IMDb > Green Lantern (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Lantern

Green Lantern More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 56: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

I don't get all the fuss.

Author: grenosblackos from Switzerland
4 October 2011

I saw this movie yesterday, and i'll admit i expected more, but what CAN you expect from a superhero movie?. The special effects were great, but where one of the reasons why it flopped.300 million for a budget is just too much. Also, for once the girl actually noticed who green lantern's secret identity was, not like other superhero movies. Owa was great, Peter skasgaard was good, and scary, John hurt was mind-blowingly good as always, as for Ryan Reynolds, he doesn't make a bad GL. Sorry, this is a short review, and my first, so sorry. But since this IMDb restriction of 10 lines is just annoying, i will continue. Martin Campbell good have done a better job on this, for sure,(look at casino Royal and this, and i think you will get my point), but i think he did just fine. Oh, the plot was better than the average GL comic (i read some really awful ones). 10 lines yet? I guess not...

Excellent

Author: tamarenne from France
23 July 2011

I'm not sure why so many people disliked this movie. Perhaps I like it so much precisely because I came to it with VERY low expectations. In general, superhero movies leave me cold. But this one was better than most and Ryan Reynolds was charming in his role.

I thought it was as good if not better than x-men and MUCH better than Thor, which was terrible.

I loved that when people who knew Green Lantern IRL met him, they RECOGNIZED him, because that has always bugged me about superheroes. Take a massively built 6 foot 4 guy, with distinctive bone structure and eyes, and just pop on a pair of glases, or a cowl, and suddenly nobody knows who it is? Thank god this movie avoided that.

Also I loved the look of the myriad races as they appeared on Oa, very cool.

Great flick, and it's too bad there most likely won't be a sequel now.

Brightest Day, Darkest Night

Author: jpach34 from United States
25 June 2011

'In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight. Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might Beware My Power -- Green Lantern's Might.' – The motto that has the Summer of 2011 talking about. What is it about evil that it can be nothing but good? I can only guess two words – pure evil. The bright part, I didn't expect it to be green, I expected it to be white. But what do I know. I do know that this movie has surpassed the other super-hero movie: Thor by a landslide. Ryan Reynolds – yes sir – you talk about doing the green suit justice. The radar has been lifted, and it can never be down thanks to this great actor.

This movie was in one sense of the word –INCREDIBLE!!!! I loved it. Kudos goes to the director Martin Campbell. There was something that stuck out to me in this movie and that was you can't be afraid to take on the responsibility to embrace what you need to become but embrace the thing that you want most of all – not to fear.

Green means stop!

Author: maddog-50 from Belgium
20 June 2011

Don't listen to the negative remarks. This is a great movie. This movie is even awesome! There is so much CGI right from the beginning, that you might wonder if there was any camera on the set. Reynolds looks awesome in his CGI suit and you might imagine that he had to be bare-naked while filming all the motion capture stuff in front of a blue screen (or maybe it was a green screen). WOW!

But this little green eye mask piece which looks like he's coming just from stage of Johann Strauss opera "a night in Venice", makes him the sexiest superhero ever. The CGI of parallax looks like its done with some particle FX by Andrew Kramer in an 30 min. After Effects tutorial. But parallax is such an a*hole, he does not deserve better CGI so that our hero can shine here too. And he is so cool.

Instead of generating some superior weapons like rockets or so with his ring, he makes a WW2 antiaircraft gun, throws a fuel tanker at parallax and blows the tanker with the gun...W.O.W. And there is a lot of "wouldn't it be cool if" stuff going on in this movie! For instance, parallax has teeth, but not the teeth of T-Rex or so, no, he has the teeth of a plant eater. And this already gives a hint why this s.o.a.b. is so dangerous: he likes green stuff most.

Now, I may seem to be giving this movie a hard time, but I enjoyed it. I like this kind of mindless CGI trash. The goofiest superhero movie of the year. Awesome!

The "Iron Man" of DC Entertainment!!!

Author: James Simms from United States
21 September 2011

Just came back from the theater and now I'm going to give my two cents on it... After reading the negative reviews that were posted by the mainstream critics (If I should dare call them critics) I actually had my worries but I decided to stick to my guns and go forward with what my opinions were going to be and to my surprise everything turn out exactly as I predicted... And that was the critics were wrong!!! Possibly exaggerated!

The film was as good as it's worth and actually lived up to the trailers and hype that eventually lead the film up to. Of course it did had it's flaws aleast just a few but could easily be over looked and one of the flaws was that it was abit grounded in which I don't find that a bad thing since I for one was expecting it to be since this meant to be the first among many films to come. It's understandable that viewers and fans were expecting a more space opera like theme but I believe we might get more of that in sequels since thats what there for! I for one started enjoying it as the film goes on till I finally come the conclusion that after the end of the movie that I had three words lurking in my head and those words were... I, LIKE, IT!!! The Good: Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan, the visuals, the action, the other Lanterns (Abin Sur, Tomar-Re, Kilawog & Sinestro), Hector Hammond & Parallax and the forge of the yellow power ring.

The Flaws: It's slightly grounded, not much screen time for the other Lanterns especially against Parallax and short of a space opera like theme. This is one film that even hardcore fans would & should enjoy and appreciate for what it's worth and the execs of the WB should be patting themselves in the back for actually taking the time from keeping their heads inside their asses to actually taking them out and do what they should have done in the first place and that is giving other DC heroes (Aside from Superman & Batman) their chance to shine on the silver screen and hope the same can be done for other DC heroes to come!

A Classic Comic to Movie

Author: icurhuman2 from Australia
25 March 2013

I'm surprised by the average score this movie has gotten and so I must add to its legend in the hope that they do a follow up one day. I've watched it five times now - once at the theater, once as a hired DVD, and three times from the bought DVD. If you are a connoisseur of sci-fi and comic-to-movie this definitely belongs in the collection. I'd have given it a ten but I never give a ten to anything... Bought the original comic when it first came out (that's how old I am)and wish my mother didn't throw out my whole collection of original first editions, two suitcases worth (forty years ago)... I'd be worth a lot more than I am now if she hadn't.... If you haven't seen this one I strongly suggest you do!

Don't listen to the critics

Author: bullseye_archer_admiral from United States
23 August 2011

I love it when you hear a movie sucks then watch it yourself and realize that there are some really whiny people out there. This was a good movie, but I'm not about to say great because there were problems. Namely, the editing was not good. I have heard that the theater version was the studio cut and not Martin Campbell's, so I think that the extended cut coming out on Blu-ray should fix allot of these problems. Also the plot seemed like there where some holes in it(and supposedly the extended cut might fix this). Also, the training and last fight scenes were short. But once again, the extended cut it is supposed to make these scenes much longer (with multiple lanterns instead of just Hal Jordan in the final fight scene). That being said this movie had so much more to love than hate. Ryan Reynolds did a near-perfect Hal Jordan and Strong did a perfect Sinestro. The CGI was kinda cartoony but its supposed to be so I didn't mind. I did not watch it in 3-D (cuz I hate 3-D), but the 2-D visuals looked beautiful. I really don't see why this movie got all the hate that it has other than that I think people were expecting a sci-fi Dark Knight and got Green Lantern. I would put it on par with the first Spider-man and X-men movies. So just go in with an open mind and have fun. Also, this is a good movie for kids cuz its no more violent than Star Wars but it may be a little scarier.

A worthy origin story and a fine beginning to the series

Author: TarantulasPrime from United States
18 June 2011

As a longtime fan of the Green Lantern stories, I hoped that the promise of the writers to respect the story line was not just something said to placate the fans. They weren't lying, and they didn't screw it up. The movie is a retelling of the standard Hal Jordan origin story which has been told so many times before. First we establish Hal as a skilled pilot, always in trouble for not following established procedures. He is summoned against his will to a crash site where he is given a technological (NOT "mystical") power ring by a dying alien. Soon after that, he is summoned to planet Oa, where he meets fantastic aliens and is trained to be a Green Lantern. At first, the other Lanterns doubt his skill and commitment, but his tendency to "think outside the box" allows him to defeat a powerful enemy and win the admiration of the entire Corps. This same story has been told in slightly different ways in the comics, on TV, in animated films, and now in a live action movie. And the movie did not disappoint.

Ryan Reynolds was excellent as Hal Jordan. In interviews prior to the movie, he said that he understood the importance of respecting a character that has been loved for more than fifty years by millions of fans worldwide. That respect came through loud and clear in his portrayal of Hal. Mark Strong as Sinestro was a joy to behold. He did a masterful job of acting, making the character totally believable. Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond was wonderfully wacky, bone-chillingly evil when combined with Parallax, and I wish he could return somehow for another engagement. When a killer laughs while doing evil deeds, he takes the audience completely out of their comfort zone. Very nicely done, sir. Blake Lively was good as Carol Ferris, although she didn't seem to have much to do. And that's not a bad thing, since the movie was mostly about Hal and the Corps. I'm sure we will be seeing more of the lady code-named "Sapphire" in future movies. She was given a great line at a point where Hal expressed doubts about his ability to be a Lantern due to his fear. She said that it's not about being without fear, it's about overcoming fear, and Hal was good at that. It's what a power ring always says to a Green Lantern candidate, "Hal Jordan of Earth, you have the ability to overcome great fear. Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."

Speaking of the ring, that is one of the few minor criticisms of the movie. The power ring, although not alive, can speak to the ringbearer. It can report the percent of its power remaining, warn the ringbearer of approaching danger, or provide the results of a scan. Maybe Hal didn't have enough training to bond with his ring telepathically, because all it seemed to do was produce a vibration sound like a pager. The ring has a voice. We want to hear it speak. Another quibble about the portrayal of the ring is that normally a ringbearer in space will be surrounded by a force field. In the comics and cartoons this is usually shown as being right next to the ringbearer's skin. In the movie it was shown as a dispersed electrical field around the ringbearer, but in the final scene in space, four Lanterns are shown hovering with no shield at all. Maybe this was just a continuity error, but they would not have been able to breathe without the ring's help. The final small nit-pick is about the theme song. There wasn't one. I wanted to hear a stirring and heroic Green Lantern Theme that would stick in my mind enough that I would be humming it on the way out of the theater. But instead of that, there was generic orchestra music. Think Superman and Superman Returns, or Star Wars, or even Ghostbusters. The Green Lantern Corps needs a theme song.

Now for the kudos. There were early complaints that the fans wanted to see the trademark Green Lantern uniform, with black sleeves and pants legs, green boots and body suit, and white gloves, and that an all green uniform didn't look right. But since the uniform is created by the power ring, it makes sense that it would not be static like a uniform made of dead cloth, but instead would be pulsating with power. The chest symbol was lighted (and Abin Sur's light went out when he died), and when Hal used his ring, the power was shown to be flowing from the chest symbol down his arm to the ring. The uniform works. The special effects and CGI were excellent. Some of the flight scenes reminded me of flying around Second Life as a Lantern. This could have been a great disappointment, but instead it was a joy to behold. And by all means, watch the movie in 3D. Unlike Avatar, where only a few of the scenes were in 3D, every scene in this movie has a 3D aspect to it. The opening scene all by itself has a jaw-dropping effect, and is enough to rivet the audience's attention. At times, there was almost too much action going on, like the scene at the party where people are running and screaming and Hal is using his power ring to protect everyone. It appeared to me that some partygoers were squashed, but they weren't. That scene will need to be watched again when the DVD comes out.

The few minor quibbles only slightly detract from an excellent Hal Jordan origin story. I hope the Green Lantern franchise makes a billion dollars and a hundred sequels. It's the finest comic book character around, and a great role model for kids.

Le Sigh

Author: moviedoors from United States
17 June 2011

The Good:

Ryan Reynolds- he really did give it his all and sold it as best he could. His sincerity was undeniable and he deserves most of the credit for what works in the movie. He succeeded were plenty of others would've fallen flat on their faces.

Peter Sarsgaard- not a great performance, but he was chewing the hell out of the scenery and having a blast doing it. I love that piercing scream he does.

The creature and Corp design work- The suits look great. They don't look phony at all on Reynolds. I love the bright colors. I was surprised how much I liked the look and presence of Parallax. Especially good sound work on him. There were some neat looking aliens tucked away in the corners.

The Bad:

The script- lazy, lazy, lazy. It's boiling over with clunky exposition. Who these characters were was shoehorned in in a very shoddy manner. Hal's flashback at the beginning to his father's death was the height of plot convenience. Hal and Hector having a past is pretty much non existent. They don't share any scenes together until what seemed like an hour in and their interaction basically amounts to them bumping into each other and going "Oh, hey. What's up?" And speaking of Hector, I have no idea who this guy was. He's infected pretty much immediately after we meet. Am I supposed to like him? see his flaws? see how he could be susceptible to fear? I don't know! Near the end, Sinestro describes Hal as brash and opinionated "just like Abin-Sur." Would have been nice to have actually see that quality in Abin instead of just being told at the end.

Actors in nothing roles- Tim Robbins and Angela Bassett do nothing of note playing cardboard characters with nothing to do but further the plot and add some cred to the cast. I'm not overly familiar with Blake Lively and I left with basically no impression of her. I won't blame her as she had essentially nothing to work with.

The Corp- Speaking of doing nothing, the Corp and the Guardians do nothing either. This is all tell and no show. Tomar-Re is Basil Exposition, Kilowag trains Hal for what seemed like 2 minutes and then more or less vanished, the Guardians sit on their thrones making bizarre, head scratching decisions and they have a serious case of the CG rubber lips. I started to perk up when Sinestro led a small regiment of Lanterns to fight Parallax, but it's a 30 second non- fight with one projection, 5 seconds of zipping around, and then Sinestro looking shocked after characters we "met" in 2 second cut-aways are dispatched with ridiculous ease by Parallax.

Oa- one of the biggest let downs for me. If you've seen the trailers, you've pretty much seen all this movie has to offer with this world. Some rocks, a purple sky, and Lanterns standing around doing, you guessed it, nothing. Asgard was a far more visually interesting place and forget about it even coming near Pandora.

The rest of the people on Earth- After Green Lantern makes his first appearance, there's a shocking lack of attention. There's a news report in the background of one scene "going who was this hero who saved the day?" as if that's the big story, and not a mention of, gee, I don't know, all the crazy energy constructs he created!

The credit cookie- Not earned in the slightest. The reason Sinestro puts on that yellow ring had zero to do with what was established throughout the entire rest of the movie (and for what it's worth, Sinestro works well with his small amount of screen time and Mark Strong brings as much gravity as his humanely possible to the role). This was nothing but cheap fan service and teeth grating plot contrivance.

Thor was a much more entertaining ride, and I thought Thor was merely good. Forget about it even coming close to Iron Man, Superman, Watchmen, or Nolan's Batmans. But, is it terrible? No. I'll watch this again before I go near Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, or Kick-Ass again. By a long shot. It didn't suck, but I just can't say I liked it either and I wanted to so bad. Big disappointment.

Green Lantern Review (may contain spoilers)

Author: jeffreydearman from United States
16 June 2011

For a superhero that can create anything he can imagine with his mind, the Green Lantern's creative team failed to create good characters, villains, special effects, or an overall enjoyable experience worth 11 dollars.

The movie starts off well enough with exciting action in space, where we meet a villain capable of absorbing entire planets (which comes across as a space version of the kraken used in Pirates of the Caribbean 2- not a good thing). Upon being injured, the greatest of all the Lanterns crash lands on Earth to begin the search for his successor. After searching what seems to be 4 square miles, the ring chooses the cocky and brash Hal Jordan. He's sucked up in a manner similar to the game Super Monkey Ball, and finds himself on the other side of town, and there before him is a spaceship. After an interaction of less than 30 seconds, the alien Abin Sur dies, leaving Hal wondering what to do next, and unfortunately much of the fun dies after this point.

After a bar brawl, Hal is whisked away to the beautiful planet Oa. For how much detail, design and money they put into this planet that holds all of the Lanterns, they spend all of 16 minutes on it. And of those 16 minutes, 10 is spent talking to knock-off Yodas about pointless stories and how they don't feel fear.

In a segment that feels very much like a video game intro to a game where they ask "is it OK the way you look up and down?" he learns to fly by simply falling off a ledge and just knowing how to, and why wouldn't he know how to fly? Considering he's had these powers all his life… except he hasn't.

At this moment the film feels like it's finally going to pick up, but it doesn't. He learns to "imagine" by getting the crap kicked out of him by a Lantern voiced by Michael Clark Duncan. After all of two minutes he has mastered the art of creating indestructible things with his mind. And after all of this build up he quits and goes back to earth after his feelings are hurt. I wish I was kidding.

Here, a character enters the movie for no reason whatsoever. A scientist named Hector Hamond- or what you will eventually know him as: that guy who shrieks and screams every time he so much as stubs his toe- is charged with examining Abin Sur's dead alien body by a secret government organization. After examining the alien body he begins to change into a "mad scientist". All the large head make up and special effects in the world couldn't make him either scary or believable as a villain. After this point every time someone so much as forgets the ranch he ordered with his fries he makes bad things happen to people. They even go as far as giving him the disappointed-in-his-son father-figure. Even though his dad got him the job to examine the alien and a promotion, he still hates him.

Enter Hals love interest, or what I like to call her, "attractive girl who stands around and looks pretty." Clearly taking acting notes from Natalie Portman's character in Thor, she is there and looks nice but doesn't really do anything important to the plot or to the movie itself. She and Hal have one good scene of chemistry, but other than that it's just scene after scene of her in tighter and tighter dresses.

Hals "best friend character" does nothing more than pick him up one time and then say "cool" when Hal shows him the Lantern suit. That's literally all he does. There isn't that helping the hero out as best he can in the end, or anything else to add. All of these distractions and pointless characters begin to add up in an origin story of a superhero with a running time of an hour and forty five minutes.

The music… I found myself feeling that much of the music could easily have been lifted from any episode of 7th Heaven at times. During the action there wasn't any swell of excitement that music should add to a film. In fact it goes unnoticed for much of the movie, never creating a Green Lantern theme; no anthem for the DC hero. Just the most stock music you will hear this summer. The one bright spot in this otherwise dim movie was the character Sinestro played by actor Mark Strong. His scenes were the more enjoyable to watch, and yet in the end his character stays in the wings for the entire movie.

Bottom line The Green Lantern is a movie that starts off promising, but ends leaving the viewer with very little interest in a sequel, or in the hero in general. With poor characters, video game-like special effects, and a very anti-climactic finale, the Green Lantern offers very little compared to the already great movies released this summer. Throughout the movie the Lanterns stress the fact that they do not feel fear, but unless this movie has a monster opening weekend, the execs that green-lit this 300 million dollar movie might just be fearing for their jobs.