IMDb > Green Lantern (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Lantern

Green Lantern More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 55:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Ridiculous film with a ridiculous choice of lead role.

Author: Sam Fenn from United Kingdom
2 July 2011

This film was terrible. I could not believe they've picked Ryan Reynolds to play Green Lantern, he belongs in rom-coms. And that is what he almost turned this into, the comedy played far too big a part in this. What little faith I had in Reynolds as playing this role was shattered very quickly, he simply is not made for serious movies. Though this film isn't exactly serious, it isn't exactly a comedy either.

Mainly though, the story line was completely flawed. The whole thing just seemed like bits of 'filler' taken from other films and clumped together. Nothing was properly explained, like, why didn't the evil guy have a body? Why was he telekinetic if he didn't have a stupid ring? Why is fear yellow? Whenever they mentioned the yellow power of fear I felt like I was watching kids play with action figures making up a stupid story off the top of their heads. And the fact that all Green Lantern needed to do was say the 'vow' then become super powerful and cunning to kill this thing? Being a superhero movie I was hoping for more Earthly heroics. It was just ridiculous.

The whole immortal thing was stupid as well. Seemed again like they just couldn't come up with an idea, so they just thought 'ah whatever, a load of unoriginal aliens sat in really high seats at the top of a really high building who have infinite knowledge but then get proved wrong. That sound okay?'. There was just not enough detail to any aspect of this film.

There was genuinely nothing I enjoyed about this film, being a teenager lets me sort of enjoy a film if there's good fighting or action in it, even if I know the film is awful. Like 300. But this, simply offered me nothing. Absolutely awful. Save your money.

Excellent adaptation

Author: tim-83-761799
17 June 2011

Don't listen to the negative remarks. This is a great movie. I've been a long time Green Lantern fan and the story line is a great adaptation from the comics. Yeah there are little things about the acting and writing, but they are overshadowed by the excellent story. This movie is well worth your time and money. The origins and background are spot on. I was glad the movie was built around the Green Lantern Corp. It is important to know that there is more than one Green Lantern. They did a really good job of showing Hal's personality. My wife even liked this movie. There is not dull moment. The momentum of the story keeps you from being bored.

Not another green movie...

Author: Chalice_Of_Evil from Australia
11 August 2011

Another in a long line of comic book films released this year, Green Lantern unfortunately doesn't compare to Thor, X-Men: First Class or Captain America. Had I seen Green Lantern *before* seeing those other three films, perhaps I wouldn't be as critical of it. But those previous movies set a high standard that this latest comic book movie doesn't quite reach. I feel a large part of why GL isn't as successful as the films before it is the pace and editing. A film about aliens, space police and a ring that can transform thought into reality should all come together to make one hell of an interesting film, but somehow the movie suffers from a seemingly sluggish pace in the beginning (thanks to a rather snore-worthy voice-over, explaining things that we need to know) before anything really interesting happens. Starting movies with prologues/exposition *can* be interesting, but this one manages to make everything that *should* be interesting somehow dull. It's actually very disappointing, given that director Martin Campbell was behind two of the best Bond movies ever (Goldeneye and Casino Royale). Those films never had a dull moment in them, whereas GL seems to have too many.

I'm one who hadn't known the first thing about Green Lantern - having never read the comics - before seeing this movie. Having heard the name a while back, I figured it was just some dude who liked the colour green and walked around with an old-timey lantern. Luckily, it's a bit more interesting than that. It actually involves a ring and a human, Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds), who the ring chooses to join an intergalactic military/police force known as the Green Lantern Corps. Turns out I wasn't entirely wrong, as there is indeed a lantern involved, but thankfully it's not old-timey and he doesn't just carry it around with him wherever he goes. Though he does swear an oath to it - one of the lighter moments in the film.

Reynolds wasn't apparently many people's ideal actor to play Hal, but I think he serves the role of the jet-fighter-test-pilot-turned-universe-protector well. Yes, he does play a bit of a jerk and he does have some funny lines, but he's also believable in the more serious moments. When he recites the oath for the second time, you know he's grown as a character. Reynolds is convincing in his portrayal of Hal's flaws as a person, and by the end you're on his side.

The lovely and very aptly named Blake Lively is a breath of fresh air, livening things up and injecting some much-needed energy into the otherwise kinda dull proceedings. As Carol Ferris, she's not only a fellow pilot with Hal, but also someone with whom Hal has a history. Not just another ordinary/boring love interest, she's able to stand up to Hal, not take his crap and can handle herself admirably. Best of all, though? She's no idiot. Most awesomely, Hal's lame Superman-in-glasses-like attempt to cover up his identity with nothing more than a small green mask doesn't work on Carol. As she says, she's known him her whole life and not being able to see his cheek bones isn't going to fool her. She immediately recognises it's him. Other superheroes' love interests would do well to learn from Carol (take note, Lois Lane!). The scene where he tries out his best Batman voice on her (after having earlier rescued her in public from a crashing helicopter by creating a race track for it to land on) is one of the best in the entire film. Carol's reactions to seeing through Hal's mask are really quite good/amusing. It's one of the more unique things about the film - where most tend to have the 'love interest' remain in the dark or look stupid for not having figured out things early on.

I liked how Carol wasn't just giving Hal crap nonstop, but also encouraged him/saved him. Lively and Reynolds have decent chemistry and share some good moments together. Though the rest/supporting characters, both human & alien, are all rather average. This lack of character development lets the film down.

It also doesn't help that the villain/s of the film are among some of the most non-scary & laugh-worthy villains ever to appear in comic book films (up there with Green Goblin). Parallax is nothing more than a big angry dust cloud that zaps people with yellow. You know you're in trouble when this is the 'Big Bad' of the movie. The film's 'Little Bad' is hair-sniffer, Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard), who becomes infected by Parallax and gains telepathic/telekinetic abilities as a result...but also (literally) gets a big head - doesn't really seem like a fair trade-off. Our fat-headed villain is gross to look at, but other than that, he's not particularly effective. He's just another poor sod with daddy issues and bad luck. He shares minimal dialogue with Hal and Carol, and yet we're supposed to buy them as people who know each other well. The only real tense moment I felt involving them was was when Hector's threatening to make Carol like him - something no SANE person would want to see happen.

What I felt really let the film down was the pacing. Things seem to be shown to us in a strange order a lot of the time, and it just feels 'off'. I will say that the movie did allow for some interesting uses of CGI - the constructs Hal forms with his mind/the ring are pretty exciting & creative. The flying was also good. And it makes sense his costume looks the way it does, since it's created out of energy.

This isn't a bad film as such, it just isn't all that it could have been. Still, here's hoping that a sequel improves on it. Despite all the flaws, I do wish to see Hal Jordan and Carrol Ferris again. Until then, go green!

It wasn't that bad, why the hate?

Author: BigMaxAttacks from San Bernardino, CA
6 October 2011

I saw Green Lantern with my son because it looked safe enough and I used to collect the comic books when I was a kid. I felt like I was the only guy over 20 at the theater, which I guess isn't surprising anymore. Did think there would be more adults, however, because the Green Lantern was something we read in my generation. Not sure if it's even around anymore. Being a fan of the comic book I had to go see it, and I was intrigued with the movie. After I got home I jumped on the computer and read the reviews. I was very disappointed with the professional reviews that cast stones at it, while at the same time, regular folk like myself thought it was a pretty good stab at the DC comic book version. I guess I look for something different when I go to the movies. I go to unwind and enjoy myself for a couple of hours, and Green Lantern worked for me.

The critics are talking s*** (Spoiler Alert)

Author: Alex Gidley from Leeds
25 June 2011

Green Lantern is a great film it so didn't deserve the critical thrashing that it got I loved it not the best film of the year but non the less great. The performances were OK Mark Strong as Sinestro was a fantastic as ever his performance reminded me of his performance in Sherlock Holmes as Lord Blackwood which is a great thing Ryan Renyolds did better than expected as Hal Jordan but Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond was down right awful whenever he was on screen it detracted from the experience and which is why I can't give this film any more than 8/10 i'm just glad he dies so he cant be in the next one. Oh and by the way if you stay after the film has finished there is an extra bit which strongly hints towards a sequel so watch out for that.

At least there's a happy toy manufacturer out there...

Author: griffolyon12 from United States
18 June 2011

(To preface this, I am a Green Lantern fan, and have been for as long as I have read comic books, so on with the review.)

Some movies are made just to sell toys, and this is one of them. Underdeveloped characters, underdeveloped relationships, gaping plot holes, and a movie in a bad need of a good rewrite, plague DC Comics first cinematic foray outside the Batman-Superman franchises, making Green Lantern possibly the last DC movie other than Batman or Superman we will see for a while.

The Green Lanterns are intergalactic police officers, and Earthling Hal Jordan just so happens to be the first human chosen to join their ranks, but alas an evil is brewing in the farthest reaches of space, and Hal must learn how to master his newfound powers, or else... You probably know what will happen next.

Green Lantern wants to adhere to the superhero movie formula, but it does so with little charm, little wit, and not a lot in terms of flow from one scene to the other. Not to mention, characters come and go with no sense of where they came from or where they went when not on screen. Should we care about Peter Sarsgaard's villain, Hector Hammond? His character is not even introduced till the second act and by then it is like, "Who is this guy, and why should I care when he becomes the psychotic villain?" Then there is star, Ryan Reynolds, who obviously cared about the source material, giving Hal Jordan his all, but when you're in a movie that simply wants to try and get to the next action set piece as fast as possible so that they can satisfy the seven-year-old who is going to buy the toys, it is hard to have much to toy with (like that pun?). The action is impressive, but when the story is just a bullet point, cliff note version of the larger, more expansive mythology that this comic book character boasts, one can see why Green Lantern suffers in translation.

I give Green Lantern a 4 out of 10!

Are you kidding me???

Author: Sunny Kanagi from United States
20 June 2011

This is one of the worst superhero movie I've ever seen...

I had enough of the bad-a$$ attitude of the hero, the sad love story between the hero and his lover, experiencing the awesomeness after getting the power... haven't we all seen this in Spiderman or Superman??

The villain was shown like an idiot who is defeated by our hero in what was like a 2 minute climax(when all the experienced and smart Green Lanterns of the Universe fail to) And these Green Lanterns arrive after the hero defeats the villain, just like the Police in any Hollywood movie.

The Special Effects was so stupid and childish, even a 3 year old would mock this movie.

Acting wise Peter Sarsgaard was good. Blake Lively was pretty. Ryan Reynolds carried one expression on his face in the entire movie, he almost made Twilight actors look Oscar worthy. Tim Robins was wasted in the movie. The other Green Lanterns were hardly present.

If you want to save yourself from anger and frustration, then please avoid this movie. The critics were right to mock this movie..

this movie maybe for hardcore comic fans.. Rest all watch Kung Fu Panda 2 or Hangover 2 again....

A Likable Comic Book Movie

Author: ladymidath (ladymidath@gmail.com) from Australia
26 May 2012

I know a lot of people didn't like Green Lantern but I don't know why. It was a fun movie with a good solid lead in Ryan Reynolds. It was not as dark as The Dark Knight or V For Vendetta but that is not the nature of Green Lantern. The special effects were good and the casting was fine. Tim Robbins was well cast as Hammond as was Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond. Kudos to Mark Strong as Sinestro. I do hope they do a sequel with him as Sinestro was one of my favourite villains. All up it was a solid film and one I enjoyed immensely. Pity some people were disappointed but to be honest, I don't know what they were expecting as the film stayed reasonably true to the character and the tone of the comic books.

I enjoyed it.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
12 November 2011

Three months ago I watched the animated movie that covers essentially the same story, that of the hot-shot, sometimes irresponsible American test pilot that gets recruited into the Green Latern Corps, the several thousand who each have a sector of the universe to protect.

Here we get real people telling the story. Ryan Reynolds is the focus as test pilot Hal Jordan. He is flying a test mission to help demonstrate the advantages of a new fighter plane when he pulls a very risky move and ends up destroying the plane. Soon after he is pulled into the presence of a dying Green Lantern, who tells him "the ring has chosen you." When he is transported to the secret location, in a far corner of the universe, he is met with much skepticism.

All the other green lanterns are from races much older than the human race, and they doubt that an Earthling human has what it takes. This of course provides the drama for Hal's quest to prove himself and become what our comic books refer to as the Green Lantern.

A large obstacle is the evil monster of sorts that is absorbing the energy of others and in the process growing more powerful. Unstopped it would destroy the universe as we know it. Hal needs to become the hero that stops the monster and in the process earning his status.

Good movie, I enjoyed it.

A World Of Overreaction

Author: Matthew Dale from Australia
5 October 2011

While I admit this movie had it's flaws, I do strongly believe this movie has been vastly underrated by the public. Unfortunately Green Lantern came at a time when comic inspired novels have been done almost to death. While most done quite brilliantly (most being the operative word here) Green Lantern I believe did not live up to the expectations we now have of comic adaptations.

Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan was a great choice for the role of The Green Lantern, the character arc while helping you to understand the character of Hal Jordan was sufficient I do believe they could of well exceeded what they did.

For a story as immense as the Green Lantern I believe that the close to two hours was to short to completely describe and help understand the Green Lantern universe. The length I believe to be the biggest drawback in this movie. In my opinion the movie should of been closer to the length of The Watchmen to completely illustrate the complexity and brilliance that the Green Lantern universe really is.

For me, I believed the hype going into this movie, I had a completely closed mind and fully expected this movie to be as one critic described it "Green Lantern, The worst comic book movie ever made". Honestly I have to say that I'm glad that I read that review before viewing this movie as it made it all that sweeter when the movie went beyond all I thought it would be and greatly impressed me.

I'm sorry that this movie was received so badly because the chances of seeing a sequel have dropped and in a universe where anything is possible I think we will miss out on all that the Green Lantern franchise could be.

Page 2 of 55:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]