IMDb > Green Lantern (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Lantern

Green Lantern More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 54: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A Hero Is Born

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 October 2011

The Guardians of the Universe have divided the Universe into 3,600 Space Sectors, each one protected by one powerful Green Lantern, selected among fearless beings and with superpowers supplied by a ring fed by the willpower from the planet Oa. When the evil force Parallax that is fed by fear destroys several Green Lanterns, the member Abin Sur (Temuera Morrison) flees in his spacecraft but crashes on Earth. Deadly wounded, his green ring seeks out a successor for him and finds the reckless but efficient test pilot Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds). Hal Jordan learns about the Green Lanterns and is bestowed with the powers of the ring. Meanwhile the scientist Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard) is summoned to make an autopsy of Abin Sur and is possessed by Parallax.

Hal Jordan is insecure about his fears and uses his powers for the first time in a party to save the life of people from a Ferris Aircraft helicopter damaged by Hector and later he discloses his identity to his former colleague Carol Ferris (Blake Lively), who is the beautiful daughter of Carl Ferris (Jay O. Sanders) and his love. When Parallax threatens Earth, the Green Lantern Hal Jordan is the last hope to defend his planet from destruction.

"Green Lantern" tells the story of how Hal Jordan becomes the Green Lantern. I am not a follower of this hero and I had a slight idea about his origin. The story is entertaining and Ryan Reynolds has a good performance in the role of a hero. Peter Sarsgaard is a weak villain, but the gorgeous Blake Lively has grown-up from "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and has a good performance in the role of Carol Ferris. The cast has Tim Robbins and Angela Bassett in supporting roles and the film is nor bad as mentioned in many reviews. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Lanterna Verde" ("Green Lantern")

A Likable Comic Book Movie

Author: ladymidath (ladymidath@gmail.com) from Australia
26 May 2012

I know a lot of people didn't like Green Lantern but I don't know why. It was a fun movie with a good solid lead in Ryan Reynolds. It was not as dark as The Dark Knight or V For Vendetta but that is not the nature of Green Lantern. The special effects were good and the casting was fine. Tim Robbins was well cast as Hammond as was Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond. Kudos to Mark Strong as Sinestro. I do hope they do a sequel with him as Sinestro was one of my favourite villains. All up it was a solid film and one I enjoyed immensely. Pity some people were disappointed but to be honest, I don't know what they were expecting as the film stayed reasonably true to the character and the tone of the comic books.

I don't get all the fuss.

Author: grenosblackos from Switzerland
4 October 2011

I saw this movie yesterday, and i'll admit i expected more, but what CAN you expect from a superhero movie?. The special effects were great, but where one of the reasons why it flopped.300 million for a budget is just too much. Also, for once the girl actually noticed who green lantern's secret identity was, not like other superhero movies. Owa was great, Peter skasgaard was good, and scary, John hurt was mind-blowingly good as always, as for Ryan Reynolds, he doesn't make a bad GL. Sorry, this is a short review, and my first, so sorry. But since this IMDb restriction of 10 lines is just annoying, i will continue. Martin Campbell good have done a better job on this, for sure,(look at casino Royal and this, and i think you will get my point), but i think he did just fine. Oh, the plot was better than the average GL comic (i read some really awful ones). 10 lines yet? I guess not...

A real show

Author: (otto_schitburger@yahoo.com) from Düssledork
6 January 2012

Nice, strange and new. Ironic image of super heroes and interesting metamorphose of evil. Few slices of love story and an adorable character. Green,intelligent, childish and fragile, with an unhappy childhood, Hal Jordan is perfect icon of our time. Behind him, rock-star Green Lantern, a kind of Elvis Presley or bored Charming Prince.Few fight scenes,a museum inauguration, a surprising victory and question of life sense.A Frankenstein creature. The error. In final, the clothes of Charming are perfect for new hero of town. Movie ad usum delphini, like every cartoon, tale about values and entertainment,Green Lantern is more. Game with rules and reflection of few ordinary crisis. Modelation of old definitions and replacement of marginal character. And birth of a very different hero far from any Superman or Batman but relative of their. It is not insignificant fact !

A very well done Green Lantern movie, even if it's not a classic.

Author: jasonmberk from United States
18 June 2011

This movie was very enjoyable. It provided a faithful adaptation of the Hal Jordan Green Lantern comic book character and other characters from the comics. The plot was appropriate for a Green Lantern story. The visuals were stunning and there were plenty of scenes with little or no effects or CGI. I particularly liked how Hal Jordan's character was portrayed and developed, as I felt it was unique for a superhero character. Here we have a guy who is NOT Superman, i.e. gifted with an enormous array of superpowers, nor do we have Batman, who is a trained professional. In this film, we have a superhero who's greatest strength by far is himself, especially his will. That is what drives the character through challenges and to victory by the end of the film, not superpowers alone, not fancy gadgets, not elaborate fighting skills, just who he is and believing in himself and in winning. I like it! Not an original concept perhaps, but as far as mythology goes, this movie tells a great tale and gives us another great hero's journey, one that occurs as changes from within, not just changes physically. Go see this film if you like superheros or if you want to be inspired to have courage and believe in yourself a little more. Don't listen to the critics. This is not a one star movie. It does not suck. As I said, it is not a classic film, but it is very good and worth seeing. My only real issue is that the dramatic elements were a bit too long, although a condensed version of the drama would still be entirely necessary. Also, a superhero who's greatest power is believing in himself and in success takes some getting used to compared to a dude who just has amazing powers or fights like Batman. Anyways, enjoy!

Green means stop!

Author: maddog-50 from Belgium
20 June 2011

Don't listen to the negative remarks. This is a great movie. This movie is even awesome! There is so much CGI right from the beginning, that you might wonder if there was any camera on the set. Reynolds looks awesome in his CGI suit and you might imagine that he had to be bare-naked while filming all the motion capture stuff in front of a blue screen (or maybe it was a green screen). WOW!

But this little green eye mask piece which looks like he's coming just from stage of Johann Strauss opera "a night in Venice", makes him the sexiest superhero ever. The CGI of parallax looks like its done with some particle FX by Andrew Kramer in an 30 min. After Effects tutorial. But parallax is such an a*hole, he does not deserve better CGI so that our hero can shine here too. And he is so cool.

Instead of generating some superior weapons like rockets or so with his ring, he makes a WW2 antiaircraft gun, throws a fuel tanker at parallax and blows the tanker with the gun...W.O.W. And there is a lot of "wouldn't it be cool if" stuff going on in this movie! For instance, parallax has teeth, but not the teeth of T-Rex or so, no, he has the teeth of a plant eater. And this already gives a hint why this s.o.a.b. is so dangerous: he likes green stuff most.

Now, I may seem to be giving this movie a hard time, but I enjoyed it. I like this kind of mindless CGI trash. The goofiest superhero movie of the year. Awesome!

Le Sigh

Author: moviedoors from United States
17 June 2011

The Good:

Ryan Reynolds- he really did give it his all and sold it as best he could. His sincerity was undeniable and he deserves most of the credit for what works in the movie. He succeeded were plenty of others would've fallen flat on their faces.

Peter Sarsgaard- not a great performance, but he was chewing the hell out of the scenery and having a blast doing it. I love that piercing scream he does.

The creature and Corp design work- The suits look great. They don't look phony at all on Reynolds. I love the bright colors. I was surprised how much I liked the look and presence of Parallax. Especially good sound work on him. There were some neat looking aliens tucked away in the corners.

The Bad:

The script- lazy, lazy, lazy. It's boiling over with clunky exposition. Who these characters were was shoehorned in in a very shoddy manner. Hal's flashback at the beginning to his father's death was the height of plot convenience. Hal and Hector having a past is pretty much non existent. They don't share any scenes together until what seemed like an hour in and their interaction basically amounts to them bumping into each other and going "Oh, hey. What's up?" And speaking of Hector, I have no idea who this guy was. He's infected pretty much immediately after we meet. Am I supposed to like him? see his flaws? see how he could be susceptible to fear? I don't know! Near the end, Sinestro describes Hal as brash and opinionated "just like Abin-Sur." Would have been nice to have actually see that quality in Abin instead of just being told at the end.

Actors in nothing roles- Tim Robbins and Angela Bassett do nothing of note playing cardboard characters with nothing to do but further the plot and add some cred to the cast. I'm not overly familiar with Blake Lively and I left with basically no impression of her. I won't blame her as she had essentially nothing to work with.

The Corp- Speaking of doing nothing, the Corp and the Guardians do nothing either. This is all tell and no show. Tomar-Re is Basil Exposition, Kilowag trains Hal for what seemed like 2 minutes and then more or less vanished, the Guardians sit on their thrones making bizarre, head scratching decisions and they have a serious case of the CG rubber lips. I started to perk up when Sinestro led a small regiment of Lanterns to fight Parallax, but it's a 30 second non- fight with one projection, 5 seconds of zipping around, and then Sinestro looking shocked after characters we "met" in 2 second cut-aways are dispatched with ridiculous ease by Parallax.

Oa- one of the biggest let downs for me. If you've seen the trailers, you've pretty much seen all this movie has to offer with this world. Some rocks, a purple sky, and Lanterns standing around doing, you guessed it, nothing. Asgard was a far more visually interesting place and forget about it even coming near Pandora.

The rest of the people on Earth- After Green Lantern makes his first appearance, there's a shocking lack of attention. There's a news report in the background of one scene "going who was this hero who saved the day?" as if that's the big story, and not a mention of, gee, I don't know, all the crazy energy constructs he created!

The credit cookie- Not earned in the slightest. The reason Sinestro puts on that yellow ring had zero to do with what was established throughout the entire rest of the movie (and for what it's worth, Sinestro works well with his small amount of screen time and Mark Strong brings as much gravity as his humanely possible to the role). This was nothing but cheap fan service and teeth grating plot contrivance.

Thor was a much more entertaining ride, and I thought Thor was merely good. Forget about it even coming close to Iron Man, Superman, Watchmen, or Nolan's Batmans. But, is it terrible? No. I'll watch this again before I go near Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, or Kick-Ass again. By a long shot. It didn't suck, but I just can't say I liked it either and I wanted to so bad. Big disappointment.

Green Lantern Review (may contain spoilers)

Author: jeffreydearman from United States
16 June 2011

For a superhero that can create anything he can imagine with his mind, the Green Lantern's creative team failed to create good characters, villains, special effects, or an overall enjoyable experience worth 11 dollars.

The movie starts off well enough with exciting action in space, where we meet a villain capable of absorbing entire planets (which comes across as a space version of the kraken used in Pirates of the Caribbean 2- not a good thing). Upon being injured, the greatest of all the Lanterns crash lands on Earth to begin the search for his successor. After searching what seems to be 4 square miles, the ring chooses the cocky and brash Hal Jordan. He's sucked up in a manner similar to the game Super Monkey Ball, and finds himself on the other side of town, and there before him is a spaceship. After an interaction of less than 30 seconds, the alien Abin Sur dies, leaving Hal wondering what to do next, and unfortunately much of the fun dies after this point.

After a bar brawl, Hal is whisked away to the beautiful planet Oa. For how much detail, design and money they put into this planet that holds all of the Lanterns, they spend all of 16 minutes on it. And of those 16 minutes, 10 is spent talking to knock-off Yodas about pointless stories and how they don't feel fear.

In a segment that feels very much like a video game intro to a game where they ask "is it OK the way you look up and down?" he learns to fly by simply falling off a ledge and just knowing how to, and why wouldn't he know how to fly? Considering he's had these powers all his life… except he hasn't.

At this moment the film feels like it's finally going to pick up, but it doesn't. He learns to "imagine" by getting the crap kicked out of him by a Lantern voiced by Michael Clark Duncan. After all of two minutes he has mastered the art of creating indestructible things with his mind. And after all of this build up he quits and goes back to earth after his feelings are hurt. I wish I was kidding.

Here, a character enters the movie for no reason whatsoever. A scientist named Hector Hamond- or what you will eventually know him as: that guy who shrieks and screams every time he so much as stubs his toe- is charged with examining Abin Sur's dead alien body by a secret government organization. After examining the alien body he begins to change into a "mad scientist". All the large head make up and special effects in the world couldn't make him either scary or believable as a villain. After this point every time someone so much as forgets the ranch he ordered with his fries he makes bad things happen to people. They even go as far as giving him the disappointed-in-his-son father-figure. Even though his dad got him the job to examine the alien and a promotion, he still hates him.

Enter Hals love interest, or what I like to call her, "attractive girl who stands around and looks pretty." Clearly taking acting notes from Natalie Portman's character in Thor, she is there and looks nice but doesn't really do anything important to the plot or to the movie itself. She and Hal have one good scene of chemistry, but other than that it's just scene after scene of her in tighter and tighter dresses.

Hals "best friend character" does nothing more than pick him up one time and then say "cool" when Hal shows him the Lantern suit. That's literally all he does. There isn't that helping the hero out as best he can in the end, or anything else to add. All of these distractions and pointless characters begin to add up in an origin story of a superhero with a running time of an hour and forty five minutes.

The music… I found myself feeling that much of the music could easily have been lifted from any episode of 7th Heaven at times. During the action there wasn't any swell of excitement that music should add to a film. In fact it goes unnoticed for much of the movie, never creating a Green Lantern theme; no anthem for the DC hero. Just the most stock music you will hear this summer. The one bright spot in this otherwise dim movie was the character Sinestro played by actor Mark Strong. His scenes were the more enjoyable to watch, and yet in the end his character stays in the wings for the entire movie.

Bottom line The Green Lantern is a movie that starts off promising, but ends leaving the viewer with very little interest in a sequel, or in the hero in general. With poor characters, video game-like special effects, and a very anti-climactic finale, the Green Lantern offers very little compared to the already great movies released this summer. Throughout the movie the Lanterns stress the fact that they do not feel fear, but unless this movie has a monster opening weekend, the execs that green-lit this 300 million dollar movie might just be fearing for their jobs.

An abrasive assault to the senses and dolefully dreary filmmaking.

Author: GoneWithTheTwins from www.GoneWithTheTwins.com
16 June 2011

The filmmakers are under the impression that audiences will accept anything, as long as it's drenched in special effects. Balls of gaseous substances, electrical fields of lightning, pulsing rays of color, billowing smoke, fiery explosions and glowing energy beams all shown rapidly and accompanied by piercing noises – these tricks are sure to impress even the most cynical critics. Unexplainable things happen all of a sudden and viewers are expected to sit back and soak up the visual zaniness without questioning all the cryptic events. This is simply not true. For an origins movie, Green Lantern certainly has a lot more explaining to do.

For centuries, the emerald energy of willpower has been fueling intergalactic peacekeepers known as Green Lanterns. Thousands of specially chosen warriors and guardians police the galaxies, using their unimaginable powers to quell the evil forces of fear. Legendary legionnaire Abin Sur (Temuera Morrison), aglow with purplish, translucent skin and rubbery tendons, discovers that an ancient monstrosity called Parallax has been steadily growing and is responsible for the recent deaths of several highly skilled Green Lanterns. When he encounters the frightful anomaly firsthand, he's mortally wounded and must crash land on Earth.

The viridian energy works in mysterious ways, and purposefully chooses the individuals that harness its powers. When Abin dies, the ring he possesses, recharged by a literal chartreuse lantern, seeks out devil-may-care, foolhardy, hotheaded jet pilot Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds, who hasn't changed drastically from Van Wilder) to be its new caretaker. At first he has no interest in assuming the responsibilities of protecting a massive sector of civilization, but with the help of negativistic ally Sinestro (Mark Strong), bulky alien Kilowog (Michael Clarke Duncan) and bird-beaked mentor Tomar-Re (Geoffrey Rush), Hal will become the most powerful Lantern of them all.

From the very start, solemn narration, intrusive flashbacks and countless tongue-twisting alien worlds, names and devices are utilized, going overboard to stay faithful to the DC Comics characters and entities. With such a swift running time, too much mindboggling content is thrown at the screen rapidly. In the vein of Star Wars or Star Trek, the ideas are completely science-fiction, working on a level closer to Thor than Iron Man. Almost nothing is grounded in reality, and because of this, little is deemed worthy of explanation. An "induction process" allows for communication between the human and his newfound comrades, along with quick acceptance of his lime green muscle suit, comical mask (to protect his identity, despite merely covering his cheekbones), and super powers. "The ring's limits are only what you can imagine," insists Tomar-Re, making further definition pointless.

A subplot with Dr. Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard) is unnecessary and wasted, the primary villain Parallax is built up to be invincible but then casually discarded, and Hal's love interest Carol Ferris (Blake Lively, proving she can only play one character) is hopelessly generic. It takes over an hour to devise a plot and forge an antagonist, and just a few minutes to hastily resolve it all. Impressive makeup goes the route of repulsive instead of awe-inspiring, and the costumes and character designs follow suit, appearing absurd rather than impactful.

While trying to stay true to the look of the original comic books, Green Lantern has crafted some incredibly silly stuff. The visuals are entirely too goofy for non-fans to readily digest. There's also a huge focus on responsibility, facing fears, and never giving up, which passes as noticeably bland and uninteresting. Like Iron Man 2, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, and most of the X-Men sequels, Green Lantern is a mishmash of outdated graphic novel lore, reinvention, redesign, revival, adaptation, stale humor and budget-busting special effects, all of which are an abrasive assault to the senses and dolefully dreary filmmaking.

- The Massie Twins

A Classic Comic to Movie

Author: icurhuman2 from Australia
25 March 2013

I'm surprised by the average score this movie has gotten and so I must add to its legend in the hope that they do a follow up one day. I've watched it five times now - once at the theater, once as a hired DVD, and three times from the bought DVD. If you are a connoisseur of sci-fi and comic-to-movie this definitely belongs in the collection. I'd have given it a ten but I never give a ten to anything... Bought the original comic when it first came out (that's how old I am)and wish my mother didn't throw out my whole collection of original first editions, two suitcases worth (forty years ago)... I'd be worth a lot more than I am now if she hadn't.... If you haven't seen this one I strongly suggest you do!