IMDb > Green Lantern (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Lantern

Green Lantern More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 56: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Awesome!

Author: VoorheesDalek from United Kingdom
20 June 2011

The critics can go to hell. There's no way this film deserved the slagging off it got from the critics. It was fun, it was exciting and I was damn proud to see Hal up on screen, Ryan Reynolds did a great job of playing GL and Mark Strong was even better as Sinestro. Hector Hammond was suitably creepy and Parallax, whilst completely different from the comics, was nicely translated to the screen. The cgi Is nowhere near as bad as people make out, Tomar Re and Kilowog being prime examples, although the Guardians did look a tad ropey, however- but that's a small problem THAT CAN BE SOLVED IN THE SEQUEL. I must have blinked and missed the John Stewart/Guy Gardner cameos, but not the extra bit at the end of the first set of credits. If you're wondering whether or not to go and see this, ignore the critics and make up your own mind. It was brilliant. Now, a sequel please. Featuring that OTHER corps...

A very well done Green Lantern movie, even if it's not a classic.

Author: jasonmberk from United States
18 June 2011

This movie was very enjoyable. It provided a faithful adaptation of the Hal Jordan Green Lantern comic book character and other characters from the comics. The plot was appropriate for a Green Lantern story. The visuals were stunning and there were plenty of scenes with little or no effects or CGI. I particularly liked how Hal Jordan's character was portrayed and developed, as I felt it was unique for a superhero character. Here we have a guy who is NOT Superman, i.e. gifted with an enormous array of superpowers, nor do we have Batman, who is a trained professional. In this film, we have a superhero who's greatest strength by far is himself, especially his will. That is what drives the character through challenges and to victory by the end of the film, not superpowers alone, not fancy gadgets, not elaborate fighting skills, just who he is and believing in himself and in winning. I like it! Not an original concept perhaps, but as far as mythology goes, this movie tells a great tale and gives us another great hero's journey, one that occurs as changes from within, not just changes physically. Go see this film if you like superheros or if you want to be inspired to have courage and believe in yourself a little more. Don't listen to the critics. This is not a one star movie. It does not suck. As I said, it is not a classic film, but it is very good and worth seeing. My only real issue is that the dramatic elements were a bit too long, although a condensed version of the drama would still be entirely necessary. Also, a superhero who's greatest power is believing in himself and in success takes some getting used to compared to a dude who just has amazing powers or fights like Batman. Anyways, enjoy!

Maybe not the worst movie out there, but cutting it close!

Author: magnusoi from Norway
31 October 2011

Ryan Reynolds as an all-American superhero could've worked if it wasn't for the terrible script and useless attempts to charm the audience with goofy humor and stereotype lines. If you're really into the comics world, you might give this movie a chance... otherwise, STAY CLEAR! It's not worth spending 150 minutes of your time on such utter crap. The acting is not the worst, but the storyline and all the cliché makes it hard to watch. You'll find yourself waiting for the end, or wanting to fall asleep. It might just make "the worst movie of the year". A total disappointment for any superhero-movie-lover, and especially for those who don't even love this genre.

What A Nice Surprise

Author: stormhappy106 from United States
3 January 2015

I avoided this film for for a long time because I thought that many didn't like it(a la Daredevil)but was I wrong to avoid it! I loved this movie and have now seen it many times.

I barely remember reading Green Lantern as a kid, but who cares, this was a fun, exciting and impressive movie.

Ryan Reynolds was perfect as Hal Jordan, and everyone else was fine also.

Special Effects were top-notch.

The film still made an impressive $116 million domestically, which shows that many people ignored the ignorant critics.

Parallax was a superb creation.

I intend to see this film many more times in the future.

I don't get all the fuss.

Author: grenosblackos from Switzerland
4 October 2011

I saw this movie yesterday, and i'll admit i expected more, but what CAN you expect from a superhero movie?. The special effects were great, but where one of the reasons why it flopped.300 million for a budget is just too much. Also, for once the girl actually noticed who green lantern's secret identity was, not like other superhero movies. Owa was great, Peter skasgaard was good, and scary, John hurt was mind-blowingly good as always, as for Ryan Reynolds, he doesn't make a bad GL. Sorry, this is a short review, and my first, so sorry. But since this IMDb restriction of 10 lines is just annoying, i will continue. Martin Campbell good have done a better job on this, for sure,(look at casino Royal and this, and i think you will get my point), but i think he did just fine. Oh, the plot was better than the average GL comic (i read some really awful ones). 10 lines yet? I guess not...

Excellent

Author: tamarenne from France
23 July 2011

I'm not sure why so many people disliked this movie. Perhaps I like it so much precisely because I came to it with VERY low expectations. In general, superhero movies leave me cold. But this one was better than most and Ryan Reynolds was charming in his role.

I thought it was as good if not better than x-men and MUCH better than Thor, which was terrible.

I loved that when people who knew Green Lantern IRL met him, they RECOGNIZED him, because that has always bugged me about superheroes. Take a massively built 6 foot 4 guy, with distinctive bone structure and eyes, and just pop on a pair of glases, or a cowl, and suddenly nobody knows who it is? Thank god this movie avoided that.

Also I loved the look of the myriad races as they appeared on Oa, very cool.

Great flick, and it's too bad there most likely won't be a sequel now.

Brightest Day, Darkest Night

Author: jpach34 from United States
25 June 2011

'In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight. Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might Beware My Power -- Green Lantern's Might.' – The motto that has the Summer of 2011 talking about. What is it about evil that it can be nothing but good? I can only guess two words – pure evil. The bright part, I didn't expect it to be green, I expected it to be white. But what do I know. I do know that this movie has surpassed the other super-hero movie: Thor by a landslide. Ryan Reynolds – yes sir – you talk about doing the green suit justice. The radar has been lifted, and it can never be down thanks to this great actor.

This movie was in one sense of the word –INCREDIBLE!!!! I loved it. Kudos goes to the director Martin Campbell. There was something that stuck out to me in this movie and that was you can't be afraid to take on the responsibility to embrace what you need to become but embrace the thing that you want most of all – not to fear.

Green means stop!

Author: maddog-50 from Belgium
20 June 2011

Don't listen to the negative remarks. This is a great movie. This movie is even awesome! There is so much CGI right from the beginning, that you might wonder if there was any camera on the set. Reynolds looks awesome in his CGI suit and you might imagine that he had to be bare-naked while filming all the motion capture stuff in front of a blue screen (or maybe it was a green screen). WOW!

But this little green eye mask piece which looks like he's coming just from stage of Johann Strauss opera "a night in Venice", makes him the sexiest superhero ever. The CGI of parallax looks like its done with some particle FX by Andrew Kramer in an 30 min. After Effects tutorial. But parallax is such an a*hole, he does not deserve better CGI so that our hero can shine here too. And he is so cool.

Instead of generating some superior weapons like rockets or so with his ring, he makes a WW2 antiaircraft gun, throws a fuel tanker at parallax and blows the tanker with the gun...W.O.W. And there is a lot of "wouldn't it be cool if" stuff going on in this movie! For instance, parallax has teeth, but not the teeth of T-Rex or so, no, he has the teeth of a plant eater. And this already gives a hint why this s.o.a.b. is so dangerous: he likes green stuff most.

Now, I may seem to be giving this movie a hard time, but I enjoyed it. I like this kind of mindless CGI trash. The goofiest superhero movie of the year. Awesome!

The "Iron Man" of DC Entertainment!!!

Author: James Simms from United States
21 September 2011

Just came back from the theater and now I'm going to give my two cents on it... After reading the negative reviews that were posted by the mainstream critics (If I should dare call them critics) I actually had my worries but I decided to stick to my guns and go forward with what my opinions were going to be and to my surprise everything turn out exactly as I predicted... And that was the critics were wrong!!! Possibly exaggerated!

The film was as good as it's worth and actually lived up to the trailers and hype that eventually lead the film up to. Of course it did had it's flaws aleast just a few but could easily be over looked and one of the flaws was that it was abit grounded in which I don't find that a bad thing since I for one was expecting it to be since this meant to be the first among many films to come. It's understandable that viewers and fans were expecting a more space opera like theme but I believe we might get more of that in sequels since thats what there for! I for one started enjoying it as the film goes on till I finally come the conclusion that after the end of the movie that I had three words lurking in my head and those words were... I, LIKE, IT!!! The Good: Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan, the visuals, the action, the other Lanterns (Abin Sur, Tomar-Re, Kilawog & Sinestro), Hector Hammond & Parallax and the forge of the yellow power ring.

The Flaws: It's slightly grounded, not much screen time for the other Lanterns especially against Parallax and short of a space opera like theme. This is one film that even hardcore fans would & should enjoy and appreciate for what it's worth and the execs of the WB should be patting themselves in the back for actually taking the time from keeping their heads inside their asses to actually taking them out and do what they should have done in the first place and that is giving other DC heroes (Aside from Superman & Batman) their chance to shine on the silver screen and hope the same can be done for other DC heroes to come!

A Classic Comic to Movie

Author: icurhuman2 from Australia
25 March 2013

I'm surprised by the average score this movie has gotten and so I must add to its legend in the hope that they do a follow up one day. I've watched it five times now - once at the theater, once as a hired DVD, and three times from the bought DVD. If you are a connoisseur of sci-fi and comic-to-movie this definitely belongs in the collection. I'd have given it a ten but I never give a ten to anything... Bought the original comic when it first came out (that's how old I am)and wish my mother didn't throw out my whole collection of original first editions, two suitcases worth (forty years ago)... I'd be worth a lot more than I am now if she hadn't.... If you haven't seen this one I strongly suggest you do!