IMDb > Green Lantern (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Lantern

Green Lantern More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 53: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Wow! And not in a good way.

Author: airman_1 from Canada
31 March 2012

Not hard to figure out that this movie probably took a bath at the box office. Poor story line and the expected stupidity from an "average Joe" finding out he has super powers. I know its all based off of a comic book superhero, but I found this movie to be too "cartoony". Which is very unfortunate, considering they could have really knocked it out of the park. And at the end...they left it open for a sequel with how Synestro came to be....Sorry guys, I highly doubt there will be a sequel. I seriously question whether this movie even made enough money to cover the cost of the actors in it. Clearly, anyone that watches this movie will be able to tell that the actors in it have been out of work for some time. My advice to Ryan Reynolds...if they do make a sequel...pass on the part. This part made him look like a goof!

Disorganized, over-thought excuse for a movie

Author: FatMan-QaTFM from United States
24 August 2011

I am beginning to feel overrun with super-hero movies, but Green Lantern is only the 5th this year out of 6. I guess 6 is a lot when you think about the money that's gone in to production, advertising, and distribution. For something so loved, popular, and (I'm assuming here) well written, these movies have been typically quite bad. I must be stupid or something – I wander in to these movies all excited and leave with shuffling aimlessly with no will to live. It's like digging in to delicious vanilla pudding only to find it's Miracle Whip®.

The movie opens with lovely CGI of what we wish we were getting back from the Hubble telescope. We also get a riveting explanation of the origin of the rings and their power. See, they use an ancient power harvested from across the universe. It is called willpower.

Willpower.

Will. Power.

Hollywood will take creative liberties with EVERYTHING, but they won't make take a teeny bit of liberty to make this more…something. I still can't put my finger on how this made me feel, but I will tell you it's hard to laugh when your face is buried in your hands. The movie doesn't get any better with the immediate in-your-faceness of Ryan Reynolds and his over-hyped star status paired with the detestable Blake Lively. What ever happened to the days when Reynolds was cocky Van Wilder trying to get with Tara Reid? Purity of art is forever lost.

Action(?) flies across the screen in constant snippets of nearly unrelated action backed by little musical medleys that sound like bumper music for a metal-themed sitcom. There should be a clear villain, but we get a huge misdirect and find that the wicked-cool bad guy is just a disposable lackey for Galactus..er…Parallax (-noun the apparent displacement of an observed object due to a change in the position of the observer. Makes sense.) After one and a half grueling hours of nothing, Hal Jordan suddenly becomes fearless and a perfect gentleman, Parallax finally reaches earth, and Hal Jordan quickly defeats him while looking incredibly constipated. The trailer is the entire movie, go watch it again.

IMDb trivia, while a dubious source, claims that Green Lantern was originally scripted as a comedy starring Jack Black. That makes more sense now that I saw the movie. "A magic ring? Skadoosh! Ham sandwich!" Couldn't have been any worse than the disorganized, over- thought excuse for a movie I suffered through (in 3D, no less).

Booooorrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggggggggggg!

Author: brianseaman from Canada
15 October 2011

I watched this last night on "pay per view;" or rather I should say, stopped watching this, at 30 minutes into it, actually. This is one of those films where I am in agreement with critics who trashed it. Ryan Reynolds was "acting" (and I use that term very loosely here)as if he had ingested a few Valium pills. He sleep walked through his scenes, delivering his lines as if he didn't care. There was no sense of dramatic timing and I found Reynolds' character's transformation into the Green Lantern to be devoid of any semblance of wonder and fun. I couldn't help but compare his bland discovery of his super powers (i.e. enhanced strength and the ability to fly) with Toby McGuire's acting in Spiderman, where he discovers his super powers with a mixture of awe, joy, confusion and even awkwardness. If I am going to watch a badly made movie, at least let it be something so wretchedly bad that watching it gives me nasty, visceral pleasure in jeering at its badness; i.e. something like Battlefield Earth or Show Girls. Green Lantern, on the other hand, is not one of those "it's so bad, it's good" in a nasty kind of way films. I can't believe this thing grossed over $200 million at the box office. It just shows the power of mass marketing, I guess, in our dumbed down, media saturated society.

Do not waste your money on Green Lantern

Author: disha shah from United States
17 June 2011

this movie has to be the worst of the comic book stories presented in a movie form. Ryan Reynolds is a great actor and I am bit baffled as to why he would even consider doing a film as such, He went from acting with A -list star like Sandra Bullock to non competent actress like Blake who? lively? she was not at all lively, sorry this actress cannot act, she doesn't posses the star like quality like scarlet Johansson, Sandra bullock has, Blake lively is another reason why this movie shocked me, an actress that will beg and go out of her way to get a role that's not up to her level which eventually fail and that was the only thing she has ever convinced me thus far. Bad actress who loves all the wrong attention. the only thing good about this movie is the color green. hopefully no sequel to this movie. Terrible actress with an OK genre made the movie extremely dissatisfying...

Not a blockbuster by a long shot

Author: (lancelong777@yahoo.com) from California
18 June 2011

Where do I start? Okay, lets start with the acting since most people think the actor makes the movie instead of the movie making the actor. Blake Lively, please, make me understand how this person is even allowed in film. She can not act and she certainly is not enough eye candy (samantha fox) to warrant making me suffer through two hours of her bad acting and misshaped facial ticks. I love Ryan Reynolds in everything but feel that he over "cheesified" the character. The movie itself wasn't a total waste but is reminiscent of the first Hulk. Great actor playing the Hulk but the movie was inferior. Same thing with Green Lantern, the CGI wasn't exactly on par with what we are used to seeing in the theaters and therefore, I do not recommend that you go spend twenty something for your time and money not so well spent.

dumb dumb and dumber

Author: valid908 from California
18 June 2011

This for comic book fans is just atrocious. Flat storyline with just hyped up special effects and a loud sound base to cover up the fact that this is just a bad movie. Nothing memorable in this or original and the actors are just not up to par. Why they got Blake Lively for this movie is beyond me. She's a terrible actress and can't hold a picture like this. I think she should go for lifetime movies or something like that - that would better hold her um..."talent". Probably has this role because of her PR (joke) and that her mom is a manager but REALLY they should have gotten someone that could have least act!

Overall, just a waste of time, money and theater space. Not a movie even really to wait for on netflix, on demand or whatever that you use. I would say just pass on this in general and you'll be glad you didn't waste your couple of hours watching this turkey!

Too short and boring

Author: martinhogberg1993 from Stockholm, Sweden
25 October 2013

I have always been a fan of Marlvel Comics and the superheroes and I first met green lantern when i watched Justice League. Although he's not one of my favorite superheroes, i like his powers very much . I both expected and wanted to see more green light action in this movie, more creativity and longer action scenes. I also think they put a little bit too much faith in Ryan Reinolds bringing the movie home, giving him too much screen time. I wanted to see more conflicts with relationships and friends, not just with Blake Lively. It also seemed a little bit unrealistic that the greatest threat to the Corps was defeated by a single, untrained human. That the whole space and all the other green lanterns just gave up on this human and just stood and watched as he single-handed took down the creature that they feared the most. Maybe if they made the movie longer they could have dealt with the things missing in my opinion.

Oh my...

Author: Stoshy from The Moon
20 October 2013

A wise plagiarist once said, "Brevity is the soul of wit." In other words, I'll keep it simple. Sure I could carefully analyze and list in detail everything that is wrong with the plot and its inconsistencies, or I could simply remark about the ending that happens to be this film's greatest downfall.

Though the strength of will was able to defeat the power fear in what could be considered the most laughable battle ever, Sinestro still feels the need to steal the unused, Yellow ring that was proved useless and impotent by will power (Green). It's like watching an American A-10 destroy a Soviet tank and choosing the Soviet tank over the A-10 for combat. Come on! Sinestro is never given any need nor is ever tempted to become a bad guy. He just defects it in one short scene during the credits.

A Likable Comic Book Movie

Author: ladymidath (ladymidath@gmail.com) from Australia
26 May 2012

I know a lot of people didn't like Green Lantern but I don't know why. It was a fun movie with a good solid lead in Ryan Reynolds. It was not as dark as The Dark Knight or V For Vendetta but that is not the nature of Green Lantern. The special effects were good and the casting was fine. Tim Robbins was well cast as Hammond as was Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond. Kudos to Mark Strong as Sinestro. I do hope they do a sequel with him as Sinestro was one of my favourite villains. All up it was a solid film and one I enjoyed immensely. Pity some people were disappointed but to be honest, I don't know what they were expecting as the film stayed reasonably true to the character and the tone of the comic books.

Fear and Power

Author: ray3969 from United States
1 May 2012

After the whole alien scene, and we finally get to the humans and Ryan Reynolds' part we see that he is really just a regular guy that's a cocky pilot. He isn't the easiest person to be around, but he is good at what he does and tries to be the best and be different. Once he gets the ring I feel like this is the start of trying to find out who he actually is and the "something" that is in him that even he can't see. I really like the idea of the fear and how they showed that. It's as if it means something more and then if you fall into the trip of this fear and "enjoy" it too much its going to take you over and you will eventually die to the fear. It holds you back from what you know is right and your will is sucked right out of you and you succumb to its power. There is always going to be fear in the world, as we see from the very end of the movie after the credits, and even tempting the idea of fear will take you over faster than you realize. Having the will power and faith power is always going to win over fear and death.