IMDb > "Dollhouse" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dollhouse"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dollhouse" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Don't Watch It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: Gabelaire from United States
8 August 2011

So I started out watching the show and I must admit it was amazing. It may have been a good plot but let me tell you the show would have been nothing without it's quirky comic relief, Topher Brink. Maybe if they had started out without him the show would have had something going for it, but by getting the viewers attached to the character they opened up a whole new can of worms. I knew nothing about what was going to happen and I can't honestly say I watched the entire ending but I really don't want to. The last episode shows Topher going into the building and he looks at the pictures on the wall and then the whole building explodes. I understand they need something big to happen for their last episode, but really???? They needed to kill the best character to do it??? I have one piece of advice for viewers. The show has been cancelled, so please whatever you do, don't watch it! It will only leave you feeling miserable. There is no happy ending.

started poorly, got Great!

Author: aridge23 from Seattle, United States
24 September 2009

Joss ALWAYS has to fight Fox to create his shows. remember that Fox didn't like the 2 hour pilot for Firefly and did not air it at the time. And then they canceled that show, halfway through the season. The first several episodes it seems obvious that the Fox execs were saying, no, it's gotta have less scifi & social commentary & be mostly hot girls. But if you wait it out, you can see when it turns around & starts getting Crazy like a true Joss Whedon production. If you love his work, give this show a chance. Hell, It took me 2 or 3 episodes to realize that Firefly was one of the Best Things Ever. Hopefully, season 2, which starts tomorrow, will prove me right, and we'll have years of crazy Whedony fun to look forward to.

Sterile and Tedious

Author: Billy_Crash from United States
17 February 2009

What an opening disappointment. Sure, Eliza is solid and seeing Amy Acker again was an excellent and welcomed surprise, but the sterility killed me (I'm also glad the severely under-rated Reed Diamond is back on the small screen). Even worse, the story is outrageously way over-the-top, trying to make it seem like some secret organization with one heck of a product is alive, well and kicking in our present time.

The setup and story is so contrived and so anti-Whedon. The layers of conflict and phenomenal dialogue of "Buffy", "Angel" and "Firefly" has been watered down to something quite lame and lackluster. "Buffy" always had more drama and conflict in one episode than ten commercially lame "ER" episodes put together, but that is not the case here in this formulaic venture.

The show reminded me of "La Femme Nikita" meets "The Stepford Wives" trapped in another bad installment of "James Bond: Whatever".

But I'm not bailing yet. I'll give it a couple more chances before I sigh and leave it for good. Joss, don't let us down!

Update: I gave it three shows and it's just too hokey, formulaic and commercially banal. Sad part is, Eliza is great and she's wasting her time (as well as Acker and Diamond). It's a shame that Whedon's intelligence, wit and depth is missing in this one.

Off-the-charts awful

Author: greenlivinisthelife from United States
16 February 2009

The whole thing was a mess. The entire cast is pretty. That's typical Joss Whedon. The set was beautiful. We got used to fantastic sets like the inside of Serenity, and the hotel lobby on "Angel". Dushku and Acker were there. That was nice.

The thing that was missing was the writing we got used to in Whedon's other series. There was no wit, no humor, no banter. The whole show was just a bunch of pretty people nancing around, hitting their marks, and reading flat, uninteresting lines.

I'd say I hope the show will get better, but then I don't remember one bad episode of "Firefly", "Buffy", or "Angel". I was hooked from the first minute to the last on each of those shows. I'm not the least bit interested after this pilot to know what happens to these people. I think I'll just watch my "Firefly" collection again.

interesting but flawed

Author: beakerfish from United States
4 May 2011

I thought that it was interesting. The idea of manipulating the mind like treating it like a computer fascinated me.

I hated the use of some of the language. Some of the wrong way of answering 'yes or no questions' irritated me. I was caught in wonder of that rather than following the story a number of times.

I had trouble with the science of it. Assortment of visual things is around us. Television. kaleidoscope. random lighting or color effects from nature. Plus, there are assortment of radiation from the sun and other waves around. Echo from big bang. I saw something of a speech impediment problem caused by a wave or something like it from a machine by a doctor or scientist. He was probably doing an overload to cause the speech impediment. In any case, I had a problem with some of the science of the show because I didn't see how it was possible other than general possibility of reprogramming the brain. I figured that the brain works on a same concept as a computer. Although, I don't believe it to be with 0s and 1s. But, I do believe that on or off which a way is 0s and 1s is a huge part of it. I believe if clauses are naturally occurring in the brain.

My sister does neuroscience work. I merely wonder about it for myself. I thought that it could have been better with better scientific explanation. I probably wanted too much.

I didn't understand the lighting of the seat and transfer of information.

Complex or Kryptic Its Hard to Tell

Author: Jakemcclake from United States
14 December 2009

I awaited the Dollhouse TV series with hope that Eliza Dushku would overpower the screen with a dramatic ferocious portrayal similar to Faith Lehane in "Angel, Five By Five". Didn't happen. Instead, I found needlessly over-complicated mixed up show with many many characters that is difficult to follow. Week in and Week out, I kept seeing the same supercomplex espionage filled show and new people that I did not know. I waited for something dramatic and powerful from Eliza's character, Echo, and never got it. She seldom even raises her voice. Do they (Joss Whedon and company) know what Eliza's talent is? Echo tends to get lost among the numerous characters and the numerous new characters that show up each week in the show.

Fantastic show with a rocky start

Author: Rachel Kiley (rachelkiley) from United States
10 September 2009

When critics and fans heard that Joss Whedon was finally bringing a new show to television, expectations ran high. But when Fox stepped in and meddled, as they so often do, the results were less than stellar. The first few episodes did not get good reviews and were not positively received by a lot of people. But you know what? Those episodes were still better than a lot of the crap that's on TV. They weren't as good as one would expect from the guy who created Buffy, Angel, and Firefly, but they were still good TV.

I remember clearly the night episode 6 of season 1 aired. This was the episode that was supposed to change everything. This was where Joss & co. claimed the series truly found its footing. It was also the night of the BSG finale. My friend and I opted to watch BSG and tape Dollhouse. And boy, after watching both of them, we sure wished we would have watched Dollhouse instead! Episodes 6-13 of the first season truly don't disappoint. They are fantastic, and both the finale and the "coda" episode ("Epitaph One") are mind blowing. I am beyond psyched for season 2 to begin.

A lot of people doubted Eliza Dushku's ability to take on a different character every week. But she's taken on the challenge and done quite a good job. Her strength does lie in slowly unveiling more complex characters, and that's where Joss's writing strengths lie as well, so hopefully together they will find a way to make that happen alongside the weekly adventures (and "Epitaph One" suggests they will). Another actor who's gotten some crap for his role has been Fran Kranz as the egotistical programmer Topher Brink. Both his acting and the role itself have been criticized. But he does a fantastic job. The people who criticize him simply are unable to look ahead and see where his part might take him. Topher seems to have no conscience, but it's in little moments that you are able to see (both through the writing and Fran's portrayal) that he's covering up something else, very possibly something deeper and darker than simple insecurities regarding his skills and/or himself as a person. I'm very excited to see where that goes.

The rest of the cast also does a wonderful job. I didn't think I would like Dichen Lachman but she has done nothing but impress me. Miracle Laurie isn't just an example of defying Hollywood beauty "standards" - she's a damn good actress and her character is quite fascinating. Enver Gjokaj is a previously undiscovered gem who we will no doubt be seeing much more of after Dollhouse. Olivia Williams and Harry Lennix are also wonderful. Tahmoh Penikett does a great job with what he has, but his character is one of the problems I have with the show. He is far too focused on saving Echo, and we are supposed to see him as a hero but he just becomes annoying. Hopefully this will change in season 2. Amy Acker doesn't even need a review because she's possibly one of the most talented actresses on TV today, and her character is just...endlessly intriguing. Trust me, watch the season through and you will see.

Fox has promised to leave Dollhouse alone in its second season, so the show is truly worth catching up on to follow along as it continues. It's a truly fantastic show, a good next step for Joss in his television creations. And I didn't even get to the intrigue of the mythology surrounding the dollhouses!

not very good

Author: jens-291 from Germany
4 June 2009

Just finished the second episode and I don't think I am going to stick around for a third one. What I've seen so far is severely disappointing and far from the greatness of Firefly. The show is dull and uninspired and some of the acting (especially Eliza Dushku's) is plain horrible. The story lacks Whedon's signature wits and clever writing and just doesn't have the genuineness of his previous projects, although he does seem to recycle quite a number of their elements. I am aware that some shows need a little time to shine but I really don't care enough about Dollhouse to even consider giving it any more of mine. For those of you expecting a worthy successor to Firefly, you won't find it here.

not very impressed so far

Author: Matthew Sexton from England
22 February 2009

was expecting this to be fun based on whedon's other work but ended up reminding me of the terrible terminator TV show. nice visuals and soundtrack but not much witty dialogue to get in to so far.

after watching the first two episodes - the story seems to take itself too seriously - lousy script, bad supporting cast. elisha dukshu is actually pretty good as the clueless, imprinted woman but that's where it ends.

the tone of this show is well off where i would have wanted it to be. nothing seems to be fun these days. don't think i'll be watching any more episodes.

A Bad Show Nobody Watches

Author: (howardsmalley) from United Kingdom
16 May 2009

Eliza Dushku surely is one of the most atrocious actresses ever to have failed to display acting talent on our screens and whatever hopes one may have had of success for this show was destroyed the moment Joss Whedon decided to cast her.

Joss Whedon apparently seems not to have the slightest idea on how to hire actresses that can act.

I was amazed learning that FOX is planning on announcing Dollhouse is coming back for a second (probably low-rated) season.

The idea that a show that nobody watches cannot be topped by another show is just what is sending FOX towards bankruptcy.