IMDb > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Män som hatar kvinnor

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo More at IMDbPro »Män som hatar kvinnor (original title)

Page 9 of 29: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Family Money Power !

Author: George Catsicadellis (amathubagoldhq) from South Africa
15 January 2013

Set in the cold Swedish homeland we see the chilling reality of a family blinded by the power of money. Money not only brings power and the urge to dominate but it breads the decease of horror and abuse. The sins of the father affect the sons and mothers turn a blind eye as the horror continues below the false sense of hypocrisy and serenity. The Director brilliantly displays the contrast of people in power abusing the trust relationship that they have. We see the sharp contrasts between what seems and appears to be true and the true reality behind the scenes. Brilliant drama, brilliantly filmed, the coldness of the horror not only reflects through the scenery but through excellent acting as well.

1/3 "Millenium" series (Swedish)

Author: Avinash Patalay from Middle Earth
27 January 2012

Undoubtedly the audience ushering into cinemas would be as a result of hype, or better, have read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". And on both counts there's little chances of disappointment. The spirit and essence of the book is truly captured. Whilst a few unwanted tracks are avoided for the paucity of time, new dimensions are incorporated for character-depth. And it works, a big pat on the back for the screenplay.

To a large extent all the actors breath life into their respective portfolio. It cannot be refuted that Noomi Rapace ("Lisbeth") takes the top-spot as she steals the show. Mikael (Mikael Blomkvist) is next in line. The actor who played Henrik Venger comes across quite regal yet emotionally frail patriarch. The actor who donned the cap of Martin Vanger had potential to push the envelope.

The locations used in the movie is apt. Background score is engaging. The narrative used to translate the murder mystery in the book is lucid yet effective.

In the past there were Dan Brown, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and now the new word for hype is the "Millenium" series which has put Sweden on the world map. And finally it goes without saying that comparison are bound to be drawn with the American version, and one can safely profess that the Swedish version will stand to a good fight.

A great book, the film should have been longer

Author: Andy McIntyre from London
22 January 2012

One of the most exciting books i have ever read, a great movie but i am not so sure it was in the same league as the book.

It was like a compressed version with lots of information missing that i considered important.

Blomkvist had casual sexual relationships with his partner at work, one of the Vanger suspects as well as Lizbeth which added tension and excitement to the book.

When Blomkvist went to the island the reason should have been a secret to the rest of the family why he was there, they were told he was writing the family Biography, nothing to do with the unsolved murder 40 years ago.

Perhaps they could have explained how much money he would earn for just attempting to solve the murder, it would save Millennium from going bust.

Did anyone realise that Blomkvist was in prison when she went to visit him after Hedeberg and she kissed him and left hurriedly.

FYI I believe that in Sweden, you get sentenced but serve the time some time later, in this case right after solving the case.

I don't think her fellow hacker Plague was explained very well and what happened the visit to England with the other hacker?

All in all i love European movies and prefer to hear the native language as it puts me in an unfamiliar environment where i think differently. But then again I can read!

If they ever do a 3 hour version i may be tempted to watch it.

Modern-Day Noir Thriller That Pulls No Punches...

Author: dcscribe8860 from Somewhere In A Red State
19 December 2011

In his study, an elderly man opens a package marked "Hong Kong." Inside is a beautifully framed specimen of a pressed flower. He studies it closely, removes his glasses...then begins to sob uncontrollably. If you didn't know what you were watching, you'd think you stumbled into the wrong movie - a Bergmann film, maybe. But this is the deceptive opening scene to THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, a smart, uncompromising thriller that will grab you by your temples, squeeze and not let go until the very end.

The elderly man is Henrik Vanger (Sven Bertil-Taube), whose life is about to intersect with two unlikely protagonists and soon-to-become allies.

Mikael Blomqvist (Michael Nyquist) is a well-known investigative journalist, who has just been sued for libel by a big-time industrialist, and lost. Not only is he disgraced, but facing jail time. So "Kalle" Blomqvist certainly has nothing to lose, when he gets a call from none other than Vanger for the most unlikely of reasons - to help him solve the 40-year old murder case involving his niece, Harriet, whose body disappeared without a trace.

And unknown to Mikael, Vanger has had him thoroughly checked out before hiring him. A security company has been dogging his every move during and after the libel trial, and that includes having every bit of intel gathered on him by one of their most well-known 'specialists'...a master hacker and 'researcher' named Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace, who now can be seen in the latest SHERLOCK HOLMES adventure.) TATTOO is all about the circumstances that bring these three diverse characters together, while exploring a tale of twists and turns that also uncovers the darkest recesses of the human psyche. And as with every good noir thriller, it doesn't skimp on all the adult stuff: sexual assault, blackmail, torture, murder...and even worse.

Not having read a single one of the books, I am now definitely interested, but not before finishing the film series, which should be excellent if this initial entry is any indication. The cinematography is superb; the dark, brooding score complementary but not intrusive, and director Niels Arden Oplev keeps the action tight, tense and captivating in all the right places.

The most remarkable thing of all, though, are the performances of the leads. Nyqvist and Rapace are both outstanding, digging deep into the complexities of their characters (especially Lisbeth, who is not like any heroine you have ever seen in a suspense thriller for quite a while). It's also admirable that they aren't Hollywood-perfect...which has me worried about the David Fincher remake.

Because a gunfight or an explosion doesn't happen every five minutes, and it's in Swedish with English subtitles, a lot of people will probably give this a pass. Which would be a terrible mistake, because the story, direction and performances will definitely reward anyone willing to give it a shot, with one of the best 'whodunnits' to come along in years.

I think enough of this not just to award it a '9', but also to urge you, dear movie fan, to see this version FIRST, before you plunk down your twelve bucks for the big-budget studio 'makeover.' It's two hours well spent, I promise.

Like a punch to the stomach, in a good way

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
17 December 2011

Mikael Blomkvist is a staunch reporter, now facing jail-time for a fabricated exposé on a businessman. His face is everywhere, and he takes a leave of absence from his paper to avoid sullying its name with the scandal. With time before his sentence is carried out and nothing to lose, he agrees to investigate a 40-year-old murder case, where he partners up with a Goth expert hacker, Lisbeth Salander. The duo have an amusing odd couple dynamic, and in general, the characters are interesting and memorable. This is a deeply disturbing, gritty, brutal, dark film(albeit the amount of actual blood and gore is small; the sexual content is strong and plentiful). The thematic of authority figures abusing their power and particularly attacking women(the original title of Men Who Hate Women seems far more fitting than this "Dragon Tattoo" stuff, but oh well) is explored well. This has a fantastic pace, the two hour, twenty minute running time flies right by. The mystery is gripping, and it keeps you guessing whilst allowing the viewer to piece it all together as the leads do so. And the investigation isn't made easier by the entire Vanger clan being suspects for the death of, well, one of their own, so they could inherit the empire(and no two of these people can stand each other... so, really, just like any other family). That does bring me to one issue; there are entirely too many people to keep track of, specifically in this mass of potential killers. We can't remember all of them(the one aspect where that is true of this movie, and where I could see this being better as a mini-series), and it feels like a side-effect of this being a novel adaptation(I can't compare the two versions, as I have not read it), since books can spend more time delving into a large ensemble. The humor is bleak and, in a cynical way, satisfying. This has phenomenal acting, particularly by Rapace. Her role is intriguing, and you want to know more about her. This feels really credible(everyone's actions make sense) and realistic. I haven't watched this dubbed, but like I always say on this issue, deal with the subtitles. It's best in the native tongue. The DVD comes with "exclusive"(they look like the ones they showed in theatres when these were coming out) trailers for this, the second one and a teaser for the third one. I recommend this to anyone who can handle the content. 8/10

Even at 150 minutes, it still moves quickly for better or worse

Author: Movie_Muse_Reviews from IL, USA
2 February 2011

What a seemingly insurmountable task to adapt and execute the multiple story lines and brimming of Stieg Larsson's novel "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Despite all the slicing and dicing (yet still a two-and-half-hour run time), credit belongs to this Swedish filmmaking team for still managing to replicate the novel's extraordinary pacing.

The sacrifice, unfortunately, is tone. In spite of the length, director Niels Arden Oplev makes the film into a full-on sprint. We never get a chance, with the exception of the magnetizing character that is Lisbeth Salander and Noomi Rapace's performance as her, of getting under the story's or characters' skin. We barely have enough time to really understand what kind of a character Mikael Blomqvist (Michael Nyqvist) is before he's engrossed in solving the film's core murder mystery. Yet despite all those complaints, would I or anyone be able to do any better without needing to make the film in two parts? I'd like to think there's a way, but I would not volunteer the man-hours necessary to carve it out.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" tells the story of a business reporter named Mikael Blomqvist who ends up disgraced when he loses a libel suit thanks to faulty information used in an article trying to take down a billionaire. Needing to lay low, he receives a call from another rich businessman, Henrik Vanger (Sven-Bertil Taub), who offers Blomqvist ridiculous compensation to work on solving a 40-year-old mystery involving Vanger's missing niece, who he believes was murdered.

Meanwhile, Lisbeth Salander (Rapace) is an information collector (aka hacker) with a troubled past and a number of tattoos and piercings who is doing her own research on Blomqvist and ultimately ends up getting wrapped up in solving the mystery as well.

Although iffy on what it cuts from the book and what it alters, the adaptation succeeds at juxtaposing a lot of separate scenes in the novel into one sequence in the film. A common method for combining story lines and sub plots, this is particularly effective in picking up the suspense. As such, the film flows well and the key moments like the end and some pivotal events in the Salander subplot do not lack the impact or intensity that they require.

"Dragon Tattoo" moves at an entertaining clip, but never engulfs you like the novel and that will ultimately lead countless people to declare the books "so much better." The themes, tone and depth simply do not exist. I imagine some of the production elements such as cinematography and a better score come with a lack of budget too, so that doesn't help matters. Yet strong performances and entertainment value in this film do echo what made Larsson's book so wildly popular.

~Steven C

Visit my site at http://moviemusereviews.com

Enthralling, mature and reasoned drama

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
27 November 2012

I decided to go all-out and give myself the full Millennium experience by watching the TV miniseries (9 hours in total) over the space of three nights. As a result, these reviews are of the extended, three-hour editions of each film rather than the condensed, theatrical two-hour versions.

Wow. I loved it. I'm not a huge fan of the crime genre, and I haven't read the books, but THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is a difficult film to fault. It's a mature and mannered piece of film-making, dealing with adult and taboo themes and wrapping the reader up in a realistic and conscious mystery yarn.

Despite the slow pacing, the movie is thoroughly engaging. Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace are both excellent leads, bringing to life fully flesh and blood characters who engage the reader's sympathy and emotions throughout. The thriller aspects of the story are exciting and as a whole this is a mature and fully developed piece of work. Onto the next...

Much more believable

Author: Kong Ho Meng
18 November 2012

I have heard of the substantial changes in the plot from the novel's. Usually in cases like these it will cost the movie a huge rating off my list for distorting the original source material, unless it is for a good reason. But so what? Just by solely comparing this to the American remake, this is still much better as a movie, due to the following reasons: plot flow makes more sense (many things that were not conveyed properly in the American version is explained very well here), more development flow especially from the lead characters (you get to hear more of their thoughts) as compared to the 'plastic' facade of the lead characters in the American version. And setting-wise, it looks more realistic to me. Actions make more sense. For example, how the American version of Lisbeth is able to, all by herself, physically intrude upon so many P&C files, across secured buildings without much disruption or paperwork, and in such a short time, is such an imaginary James Bond-feel that will never happen in real life. In this Swedish version, her research relies more on hacking and on third parties to carry out her work. The Lisbeth in this version is less omnipresent in a way, which is in turn more believable.

It could have been better

Author: Elle Russo from Romania
13 October 2012

This movie is quite good and enjoyable only if you've read the book before , or else it's a bit confusing.Some elements were missing and the plot escalated too quick-especially in the beginning.The fact that I've read the book before was very useful-it helped me understand the movie better. The characters weren't portrayed too well and the relationships between them weren't emphasized enough.The members of the family weren't well presented as well,so you probably would have no idea who are they(unless- again-you read the book). Probably not the right place for a comparison, but personally I think the American version is better and I suggest you to watch it. This movie could have been much better if there were more details and elements you find in the book. Now,I'm not expecting it to be similar to the book,but still.... With indulgence, 7.5/10.

Dragon fire

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
15 July 2012

Haven't read the book or seen the Hollywood remake, but having recently enjoyed the likes of "Borgen" on TV I wanted to experience the Swedish original adaptation of the Stiegg Larssen best-seller (subtitled version). I wasn't disappointed. An ingeniously plotted whodunnit thriller, it cleverly sets out its stall, clues, suspects and all and weaves them all together before tying up every loose end by the final scene. It also gives us the unforgettable character of Lisbeth, the punk-ish computer hacker whose distrust and resentment against patrician older men is explained much later in the piece, at the same time completing her identification with the missing girl at the heart of the story.

Probably the most unforgettable scenes are those where she is firstly forcibly raped by her appointed guardian and even more so in the graphic scene where she takes her revenge. I was however unconvinced by her trysts with the investigative middle-aged journalist with whom she forms an unlikely alliance to crack the case, not least as we had previously seen her in bed with another female much earlier.

I enjoyed the Morse-like attention to detail in the 40 year-old mystery, based on the intense scrutiny of snap-shot photography at a town parade and the "Se7en"-like use of themed murders, where the key to the killer's motives are referenced in Biblical quotations. I can forgive this plagiarism when it's as skilfully managed as it is here. Yes, it is asking a lot to swallow that a witness on the same day so long ago would retain an insignificant picture which unwittingly contains the killer's image, but I'll give it the dramatic licence it needs, as it was still an intriguing plot device.

There's a terrific, heart-stopping climax at the killer's lair when Lisbeth comes to reporter Nvqvisst's nick-of-time's rescue immediately followed by an arresting scene where she presumably at last expunges her own demons by refusing to spare the by now helpless killer. The acting throughout is superb by the whole cast and the photography marvellously evocative of the appropriately cold desolate Swedish landscape, the setting for the horrendous crimes. The background music too was apposite and unobtrusive. I look forward to the two successors with relish even if it seems unlikely, given Lisbeth's transformation and migration to sunnier climes in the final moments.