IMDb > Green Lantern (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Lantern

Green Lantern More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 55: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

An abrasive assault to the senses and dolefully dreary filmmaking.

Author: GoneWithTheTwins from
16 June 2011

The filmmakers are under the impression that audiences will accept anything, as long as it's drenched in special effects. Balls of gaseous substances, electrical fields of lightning, pulsing rays of color, billowing smoke, fiery explosions and glowing energy beams all shown rapidly and accompanied by piercing noises – these tricks are sure to impress even the most cynical critics. Unexplainable things happen all of a sudden and viewers are expected to sit back and soak up the visual zaniness without questioning all the cryptic events. This is simply not true. For an origins movie, Green Lantern certainly has a lot more explaining to do.

For centuries, the emerald energy of willpower has been fueling intergalactic peacekeepers known as Green Lanterns. Thousands of specially chosen warriors and guardians police the galaxies, using their unimaginable powers to quell the evil forces of fear. Legendary legionnaire Abin Sur (Temuera Morrison), aglow with purplish, translucent skin and rubbery tendons, discovers that an ancient monstrosity called Parallax has been steadily growing and is responsible for the recent deaths of several highly skilled Green Lanterns. When he encounters the frightful anomaly firsthand, he's mortally wounded and must crash land on Earth.

The viridian energy works in mysterious ways, and purposefully chooses the individuals that harness its powers. When Abin dies, the ring he possesses, recharged by a literal chartreuse lantern, seeks out devil-may-care, foolhardy, hotheaded jet pilot Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds, who hasn't changed drastically from Van Wilder) to be its new caretaker. At first he has no interest in assuming the responsibilities of protecting a massive sector of civilization, but with the help of negativistic ally Sinestro (Mark Strong), bulky alien Kilowog (Michael Clarke Duncan) and bird-beaked mentor Tomar-Re (Geoffrey Rush), Hal will become the most powerful Lantern of them all.

From the very start, solemn narration, intrusive flashbacks and countless tongue-twisting alien worlds, names and devices are utilized, going overboard to stay faithful to the DC Comics characters and entities. With such a swift running time, too much mindboggling content is thrown at the screen rapidly. In the vein of Star Wars or Star Trek, the ideas are completely science-fiction, working on a level closer to Thor than Iron Man. Almost nothing is grounded in reality, and because of this, little is deemed worthy of explanation. An "induction process" allows for communication between the human and his newfound comrades, along with quick acceptance of his lime green muscle suit, comical mask (to protect his identity, despite merely covering his cheekbones), and super powers. "The ring's limits are only what you can imagine," insists Tomar-Re, making further definition pointless.

A subplot with Dr. Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard) is unnecessary and wasted, the primary villain Parallax is built up to be invincible but then casually discarded, and Hal's love interest Carol Ferris (Blake Lively, proving she can only play one character) is hopelessly generic. It takes over an hour to devise a plot and forge an antagonist, and just a few minutes to hastily resolve it all. Impressive makeup goes the route of repulsive instead of awe-inspiring, and the costumes and character designs follow suit, appearing absurd rather than impactful.

While trying to stay true to the look of the original comic books, Green Lantern has crafted some incredibly silly stuff. The visuals are entirely too goofy for non-fans to readily digest. There's also a huge focus on responsibility, facing fears, and never giving up, which passes as noticeably bland and uninteresting. Like Iron Man 2, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, and most of the X-Men sequels, Green Lantern is a mishmash of outdated graphic novel lore, reinvention, redesign, revival, adaptation, stale humor and budget-busting special effects, all of which are an abrasive assault to the senses and dolefully dreary filmmaking.

- The Massie Twins

Visually impressive, a good jump start, unfortunate reactions

Author: Robert W. ( from Ontario, Canada
13 November 2011

Green Lantern was guaranteed to be really big or a complete miss. Unfortunately according to box office numbers and majority of reviews it seems to be a miss. Green Lantern is one of those super heroes that just didn't seem to translate well for most people on screen. It was a risky endeavour no doubt about it. I thought, considering the concept, it was done decently. It was better than Thor...but fell short of other similar super hero films and there were plenty in the summer of 2011. Green Lantern just belongs in the comics and animation rather than live action. Still for what they had to work with I think they did well. The film's special effects are stunning, the scenes in space are well done, the original story is solid and the performances of the cast are decent. Everything in the film is decent. The problem is that a superhero film nowadays needs to be better than decent, it needs to be outstanding. I don't know what they could have done better but I think if you go in without enormous expectations you'll find an entertaining fun film which is what is most important.

I love Ryan Reynolds, he's young, hot, talented and a versatile actor. I'm not sure he would have been my first choice for a serious superhero like Hal Jordan but he does well in the role. He has no shortage of chemistry on screen and he makes the character come to life. Blake Lively lacks a certain chemistry on screen, the opposite of Reynolds. The two of them together are good, but Lively is just too dry and really doesn't have the range to impress on screen. She is downright laughable as an airforce pilot as she looks too prissy. Peter Sarsgaard is terrific as Hector Hammond. I even think she is underused in the film but he does make an amazing villain to the story. He is probably one of the strongest performers in the movie. Mark Strong would be a close second, and he too is underused in the film, but he is excellent as Sinestro who is a good guy in the film but Green Lantern fans will know his ultimate destination. I think more time spent with Sarsgaard and Strong would have done the film well because they truly are the two best characters and very strong actors all around. As an afterthought I also think Sarsgaard could have even played Hal Jordan.

Director Martin Campbell is a great action director. His past experiences make him a good choice for this film and he does hold it together. I think if not Campbell behind the camera and a solid cast, Reynolds, Strong, and Sarsgaard as well as a solid supporting cast including Tim Robbins, Jay Sanders, Geoffrey Rush and Michael Clarke Duncan to name a few the film would have really fallen apart and been far worse than what they gave us. The film wasn't a complete flop, it did make money, but as often is the case it cost so much to make that it didn't succeed the way they had hoped. A lot of people did enjoy the film and I am one of them, in fact I encourage you to check this out but don't expect a Dark Knight or a Superman film because the Green Lantern is just different. If they decide to put together a sequel I think they need to tread lightly and not spend so much money on special effects and go for the human live action qualities. Still worth seeing!! 8/10

Traditional For A Super Hero Movie

Author: roocadillac85 from Los Angeles, CA
28 October 2011

I just watched this new Green Lantern film on VCD just a few days ago, and I figure this one has pretty much everything people can expect from a super hero movie. For instance, there are a couple of times where the title character gets into near-death experiences but was able to get out of it, a very essential theme for films of this genre. Another great theme used shows how the hero went from being a misfit to someone worth being part of the fighting force.

There's probably a number of explanations why this film did little in the box office. But I figure the most logical reason might be that the title character isn't as famous as those other DC Comics heroes. I mean, I've been hearing about Superman and Batman when I was a kid. As for Green Lantern, I never heard of him until the Justice League series appeared in Cartoon Network. Anyway, I do find that green guy cool to watch.

Fun, easy flick

Author: baldclub from Canada
13 September 2011

You know what? I like this movie. Fun, good action, comic book stuff which I love, and sure, some decent acting to boot. The female lead is hot, strong and she can act. The bad guys are kind of the problem in this movie, too many weird connections trying to bring too many Green Lantern enemies into one flick.

I think this movie is a little irreverent in terms of comic book movies, takes some jabs at itself and has fun in the process. I've never seen Ryan Reynolds before, reminds me of Jason from True Blood, but he did a very good job.

I recommend it for what it is: light, fun and comic book entertainment.

What A Nice Surprise

Author: stormhappy106 from United States
3 January 2015

I avoided this film for for a long time because I thought that many didn't like it(a la Daredevil)but was I wrong to avoid it! I loved this movie and have now seen it many times.

I barely remember reading Green Lantern as a kid, but who cares, this was a fun, exciting and impressive movie.

Ryan Reynolds was perfect as Hal Jordan, and everyone else was fine also.

Special Effects were top-notch.

The film still made an impressive $116 million domestically, which shows that many people ignored the ignorant critics.

Parallax was a superb creation.

I intend to see this film many more times in the future.

Fear and Power

Author: ray3969 from United States
1 May 2012

After the whole alien scene, and we finally get to the humans and Ryan Reynolds' part we see that he is really just a regular guy that's a cocky pilot. He isn't the easiest person to be around, but he is good at what he does and tries to be the best and be different. Once he gets the ring I feel like this is the start of trying to find out who he actually is and the "something" that is in him that even he can't see. I really like the idea of the fear and how they showed that. It's as if it means something more and then if you fall into the trip of this fear and "enjoy" it too much its going to take you over and you will eventually die to the fear. It holds you back from what you know is right and your will is sucked right out of you and you succumb to its power. There is always going to be fear in the world, as we see from the very end of the movie after the credits, and even tempting the idea of fear will take you over faster than you realize. Having the will power and faith power is always going to win over fear and death.

Better than was expected, but must be. treated as the start to a bigger story

Author: Generic_Gooner from United Kingdom
17 July 2011

The danger here was always going to be the decision whether to throw all the eggs in the basket and hit us with the best green lantern has to offer in terms of powers and his ultimate nemesis or to play it slowly and open up a potential franchise.

The writer(s) here obviously wanted to make an attempt at the latter and i thought it was a commendable effort even if it did sometimes feel like it was labouring in places and rushing in others.

Its hard to put a finger on exactly what they did wrong, they certainly got more right than other films in this genre recently and have brought another superhero to the big screen which should be and sort of is a good thing.

First off i like Ryan Reynolds as an actor, he has a good ability for comedic turns and yet also able to bring emotion to his roles. In this role he was promoted in the build up to its release as playing the character more straight and less his usual sarcastic persona we have seen before. And yet still it felt like he hadn't fully shed it, like any moment he was going to slap in a deadpan remark.

The film is VERY CGI heavy, and this deliberate call does influence how you will take this film on board. To me it was not only a necessity to bring us the green lantern as he should be but it also made the scenes where he wasn't on this planet run a lot smoother. But I'm also aware that people out there hate CGI effects so if you are one of them this really isn't for you.

The storyline played out well, it managed to bring us a back story of sorts to why Hal Jordan is the way he is, and even fleshed him out a little bit with a scene showing some family time for him, but its in and around here that elements seem to niggle away at me as the pacing cant make up its mind. At times a moment lingers almost too long, before we are then yo-yoing between plot points until they have felt like they have given us a full enough picture to it all. When the green lantern side of it comes into play they manage to calm the film down a little while cranking up the action. They find good time to show training and learning about it all before putting into play the villains and forcing the finale upon our hero, with plenty of opportunities to show personal growth in more than one of the characters.

What i will say to conclude is go into this with an open mind to enjoy a superhero film, ignore any preconceptions you might have had about the trailer because it seems a lot of us felt that trailer was mediocre at best. What i found after the film was that it had felt very much like a good foundation film to a trilogy or at least a 2 parter, putting in place the origins and some subtle plot lines that seem to be loose ends now but will obviously come into play in a major fashion should a sequel or two be commissioned.

So go into this expecting to see the first film in a franchise, enjoy what they start and then expect to either feel hungry for more and on a grander scale... or realise this isn't the franchise for you and move on happy in the knowledge the film didn't drag on forever nor did it try to explain things to death.

Maybe it's because I had low expectations for this movie, but it's not that bad

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
7 July 2011

To start with I wasn't really a fan of The Green Lantern in comic books or was hyped to see the movie when I saw the trailer for this superhero. He does have a pretty cool super power and all, but just didn't find this character all that fascinating. Maybe it's because I had pretty much low expectations of this movie, since I heard many negative things about this movie. But it wasn't all that bad, even the script had been better and less predictable it would have been much better. But this is a decent superhero movie that has some fun scenes and I actually enjoyed watching this movie to some degree. This isn't a great superhero movie but for the most part it really is passable. The main flaw though is how predictable most of it is and some parts just seemed kinda lame, the script just wasn't all that interesting. The action sequences however and the special effects were well done for the most part and the acting is decent as well. The way it shows the superhero and villains powers was entertaining because it's actually sort of creative and fast paced. This is basically the origin story for Hal Jordan aka Green Lantern(Ryan Reynolds) and it's a decent start if this becomes a franchise.

Never read the Comic Books But Watched the movie

Author: darkstar007 from United States
3 October 2011

I just finally watched the extended version of the movie. And it took me this long to get to it because i like many other people heard it sucked. That could be further from the truth. I kinda regret now not watching it in the movie theater and supporting the film. Just goes to show, should not listen to what everyone else has to say. Guess some die hard comic book fans were not to happy about it. But i say it was just good fun.

One thing that threw me off from watching it originally was the on the TV commercials it appeared like the CGI was just awful (Maybe the could have left that part out of the trailers). But after watching the movie i now see i was wrong. Being that i had never read any Green Lantern comics i did not understand that the Green Lantern Outfit was more like a skin and not a costume ala superman, batman, flash. So from the trailers my misconception of the Green Lanterns look was that it was just a bad case of a CGI outfit, which it isn't. So just Watch it yourself and make your own decision.

Was this good? No... it was GREAT! Here's why...

Author: The_Dunadan from Peru
21 June 2011

I've been reading in the past few days tons of reviews about this movie and how it doesn't fill expectations.

Yesterday, after seeing it myself, I went to bed wondering if all those reviewers had seen the same amazing movie I saw.

I am a HUGE Green Lantern fan, and had been waiting years to see this come to the screen. I was really excited when I knew it was finally being made. Not that excited when I read about Ryan Reynolds. But yesterday, I just shut my mouth and saw a feast... an Emerald Feast.

"Green Lantern" is NOT thought to be in the same vein as "The Dark Knight". It is NOT intended to be a realistic psychological portrayal of s society and an anti-hero that rises. It is the opening point to an intergalactic saga of epic proportions in which our core sense of morals, duty and responsibility need to be questioned.

This movie is screaming in your face "Hey, this is only the beginning!"

I remember when I saw "The Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" back in 2001. Some people said "Oh, what a waste of time. They didn't even destroy the ring!"

My answer was "What letter of the word TRILOGY you didn't understand?"

"Green Lantern" is CLEARLY the STARTING POINT for an epic story that will continue developing in its sequels (just like "Star Wars: A New Hope").

So if you have been worrying thinking this is a mess, trust me: it is NOT... It's GREAT. To me, better than "Thor" and on the same level as "X-Men: First Class."

Ryan Reynolds suits the role perfectly as Hal Jordan, and you can definitely see a process in him, his journey to become a hero as he deals with his own fears.

Blake Lively is really hot and delivers a right performance, much to be developed in further sequels too.

Mark Strong and Peter Saarsgard are great. They hit the spot perfectly in their roles.

This movie is definitely now on the top of my FAVORITE superhero films.

Said again, "Green Lantern" isn't about dark realism and crime, like Batman, it's about... LIGHT in galactic proportions, and how you can discover your most courageous side in times of despair. It's a true HERO movie, much like Christopher Reeve's "Superman" was back in 1978.

I cross my fingers hoping that a Director's Cut will be released. This movie could easily last 3 hours. I never saw the clock once.

There's too much to cover and too little time. But, despite of this, Martin Campbell manages to give us a solid story that, as I said before, is just the germ of further development.

So just grab a snack, sit down and enjoy. And get ready for some great "Green Lantern" sequels.

In brightest day, in blackest night, mates!