IMDb > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Män som hatar kvinnor

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo More at IMDbPro »Män som hatar kvinnor (original title)

Page 8 of 30: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Deeply disturbing content not worth enduring for minor dramatic payoff

Author: mgorman-6 from United States
18 April 2010

'Girl' exposes us to brutal behaviors and images, serving up a revolting stew of behaviors (sexual, political, religious/ethnic violence and just plain sadism) in the service of a simple, improbable love story between an avenging Goth girl and a crusading journalist with writer's block, organized in the form of a whodunnit. The book was probably great. The movie is grisly. The actress at the center gives a game performance, but the movie never earns the right to display its endless disturbing examples of destructive human behavior by illuminating their origins or consequences in any discernible way. So it becomes, unfortunately, a kind of soft-core snuff film disguised as a suspense drama.

Excellent !!!

Author: sagrat from United States
15 August 2015

Watch this with subtitles, not dubbed! This film is so completely engaging and superb! I have read the novels (more than once) and seen the trilogy (more than once) and indeed prefer the original-language version to the one that is dubbed, and even more than the disappointing English version, which was flat, and too focused solely on the sexual aspect of this great story. Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander is amazing!! Also love Michael Bloomqvist. While Daniel Craig is indeed a great actor, and so easy on the eyes to watch, Michael is an everyman actor who give his character as Lisbeth's champion true soul. By all means, also see the Millennium TV series, too.

Hmmm...

Author: Bob An from Serbia
20 July 2015

I finished reading all three books yesterday. Actually I read 1800 pages ( 3 times around 600 pages) in less than a week. The book is GREAT! But, maybe the fact that I wanted to see the movie right away spoiled my enjoyment!

But I can say that the movie did follow all the most important things from the book and that the story is as it is in the book.

Of course, I can say that the book is 100 better than the film, but it is always like that with movie adaptations.

I do not think that the role of Michael Blumkvist was chosen right. I completely imagines him in a different way. Lisbeth role is quite good and the girl is good in her role.

This movie gets seven from me.

But if you read reviews here before watching a movie, do read the book first!

Great cinematography, acting and editing.

Author: Nicole C
26 June 2015

Having read the books quite a few years ago, I don't remember much of the details from there, but think this film greatly captures the essence of the book. It is of course, not an exact adaptation, however I did not feel that they missed much out that was crucial to the story. There are some discrepancies compared to the book though that I think are unnecessary changes. Just to note, this is the Swedish version that I watched, maybe I will watch the Hollywood one to see if it's better though I don't think it will be.

The cast for this did a good job and was a really good fit for the characters they were portraying; with the exception of one actress that I felt did not fit into the image of her character. Nyqvist does well as Blomkvist, a confident kind of gentle person with attention to detail who had a pretty good upbringing. In contrast Rapace as Salander has had a much darker life and she portrays this perfectly. Her stoic expressions and speech delivery depicts how she has that emotional barrier and makes sure not to get attached to anyone.

The story too is shrouded in darkness and reflects Salander's life. There is quite a bit of gruesome and grotesque images in the film, but fortunately it is easy to tell when it will appear so I can be prepared and avert my eyes. There is also some thriller action and the music score does well to match the mood of the scenes.

This film also had great cinematography – especially with landscapes. Lots of beautiful shots and some great aerial perspectives.

Read more movie reviews at: championangels.wordpress.com

Come on, if this isn't a ten, what is?

Author: carbuff
11 May 2015

Getting right to the point, this is brilliant. Subtitles don't bother me at all--I can read.

I can't imagine why anyone would watch anything other than the extended edition from the comfort of their home. I doubt I'll ever watch the Daniel Craig production, since inevitably it will be slick and over-produced with too much action (although this version is hardly lacking) which will spoil the atmosphere--Hollywood botches all adaptations from foreign source material.

I read almost all nonfiction nowadays, but I do read the reviews of nearly all popular books to stay in the loop. I understand why this trilogy was such a hit in the book form. I wonder if the author, had he lived, could ever have repeated this success, since it seems to be such a singular achievement.

The film has only one slightly sour point in my view, which may actually be a positive. Specifically, if I didn't know better, I would swear that radical feminists were behind this film. I'm a heterosexual male, and I realize that a lot modern entertainment is frequently criticized as being misogynist, which is likely true, although I am probably not the best judge of that. This film, on the other hand, seems to have a very strong anti-male bias to it.

There are really no foul female characters in it, but, when it comes to the "bad" male characters, they are downright vile. There are, of course, some "good" males in the film too, but the bad ones are really, really repugnant. Makes me feel kind of slimy just being a guy. I expect women are yelling, ''You go girl!" I suppose some people (radical feminists) would argue that this just reflects reality. While obviously I've got rather personal objections to that, it's not bad to see women get in a few swings of their own.

In summary, this very well-made, very feminist film with a very physically and very intellectually competent non-stereotypical multi-dimensional female lead character is very fresh and very welcome--that's a lot of verys, but it earned them all.

Kiss-ass and the Pussy Cat

Author: joncha from Round Rock Texas
30 April 2015

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish)

"Blow Up" meets "Silence of the Lambs." Who would have thought? Sweden has creepy sickos just like everywhere else. This is a who-done-it with a twist or two and main characters with issues. Interestingly, both lead actors are only part Swedish, Michael Nyqvist is half Italian and Noomi Rapace is half Spanish. Nyqvist plays a dogged reporter/detective with the personality of a teddy bear and not much common sense when it comes to opening closet doors without being prepared for what might be behind. With her Dragon tattoo and Goth persona, she still proves that a woman can be sexy even when trapped in a boy's body. Talk about a kick-ass persona!

"You order the goods. I deliver them."

Author: classicsoncall from United States
9 March 2015

I had heard of this film of course but didn't realize there were two of them. Now that I know, and after reading other reviewers who've compared the two, I'll look forward to the American version.

This was a rather engaging thriller that took the expected number of twists and turns on the way to a resolution. I found it hard to warm up to the character of Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace), but by the time she got around to dealing with her thug guardian Bjurman (Peter Andersson) she won me over. The backdrop of the Swedish National Socialists and the Nazi connection to the Vanger family provided an interesting plot element, as American films don't generally delve into that sort of territory, so that made for a fresh and different perspective.

You have to pay attention though. There are a lot of names and relationships thrown at the viewer and it's a little difficult to follow. Having learned this long ago, I generally take notes and keep them handy while watching. This film in particular, and especially with the unfamiliar sounding foreign names, could be an unexpected challenge for many viewers. However the extra effort should prove rewarding.

As the story closed I couldn't help drawing a comparison to a couple of well regarded American films. The picture closes with Lisbeth having a Kyser Soze moment transforming into a completely different persona, right after having performed a Shawshank Redemption style raid on the Wennerstrom bank account. It was a triumphant ending for a character who endured all manner of degradation while involved with the Vanger case.

Arguably as good as, if not better than, David Fincher's American adaptation

Author: sme_no_densetsu from Canada
11 February 2015

"Män som hatar kvinnor" ("Men Who Hate Women") is an adaptation of Stieg Larsson's bestselling novel of the same name, which was posthumously published in 2005. Better known to the English-speaking public as "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", it is the first entry in the Millennium trilogy.

This Swedish production, which is set in Sweden, introduces heroine Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) to movie audiences. A young female hacker with a troubled past, she aids disgraced journalist Mikael Blomqvist (Michael Nyqvist) in his investigation into a forty year old missing persons case. The circumstances surrounding the disappearance are mysterious and the facts seem to point to a member of the girl's extensive family as the culprit.

The title "Men Who Hate Women" is borne out in relation to the central mystery and also in Lisbeth's dealings with her legal guardian. The violence may be a bit much for some to take but it doesn't overshadow the well-constructed detective story that propels the movie's plot.

The acting is unquestionably highlighted by Noomi Rapace's performance, which was justifiably nominated for a BAFTA award. She excelled in the demanding role of Lisbeth Salander, working well in tandem with male lead Michael Nyqvist. The supporting cast is uniformly convincing but largely unexceptional.

In terms of production values, this fairly modest film can't really be expected to compete with the big budget American version. Nevertheless, it still manages to hold its own. Director Niels Arden Oplev may not have the visual flair of David Fincher but his work here is quite satisfactory on its own terms. Similarly, the music may not be as distinctive as the American version's but it gets the job done.

Ultimately, I found that this adaptation of the novel seems to have the upper hand in terms of both casting and storytelling. Either way, both versions are well worth watching for any fan of mysteries or thrillers, not to mention for the stellar performances of their respective leading ladies.

Well-crafted but too dark and violent

Author: Khemaluck Deeprawat (khemaluckd@hotmail.com) from Thailand
31 January 2015

I regret watching this film. Not because it is of low quality but because its message is nothing but "you should return evil with evil" and there are some scenes in the film that were so violent that I could hardly watch.

OK. I must say that the film is well-directed, well-paced, thrilling, it is a high quality suspense film if you are talking about it in terms of movie making. People can be glued to the screen because of the film made them feel excited.

Well, but if you are a person who believes in love and hope and the power of love and forgiveness, you shouldn't watch this film. Because there is little of that. The whole thing, beside investigation and mystery, is about revenge and how you should return violence with violence. It depicts evil and the fruits of evil and no real or true message about how you should deal with evil in this world beside violence. The film implicitly tell us that it's OK to kill, it's OK to beat and torture someone, if that person is already evil. It's OK to kill your father if your father abuses you. It is OK to stand and watch someone die although you can help, because that person is evil. These kinds of things are understandable but they are wrong messages to be sent into this world already full with too much evil and violence.

The main character of the film is presented as a woman hero, someone who is very strong, very smart, with a dark and hurtful past. I don't know what's the big deal about the tattoo dragon on her back either. It looks scary to me.

Noomi Rapace great discovery, terrific dreadfulness

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 January 2015

Mikael Blomkvist is the publisher of Millennium magazine. He loses a libel case brought by billionaire financier Hans-Erik Wennerström. He is setup and found guilty. He is sentenced to three months and a large fine. Lisbeth Salander is a skilled hacker hired to follow him by Henrik Vanger. Henrik is the patriarch of an old wealthy family. He wants to hire Blomkvist to investigate the disappearance of his niece Harriet who vanished in 1966. He believes that she was killed by a family member but her body was never found. Blomkvist's father used to work for the family and he visited them as a child. Lisbeth is given a new creepy guardian.

It is dark. It is as complicated as any murder mystery. It is disturbingly graphic and Noomi Rapace's performance is gripping. She's the great discovery in this movie. The nordic feel adds to the cold atmosphere. The whole movie is filled with this feeling of dread. It is truly chilling.