IMDb > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Män som hatar kvinnor

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo More at IMDbPro »Män som hatar kvinnor (original title)

Page 8 of 30: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Amazing acting

Author: lillymorris-96613 from United States
17 November 2015

The development of the characters is quite good, nothing hastily, about everyone was only discovered as much as you need to know at the given moment of. The overall impression is that I would not recommend it to anyone who wants to look good crime drama, there are several brutal scenes, which are not for everyone's taste. After this first part, I look forward to watch the sequels. Noomi, who presented a great Lisbet Solander, prepared herself for full seven months for this role. She trained hard training and was on a strict dieting, even getting a driving license for motorcycle. For her charm you will have to seek for another movie, because we see a totally transformed Noomi.

Hmmm...

Author: Bob An from Serbia
20 July 2015

I finished reading all three books yesterday. Actually I read 1800 pages ( 3 times around 600 pages) in less than a week. The book is GREAT! But, maybe the fact that I wanted to see the movie right away spoiled my enjoyment!

But I can say that the movie did follow all the most important things from the book and that the story is as it is in the book.

Of course, I can say that the book is 100 better than the film, but it is always like that with movie adaptations.

I do not think that the role of Michael Blumkvist was chosen right. I completely imagines him in a different way. Lisbeth role is quite good and the girl is good in her role.

This movie gets seven from me.

But if you read reviews here before watching a movie, do read the book first!

Kiss-ass and the Pussy Cat

Author: joncha from Round Rock Texas
30 April 2015

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish)

"Blow Up" meets "Silence of the Lambs." Who would have thought? Sweden has creepy sickos just like everywhere else. This is a who-done-it with a twist or two and main characters with issues. Interestingly, both lead actors are only part Swedish, Michael Nyqvist is half Italian and Noomi Rapace is half Spanish. Nyqvist plays a dogged reporter/detective with the personality of a teddy bear and not much common sense when it comes to opening closet doors without being prepared for what might be behind. With her Dragon tattoo and Goth persona, she still proves that a woman can be sexy even when trapped in a boy's body. Talk about a kick-ass persona!

"You order the goods. I deliver them."

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
9 March 2015

I had heard of this film of course but didn't realize there were two of them. Now that I know, and after reading other reviewers who've compared the two, I'll look forward to the American version.

This was a rather engaging thriller that took the expected number of twists and turns on the way to a resolution. I found it hard to warm up to the character of Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace), but by the time she got around to dealing with her thug guardian Bjurman (Peter Andersson) she won me over. The backdrop of the Swedish National Socialists and the Nazi connection to the Vanger family provided an interesting plot element, as American films don't generally delve into that sort of territory, so that made for a fresh and different perspective.

You have to pay attention though. There are a lot of names and relationships thrown at the viewer and it's a little difficult to follow. Having learned this long ago, I generally take notes and keep them handy while watching. This film in particular, and especially with the unfamiliar sounding foreign names, could be an unexpected challenge for many viewers. However the extra effort should prove rewarding.

As the story closed I couldn't help drawing a comparison to a couple of well regarded American films. The picture closes with Lisbeth having a Kyser Soze moment transforming into a completely different persona, right after having performed a Shawshank Redemption style raid on the Wennerstrom bank account. It was a triumphant ending for a character who endured all manner of degradation while involved with the Vanger case.

Arguably as good as, if not better than, David Fincher's American adaptation

Author: sme_no_densetsu from Canada
11 February 2015

"Män som hatar kvinnor" ("Men Who Hate Women") is an adaptation of Stieg Larsson's bestselling novel of the same name, which was posthumously published in 2005. Better known to the English-speaking public as "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", it is the first entry in the Millennium trilogy.

This Swedish production, which is set in Sweden, introduces heroine Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) to movie audiences. A young female hacker with a troubled past, she aids disgraced journalist Mikael Blomqvist (Michael Nyqvist) in his investigation into a forty year old missing persons case. The circumstances surrounding the disappearance are mysterious and the facts seem to point to a member of the girl's extensive family as the culprit.

The title "Men Who Hate Women" is borne out in relation to the central mystery and also in Lisbeth's dealings with her legal guardian. The violence may be a bit much for some to take but it doesn't overshadow the well-constructed detective story that propels the movie's plot.

The acting is unquestionably highlighted by Noomi Rapace's performance, which was justifiably nominated for a BAFTA award. She excelled in the demanding role of Lisbeth Salander, working well in tandem with male lead Michael Nyqvist. The supporting cast is uniformly convincing but largely unexceptional.

In terms of production values, this fairly modest film can't really be expected to compete with the big budget American version. Nevertheless, it still manages to hold its own. Director Niels Arden Oplev may not have the visual flair of David Fincher but his work here is quite satisfactory on its own terms. Similarly, the music may not be as distinctive as the American version's but it gets the job done.

Ultimately, I found that this adaptation of the novel seems to have the upper hand in terms of both casting and storytelling. Either way, both versions are well worth watching for any fan of mysteries or thrillers, not to mention for the stellar performances of their respective leading ladies.

Well-crafted but too dark and violent

Author: Khemaluck Deeprawat (khemaluckd@hotmail.com) from Thailand
31 January 2015

I regret watching this film. Not because it is of low quality but because its message is nothing but "you should return evil with evil" and there are some scenes in the film that were so violent that I could hardly watch.

OK. I must say that the film is well-directed, well-paced, thrilling, it is a high quality suspense film if you are talking about it in terms of movie making. People can be glued to the screen because of the film made them feel excited.

Well, but if you are a person who believes in love and hope and the power of love and forgiveness, you shouldn't watch this film. Because there is little of that. The whole thing, beside investigation and mystery, is about revenge and how you should return violence with violence. It depicts evil and the fruits of evil and no real or true message about how you should deal with evil in this world beside violence. The film implicitly tell us that it's OK to kill, it's OK to beat and torture someone, if that person is already evil. It's OK to kill your father if your father abuses you. It is OK to stand and watch someone die although you can help, because that person is evil. These kinds of things are understandable but they are wrong messages to be sent into this world already full with too much evil and violence.

The main character of the film is presented as a woman hero, someone who is very strong, very smart, with a dark and hurtful past. I don't know what's the big deal about the tattoo dragon on her back either. It looks scary to me.

Noomi Rapace great discovery, terrific dreadfulness

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 January 2015

Mikael Blomkvist is the publisher of Millennium magazine. He loses a libel case brought by billionaire financier Hans-Erik Wennerström. He is setup and found guilty. He is sentenced to three months and a large fine. Lisbeth Salander is a skilled hacker hired to follow him by Henrik Vanger. Henrik is the patriarch of an old wealthy family. He wants to hire Blomkvist to investigate the disappearance of his niece Harriet who vanished in 1966. He believes that she was killed by a family member but her body was never found. Blomkvist's father used to work for the family and he visited them as a child. Lisbeth is given a new creepy guardian.

It is dark. It is as complicated as any murder mystery. It is disturbingly graphic and Noomi Rapace's performance is gripping. She's the great discovery in this movie. The nordic feel adds to the cold atmosphere. The whole movie is filled with this feeling of dread. It is truly chilling.

Great film, but not for the faint of heart

Author: Hypnotica from California, USA
4 January 2015

Adapted from the book, this film is brilliantly executed, as are the sequels.

The story follows the stories of Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander as their lives become intertwined around the investigation of the murder of a 16 year old girl 40 years earlier.

The character of Lisbeth, a young goth-punk hacker, is a fascinating one. A tiny woman with a lot of attitude who is looked down upon by everyone and taken seriously by almost no one and certainly not cared about by many. She is, however, incredibly intelligent, full of fire and distrustful of everyone. With good reason.

The casting of Noomi Rapace is both brilliant and inspired. A rather small woman with a surprisingly strong presence and immense talent to play the shockingly resilient and strong-willed Salander.

The murder mystery being investigated is full of twists and has a shocking conclusion. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

However, this film is extremely graphic. There is a lot of nudity, violence and material that may make some viewers very uncomfortable. This includes a brutal rape scene. And a scene where the rapist is very fittingly punished by his victim. Sexual abuse in general plays a prominent theme throughout the story. It can be difficult to watch at times. I don't think I need to say that this is not a movie for kids to be watching.

As a whole, though, I would highly recommend this film. Preferably the extended edition. Now, it is in Swedish, so it is subtitled. There is a dubbed version available, but we all know that the lines tend to lose something in translation.

A diamond in the rough

Author: Adam Centurione from Canada
14 December 2014

Considering I originally thought this was a Tarantino film, I was pleasantly surprised. It is not a Tarantino film, and is in fact, a good drama/ thriller, a genre in which I have recently gained interest in.

Lisbeth Salander is a great character. the movie portrays her involvement in Mikhail (I don't know his last name) investigation on the disappearance of a teenage girl.

Through a few twists, rude and satisfying scenes, the movie captures the watchers attention. Within the drama there are insights into contemporary social and political issues, as well as historical ones.

Not bad, but somewhat disappointing...

Author: buiger from Monaco
29 November 2014

Contrary to most, I have to say that I expected much more from this movie. Having read the book(s), which I believe all to be masterpieces of their genre (especially this one, the first one of the series) I was really looking forward to seeing this film. Alas, I was somewhat disappointed... Not that this was a bad, poorly made film, because it isn't. It is however, nowhere near in bringing to the viewer the plot, the atmosphere and the emotions of the book (which is often the case with the filming of great books). Having said that, I must also say that the filmmakers eventually 'found their way' when making the second and third installments of the series, which where much, much better than this first movie in the trilogy.

Now I am looking forward to seeing the Hollywood version of this book, hoping for the best...