IMDb > Green Lantern (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Lantern

Green Lantern More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 56: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Don't listen to the critics

Author: bullseye_archer_admiral from United States
23 August 2011

I love it when you hear a movie sucks then watch it yourself and realize that there are some really whiny people out there. This was a good movie, but I'm not about to say great because there were problems. Namely, the editing was not good. I have heard that the theater version was the studio cut and not Martin Campbell's, so I think that the extended cut coming out on Blu-ray should fix allot of these problems. Also the plot seemed like there where some holes in it(and supposedly the extended cut might fix this). Also, the training and last fight scenes were short. But once again, the extended cut it is supposed to make these scenes much longer (with multiple lanterns instead of just Hal Jordan in the final fight scene). That being said this movie had so much more to love than hate. Ryan Reynolds did a near-perfect Hal Jordan and Strong did a perfect Sinestro. The CGI was kinda cartoony but its supposed to be so I didn't mind. I did not watch it in 3-D (cuz I hate 3-D), but the 2-D visuals looked beautiful. I really don't see why this movie got all the hate that it has other than that I think people were expecting a sci-fi Dark Knight and got Green Lantern. I would put it on par with the first Spider-man and X-men movies. So just go in with an open mind and have fun. Also, this is a good movie for kids cuz its no more violent than Star Wars but it may be a little scarier.

A worthy origin story and a fine beginning to the series

Author: TarantulasPrime from United States
18 June 2011

As a longtime fan of the Green Lantern stories, I hoped that the promise of the writers to respect the story line was not just something said to placate the fans. They weren't lying, and they didn't screw it up. The movie is a retelling of the standard Hal Jordan origin story which has been told so many times before. First we establish Hal as a skilled pilot, always in trouble for not following established procedures. He is summoned against his will to a crash site where he is given a technological (NOT "mystical") power ring by a dying alien. Soon after that, he is summoned to planet Oa, where he meets fantastic aliens and is trained to be a Green Lantern. At first, the other Lanterns doubt his skill and commitment, but his tendency to "think outside the box" allows him to defeat a powerful enemy and win the admiration of the entire Corps. This same story has been told in slightly different ways in the comics, on TV, in animated films, and now in a live action movie. And the movie did not disappoint.

Ryan Reynolds was excellent as Hal Jordan. In interviews prior to the movie, he said that he understood the importance of respecting a character that has been loved for more than fifty years by millions of fans worldwide. That respect came through loud and clear in his portrayal of Hal. Mark Strong as Sinestro was a joy to behold. He did a masterful job of acting, making the character totally believable. Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond was wonderfully wacky, bone-chillingly evil when combined with Parallax, and I wish he could return somehow for another engagement. When a killer laughs while doing evil deeds, he takes the audience completely out of their comfort zone. Very nicely done, sir. Blake Lively was good as Carol Ferris, although she didn't seem to have much to do. And that's not a bad thing, since the movie was mostly about Hal and the Corps. I'm sure we will be seeing more of the lady code-named "Sapphire" in future movies. She was given a great line at a point where Hal expressed doubts about his ability to be a Lantern due to his fear. She said that it's not about being without fear, it's about overcoming fear, and Hal was good at that. It's what a power ring always says to a Green Lantern candidate, "Hal Jordan of Earth, you have the ability to overcome great fear. Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."

Speaking of the ring, that is one of the few minor criticisms of the movie. The power ring, although not alive, can speak to the ringbearer. It can report the percent of its power remaining, warn the ringbearer of approaching danger, or provide the results of a scan. Maybe Hal didn't have enough training to bond with his ring telepathically, because all it seemed to do was produce a vibration sound like a pager. The ring has a voice. We want to hear it speak. Another quibble about the portrayal of the ring is that normally a ringbearer in space will be surrounded by a force field. In the comics and cartoons this is usually shown as being right next to the ringbearer's skin. In the movie it was shown as a dispersed electrical field around the ringbearer, but in the final scene in space, four Lanterns are shown hovering with no shield at all. Maybe this was just a continuity error, but they would not have been able to breathe without the ring's help. The final small nit-pick is about the theme song. There wasn't one. I wanted to hear a stirring and heroic Green Lantern Theme that would stick in my mind enough that I would be humming it on the way out of the theater. But instead of that, there was generic orchestra music. Think Superman and Superman Returns, or Star Wars, or even Ghostbusters. The Green Lantern Corps needs a theme song.

Now for the kudos. There were early complaints that the fans wanted to see the trademark Green Lantern uniform, with black sleeves and pants legs, green boots and body suit, and white gloves, and that an all green uniform didn't look right. But since the uniform is created by the power ring, it makes sense that it would not be static like a uniform made of dead cloth, but instead would be pulsating with power. The chest symbol was lighted (and Abin Sur's light went out when he died), and when Hal used his ring, the power was shown to be flowing from the chest symbol down his arm to the ring. The uniform works. The special effects and CGI were excellent. Some of the flight scenes reminded me of flying around Second Life as a Lantern. This could have been a great disappointment, but instead it was a joy to behold. And by all means, watch the movie in 3D. Unlike Avatar, where only a few of the scenes were in 3D, every scene in this movie has a 3D aspect to it. The opening scene all by itself has a jaw-dropping effect, and is enough to rivet the audience's attention. At times, there was almost too much action going on, like the scene at the party where people are running and screaming and Hal is using his power ring to protect everyone. It appeared to me that some partygoers were squashed, but they weren't. That scene will need to be watched again when the DVD comes out.

The few minor quibbles only slightly detract from an excellent Hal Jordan origin story. I hope the Green Lantern franchise makes a billion dollars and a hundred sequels. It's the finest comic book character around, and a great role model for kids.

Le Sigh

Author: moviedoors from United States
17 June 2011

The Good:

Ryan Reynolds- he really did give it his all and sold it as best he could. His sincerity was undeniable and he deserves most of the credit for what works in the movie. He succeeded were plenty of others would've fallen flat on their faces.

Peter Sarsgaard- not a great performance, but he was chewing the hell out of the scenery and having a blast doing it. I love that piercing scream he does.

The creature and Corp design work- The suits look great. They don't look phony at all on Reynolds. I love the bright colors. I was surprised how much I liked the look and presence of Parallax. Especially good sound work on him. There were some neat looking aliens tucked away in the corners.

The Bad:

The script- lazy, lazy, lazy. It's boiling over with clunky exposition. Who these characters were was shoehorned in in a very shoddy manner. Hal's flashback at the beginning to his father's death was the height of plot convenience. Hal and Hector having a past is pretty much non existent. They don't share any scenes together until what seemed like an hour in and their interaction basically amounts to them bumping into each other and going "Oh, hey. What's up?" And speaking of Hector, I have no idea who this guy was. He's infected pretty much immediately after we meet. Am I supposed to like him? see his flaws? see how he could be susceptible to fear? I don't know! Near the end, Sinestro describes Hal as brash and opinionated "just like Abin-Sur." Would have been nice to have actually see that quality in Abin instead of just being told at the end.

Actors in nothing roles- Tim Robbins and Angela Bassett do nothing of note playing cardboard characters with nothing to do but further the plot and add some cred to the cast. I'm not overly familiar with Blake Lively and I left with basically no impression of her. I won't blame her as she had essentially nothing to work with.

The Corp- Speaking of doing nothing, the Corp and the Guardians do nothing either. This is all tell and no show. Tomar-Re is Basil Exposition, Kilowag trains Hal for what seemed like 2 minutes and then more or less vanished, the Guardians sit on their thrones making bizarre, head scratching decisions and they have a serious case of the CG rubber lips. I started to perk up when Sinestro led a small regiment of Lanterns to fight Parallax, but it's a 30 second non- fight with one projection, 5 seconds of zipping around, and then Sinestro looking shocked after characters we "met" in 2 second cut-aways are dispatched with ridiculous ease by Parallax.

Oa- one of the biggest let downs for me. If you've seen the trailers, you've pretty much seen all this movie has to offer with this world. Some rocks, a purple sky, and Lanterns standing around doing, you guessed it, nothing. Asgard was a far more visually interesting place and forget about it even coming near Pandora.

The rest of the people on Earth- After Green Lantern makes his first appearance, there's a shocking lack of attention. There's a news report in the background of one scene "going who was this hero who saved the day?" as if that's the big story, and not a mention of, gee, I don't know, all the crazy energy constructs he created!

The credit cookie- Not earned in the slightest. The reason Sinestro puts on that yellow ring had zero to do with what was established throughout the entire rest of the movie (and for what it's worth, Sinestro works well with his small amount of screen time and Mark Strong brings as much gravity as his humanely possible to the role). This was nothing but cheap fan service and teeth grating plot contrivance.

Thor was a much more entertaining ride, and I thought Thor was merely good. Forget about it even coming close to Iron Man, Superman, Watchmen, or Nolan's Batmans. But, is it terrible? No. I'll watch this again before I go near Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, or Kick-Ass again. By a long shot. It didn't suck, but I just can't say I liked it either and I wanted to so bad. Big disappointment.

Green Lantern Review (may contain spoilers)

Author: jeffreydearman from United States
16 June 2011

For a superhero that can create anything he can imagine with his mind, the Green Lantern's creative team failed to create good characters, villains, special effects, or an overall enjoyable experience worth 11 dollars.

The movie starts off well enough with exciting action in space, where we meet a villain capable of absorbing entire planets (which comes across as a space version of the kraken used in Pirates of the Caribbean 2- not a good thing). Upon being injured, the greatest of all the Lanterns crash lands on Earth to begin the search for his successor. After searching what seems to be 4 square miles, the ring chooses the cocky and brash Hal Jordan. He's sucked up in a manner similar to the game Super Monkey Ball, and finds himself on the other side of town, and there before him is a spaceship. After an interaction of less than 30 seconds, the alien Abin Sur dies, leaving Hal wondering what to do next, and unfortunately much of the fun dies after this point.

After a bar brawl, Hal is whisked away to the beautiful planet Oa. For how much detail, design and money they put into this planet that holds all of the Lanterns, they spend all of 16 minutes on it. And of those 16 minutes, 10 is spent talking to knock-off Yodas about pointless stories and how they don't feel fear.

In a segment that feels very much like a video game intro to a game where they ask "is it OK the way you look up and down?" he learns to fly by simply falling off a ledge and just knowing how to, and why wouldn't he know how to fly? Considering he's had these powers all his life… except he hasn't.

At this moment the film feels like it's finally going to pick up, but it doesn't. He learns to "imagine" by getting the crap kicked out of him by a Lantern voiced by Michael Clark Duncan. After all of two minutes he has mastered the art of creating indestructible things with his mind. And after all of this build up he quits and goes back to earth after his feelings are hurt. I wish I was kidding.

Here, a character enters the movie for no reason whatsoever. A scientist named Hector Hamond- or what you will eventually know him as: that guy who shrieks and screams every time he so much as stubs his toe- is charged with examining Abin Sur's dead alien body by a secret government organization. After examining the alien body he begins to change into a "mad scientist". All the large head make up and special effects in the world couldn't make him either scary or believable as a villain. After this point every time someone so much as forgets the ranch he ordered with his fries he makes bad things happen to people. They even go as far as giving him the disappointed-in-his-son father-figure. Even though his dad got him the job to examine the alien and a promotion, he still hates him.

Enter Hals love interest, or what I like to call her, "attractive girl who stands around and looks pretty." Clearly taking acting notes from Natalie Portman's character in Thor, she is there and looks nice but doesn't really do anything important to the plot or to the movie itself. She and Hal have one good scene of chemistry, but other than that it's just scene after scene of her in tighter and tighter dresses.

Hals "best friend character" does nothing more than pick him up one time and then say "cool" when Hal shows him the Lantern suit. That's literally all he does. There isn't that helping the hero out as best he can in the end, or anything else to add. All of these distractions and pointless characters begin to add up in an origin story of a superhero with a running time of an hour and forty five minutes.

The music… I found myself feeling that much of the music could easily have been lifted from any episode of 7th Heaven at times. During the action there wasn't any swell of excitement that music should add to a film. In fact it goes unnoticed for much of the movie, never creating a Green Lantern theme; no anthem for the DC hero. Just the most stock music you will hear this summer. The one bright spot in this otherwise dim movie was the character Sinestro played by actor Mark Strong. His scenes were the more enjoyable to watch, and yet in the end his character stays in the wings for the entire movie.

Bottom line The Green Lantern is a movie that starts off promising, but ends leaving the viewer with very little interest in a sequel, or in the hero in general. With poor characters, video game-like special effects, and a very anti-climactic finale, the Green Lantern offers very little compared to the already great movies released this summer. Throughout the movie the Lanterns stress the fact that they do not feel fear, but unless this movie has a monster opening weekend, the execs that green-lit this 300 million dollar movie might just be fearing for their jobs.

Visually impressive, a good jump start, unfortunate reactions

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
13 November 2011

Green Lantern was guaranteed to be really big or a complete miss. Unfortunately according to box office numbers and majority of reviews it seems to be a miss. Green Lantern is one of those super heroes that just didn't seem to translate well for most people on screen. It was a risky endeavour no doubt about it. I thought, considering the concept, it was done decently. It was better than Thor...but fell short of other similar super hero films and there were plenty in the summer of 2011. Green Lantern just belongs in the comics and animation rather than live action. Still for what they had to work with I think they did well. The film's special effects are stunning, the scenes in space are well done, the original story is solid and the performances of the cast are decent. Everything in the film is decent. The problem is that a superhero film nowadays needs to be better than decent, it needs to be outstanding. I don't know what they could have done better but I think if you go in without enormous expectations you'll find an entertaining fun film which is what is most important.

I love Ryan Reynolds, he's young, hot, talented and a versatile actor. I'm not sure he would have been my first choice for a serious superhero like Hal Jordan but he does well in the role. He has no shortage of chemistry on screen and he makes the character come to life. Blake Lively lacks a certain chemistry on screen, the opposite of Reynolds. The two of them together are good, but Lively is just too dry and really doesn't have the range to impress on screen. She is downright laughable as an airforce pilot as she looks too prissy. Peter Sarsgaard is terrific as Hector Hammond. I even think she is underused in the film but he does make an amazing villain to the story. He is probably one of the strongest performers in the movie. Mark Strong would be a close second, and he too is underused in the film, but he is excellent as Sinestro who is a good guy in the film but Green Lantern fans will know his ultimate destination. I think more time spent with Sarsgaard and Strong would have done the film well because they truly are the two best characters and very strong actors all around. As an afterthought I also think Sarsgaard could have even played Hal Jordan.

Director Martin Campbell is a great action director. His past experiences make him a good choice for this film and he does hold it together. I think if not Campbell behind the camera and a solid cast, Reynolds, Strong, and Sarsgaard as well as a solid supporting cast including Tim Robbins, Jay Sanders, Geoffrey Rush and Michael Clarke Duncan to name a few the film would have really fallen apart and been far worse than what they gave us. The film wasn't a complete flop, it did make money, but as often is the case it cost so much to make that it didn't succeed the way they had hoped. A lot of people did enjoy the film and I am one of them, in fact I encourage you to check this out but don't expect a Dark Knight or a Superman film because the Green Lantern is just different. If they decide to put together a sequel I think they need to tread lightly and not spend so much money on special effects and go for the human live action qualities. Still worth seeing!! 8/10

Traditional For A Super Hero Movie

Author: roocadillac85 from Los Angeles, CA
28 October 2011

I just watched this new Green Lantern film on VCD just a few days ago, and I figure this one has pretty much everything people can expect from a super hero movie. For instance, there are a couple of times where the title character gets into near-death experiences but was able to get out of it, a very essential theme for films of this genre. Another great theme used shows how the hero went from being a misfit to someone worth being part of the fighting force.

There's probably a number of explanations why this film did little in the box office. But I figure the most logical reason might be that the title character isn't as famous as those other DC Comics heroes. I mean, I've been hearing about Superman and Batman when I was a kid. As for Green Lantern, I never heard of him until the Justice League series appeared in Cartoon Network. Anyway, I do find that green guy cool to watch.

Fun, easy flick

Author: baldclub from Canada
13 September 2011

You know what? I like this movie. Fun, good action, comic book stuff which I love, and sure, some decent acting to boot. The female lead is hot, strong and she can act. The bad guys are kind of the problem in this movie, too many weird connections trying to bring too many Green Lantern enemies into one flick.

I think this movie is a little irreverent in terms of comic book movies, takes some jabs at itself and has fun in the process. I've never seen Ryan Reynolds before, reminds me of Jason from True Blood, but he did a very good job.

I recommend it for what it is: light, fun and comic book entertainment.

An immensely enjoyable....

Author: shekharrana-46398 from London
23 August 2015

The powerful but arrogant warrior, A decent comic book adaptation of the DC comic book character Green Lantern.

It's certainly not as bad as some critics have made it out to be.

It's fun, the action sequences are flashy and exciting. The acting is

all top notch and the humor is done really well. It's fun, the action

sequences are flashy and exciting. The acting is all top notch and the humor is done really well.

Now let me begin by saying this film is not an amazing film. It is definitely not an awful film, like most critics are saying. I think critics might have raised their expectations due to Thor and X-Men: First Class. They should not compare the Green Lantern with those films. It is ranked now 24% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is way too low. It would probably be in the high 60s, if it was released before Thor and X-Men: First Class.

keenly waiting for second part...

Fear and Power

Author: ray3969 from United States
1 May 2012

After the whole alien scene, and we finally get to the humans and Ryan Reynolds' part we see that he is really just a regular guy that's a cocky pilot. He isn't the easiest person to be around, but he is good at what he does and tries to be the best and be different. Once he gets the ring I feel like this is the start of trying to find out who he actually is and the "something" that is in him that even he can't see. I really like the idea of the fear and how they showed that. It's as if it means something more and then if you fall into the trip of this fear and "enjoy" it too much its going to take you over and you will eventually die to the fear. It holds you back from what you know is right and your will is sucked right out of you and you succumb to its power. There is always going to be fear in the world, as we see from the very end of the movie after the credits, and even tempting the idea of fear will take you over faster than you realize. Having the will power and faith power is always going to win over fear and death.

The Green Lantern

Author: ERICKA BRE from Mexico
12 August 2011

Amazing film, definitely the best superhero film in the last years!; An excellent use of visual effects and the main character with great attitude, just a good movie, thumbs up!! Although there are changes to the story are minor adjustments that help the continuity of the script. The key lines of the main character makes you understand the philosophy of the hero. Despite the lukewarm reception from critics consider this film is far superior to what is described and even what to expect after watching the trailers. It shows that enthusiasm goes beyond the fear, which makes these teachings to the level of Yoda himself. Since the beginning of the movie shows agile and witty, giving us an opportunity to recognize the background of each character. For connoisseurs of the Green Lantern comic will be a joy to see the conformation of Oa and the deployment of power and charm of the Green Lanterns.