IMDb > Duplicity (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Duplicity

Duplicity More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 19: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

nor fun nor artistic - makes brainwaves go flat

Author: Maki from Serbia
13 May 2009

While watching Duplicity I had a feeling that one should consider script and the whole movie smart and witty but in reality it's typical hollywoodish attack on one's intelligence. Like it was written for 5 years old audience.

In an effort to keep the attention of the audience a not very good and dull story of corporate espionage and love affair of two spies Ray and Claire is withholding the information (surprise surprise effect) throughout the movie. But even these attempts to mislead one from the obvious couldn't help for the movie to become better and less predictable.

The secret spies are after, a scene where we find out what actually is the secret can give one a final clue about the ending which the filmmakers were so desperately trying to hide. Well, maybe next time.

Except for the beauty of Julia Roberts I couldn't find anything good about this movie. It seems like that even the famous actors hadn't tried to do their best with this one. I find that nowadays for a movie to be on top at the box offices it's needed just to have some stars in it and nothing else.

I can't recommend watching this film even for relaxation as it may make you angry.

a series of vignettes without a coherent theme told in illogical order

Author: grinsland from United States
1 April 2009

it's been more than a week and I'm still grousing over wasting $9.25 to see this waste of time. This is the movie version of the stage show "Creep" of the 1970's - no story, just continuous dirty tricks. Add to that the pogo stick affect of the movie jumping here, there, backwards, forwards. Where are we now? I don't know. What's the point of this story? Everybody's double crossing everybody else. Still haven't figured out that "fight" scene at the beginning, or was it a ballet in slow motion? The only reason I agreed to see it was Julia Roberts, and she's no longer appealing to me. Don't pay theater price, wait 'til it comes out on video and then RENT it, don't buy it.

Duplicity Movie Review from The Massie Twins

Author: GoneWithTheTwins from www.GoneWithTheTwins.com
19 March 2009

If you're going to make a movie with a plot so intricate and fiendishly conceived that it basically has to be spelled out for your audience in its conclusion, you'd better make sure the protagonists are ones worth tagging along for the ride. Duplicity tries to be too smart for its own good as it unfolds a winding tale of deception and corporate espionage, but fails to lure the audience with characters engaging enough to sympathize in their elaborate predicaments.

After a not-so-chance encounter in Dubai ends in deceit and regret, corporate spies Ray Koval (Clive Owen) and Claire Stenwick (Julia Roberts) seem destined to have their paths cross - multiple times. Working for opposing global marketing giants Equikrom and Burkett & Randle, Ray and Claire plot out a complex scheme to outsmart and outplay their employers amidst a desperate hunt for a revolutionary new mystery cream (or lotion).

From Dubai to Italy to London to Miami to Cleveland and then Zurich, Duplicity has its leads not only travel back and forth across the globe but also through the past and present. Constant flashbacks to increasingly smaller segments of time count down like a bomb whose explosion leaves something to be desired. With each previous encounter a little more is revealed about our protagonists' master plan, but of course even when we think we finally know what's going on there's one more twist that changes our perception of everything we've just seen. Similar to the cons in the Ocean's movies, but with fewer characters and fewer thrills, Duplicity just tries too hard to be clever and the outcome feels far less refreshing and original than it could have been.

While Clive Owen and Julia Roberts may not exhibit the most alluring of chemistry, perhaps the fault lies more with the deceptive and often hostile intricacies of their characters' personality traits and their subsequently precarious relationship. Due to the nature of their profession, trust is something always questioned and rarely given. Even the occasional exchange of clever dialogue can't brighten these dismal characters' minimal charm or sort out a timeline so fragmented that it makes Memento look perfectly chronological.

- The Massie Twins

Duplicity left no emotional charge

Author: editor-530 from United States
22 March 2009

My wife and I watched Duplicity this morning. She likes spy movies. But after the movie we were left with a flat feeling. The movie tried too hard to be a Rubik's cube puzzle which, in our opinion, removed any emotional charge that it was trying to build. We left with a cerebral experience, not the emotional charge we expected from a romantic thriller.

The lack of trust that both characters had for each other was believable for two spies, but undermined belief in the love they professed for one another at the end.

I am usually concerned about how edifying the film will make me feel at the end of the viewing, and while not emotionally uplifted it contained a redemptive ending, so I left without feeling offended after the viewing.

For us, there was little chemistry created between the two characters, and while Julia Roberts is still a beautiful woman, her age is definitely showing. For her stature in the industry I hope in future films she makes more artistic movies that express the heart.

This movie may be enjoyable for those who are trying to figure out the puzzle, but, as I said, the Rubik theme as presented by the Rubik cube key chains, and the multiple screen wipes, and the jumping back and forth in time complicated the movie too much for us.

Save your money and your time

Author: runespro from New York, NY
20 March 2009

Julia looks too old and matronly for Clive who is sleek and sexy and very charming. It's a shame that Julia has lost her oomph and style. She looks tired.

Movie is too long (or feels too long) and not nearly interesting enough to hold my attention. The cutting out of sequence did not enhance the story and certainly did not help whatever small bits of funny (or satirical) material was stuffed into a lackluster script.

Directing seemed as flabby as the script and the editing did not help speed up or clarify the overly convoluted plot.

Duplicity certainly dupes the audience. What should be crisp and funny and sexy seems very lukewarm and stale material. The film needs a much better script and certainly better performances - with the exception of a wonderful sequence with Carrie Preston as a Tennessee deb, Barbara Bofferd conned by Clive (with a great Tennessee accent). If the rest of the film had been played with the gusto and tongue-in-cheek style of these scenes, it would have been a wonderful experience.

Please don't see this film

Author: amy-girl from Austrila
21 March 2009

My friend and i walked into the cinema and just managed to catch a screening of 'duplicity'. What seemed like 4 hours later, we walked out of the cinema both furious at ourselves for wasting so much time and money on such a terrible movie! The story line of this is incredibly weak and never takes off, the actors (both i previously liked, for movies like 'pretty woman' and 'inside man') were made to look like they could have been razzie winners.

By the end me and my friend were begging for it to finish, the only thing we got out of it was a bit of a laugh at how crap it was. The 'i love you' confession at the airport has to be some of the worst movie dialogue i've ever heard, if you thought Julia Roberts 'confession' was bad, you really won't want to listen to Clive Owen's.

Just please don't see this, i can think a million better things you could pass time with, ANYTHING is better than this. It's 125 minutes of my life i'll never get back!

Wouldn't consider this a great movie

Author: Kadal from United States
24 April 2009

Don't believe all the hype on this movie. It's somewhat boring, too long and simply not all that interesting. Wasted time and money on this dog. I found myself continually fidgeting, looking at my watch and wondering if it wasn't about time to end this puppy so I could end a wasted night. It jumps around too much, brings in uninteresting characters, and generally does not hold interest. I figured if I just sat there long enough it would simply have to end sooner or late, and I was pulling for sooner. Julia Roberts is beginning to show her age and seems as if she's just going thru the motions. We attend movies on an average of once a week. This week was somewhat of a loss.

This Movie Stunk So Bad I Thought I Had Poo On My Shoe

Author: imxo
22 March 2009

All the way home from the theater I wondered how I could possibly convey to readers here just how bad "DUPLICITY" really is. As far as I am concerned, director-writer Tony Gilroy should be considered to be the Bernie Madoff of movies. Essentially, just as with Madoff's "investments", there really is nothing here. Instead of being a movie, it is merely a "vehicle" for making money and for 41-year old actress Julia Roberts to try to convince herself and us that she's 20 years younger. As she descends the ladder of professional accomplishment in movies like this it appears that Clive Owen is trying to parlay a connection with her to enhance his own fortunes. If they kissed on screen once they must have kissed each other 20 times. Both of them are in danger of becoming mere entertainment celebrities.

I can only shake my head as I wonder how Roberts, Owen, Paul Giamatti, and Tom Wilkinson could possibly do this to the movie-going public - their own people! The only answer I can come up with is this: money.

Several years ago Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie made a silly, puerile, idiotic movie of a similar sort called "Mr. and Mrs. Smith." That movie was, indeed, terrible, but compared to "Duplicity" it was a work of high art. In any event, there's not a dumpster deep enough to bury either of those movies.

"Momento" is 100% easier to understand

Author: Jon Eric from United States
21 March 2009

We just put down $44 to see this piece of cow dung. What a waist of time and hard earned cash. I've never been so confused watching a movie. "Momento" was 100% easier to understand.

Julia Roberts was paid $15 million smackers to walk through the set. Owens was doing everything possible not to blow her head off, which would have earned this "film" two stars rating instead of one.

The only positive thing to say was the performance of the ever quirky and dead pan humor of Paul Giamatti. Tom Wilkinson must have used the same acting coach as Roberts because he was very boring.

At the end of the movie I did not care about any of these shallow characters. The plot twist was ridiculous and implausible. Skip this movie - you have been warned!!!

Duplcity - was it duplicity with the audience?

Author: garry-44 from Canada
28 March 2009

We went because we generally enjoy Julia Roberts.

A tedious movie about uninteresting characters with a ho-hum plot. The plot was tedious, the supposed corporate product was boring as were the meanderings of characters. One of the worst movies we've seen in the last year! Julia, were you double dealing with your audience?

I read that a review that said the plot was 'clever', hmmm clever and smart must be in short supply if this is what passes as clever. Usually in a love story you want to feel for the characters so that you can share the adventure - or maybe even hate them - these ones were just boring. However in this the only warmth was the money that passed hands as the movie theatre owners accepted our money that we too willingly passed to them. We are what would be called a 'mature' audience i.e. over 50 wit a little life experience. So if you are under 22 this may be the movie for you.