IMDb > Green Lantern (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Lantern

Green Lantern More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 55: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A Subpar Movie...

Author: stevenscottjones from United States
18 June 2011

First I should say that I'm a fan of Green Lantern and he's (Hal Jordan) my favorite DC character. Here's why I thought this movie was subpar: 1. Ryan Reynolds was a horrible Hal Jordan. Before I saw the movie I thought this was a poor casting choice but thought he could potentially pull it off a la Michael Keaton/Batman. Unfortunately he did not pull it off. Ryan Reynolds is a comedic actor and that's how he portrayed Hal Jordan who if you read the comic book is not a "jokester" at all. It almost felt like Hal Jordan was Peter Parker 2. The origin of the Green Lantern character took way to long to develop. The two thirds of the movie was very boring.

3. Wrong choice of villains. Hector Hammond?!? Really?!? They couldn't come of with a better villain than Hector Hammond?!? I know that it was almost impossible to use Sinestro as the villain in the first movie as it would have taken too long to tell GL's origin and why Sinestro went bad all in one movie then have Sinestro be the final fight at the end...the movie would have felt rushed but instead of Parallax and Hector Hammond they could have went with Atrocitus (who they killed Abin Sur in the revised Origin of GL) or even the Manhunters who were the reason why the Guardians created the GL Corps in the first place. Anything would have been better than Hector Hammond and Parallax.

4. The special effects were garbage. As in the 1st Superman movie with Christopher Reeves, I DID NOT believe that a man could fly when I watched Green Lantern. The flying sequences looked very cheesy as well as the constructs that the GL's created. Also every scene had a CGI feel to it especially GL's body. It looked like they pasted Ryan Reynolds live head onto a CGI body...AWFUL!!! 5. The ending was the worst ending I've ever seen in a movie. I mean seriously...just toss Parallax into the sun...I mean Sinestro or the Guardians couldn't have thought of that?!? How did Hal Jordan know that that would kill him??? 6. Parallax looked like a joke...a big Giant head...really?!? That's the best that they could come up with...AWFUL!!! 7. Green Lantern went to Oa to learn how to be a Green Lantern. He quits before he's even had one day of training and goes back to Earth where somehow he's able to master the use of his power ring...really?!? I mean come on...Parallax defeats and kills one of the best Green Lanterns, Abin Sur (per Sinestro)and defeats Sinestro and about 7 other Green Lanterns but somehow with not even a full day's worth of training, Hal Jordan is able to defeat Parallax. Makes no sense.

With all of the above being said, the movie had one bright spot which was Sinestro. He was PERFECTLY cast (a la Heath Ledger/Joker). Unfortunately we didn't get to see enough of him.

I enjoyed it.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
12 November 2011

Three months ago I watched the animated movie that covers essentially the same story, that of the hot-shot, sometimes irresponsible American test pilot that gets recruited into the Green Latern Corps, the several thousand who each have a sector of the universe to protect.

Here we get real people telling the story. Ryan Reynolds is the focus as test pilot Hal Jordan. He is flying a test mission to help demonstrate the advantages of a new fighter plane when he pulls a very risky move and ends up destroying the plane. Soon after he is pulled into the presence of a dying Green Lantern, who tells him "the ring has chosen you." When he is transported to the secret location, in a far corner of the universe, he is met with much skepticism.

All the other green lanterns are from races much older than the human race, and they doubt that an Earthling human has what it takes. This of course provides the drama for Hal's quest to prove himself and become what our comic books refer to as the Green Lantern.

A large obstacle is the evil monster of sorts that is absorbing the energy of others and in the process growing more powerful. Unstopped it would destroy the universe as we know it. Hal needs to become the hero that stops the monster and in the process earning his status.

Good movie, I enjoyed it.

Underrated Comic Flick That Deserves More Praise

Author: SciFiSheriff from United Kingdom
30 December 2011

Comic book adaptations are quickly becoming one of the most popular movie genres of the modern era. With high speed action, a good story and some great acting, who could blame it. however there is one film that is constantly battered by fans and movie goers alike.

Yes, this is my review of Green Lantern.

(Note; I do not believe in Millions of years, so i'm just going to leave it out of this review. I ignore usually these kind of references)

The plot goes like this;

Somewhere in the universe, a mighty force of nature called Parallax, who feeds on the fear of the universe, escapes custody by a green lantern warrior known as Abin Sur. Parallax fatally wounds Abin but he narrowly escapes instant death in an escape pod. He contacts the rest of the green lanterns and tells them who he encountered and that he will die. His pod lands on earth and at the brink of death he is met by a man who was brought there by his power ring. He passes on the ring to the man, Hal Jordan, and tells him to speak the oath. He does, and becomes one of the green lanterns. It eventually falls on him to save the universe from Parallax and defeat him once and for all.

While this movie doesn't live up to the standards of "Captain America- The First Avenger" or the Nolan Batman Trilogy, this film is still quite enjoyable.

I'll admit, the acting wasn't that great. There was no real character that stood out for me as being well acted but it was still watchable. As for the characters themselves, they were quite interesting. Although the human characters were interesting to an extent, It's the green lanterns that stole the show. Their is one scene were all the green lanterns are having a conference of some sort. There are so many green lanterns that sometimes all you see is green. Each one looks different and unique; I actually pause at this part to see what other strange beings i missed inn the first viewing. Props to the designers for creating some brilliant looking creatures.

The story isn't to special, but it is interesting. It's nothing more than the normal super-hero origin story, with a couple of unorthodox plot lines. The movie's ending tells you that there is another movie coming. I won't spoil, But green Lantern fans will like it, If they didn't like the movie itself.

The villain, I thought, is what brings the film down a notch. Halfway through the film a scientist gets infected by the power source of Parallax, corrupting him into a monstrous creature that can control objects with his eyes. I wasn't too fond of the guy. His motives for his actions were uninteresting making some of the "intence" scenes a little tedious, but this is a minor fault.Parallax is more impressive. There are some scenes were he is tearing through the city eating everything in his path. However, like the other guy (Who's name escapes me), Parallax lacks motive for what he does other than the fact he needs fear to become more powerful.

One of the most interesting things about the green lanterns is the power to make thought reality. For example, you can think of a massive artillery gun and it would appear right beside you. This is an interesting concept and is far more diverse to other superheros. Although there are plenty of scenes of this power, I thought it was under used; Sometimes all they did was fire balls of green energy at their enemies which I thought was a waste.

Don't let that put you off though. There are some impressive action scenes to sink your teeth into. The battle at the end with Parallax is definitely worth seeing. It didn't have as much action as i thought it would have or would have liked but it still was satisfying.

All in all, a great summer action flick. Not everyone's cup of tea but if you just like watching movies and are willing to bypass mistakes, this is the film for you. With over use of CGI ad badly created villains, it wasn't the best way to start a franchise but it is still enjoyable none the less.

Maybe not the worst movie out there, but cutting it close!

Author: magnusoi from Norway
31 October 2011

Ryan Reynolds as an all-American superhero could've worked if it wasn't for the terrible script and useless attempts to charm the audience with goofy humor and stereotype lines. If you're really into the comics world, you might give this movie a chance... otherwise, STAY CLEAR! It's not worth spending 150 minutes of your time on such utter crap. The acting is not the worst, but the storyline and all the cliché makes it hard to watch. You'll find yourself waiting for the end, or wanting to fall asleep. It might just make "the worst movie of the year". A total disappointment for any superhero-movie-lover, and especially for those who don't even love this genre.

" There is a great power which fears only the Power of my Ring "

Author: thinker1691 from USA
20 December 2012

In 1938, comic Imigination arrived at Dectective Comics with the Introducted of the Dark Knight also called The Batman. Before long a plethora of others soon followed, among them was the mysterious " Green Lantern. " Hal Jordan AKA Green Lantern are both played by Ryan Reynold. The story reaches back to the 20th century and the space age. Here we find our hero and his special selection by a celestial being who reaches into his chosen's human heart to learn that he possesses true Courage and no fear. That, then is the primary ingredient for his selection and the gist of the legend. Once you enter the myth of the Green Lantern, you also enter the vast din of the Universe and it's mystical powers, where beings from other planets are collected to fight their Nemesis, . . . Fear. This film does it's best to take our Hero and the audience to their world and the battlefield of the Universe. It's a fabulous journey and one which is responsible for the enjoyment of the cinema, A great slice of DC comics transformed into the stuff of imagination and the world of Entertainment. Recommended to all. ****

Movies are for enjoyment. The Critics were kind of harsh, This isn't batman people! It's harder to pull off

Author: jesusjr-rodrig
7 December 2012

I enjoyed this movie, it was not bad, and despite all the criticism I really liked it. If you go in giving it a chance and just looking to enjoy it, you just might. It's a bit harder to get into than the usual hero movies, but other than that the only fault might be that it was a bit ambitious. It's kind of a strange story for those not familiar with green lantern , but give it a shot.

First of all I am not the worlds most hardcore green lantern fan, but I do love heroes, and green lantern is an awesome one. It's to bad though that green lantern is not quite as iconic outside of the world of big comic book and hero fans. I think that was the first problem with this movie. People know and love heroes like batman and spider man, but they are huge and easily recognizable icons outside the comic book world too. So this might make it hard for this movie to be so successful. then there's the fact that this was never going to be quite as easy to pull off as other movies. Hal Jordan is not bitten by a crazy bug, he's not a troubled vigilante, and he is not just some rich guy heroing for the hell of it in a really expensive suit. What's my point? The point is This is not your usual simple story of some Joe gaining super powers. Possible Spoiler! This is the story of Hal Jordan who gains powers from a ring that shows him a whole new huge alien world and a universal police corps. Obviously that is not your typical hero movie. It is not easy to do, and there is still a lot more packed into this story than that.

Iron man had an easier time because it was an easier story to understand for audiences, maybe it was easier to put on the big screen, in comparison to green lantern anyway. To recap this was a certainly a cool project that got the fans hyped, but not everyone who goes berserk over spidey, bats or Mr. stark. It's a crazy, awesome story, but it might be hard for newcomer to understand. lastly it is ambitious in that it tries to pack a lot of good stuff into a limited time space. That is my only complaint. The CGI was decent, and I liked the costume, if you know the story the choice makes sense. Critics are, as their name implies, people looking to criticize. sometimes, unjustly, over the top, and sadistically even. To be fair not all of them are unfair, I enjoy Roger Ebert's reviews, but the point is to just try and enjoy the movie.

A Likable Comic Book Movie

Author: ladymidath (ladymidath@gmail.com) from Australia
26 May 2012

I know a lot of people didn't like Green Lantern but I don't know why. It was a fun movie with a good solid lead in Ryan Reynolds. It was not as dark as The Dark Knight or V For Vendetta but that is not the nature of Green Lantern. The special effects were good and the casting was fine. Tim Robbins was well cast as Hammond as was Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond. Kudos to Mark Strong as Sinestro. I do hope they do a sequel with him as Sinestro was one of my favourite villains. All up it was a solid film and one I enjoyed immensely. Pity some people were disappointed but to be honest, I don't know what they were expecting as the film stayed reasonably true to the character and the tone of the comic books.

Better than expected

Author: m-d-bolik from Dundee, United Kingdom
4 December 2011

I didn't go to see this when it was released because some reviews were so negative. So I have just watched it on DVD. It was actually a very good film - and I thought it was well paced and enjoyable to watch. Of course there are flaws - but it was better than recent DC superhero outings, such as Bryan Singer's Superman or even the Dark Knight. I have to say, as a youngster, I was always more interested in DC comics than Marvel ones. And I have always felt that the Green Lantern would lend itself well to the big screen. This was really a very good film and unfairly criticised. As I mentioned there are flaws but these can be forgiven because of the movie's spirit - and also, as some have already mentioned - because it doesn't take itself as seriously as other superhero flicks.

So - ultimately - we trust the major reviewers - but it seems they can get it wrong. And now I am sorry I didn't see this in a movie theatre.

A World Of Overreaction

Author: Matthew Dale from Australia
5 October 2011

While I admit this movie had it's flaws, I do strongly believe this movie has been vastly underrated by the public. Unfortunately Green Lantern came at a time when comic inspired novels have been done almost to death. While most done quite brilliantly (most being the operative word here) Green Lantern I believe did not live up to the expectations we now have of comic adaptations.

Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan was a great choice for the role of The Green Lantern, the character arc while helping you to understand the character of Hal Jordan was sufficient I do believe they could of well exceeded what they did.

For a story as immense as the Green Lantern I believe that the close to two hours was to short to completely describe and help understand the Green Lantern universe. The length I believe to be the biggest drawback in this movie. In my opinion the movie should of been closer to the length of The Watchmen to completely illustrate the complexity and brilliance that the Green Lantern universe really is.

For me, I believed the hype going into this movie, I had a completely closed mind and fully expected this movie to be as one critic described it "Green Lantern, The worst comic book movie ever made". Honestly I have to say that I'm glad that I read that review before viewing this movie as it made it all that sweeter when the movie went beyond all I thought it would be and greatly impressed me.

I'm sorry that this movie was received so badly because the chances of seeing a sequel have dropped and in a universe where anything is possible I think we will miss out on all that the Green Lantern franchise could be.

Nowhere near as bad the critics made out

Author: markjohnevans79 from United Kingdom
23 September 2011

Look, you don't come to a film like this expecting Citizen Kane. This was a great popcorn flick. Unfortunately these days too many "professional" critics have an intellectual bias whereby they feel if they dare give a film like this a decent review they'll be laughed out of their silly little jobs.

I've watched a good few films this summer and some of those the critics have lauded I've found to be OK-ish but riddled with plot holes and average acting ('Hanna' anyone). the problem is with superhero films is that they come with an already built in audience, i.e. the fanboys. These guys will immediately dismiss any film adaptation of a beloved comic book hero if it doesn't stick religiously to the source material. Then you have the other guys, film fans who will try to pick holes in anything that doesn't fit the superhero movie archetype. Essentially you'll NEVER please either of these groups and unfortunately they are the most vocal. I however am a fanboy and a film fan so I skate the middle line. This gives me an advantage as I realise that comics cannot be 100% adapted to film and that film must be adapted to comic books as much as it can. Green Lantern was a victim of both these parties. However they have done it an injustice. This was a thoroughly enjoyable, well acted (even for Ryan Reynolds) slice of fried gold. Yes it has it's weak points (it takes it sweet time to get going and the romance angle felt tacked on) but it was easily on a par with other comic book adaptations of this year (Thor and Captain America)and really did not deserve the drubbing it got. My advice, don't listen to the critics or the fan boys or even me. Watch the film and make up your own mind. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.