved with. I will forever support whatever she does because she's got the recipe for box office success. It would be good to some lead characters of color in some of her films.

Entertaining biopics

Author: clg238 from United States
15 August 2009

When a movie is this entertaining, it's easy to overlook the flaws. Meryl Streep is sans pareil (again!). Her voice, her expressions, her body language are the embodiment of the Julia Child we recall on TV. Streep is enthralling, and when she isn't on screen, the action is lively enough to keep us hooked. The film at bottom is 2 biopics intertwined. Biopics almost never make for successful stories, and the story aspect of this film is certainly wanting. However, there is enough laugh-out-loud humor, enough charming dialogue, enough picturesque cinematography to carry the lack of plot. The casting of Stanley Tucci as Child's husband is peculiar at best. He's been wonderful in other movies, notably THE BIG NIGHT. Not for a second did I believe him in his role here (at first I thought he was supposed to be Julia's friend) or feel a shred of chemistry between him and Streep! Amy Adams is also an odd casting, especially disappointing after her terrific role in DOUBT. Here she does not emerge as anything more than petulant. DId I imagine seeing the bottom of the overhead microphone 3 SEPARATE TIMES????? As a writer, I was particularly interested in hearing the information about Julia's paltry advances, the alleged ripoff by a publisher.

Delightful...

Author: ric-163 from United States
8 January 2010

is the only word needed to describe this movie. Let me say first off, that Meryl Streep absolutely nails Julia Child. There have been great movies about food, and there have been great movies about relationships. This is a great movie about food and relationships. This film works on so many levels there's no way I can describe them all. The chemistry between Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci is incredible. The relationship between Amy Adams character and her husband, while not as important to the story, was still a treat to watch as well. And the two relationships are united in Julie Powell's (Amy Adams) research of Julia's early adventures in the culinary arts. Not only did I enjoy this movie, I learned a lot about Julia Child and her husband Paul. These are two people who cared deeply about each other, and who supported each other through each others travails. Julia Child's struggle to learn the art of French cooking while being dismissed because she's a woman. And Paul's having to endure the scrutiny of the McCarthy witch hunt. The inclusion of Dan Akroyd's Julia Child sketch from Saturday Night Live is a bonus that still makes me laugh. A great movie with a great cast.

Can a blog really get you a book contract?

Author: BHudgins64 from United States
3 September 2009

Many writers get annoyed when they see someone get a big, fat, book contract simply because they wrote a blog. In this movie, Julia and Julie are paralleled in many ways. They both "did their own thing" against the advice of their parents. They both married supportive husbands. They both enjoyed cooking. And they both had the ultimate goal of getting a book published.

One difference is that Julia Child simply fell into book publishing by accident because she met two women who were writing a cookbook for Americans soon after she completed her Cordon Bleu training. Julie Powell on the other hand couldn't get her fiction book published so she began to blog about cooking to get her mind off her stale job. She followed the recipes in Julia Child's cookbook as a way to get her writing out to the public.

Many publishing gurus suggest that writers use a blog as a way to get a platform or a fan base. From there it's easy as pie to publish a bestseller. Right! I foresee another million blogs cluttering the internet because of this movie! I believe many people did not like the Julie character, not because of Amy Adams, but because she achieved success so easily while it took Julia Child years of work and editing and creating recipes to achieve her masterpiece.

I have written an article called, Julie & Julia & Book Publishing on www.associatedcontent.com if anyone wants to see further thoughts on this thread.

A cute and funny story that is less serious than it pretends to be

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
31 August 2009

Anyone who knows me or reads my reviews know that I feel Meryl Streep is one of the most over rated actresses in history. However, much to my dismay she might be growing on me. Certainly Julie and Julia is in essence a Meryl Streep vehicle to show her off in her prime. The other thing this film does is really give you a feel for Julia Child. Prior to this movie I knew nothing about her other than she was a brilliant chef and had a cookbook. This film turns Julia into this lovely woman with passions and dreams and a romance and family. I believe Julia Child would have been honored to have been portrayed in this way. Julie, the would be writer, who hits fame by cooking her way through the entire Julia Child cookbook and blogging about it adds a modern day twist to the story and also adds a quirky cute strong female lead who learns to idolize Julia Child. What the film lacks in plot it gains in cute, funny humor and is sickening sweet. However, it also runs far too long, doesn't follow the customary film recipe (no pun intended) because it doesn't really have a beginning, a climax and an end. I found the story to drag a little in the middle and felt like I was waiting for something to happen. The would be climax falls flat leaving me unsatisfied, even if that was the reality of the situation.

Let's talk about Meryl Streep. I think I am beginning to have to admit that the woman can put on some incredible performances. Devil Wears Prada, Doubt, and now Julie and Julia. Streep completely embodies Julia Child and gives an absolutely brilliant performance. In a cute but ho-hum film she completely shines in this role. Amy Adams adds a varying personality to that of Streep's child. Adams is as cute as she is perky and her character embodies both of those things as well. Her story is inspirational and also reflects that of Streep's Child. They are never opposite each other like they were in Doubt but they still play off of each other somehow. Both are good but Streep out performs. The supporting cast plays only a small part in the film as the movie focuses heavily on the two women. Nonetheless Stanley Tucci, as Paul Child is brilliant and Streep and him have great chemistry and an adorable romance. Chris Messina is good as Amy Adams' husband but he really doesn't get a lot of solid depth to his part. He has a very shallow character even during the more emotional scenes.

Nora Ephron has had hits and misses as a writer, a director and a producer. One thing can be said for certain of her is that she loves to tell a story and isn't afraid to tell it her own way. She loves sweet, and cute and I think goes after the quirky and different in both her writing and directing. She also seems to try and bring out the very best in her talented cast. Julie and Julia is not a "chick flick" and its not romance but certainly has elements of both. It has physical comedy, and some great heart but somehow misses the mark on being truly extraordinary. Still worth seeing for Streep's incredible Child performance. 7/10

Bon Appetite, but Watch the Butter and Cream!

Author: dglink from Alexandria, VA
10 August 2009

Releasing a movie like "Julie and Julia" during the dog days of August is somewhat of a mystery. The teenage boys who dominate summer film attendance are still out of school and filling seats for action flicks about super heroes. Young children are still being ushered off to animated-feature matinées, dating couples are still making out during the latest Jennifer Anniston or Sandra Bullock romantic comedy, and mature adults are out of town on vacation. Thus, just who out there is going to watch Meryl Streep as a shrill voiced chef from the 1950's and Amy Adams as a contemporary blogger who cooks French food for a year? Unfortunately, many are going to miss this tasty soufflé.

Meryl has great fun impersonating Julia Child in her formative years when she lived in Paris, attended cooking school, and began collaborative work on a French cookbook in English. Inter-cut with Julia Child's story is that of Julie Powell, a government worker caught in her cubicle. Julie finds escape in her cooking, idolizes Julia Child, and sets a goal to cook every recipe in Child's cookbook within a year, while blogging daily about the experience. Nora Ephron, who wrote and directed the film, draws parallels between the two women of different generations, which the editing underscores nicely. While the two women are well developed, the two husbands, Child's played by Stanley Tucci and Julie's played by Chris Messina, are perhaps a bit too sensitive and understanding to be completely believable. Although both actors are fine, the characters seem more a woman's idealization of husbands than flesh and blood men. Interestingly, neither the husbands nor the wives gain weight over the course of the story, despite the evident worship of butter, cream, and red meat on display.

"Julie and Julia" is glossy, entertaining fun. Often funny, always amusing, the film moves along swiftly, helped by telling two stories simultaneously. While Streep's is the showy performance, Amy Adam's work is arguably the more heartfelt and winning. Child is broad gestures and flamboyance, while Powell is introspective and intense. While both couples have marriages that work, the Powells seem connected, while the Childs at times appear comic. Small quibbles with a good movie, however. "Julie and Julia" is not a cinematic masterpiece, but rather a pleasant diversion and an oasis of intelligence in a sea of often-mindless summer films.

sweet and fluffy and with real (more-or-less sympathetic) characters

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
10 August 2009

Nora Ephron isn't a director I rank among the great-visionary-of-all-time directors, but when she can get a project that's fitted for her better sensibilities- of characters seeking things in life for themselves that may or may not involve romance or lack-thereof- she hits a pretty good stride. She gives us characters that are audience-friendly but not just cardboard cut-outs; even her film You've Got Mail, which is the proverbial 'decent Sunday afternoon kinda-chick-flick' has some really good moments. Julie & Julia is a movie that provides both men and women, young and old, with something we can all get around: food. And a little bit of the relationship-stuff with two married couples.

It's a juxtaposition that more or less works; it's about Julia Child's decade-long quest to become a cook, or rather more crucially to publish a book she co-authored that ended up changing the world of cooking for Americans (basically THE translation of French-secrets for Americans, not to mention with her subsequent TV show), and Julie, a struggling and unlikely bureaucrat who decides to start a blog where she'll write about going through Child's book in a year. Both of the women struggle, both but their husbands through their share of headaches, both end up triumphant in their own respective fields, one as a creator and one as a, well, blogger who is, ironically, dissed by the 90 year old Child who may not have even read the blog (this is from real life, not just made up for the movie, though it's hard to say whether Julie kept following the Julia "in her head" as it were in the movie).

While Amy Adams, who plays Julie as a neurotic person who really wants to be a novelist but ends up with this self-imposed challenge to get her through (as with AA she says) one day at a time, and does a decent job if not any more memorable than her turn in Doubt, Meryl Streep ends up stealing not only scenes away from Amy Adams but from the other actors around her, with one exception (Jane Lynch playing Child's also bigger-than-life sister). The scenes with Streep are just pure joy, even when things look really down with her husband, a US government employee working in Paris, is called back to Washington on suspicion of espionage - this part of the plot is handled delicately, just as with a certain personal note made about Child's lack of her own family- or when things look down with the rejections of her book. It's such a towering performance that is just as BIG and complex but hateful as Daniel Day-Lewis as Daniel Plainview.

Ultimately, the movie is about doing what makes you happy, and we're happy seeing these characters try and work through that, in the ups and downs, the little things in life that add up, the burned Beef stew or the move away from Paris, the days where things go wrong but need to turn around . Ephron gets how to make this deeper than just a fluffy movie with women and their husbands and lots and lots and LOTS of awesome-looking food (even on a box of popcorn it makes one's mouth drool), but the good thing is it can be enjoyed just as that as well, with moments of real hilarity and earned catharsis. It was much better than I expected, to put it another way. 7.5/10