IMDb > Green Lantern (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Lantern

Green Lantern More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 57: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Fearless Test pilot granted cosmic Ring of power to defend the galaxy

Author: Daniel Dunkley from United Kingdom
27 June 2011

Well a lot has been written about how bad Green Lantern is some of it fair some not so fair. Its a big summer popcorn movie for the 10 year old in all of us.Ryan Reynolds is not a bad Hal Jordan he's cocky, heroic and a smart ass but i think he would have been better suited to Dc's The Flash Character not to say he does'nt give it his all to Green Lantern, OK lets start with whats not so good Martin Campbell is the Best James Bond director of the last 20 years, but outside those movies he's very hit and miss and struggles with the comic book movie film in tone, length and special Fx's and not tieing up payoffs set up early in the movie. Well you say "whats good about Green Lantern? well the creature design of the lantern corps is spot on perfect, the look of the planet Oa and best of all the scenes stealing Mighty Mark Strong as Sinsetro is pitch perfect more of him would have been great. The action scenes are short but very clever using the ring and imagination to conjure up all sorts of weapons to fight the bad guys.Its not a bad start to a very difficult comic to translate to the big screen that has to appeal to everyone.

Hey, it's great, haters can suck it!

Author: savionglovze from United States
26 June 2011

Being part of the new generation, I though it would be nice to see a new Green Lantern movie, particularly the one with Hal Jordan. He didn't come back in to comic spotlight until "Rebirth", "In Brightest Day", and "In Blackest Night" The haters are saying that this movie dragged, it was boring and it had no acting worthy of praising. Well, from a fan of many genres I was pretty open minded of this movie. Well, yes it dragged, only in a few scenes, bu they're barely noticeable, the movie was short and rushed but boring, NOT AT ALL. It was action packed, fresh, and fun to watch. I have read some reviews that it is good enough to replace the Harry Potter series. It's not good enough for that really, but it's good enough to outshine some of the deemed "horrible" movies of 2011. The acting was actually pretty fitting. Blake Lively was unbelievable as a pilot, only because she looked to fragile and pretty to be that kind of character. She looked like she has someone else piloting for her. But her acting was very fitting. Ryan Reynolds totally OWNED Hal Jordan. He played the character so well, that I can't imagine him as Flash, or any other DC character. I hope he plays Deadpool as good as he did Hal.

Anyways don't expect Pacino acting or X-men First class Grandeur. Expect memorable acting, great special effects, , eye candy, and its basically a fun family film with hidden dark undertones. It's Grandeur is similar to that of the new karate kid movie,(take that anyway as you may, but that movie was very enjoyable). So please if you want to watch a good summer movie, watch Green Lantern. But, not in 3D, it seldom shows it's 3D worthy. So, good movie, not an epic, but sure as hell entertaining.

p.s: extra scene after the credits.

Better than the critics give it credit for.

Author: termitekeith from California, USA
26 June 2011

I know this movie has been critically panned for the most part but I found it very entertaining and after all isn't that what we go see movies for in the first place.

Most of you know the story. Talented but cocky and irresponsible test pilot Hal Jordan is chosen by a dying alien to assume his role as this sectors protector by giving him a power ring and a batter to charge it with.

To me what carries this movie is one thing. The charisma and likability of Ryan Reynolds in the role of Green Lantern. He brings just the right amount of naivete and boyish charm to the role. I never lost interest in what happened to him during the entire movie.

Oh, there are a few nitpicks with it. I though Blake Lively as a test pilot was comical. She flies a fighter plane in one scene and then spends the rest of the movie in tighter and shorter dresses. The cast is excellent but not given much to do. Tim Robbins as the typical dirtbag senator and Angela Bassett as a government scientist are under utilized in my opinion. Also I thought they could have given Green Lantern better "constructs" as the other Green Lanterns call them. I mean you have all the power your imagination can come up with at your command and all you can come up with are machine guns, race cars and planes.

Oh well I said just a few nitpicks. This movie is very entertaining and charming so don't listen to the critics.

Better than we expected after reading all the critic's diatribes

Author: mitchinphx from phx, az
26 June 2011

My kids (17, 19) and I were happily surprised that this was a much better movie than we had been led to believe. The acting decent to very good from all. The special effects great (especially in 3D), and the story line was able to be followed by those who had no idea who/what GL was/is. And that's the way the movie should be made. Not everyone is a GL fan with a working knowledge of GL lore and facts. They need to fill in the story to inform people of the GL history while keeping the action up and storyline moving. In our opinion they were able to do this. We all agreed that if GL2 comes out we hope the cast will remain the same. And we will not only go see it, but bring friends. Not the best of reviews if you're looking for what happened in the movie, but I couldn't let all those negative reviews go unchallenged.

In brightest day, in blackest night, The Green lantern was OUTTA SIGHT!

Author: big_ryan15 from Australia
26 June 2011

Firstly, HUGE HUGE fan of the comic series. When i first heard the news that the "green lantern" was officially in production, i nerdgasmed EVERYWHERE. My inner geek was dancing harder than Kevin Bacon in his "Quiet place" from Footloose.

As casting news started to leak, i prayed and hoped the role would go to someone fitting of the ring of power. Jack Black out. Thank god. Common out. We don't want no Jon Stewart Green Lantern movie. Ryan Phillipe out. WIN. When i heard it had come down to Bradley Cooper & Ryan Reynolds, i couldn't have been happier. As we all know Reynolds landed the title role. Fast forward 18 months or so. After all the negative buzz i was hearing and all the poor reviews that emerged, i had lost all hope. As a true fan it truly was my blackest night. But alas, upon recently getting to watch the film (in Australia) The Green Lantern showed me his true colours. This film was exactly how i imagined it to be. Hal Jordan is portrayed so well by Ryan Reynolds, witty and charming, with a hint of egotistical douche. Even Blake Lively, whom everyone had down trodden as an actress before Ben Affleck's "The Town" shut everyone up; fits here role perfectly.

Mark Strong as Sinestro was ingenious and even Peter Saarsgaard whom i wasn't too familiar with before hand performed well. The story is as follows: Hal Jordan, nice guy, but a bit of an unreliable douchbag Crashes plane during test flight, resulting in his being grounded by friend/love interest/eye candy Carrol Ferris (Lively).

Angry at the world for wanting to know why he crashed the plane, we are shown through flashbacks of a tragic test flight accident that resulted in the death of Hal's father. Crazily cool Alien dude gets beat down by huge yellow baddie Parralax, jumps in spaceship mortally wounded and crashes to earth. Dying slowly he asks his power ring to find a successor,

Hal is basically kidnapped by said ring, taken to the feet of dying Alien and told he has been bestowed a great honour and responsibility. Awesomeness ensues as Hal is transported to the Green Lantern Corps home planet of Oa. He is trained somewhat, before awesome Mark Strong's Sinestro trash talks to human race. Feeling an outcast, Hal quits the Corps and returns to Earth. Whilst Hal is struggling to identify what it means to be a part of the green lantern corps, and what it is to be without fear, Peter Saarsgaards character Hector Hammond is called in to examine the Dead Alien from which Hal gained his ring. Remnants of Paralax remain inside the wound of the dead alien, and Hammond becomes infected with some kind of telepathic powers.

So much stuff happens and in the end it all comes down to Hal overcoming fear and putting a old fashion beat down on Paralax!

The special effects in this movie were among the best i've ever seen, and i urge you all to watch this movie. Its not nearly as bad as the wrap its getting and i rate it just below THOR. There were a few confusing parts in this movie, on most occasions its due to some shotty direction. All in all i really enjoyed myself during the GREEN LANTERN. Many people i know who aren't fans are asking me all sorts of questions and are genuinely interested in the character after seeing the film.

So much fun. 8/10 Its exactly what you'll expect it to be. BUT BETTER. PS: stay after the credits for the lead up to the sequel.

A really good superhero movie but not the best.

Author: amr_xbow from Egypt
24 June 2011

Basically, Green Lantern is a really good superhero movie, it doesn't have the best story in the world, or a complicated unfolding plot, it's pretty much straight forward superhero film.

Story: the story was good it was not too long as long as it should be, and it was not filled with Characters like other superhero movies that have a lot of characters and a lot of things going on in the same time.

Character design: the characters were designed in a good way, some of the other "lanterns" were kinda weird but I'm not to Judge cuz I wasn't really familiar with his comics.

Acting: this movie made me a fan of Blake Lively I wasn't fond of her acting before but I did like her acting, not that Gossip girl stuff!, Ryan Reynolds is a good actor and did a good job

3D: OK!.

All in all, it's a good movie, really, some people keep hating on it, I gave it a 6, it could have been way better with more work in it, but it's a good movie go see it if you're out for some fun and good time, specially if you're a fan of green lantern or Action/Sci-Fi light movies.

In brightest day...

Author: ryokan_wc from Malaysia
21 June 2011

Where should I begin? Alright, I'll start by saying that the movie isn't bad. And give my views to why it isn't all that good either.

One of the reasons why I look forward to Green Lantern was that it was a DC Comic movie adaptation and as a fan of superhero, selecting this movie at the cinema comes quickly. The movie begins with a narration of the history of the Green and Yellow Lantern Corps, with visuals that felt like playing a video game. Abin Sur, a reputable Green Lantern falls to Earth and his ring chooses its successor. Hal Jordan, played by Ryan Reynolds, comes into the story as a test pilot and he slowly discovers the ring's abilities and learns of the responsibilities of becoming the holder.

The movie has its wow moments like the test run of the fighter jets- i was holding tight to my seat as if i was flying the plane, when Hal saves a helicopter crash and when Hal eventually saves the Earth. On the whole, the effects are good. I particularly like the part when Hal recites the Green Lantern vow, and as Hal being Ryan, it was quite a funny scene. Ryan suits Hal Jordan's role like how Robert fits into playing Iron Man. He adds the comedic sense in certain scenes.

However, with all the recent, Marvel movies out like X-Men and Thor, I felt Green Lantern fails to excite as much as the others did. Comparisons are surely made, and i fear Green Lantern might be overshadowed by the other superhero movies' tremendous success. Plus, the trailer of this movie does not spark much eagerness to watch. Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively surely have good looks but unfortunately, they don't share on-screen chemistry like Iron Man and Pepper, Spiderman and MJ, Superman and Lane or even him and Sandra Bullock in The Proposal; thus making their love story somehow dull. Hal has character but it was not elaborated much. He suffers from the memory of his father but the movie lacks to bring forth and emphasize his true struggle. The climax was good, but it was short and i expected more.

In short, Green Lantern feeds on the imagination of a viewer to be a superhero. It certainly has its wow and dull moments, so enjoy and savour the best parts and forget the rest.

A beautiful movie not afraid to show the humanity of men and has fun while doing it

Author: wiyosaya from United States
14 April 2012

I have never read the comic that this movie is based on, yet after seeing the movie, I am strongly tempted to read the comic.

Personally, I think this movie was far better than any of the professional reviewers thought it was. Perhaps the bad reviews are because our society is still indoctrinated to think that men must have no fears, men cannot doubt themselves, men cannot admit to their own weaknesses, and men cannot say "I'm sorry" without, somehow, losing the essence of what it is to be a man. In my opinion, this movie portrays at least part of what modern men should aspire to. I think this is why many reviewers do not like this movie as it presents a foreign concept that is currently out of the reach of many.

Reading at least one famous reviewer's review of this movie, I have to wonder whether he even watched this movie because the movie he saw does not sound like the one I saw and that review gets lost in pseudo religiosity - in my opinion.

This movie is about Hal, the main character, discovering and recovering himself, and in the process, finding his true strength - his inner strength - something the ring saw all along even when Hal was unable to see it himself.

As I see it, this movie has fun with the superhero concept, and does not take itself too seriously. It lets the softer sides of humanity and men show through - something which many superhero movies seem like they deliberately shy away from for fear of being unmanly.

The scenes between Hal and Carol were wonderfully played, and played without pretentious male domination. In fact, Carol helps Hal better understand himself; to me, this represents a true partnership between Hal and Carol - the type of relationship that propels a couple to their greatest heights.

And just as touching is the scene with Jason Jordon, Hal's nephew.

If you are the type of man who is not afraid to cry and be emotional because you understand that doing so is part of being a healthy man, then you just might like this movie as much as I did.

I cannot, however, guarantee that you will like this movie as much as I did. I thought that this movie is one of the best superhero movies ever made - a masterpiece. I can only hope for a sequel.

great entertaining film

Author: skinnydavid9-91-220295 from northern ireland
26 June 2011

Just home from watching the green lantern, and i have to say i was really impressed. The always impressive Ryan Reynolds was great in the lead role of Hal Jordan who has been chosen as the new green lantern. This is an effects heavy movie but they are jaw dropping and some of the action sequences are totally amazing, the plots not hard to follow, i cant understand how this film is being so heavily criticized. Right from the start of the film we are taking on a real roller-coaster ride, given an in depth explanation of the green lantern corps and what they stand for. The fantastic mark strong gives great support as usual, and it was nice to see Angela Bassett in a small part. Totally recommended and i hope its not the last we see of the green lantern!!!

The kid in me like it

Author: Teo Adi from Romania
21 June 2011

Puncher line: I see a lot of negative reviews ... but they are wrong!

OK, someone can argue about actors performance, script, scenes transition between earth and space, movie length, etc.

But is this movie so bad to be rated as a mediocre B production ? I don't think so.

The kid in me like it. It has great CGI, a cheese but enjoyable main character. I mean , common, who can take seriously a green guy who can manipulate universe with the power of "will". It's a light joke, meant to be taken accordingly. When he comes, after saving his girl, to collect the anonymous kiss in the style of Batman, she sees who he is with easy, and does justice to all viewers screaming "it's just a tinny mask". This defines the movie.

Is not Shakespeare and we are not reviewing such a thing. Beside, there is no need to tell the story of the movie. What you saw in trailers is almost all there is, but is still fun enough to worth watch it.