IMDb > Green Lantern (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Lantern

Green Lantern More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 57: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Critics are the sole reason for this movie not doing well

Author: sasaiscoming from India
26 June 2011

the movie is great...............i have seen almost every movie , you name it,not just super hero flicks and i can say for sure this movie still feels a fun filled ride with something new to offer in CGI aspect...........i don't understand what people are complaining about , it's a superhero movie for heaven's sake , the hero is supposed to win.......what's cliché about it ? please don't listen to critics and some sheeps who feel criticising everything makes them a superior voice............shame on them, they are the very reason that such a worthy movie is being discarded without even being given a try . GO WATCH THIS MOVIE...............if u don't want to miss on something just because others said so .

Maybe not the worst movie out there, but cutting it close!

Author: magnusoi from Norway
31 October 2011

Ryan Reynolds as an all-American superhero could've worked if it wasn't for the terrible script and useless attempts to charm the audience with goofy humor and stereotype lines. If you're really into the comics world, you might give this movie a chance... otherwise, STAY CLEAR! It's not worth spending 150 minutes of your time on such utter crap. The acting is not the worst, but the storyline and all the cliché makes it hard to watch. You'll find yourself waiting for the end, or wanting to fall asleep. It might just make "the worst movie of the year". A total disappointment for any superhero-movie-lover, and especially for those who don't even love this genre.

A Subpar Movie...

Author: stevenscottjones from United States
18 June 2011

First I should say that I'm a fan of Green Lantern and he's (Hal Jordan) my favorite DC character. Here's why I thought this movie was subpar: 1. Ryan Reynolds was a horrible Hal Jordan. Before I saw the movie I thought this was a poor casting choice but thought he could potentially pull it off a la Michael Keaton/Batman. Unfortunately he did not pull it off. Ryan Reynolds is a comedic actor and that's how he portrayed Hal Jordan who if you read the comic book is not a "jokester" at all. It almost felt like Hal Jordan was Peter Parker 2. The origin of the Green Lantern character took way to long to develop. The two thirds of the movie was very boring.

3. Wrong choice of villains. Hector Hammond?!? Really?!? They couldn't come of with a better villain than Hector Hammond?!? I know that it was almost impossible to use Sinestro as the villain in the first movie as it would have taken too long to tell GL's origin and why Sinestro went bad all in one movie then have Sinestro be the final fight at the end...the movie would have felt rushed but instead of Parallax and Hector Hammond they could have went with Atrocitus (who they killed Abin Sur in the revised Origin of GL) or even the Manhunters who were the reason why the Guardians created the GL Corps in the first place. Anything would have been better than Hector Hammond and Parallax.

4. The special effects were garbage. As in the 1st Superman movie with Christopher Reeves, I DID NOT believe that a man could fly when I watched Green Lantern. The flying sequences looked very cheesy as well as the constructs that the GL's created. Also every scene had a CGI feel to it especially GL's body. It looked like they pasted Ryan Reynolds live head onto a CGI body...AWFUL!!! 5. The ending was the worst ending I've ever seen in a movie. I mean seriously...just toss Parallax into the sun...I mean Sinestro or the Guardians couldn't have thought of that?!? How did Hal Jordan know that that would kill him??? 6. Parallax looked like a joke...a big Giant head...really?!? That's the best that they could come up with...AWFUL!!! 7. Green Lantern went to Oa to learn how to be a Green Lantern. He quits before he's even had one day of training and goes back to Earth where somehow he's able to master the use of his power ring...really?!? I mean come on...Parallax defeats and kills one of the best Green Lanterns, Abin Sur (per Sinestro)and defeats Sinestro and about 7 other Green Lanterns but somehow with not even a full day's worth of training, Hal Jordan is able to defeat Parallax. Makes no sense.

With all of the above being said, the movie had one bright spot which was Sinestro. He was PERFECTLY cast (a la Heath Ledger/Joker). Unfortunately we didn't get to see enough of him.

" There is a great power which fears only the Power of my Ring "

Author: thinker1691 from USA
20 December 2012

In 1938, comic Imigination arrived at Dectective Comics with the Introducted of the Dark Knight also called The Batman. Before long a plethora of others soon followed, among them was the mysterious " Green Lantern. " Hal Jordan AKA Green Lantern are both played by Ryan Reynold. The story reaches back to the 20th century and the space age. Here we find our hero and his special selection by a celestial being who reaches into his chosen's human heart to learn that he possesses true Courage and no fear. That, then is the primary ingredient for his selection and the gist of the legend. Once you enter the myth of the Green Lantern, you also enter the vast din of the Universe and it's mystical powers, where beings from other planets are collected to fight their Nemesis, . . . Fear. This film does it's best to take our Hero and the audience to their world and the battlefield of the Universe. It's a fabulous journey and one which is responsible for the enjoyment of the cinema, A great slice of DC comics transformed into the stuff of imagination and the world of Entertainment. Recommended to all. ****

Movies are for enjoyment. The Critics were kind of harsh, This isn't batman people! It's harder to pull off

Author: jesusjr-rodrig
7 December 2012

I enjoyed this movie, it was not bad, and despite all the criticism I really liked it. If you go in giving it a chance and just looking to enjoy it, you just might. It's a bit harder to get into than the usual hero movies, but other than that the only fault might be that it was a bit ambitious. It's kind of a strange story for those not familiar with green lantern , but give it a shot.

First of all I am not the worlds most hardcore green lantern fan, but I do love heroes, and green lantern is an awesome one. It's to bad though that green lantern is not quite as iconic outside of the world of big comic book and hero fans. I think that was the first problem with this movie. People know and love heroes like batman and spider man, but they are huge and easily recognizable icons outside the comic book world too. So this might make it hard for this movie to be so successful. then there's the fact that this was never going to be quite as easy to pull off as other movies. Hal Jordan is not bitten by a crazy bug, he's not a troubled vigilante, and he is not just some rich guy heroing for the hell of it in a really expensive suit. What's my point? The point is This is not your usual simple story of some Joe gaining super powers. Possible Spoiler! This is the story of Hal Jordan who gains powers from a ring that shows him a whole new huge alien world and a universal police corps. Obviously that is not your typical hero movie. It is not easy to do, and there is still a lot more packed into this story than that.

Iron man had an easier time because it was an easier story to understand for audiences, maybe it was easier to put on the big screen, in comparison to green lantern anyway. To recap this was a certainly a cool project that got the fans hyped, but not everyone who goes berserk over spidey, bats or Mr. stark. It's a crazy, awesome story, but it might be hard for newcomer to understand. lastly it is ambitious in that it tries to pack a lot of good stuff into a limited time space. That is my only complaint. The CGI was decent, and I liked the costume, if you know the story the choice makes sense. Critics are, as their name implies, people looking to criticize. sometimes, unjustly, over the top, and sadistically even. To be fair not all of them are unfair, I enjoy Roger Ebert's reviews, but the point is to just try and enjoy the movie.

Better than expected

Author: m-d-bolik from Dundee, United Kingdom
4 December 2011

I didn't go to see this when it was released because some reviews were so negative. So I have just watched it on DVD. It was actually a very good film - and I thought it was well paced and enjoyable to watch. Of course there are flaws - but it was better than recent DC superhero outings, such as Bryan Singer's Superman or even the Dark Knight. I have to say, as a youngster, I was always more interested in DC comics than Marvel ones. And I have always felt that the Green Lantern would lend itself well to the big screen. This was really a very good film and unfairly criticised. As I mentioned there are flaws but these can be forgiven because of the movie's spirit - and also, as some have already mentioned - because it doesn't take itself as seriously as other superhero flicks.

So - ultimately - we trust the major reviewers - but it seems they can get it wrong. And now I am sorry I didn't see this in a movie theatre.

A Great DC Comic Adaptation

Author: slayerjmk95 from United States
19 July 2011

Green Lantern is, without a doubt, one of the greatest comic book series of all time, with great creativity and originality filling the pages of the comics. Now, a live-action film has been released and it truly captures that creativity. The film is centered around the character of Hal Jordan, a pilot who fears failure since his father's death, who crashed after a malfunction in his plane's engine. Hal is chosen to join a galactic peace-keeper force known as the Green Lantern Corp, after one of its finest members was killed; Abin-Sur. But to be a Lantern one must be without fear, and Hal believes the ring made a mistake in choosing him, as he is afraid of his destiny.

Many people have said that Ryan Reynolds was a bad choice for Hal Jordan, but he truly wasn't; he captured Hal's fear, courage, and cocky attitude perfectly. Plus, Martin Campbell was a great choice as the director (but Zack Snyder would have been a good choice too). He knew when to have action and when to give detailed story. Another thing, everyone is complaining about 'too much' CGI, but the thing is; how do you re-create a sci-fi story into a movie where a galactic "police force" travels the universe to protect its inhabitants from true evil? You have to use a lot of CGI to capture the sci-fi settings and creatures that are part of the story as well, because even robotics can't cover it all. But overall, Green Lantern is a great origin story, building up the story of the Green Lanterns and Hal Jordan's destiny to become a Lantern as well. Don't miss this incredible comic-adaptation 9/10 Stars***

A real show

Author: (otto_schitburger@yahoo.com) from Düssledork
6 January 2012

Nice, strange and new. Ironic image of super heroes and interesting metamorphose of evil. Few slices of love story and an adorable character. Green,intelligent, childish and fragile, with an unhappy childhood, Hal Jordan is perfect icon of our time. Behind him, rock-star Green Lantern, a kind of Elvis Presley or bored Charming Prince.Few fight scenes,a museum inauguration, a surprising victory and question of life sense.A Frankenstein creature. The error. In final, the clothes of Charming are perfect for new hero of town. Movie ad usum delphini, like every cartoon, tale about values and entertainment,Green Lantern is more. Game with rules and reflection of few ordinary crisis. Modelation of old definitions and replacement of marginal character. And birth of a very different hero far from any Superman or Batman but relative of their. It is not insignificant fact !

A Hero Is Born

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 October 2011

The Guardians of the Universe have divided the Universe into 3,600 Space Sectors, each one protected by one powerful Green Lantern, selected among fearless beings and with superpowers supplied by a ring fed by the willpower from the planet Oa. When the evil force Parallax that is fed by fear destroys several Green Lanterns, the member Abin Sur (Temuera Morrison) flees in his spacecraft but crashes on Earth. Deadly wounded, his green ring seeks out a successor for him and finds the reckless but efficient test pilot Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds). Hal Jordan learns about the Green Lanterns and is bestowed with the powers of the ring. Meanwhile the scientist Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard) is summoned to make an autopsy of Abin Sur and is possessed by Parallax.

Hal Jordan is insecure about his fears and uses his powers for the first time in a party to save the life of people from a Ferris Aircraft helicopter damaged by Hector and later he discloses his identity to his former colleague Carol Ferris (Blake Lively), who is the beautiful daughter of Carl Ferris (Jay O. Sanders) and his love. When Parallax threatens Earth, the Green Lantern Hal Jordan is the last hope to defend his planet from destruction.

"Green Lantern" tells the story of how Hal Jordan becomes the Green Lantern. I am not a follower of this hero and I had a slight idea about his origin. The story is entertaining and Ryan Reynolds has a good performance in the role of a hero. Peter Sarsgaard is a weak villain, but the gorgeous Blake Lively has grown-up from "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and has a good performance in the role of Carol Ferris. The cast has Tim Robbins and Angela Bassett in supporting roles and the film is nor bad as mentioned in many reviews. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Lanterna Verde" ("Green Lantern")

Awesome!

Author: VoorheesDalek from United Kingdom
20 June 2011

The critics can go to hell. There's no way this film deserved the slagging off it got from the critics. It was fun, it was exciting and I was damn proud to see Hal up on screen, Ryan Reynolds did a great job of playing GL and Mark Strong was even better as Sinestro. Hector Hammond was suitably creepy and Parallax, whilst completely different from the comics, was nicely translated to the screen. The cgi Is nowhere near as bad as people make out, Tomar Re and Kilowog being prime examples, although the Guardians did look a tad ropey, however- but that's a small problem THAT CAN BE SOLVED IN THE SEQUEL. I must have blinked and missed the John Stewart/Guy Gardner cameos, but not the extra bit at the end of the first set of credits. If you're wondering whether or not to go and see this, ignore the critics and make up your own mind. It was brilliant. Now, a sequel please. Featuring that OTHER corps...