IMDb > Green Lantern (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Lantern

Green Lantern More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 56: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

The critics are talking s*** (Spoiler Alert)

Author: Alex Gidley from Leeds
25 June 2011

Green Lantern is a great film it so didn't deserve the critical thrashing that it got I loved it not the best film of the year but non the less great. The performances were OK Mark Strong as Sinestro was a fantastic as ever his performance reminded me of his performance in Sherlock Holmes as Lord Blackwood which is a great thing Ryan Renyolds did better than expected as Hal Jordan but Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond was down right awful whenever he was on screen it detracted from the experience and which is why I can't give this film any more than 8/10 i'm just glad he dies so he cant be in the next one. Oh and by the way if you stay after the film has finished there is an extra bit which strongly hints towards a sequel so watch out for that.

Green Lantern was GREAT!!!!!!

Author: mvickk5 from United States
18 June 2011

I do not understand the various bad reviews on rotten tomato. I took my family and they all loved it and so did everyone else in the theater ( a loud applause confirmed that at the end of the movie). Filled with much more action than the great X-men First Class, I felt that Green Lantern delivered in a great way. Not to mention, this is one film that actually works great in 3D. Personally i loved the film and hope that people will start to go to the movies without checking various reviews before hand. If you like Ryan Reynolds, or if your a die hard Green Lantern (Geoff Johns) reader like myself, you will love this movie. I gave it a 9/10. Very entertaining, not over the top, easy to follow, great special effects and the usual occasional humor from Ryan Reynolds. Defiantly a great summer film. Critics are way to harsh on this film. Trust me give it a chance. According to rotten tomato, Mr. Poppers Penguins is worth going to see over Green Lantern. Give me a break lol come on!!! Take your family to a great summer action film. Do yourself a favor and go see Green Lantern.

This movie is what I've been waiting for my entire comic life!

Author: dtwmiller-83-692337 from United States
17 June 2011

I have been reading the comic for over 40 years and I was blown away by this. I understand that they can't make the movie exactly like the comic and I am fine with that. I want to say that the entire cast was superb, except for the part of Hector Hammond (the growing forehead was just a bit too nasty for me). Mark Strong as Sinestro was a perfect choice! Ryan Reynolds was also superbly cast. I think that the special effects for the movie were done very well and I applaud the movie makers for making the aliens seem very lifelike. Too many times they seem to get lazy with this or give the aliens very poor makeup. Do not go in with a closed mind on this. Give it a chance and I believe you will be well rewarded. I like the concept for this movie and thoroughly applaud the effort.

At least there's a happy toy manufacturer out there...

Author: griffolyon12 from United States
18 June 2011

(To preface this, I am a Green Lantern fan, and have been for as long as I have read comic books, so on with the review.)

Some movies are made just to sell toys, and this is one of them. Underdeveloped characters, underdeveloped relationships, gaping plot holes, and a movie in a bad need of a good rewrite, plague DC Comics first cinematic foray outside the Batman-Superman franchises, making Green Lantern possibly the last DC movie other than Batman or Superman we will see for a while.

The Green Lanterns are intergalactic police officers, and Earthling Hal Jordan just so happens to be the first human chosen to join their ranks, but alas an evil is brewing in the farthest reaches of space, and Hal must learn how to master his newfound powers, or else... You probably know what will happen next.

Green Lantern wants to adhere to the superhero movie formula, but it does so with little charm, little wit, and not a lot in terms of flow from one scene to the other. Not to mention, characters come and go with no sense of where they came from or where they went when not on screen. Should we care about Peter Sarsgaard's villain, Hector Hammond? His character is not even introduced till the second act and by then it is like, "Who is this guy, and why should I care when he becomes the psychotic villain?" Then there is star, Ryan Reynolds, who obviously cared about the source material, giving Hal Jordan his all, but when you're in a movie that simply wants to try and get to the next action set piece as fast as possible so that they can satisfy the seven-year-old who is going to buy the toys, it is hard to have much to toy with (like that pun?). The action is impressive, but when the story is just a bullet point, cliff note version of the larger, more expansive mythology that this comic book character boasts, one can see why Green Lantern suffers in translation.

I give Green Lantern a 4 out of 10!

A World Of Overreaction

Author: Matthew Dale from Australia
5 October 2011

While I admit this movie had it's flaws, I do strongly believe this movie has been vastly underrated by the public. Unfortunately Green Lantern came at a time when comic inspired novels have been done almost to death. While most done quite brilliantly (most being the operative word here) Green Lantern I believe did not live up to the expectations we now have of comic adaptations.

Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan was a great choice for the role of The Green Lantern, the character arc while helping you to understand the character of Hal Jordan was sufficient I do believe they could of well exceeded what they did.

For a story as immense as the Green Lantern I believe that the close to two hours was to short to completely describe and help understand the Green Lantern universe. The length I believe to be the biggest drawback in this movie. In my opinion the movie should of been closer to the length of The Watchmen to completely illustrate the complexity and brilliance that the Green Lantern universe really is.

For me, I believed the hype going into this movie, I had a completely closed mind and fully expected this movie to be as one critic described it "Green Lantern, The worst comic book movie ever made". Honestly I have to say that I'm glad that I read that review before viewing this movie as it made it all that sweeter when the movie went beyond all I thought it would be and greatly impressed me.

I'm sorry that this movie was received so badly because the chances of seeing a sequel have dropped and in a universe where anything is possible I think we will miss out on all that the Green Lantern franchise could be.

I enjoyed it.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
12 November 2011

Three months ago I watched the animated movie that covers essentially the same story, that of the hot-shot, sometimes irresponsible American test pilot that gets recruited into the Green Latern Corps, the several thousand who each have a sector of the universe to protect.

Here we get real people telling the story. Ryan Reynolds is the focus as test pilot Hal Jordan. He is flying a test mission to help demonstrate the advantages of a new fighter plane when he pulls a very risky move and ends up destroying the plane. Soon after he is pulled into the presence of a dying Green Lantern, who tells him "the ring has chosen you." When he is transported to the secret location, in a far corner of the universe, he is met with much skepticism.

All the other green lanterns are from races much older than the human race, and they doubt that an Earthling human has what it takes. This of course provides the drama for Hal's quest to prove himself and become what our comic books refer to as the Green Lantern.

A large obstacle is the evil monster of sorts that is absorbing the energy of others and in the process growing more powerful. Unstopped it would destroy the universe as we know it. Hal needs to become the hero that stops the monster and in the process earning his status.

Good movie, I enjoyed it.

Nowhere near as bad the critics made out

Author: markjohnevans79 from United Kingdom
23 September 2011

Look, you don't come to a film like this expecting Citizen Kane. This was a great popcorn flick. Unfortunately these days too many "professional" critics have an intellectual bias whereby they feel if they dare give a film like this a decent review they'll be laughed out of their silly little jobs.

I've watched a good few films this summer and some of those the critics have lauded I've found to be OK-ish but riddled with plot holes and average acting ('Hanna' anyone). the problem is with superhero films is that they come with an already built in audience, i.e. the fanboys. These guys will immediately dismiss any film adaptation of a beloved comic book hero if it doesn't stick religiously to the source material. Then you have the other guys, film fans who will try to pick holes in anything that doesn't fit the superhero movie archetype. Essentially you'll NEVER please either of these groups and unfortunately they are the most vocal. I however am a fanboy and a film fan so I skate the middle line. This gives me an advantage as I realise that comics cannot be 100% adapted to film and that film must be adapted to comic books as much as it can. Green Lantern was a victim of both these parties. However they have done it an injustice. This was a thoroughly enjoyable, well acted (even for Ryan Reynolds) slice of fried gold. Yes it has it's weak points (it takes it sweet time to get going and the romance angle felt tacked on) but it was easily on a par with other comic book adaptations of this year (Thor and Captain America)and really did not deserve the drubbing it got. My advice, don't listen to the critics or the fan boys or even me. Watch the film and make up your own mind. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Underrated Comic Flick That Deserves More Praise

Author: SciFiSheriff from United Kingdom
30 December 2011

Comic book adaptations are quickly becoming one of the most popular movie genres of the modern era. With high speed action, a good story and some great acting, who could blame it. however there is one film that is constantly battered by fans and movie goers alike.

Yes, this is my review of Green Lantern.

(Note; I do not believe in Millions of years, so i'm just going to leave it out of this review. I ignore usually these kind of references)

The plot goes like this;

Somewhere in the universe, a mighty force of nature called Parallax, who feeds on the fear of the universe, escapes custody by a green lantern warrior known as Abin Sur. Parallax fatally wounds Abin but he narrowly escapes instant death in an escape pod. He contacts the rest of the green lanterns and tells them who he encountered and that he will die. His pod lands on earth and at the brink of death he is met by a man who was brought there by his power ring. He passes on the ring to the man, Hal Jordan, and tells him to speak the oath. He does, and becomes one of the green lanterns. It eventually falls on him to save the universe from Parallax and defeat him once and for all.

While this movie doesn't live up to the standards of "Captain America- The First Avenger" or the Nolan Batman Trilogy, this film is still quite enjoyable.

I'll admit, the acting wasn't that great. There was no real character that stood out for me as being well acted but it was still watchable. As for the characters themselves, they were quite interesting. Although the human characters were interesting to an extent, It's the green lanterns that stole the show. Their is one scene were all the green lanterns are having a conference of some sort. There are so many green lanterns that sometimes all you see is green. Each one looks different and unique; I actually pause at this part to see what other strange beings i missed inn the first viewing. Props to the designers for creating some brilliant looking creatures.

The story isn't to special, but it is interesting. It's nothing more than the normal super-hero origin story, with a couple of unorthodox plot lines. The movie's ending tells you that there is another movie coming. I won't spoil, But green Lantern fans will like it, If they didn't like the movie itself.

The villain, I thought, is what brings the film down a notch. Halfway through the film a scientist gets infected by the power source of Parallax, corrupting him into a monstrous creature that can control objects with his eyes. I wasn't too fond of the guy. His motives for his actions were uninteresting making some of the "intence" scenes a little tedious, but this is a minor fault.Parallax is more impressive. There are some scenes were he is tearing through the city eating everything in his path. However, like the other guy (Who's name escapes me), Parallax lacks motive for what he does other than the fact he needs fear to become more powerful.

One of the most interesting things about the green lanterns is the power to make thought reality. For example, you can think of a massive artillery gun and it would appear right beside you. This is an interesting concept and is far more diverse to other superheros. Although there are plenty of scenes of this power, I thought it was under used; Sometimes all they did was fire balls of green energy at their enemies which I thought was a waste.

Don't let that put you off though. There are some impressive action scenes to sink your teeth into. The battle at the end with Parallax is definitely worth seeing. It didn't have as much action as i thought it would have or would have liked but it still was satisfying.

All in all, a great summer action flick. Not everyone's cup of tea but if you just like watching movies and are willing to bypass mistakes, this is the film for you. With over use of CGI ad badly created villains, it wasn't the best way to start a franchise but it is still enjoyable none the less.

Critics are the sole reason for this movie not doing well

Author: sasaiscoming from India
26 June 2011

the movie is great...............i have seen almost every movie , you name it,not just super hero flicks and i can say for sure this movie still feels a fun filled ride with something new to offer in CGI aspect...........i don't understand what people are complaining about , it's a superhero movie for heaven's sake , the hero is supposed to win.......what's cliché about it ? please don't listen to critics and some sheeps who feel criticising everything makes them a superior voice............shame on them, they are the very reason that such a worthy movie is being discarded without even being given a try . GO WATCH THIS MOVIE...............if u don't want to miss on something just because others said so .

A Subpar Movie...

Author: stevenscottjones from United States
18 June 2011

First I should say that I'm a fan of Green Lantern and he's (Hal Jordan) my favorite DC character. Here's why I thought this movie was subpar: 1. Ryan Reynolds was a horrible Hal Jordan. Before I saw the movie I thought this was a poor casting choice but thought he could potentially pull it off a la Michael Keaton/Batman. Unfortunately he did not pull it off. Ryan Reynolds is a comedic actor and that's how he portrayed Hal Jordan who if you read the comic book is not a "jokester" at all. It almost felt like Hal Jordan was Peter Parker 2. The origin of the Green Lantern character took way to long to develop. The two thirds of the movie was very boring.

3. Wrong choice of villains. Hector Hammond?!? Really?!? They couldn't come of with a better villain than Hector Hammond?!? I know that it was almost impossible to use Sinestro as the villain in the first movie as it would have taken too long to tell GL's origin and why Sinestro went bad all in one movie then have Sinestro be the final fight at the end...the movie would have felt rushed but instead of Parallax and Hector Hammond they could have went with Atrocitus (who they killed Abin Sur in the revised Origin of GL) or even the Manhunters who were the reason why the Guardians created the GL Corps in the first place. Anything would have been better than Hector Hammond and Parallax.

4. The special effects were garbage. As in the 1st Superman movie with Christopher Reeves, I DID NOT believe that a man could fly when I watched Green Lantern. The flying sequences looked very cheesy as well as the constructs that the GL's created. Also every scene had a CGI feel to it especially GL's body. It looked like they pasted Ryan Reynolds live head onto a CGI body...AWFUL!!! 5. The ending was the worst ending I've ever seen in a movie. I mean seriously...just toss Parallax into the sun...I mean Sinestro or the Guardians couldn't have thought of that?!? How did Hal Jordan know that that would kill him??? 6. Parallax looked like a joke...a big Giant head...really?!? That's the best that they could come up with...AWFUL!!! 7. Green Lantern went to Oa to learn how to be a Green Lantern. He quits before he's even had one day of training and goes back to Earth where somehow he's able to master the use of his power ring...really?!? I mean come on...Parallax defeats and kills one of the best Green Lanterns, Abin Sur (per Sinestro)and defeats Sinestro and about 7 other Green Lanterns but somehow with not even a full day's worth of training, Hal Jordan is able to defeat Parallax. Makes no sense.

With all of the above being said, the movie had one bright spot which was Sinestro. He was PERFECTLY cast (a la Heath Ledger/Joker). Unfortunately we didn't get to see enough of him.