IMDb > Homecoming (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Homecoming

Homecoming More at IMDbPro »

Wait, Wait... You Say You've Seen This Before?

Author: gavin6942 from United States
31 July 2009

IMDb plot says: A jilted ex-girlfriend has a plan in store for her former beau, who is coming back to his small town with a new lover. Gavin says: This is true, if we say he's coming back for one weekend and that her plan is only developed on accident, not ahead of time.

I had a difficult time with "Homecoming". The film is not anything particularly new. Many have compared it to "Misery", and you can see a connection in just about any kidnapping film. So, if you're looking for a whole new plot, you won't find it. You will probably just end up wondering why the kidnapper (Shelby) doesn't kill the girlfriend right away. I mean, if she wants to get back with her ex, it doesn't really help to have his current love tied up in the bedroom. But the difficult time for me wasn't because it was bad -- in fact, the suspense was so well crafted, I kept myself up well past a sensible bed time to catch the end.

Mischa Barton does a fine job as Shelby. Her personal problems aside, Barton is a decent actress. Most people probably know her from "The OC", but since I never saw that show, I know her from a little film called "Walled In" (which, I suppose, was not as good as "Homecoming"). The other actors are also good, but I've already forgotten their names.

Director Morgan J. Freeman (no relation) has an interesting vision. The film is bland in its cinematography, its angles, its use of music, its pace... there's really nothing exciting here. There's the suspense, as I said, and a little bit of gore. But the film doesn't shine as bright as Freeman's "American Psycho 2" (which I loved, I don't care what you say). For the first twenty or so minutes, I thought my boss had sent me a drama to review, and I was somewhat bitter about it.

But yes, the film is decent, and better than many of the films you'll find on the video shelf. I think two other films I caught recently, "Nature's Grave" and "Sick Girl", would be better choices for the horror fans, but if you want a light thriller, this might meet your needs. By no means will it go down as a classic or even all that memorable, but it's worth a view.

Fatal Attraction with Misery

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
4 March 2010

The successful football player Michael "Mike" Kelvin Donaldson (Matt Long) and his girlfriend Elizabeth Mitchum (Jessica Stroup) leave college to travel to his hometown Mt. Bliss, Pennsylvania, to a ceremony of retirement his high-school jersey and to introduce Elizabeth to his conservative family. They meet Mike's former girlfriend Shelby Mercer (Mischa Barton), who still has a crush on him, in her bowl Alley and her first reaction is to treat Mike as if he

were her boyfriend. When she understands the situation, she surprisingly offers a drink to Elizabeth and has a long chat with her. Elizabeth feels wasted and asks Mike and his cousin Billy Fletcher (Michael Landes) to leave her in the Fort Pitt Motel to spend the night and meet his parents sober to give a good impression in their first encounter. However, there is no vacancy in the place and she decides to walk four miles on the road to a Holyday Inn. Meanwhile Shelby is driving on the same road completely disturbed and accidentally hits Elizabeth; however, instead of taking her to the hospital, she abducts Elizabeth and brings her home. The deranged Shelby plots a scheme simulating that Elizabeth left town to be close to Mike and seduce him again.

"Homecoming" is one of those films that is a collection of clichés, with unreasonable and predictable attitudes, and uses the idea of other movies in the story. Actually it is a combination of "Fatal Attraction", with a woman obsessed for a man that loves another woman, and "Misery", with a woman rescuing an injured person and taking her to her remote house. The plot is not totally bad, with the exception of the deceptive conclusion, with the insane Shelby killing Billy but keeping her rival Elizabeth alive. Further, Mischa Barton and Jessica Stroup are talented and extremely gorgeous actresses; therefore it is very pleasant to see them on the screen. This DVD has been recently released by Paris Filmes Distributor in Brazil. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Mente Obsessiva" ("Obsessive Mind")

Like Fatal attraction but with a hostage.

Author: Greenzombidog from United Kingdom
9 October 2010

The star quarterback returns to his hometown for the winter break with his new girlfriend. The problem is his old girlfriend ( Mischa Barton ) seems to have forgotten they split up. The ex claims everything's fine and even befriends the new girlfriend but after accidentally running the new girl down on the road and seriously injuring her things go bad. I was very impressed with the acting in this movie especially Mischa Barton to my surprise. She does a good line in menacing glares and some pretty creepy looks and as you find out just how deep her obsession goes with her ex boyfriend her acting helps to make the character believable. I love these bunny boiler movies and while this doesn't bring to many new ideas to the table, it is still a strong entry in this sub-genre of thriller. There are enough edge of the seat moments when you're willing the characters on and the tension is building to make this film a worthwhile watch. I enjoyed this movie.

Waste of time

Author: non-shill
21 January 2010

This film is not really even worth a review, so I'll make it quick. The movie starts as a total snoozefest. A slow start, boring script, boring dialogue.

We're supposed to believe that Long's and Barton's characters were an item in the recent past. This despite the fact that Long appears to be around 19 years old, while Barton looks to be 6-8 years his senior (which, in real life, she is). Yet we are shown a photo with them frolicking around in high school clothes, with Barton a cheerleader. Wow.

Then the clichés start in earnest. Stroup's character is being held hostage, and makes multiple feeble and idiotic non-attempts at escape. No, don't use the front window to ensure that the psycho who is holding you prisoner is actually gone before you try getting away or using the phone to call for help; just wait for her to go downstairs, and hope for the best. There is even the obligatory scene with an outsider who could help... He's right outside, help at last! Yet all Stroup can manage is to feebly tap on the window. No, don't smash it with that big metal rod in your hand and then scream; just stand there like an idiot.

That's as far as I made it with this joke of a movie. I can't believe Freeman put his name on this garbage.

Homecoming

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
10 June 2010

Shelby didn't accept a break up with high school football star Mike who has since moved on to college at Northwestern and attached himself to another, Elizabeth. She can not and will not believe Mike is no longer the man for her, and in pure FATAL ATTRACTION/PLAY MISTY FOR ME style, goes off the deep end.

Shelby will set out to wreck Mike's relationship with Elizabeth whatever the cost. Mischa Barton has this moment where she quietly fumes and dwells on Mike's truly leaving her in the dust...dragging off a cigarette, the contemplation of losing him yet again is present on her face(it's a good scene I give Barton credit for). Driving home while sobbing, Shelby hits Liz with her vehicle as she was walking the side of the road seeking help from someone because she needed a ride to Mike's mom's house..Shelby got Liz liquored up so she couldn't meet Mike's mom.

Echoes of MISERY as Shelby has Liz in a bed where her sick mother once spent her last years dying, feeding her intravenous tube with a sleeping agent to keep her either sedated or so weakened she can not move(not to mention Liz' ankle is badly damaged)..and when she attempts to due so is often thwarted by her injury.

Letting go is hard to do in Shelby's case and this is like an opportunity which landed right in her lap. Pretty much holding her hostage, mangled ankle and all, Shelby can use this as an advantage to, in her devious state, "win" back the man she adores(more like obsesses about). There's this amusing scene where Liz finds a room which serves as a literal shrine to Mike, with pictures all over the walls, doodles, and heartfelt scribblings devoted to the man she yearns for.

HOMECOMING is one of those movies which allows another actress her chance to play the psychotic, cold-hearted bitch role. There are all these Lifetime Movie clichés to stomach, thriller staples that have wore out their welcome. Such as the evidence, taped underneath the toilet bowl lid no less, where it proves that Shelby poisoned her mother. The revelation that Liz has been kidnapped, discovered by Mike in the knick of time. The numerous near escapes where Liz just about frees herself from Shelby's clutches. The victim who finds Liz bound only to be executed for turning his back on Shelby. How Shelby takes a licking and keeps on ticking, in ridiculous fashion..she takes a shot to the forehead by a ceramic toilet bowl lid, her head slammed up against a wall, and a variety of punches to the face with a football helmet.

And, if you really think about it, the idea that this beautiful young woman who seems to have a degree of intelligence, would have this homicidal love for a boy, even if he's the town's famous football legend, is a bit over the top and hard to swallow. He's this sensitive dreamboat who just has a hard time accepting that Liz would leave him without even confronting him, though Shelby tries her hardest to get him to think so. And, Shelby flaunts in Liz' face how she'll get Mike back while her prisoner must suffer..all of this I've described will be quite familiar to those who watch these movies.

It's really a sister to movies like SWIMFAN about female lunatics who do not respond well when their love is spurned by the young man they worship.

Barton fulfills the requirements of such a role and Stroup is a nice young actress with a pleasant personality, whose Elizabeth doesn't deserve what is happening to her. It all has been done before folks, nothing new to see here. Michael Landes is Mike's cop pal, Billy Fletcher who is used as a tool in the screenplay to potentially talk him into reentering a relationship with Shelby. I do think, as evident by this movie, that Stroup is a star in the making. Matt Long is the young man Barton loves with all her heart. Funniest scene could be when Shelby starts eating a meat sandwich, possibly cut from the body of a victim she had just killed!

it's nothing new and surprising, but it's still a really good movie

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
13 December 2009

I will start with the plot. Mike was the star quarterback in a blue-collar small town where football is everything. After receiving a scholarship to Northwestern University, he returns home over Christmas break and everyone is surprised to see him with a new girlfriend, Elizabeth, a pretty rich girl from Chicago. No one is more shocked than Mike's homecoming queen ex-girlfriend, Shelby, who desperately wants Elizabeth out of the picture. After a freak car accident leaves an injured Elizabeth at the mercy of Shelby, all hell breaks loose as Shelby does everything it takes to get Mike back.

A Nice build to the main characters, As we get to know characters and you will care for the characters (Well I did) After the good build up to the characters then the movie really gets going and I was total hooked.

I was actually shouting at the movie, I don't remember the last time I shouted at A movie, thats how much I really enjoyed watching this movie.

This movie has some really good scenes and one nasty scene, (some will think it a total ripoff Misery). This scene made me look away.

The acting was great from Main 3, but office Billy Fletcher (You may know as officer Burke from Final Destination 2) his acting was not that good (and is character was pain in the a*s) also the ending, they tried to go for a shocking ending but it didn't work and it just fell flat.

Also Shelby is one hell of an Evil Bitch (Mischa Barton she did outstanding job on this movie). She was great.

This movie will be compared to Mirsey as this could easily be passed as a sequel or even a remake of it.

It's NOT a good movie!

Author: bfp13108 from United States
6 April 2016

Here is what you can expect from Homecoming: 1. Mischa Barton's continued downward slide to oblivion.

2. Mike's (Matt Long) role as the stupidest, witless indifferent boyfriend of all time.

3. Jessica Stroup (Elizabeth) who couldn't escape her way out of a paper bag if she had a knife, scissors and bazooka available to her.

The movie is so preposterous that it needs to move into the sad pervert screenwriter's fantasy script for this year. The plot is so unlikely that you would have thought it came from two junior high school students submission for a screenplay. WHY...why...why are they allowed to make movies like this garbage.

DON'T SPEND YOUR MONEY ON THIS!

A Poor Man's "Misery"

Author: highpriestess32 from United Kingdom
29 September 2014

I had already noted a low rating for this movie on various sites but the subject matter appealed to me as a fan of Misery, Play Misty for Me, Misery et al so I gave it a go expecting nothing of any shock value and was not disappointed on that front. This film had elements of all three of the aforementioned films but had too few pearls stretched out on a decidedly threadbare string.

Almost immediately the viewer becomes frustrated at the stupidity of Mike and his girlfriend Elizabeth as they take a trip back to his roots where his "intense" - as Mike describes her - ex-girlfriend, Shelby, runs a bowling alley. After meeting some of Mike's friends, Elizabeth decides she wants to follow them on with Mike to the Bowling alley in spite of being informed about the existence of Shelby. After Shelby plies Elizabeth with tequila whilst playing the amiable ex, Elizabeth, keen to make a good first impression on Mike's parents decides she is too drunk to meet with them that night so Mike's police officer brother drives Elizabeth to a remote hotel and Mike back to his folks. This is where the first major flaw of the plot is seen. Would you seriously drop your young girlfriend off in a hotel car park in a strange and remote area without seeing her safely inside and ensuring she has secured a room? Apparently not as she is left to wheel her case in and wave from the door as her chaperones speed off into the night before being told there are in fact no vacancies and the sign that says otherwise is broken. This leaves Elizabeth to walk four miles West in the dark to locate another hotel until she flags down a passing car which promptly knocks her into a ditch.

When she awakens, Elizabeth finds herself in a strange bedroom attached to a drip and being "nursed" by Shelby who is intent on hiding the injured girlfriend away whilst she desperately tries to win back the affections of her ex, Mike. It quickly becomes evident that Shelby is a dangerous psychopath and one wonders why the smart Elizabeth didn't just play along with her games and manipulate Shelby by asserting that she wanted to break up with Mike. A girl of her calibre could have easily cooked up some fictitious and feasible story which would have placated Shelby and ensured Elizabeth's relative safety. This is a common flaw in movies of this ilk. The hostage making ill-planned escape attempts, showing the fear that only feeds the hostage-taker or to the contrary, antagonising their captors and sustaining more injuries for their efforts.

The characters were hard to care about in any capacity which is so often the case where teenagers are involved. Predicable diatribe in my opinion, lacking every ounce of substance that Misery brought to the screen.

It has Mischa Barton and Jessica Stroup in it...

Author: punishmentpark from Netherlands
26 December 2013

It starts out quite good, while I'm still trying to stay gullible, asking myself where all this may lead... But soon, the makers of the film must have thought: 'Let's go with some stale old clichés, improbabilities and stupid actions.' I understand it's not easy to try and come up with something original, but this was rather poorly done.

On the other hand, I have to admit I don't always mind a simple, predictable thriller. More so if there are some pleasant leading ladies appearing in it.

To call this a good film and rate it positive, is yet another thing... 5 out of 10.

A homecoming you'd rather stay away from

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
23 May 2011

***SPOILERS*** Things aren't all that blissful in the little working and blue collar town of Mt. Bliss when the high school star football running back Matt Long, Mike Donaldson, came back for his long awaited homecoming to have his football jersey #7 permanently retired. Expecting to renew her relationship with the handsome & hulking Matt is his old high school flame Shelby Mercer, Micha Barton, who's in for the surprise of her life in finding that Matt is in love and planning to marry Elizabeth,or Liz, Mitchum, Jessica Stroup! Gtting good and drunk at the homecoming festivities Liz decides to chill out at a local motel before she meets Matt's parents. This decision on her part was to change both her and Shelby's lives forever!

On the highway looking for a place to stay for the night Liz is run down by a very disturbed and not watching the road Shelby who realizing her good fortune takes the very banged up Liz home to recuperate! What Shelby really has in mind is to somehow make Liz disappear, by poisoning her, and thus end up having Matt all to herself! The only problem is that Liz is not all that accommodating to Shelby's plans and does everything to escape! Which ends up with Shelby doing her best to off Liz even before the poison,that she's spiking her her medication with, kicks in!

With Selby now in control of the situation she plans to trick Matt into thinking that Liz walked out on him but he doesn't fall for her act until he gets positive proof that Liz in fact two timed him. From that point on Shalby starts to lose it in overplaying her hand like getting Matt drunk and try to have it on with him, in a bar ladies room no less, that has him suspect that she in fact had something to do with Liz's sudden disappearance!

***SPOILERS*** The film comes down to the big homecoming party where Matt finally realized in a present that Liz gave him, that he thought was Shelby's, that has him bolting in sub-zero weather with nothing but his shirt & tie on to Shelby's place and find out what in fact she did to Liz and if Liz is being kept there against her will. Shelby by now has completely gone off her rocker murdering Matt and her friend Sheriff Billy Fletcher, Michael Landes, for asking too many embarrassing questions and trying to fix the light in her basement where a tied up Liz is being held.

Tremendous end of movie cat fight between the badly injured Liz and the crazed and homicidal Shelby as a kneecapped Matt, whom Shelby shot, is helpless to stop and is just a bystander in the whole spectacular event!***MAJOR SPOILER*** typical psycho movie ending that you saw coming from as far as 10 miles away that doesn't surprise you but at the same time take anything away about the what you've seen in the film up until then!