IMDb > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Män som hatar kvinnor

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo More at IMDbPro »Män som hatar kvinnor (original title)

Page 6 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

An excellent adaptation

Author: freemantle_uk from United Kingdom
3 September 2011

The Millennium Trilogy has become a publishing sensation, selling millions of around the world and made its author Stieg Larsson a household name after his death. A film adaptation was always going to be in high demand and the Swedish version is to make a feature film of the first novel and TV adaptation of the other two novels and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is one of the most successful Swedish films to date.

Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) is a journalist who has been sued for libel and sentenced to three months in prison. With his reputation in tatters a major industrialist, Henrik Vanger (Sven-Bertil Taube) hires him to investigate an old mystery, the disappearance of 16-year-old great-niece Harriet (Julia Sporre). What makes the mystery even deeper is that it happened on an island that had no access to the mainland, no body was ever found and the Vanger family is distrustful, hateful bunch, so murder seems likes the only explanation. Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) is a skilled private investigator and a computer hacker and she has a very dark and troubled pass. A sadistic lawyer, Nils Bjurman (Peter Andersson) has control over her finances and Lisbeth has to find a way to neutralise him. Both Blomkvist and Salander are brought together and investigate what happen to Harriet, finding that something much bigger has been going on.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a great novel, a real page turner making the reader really wanting to find out what happens next. Niels Arden Oplev and his writing team really a really great job at adapting the novel. If you are a complete purist you will never be happy with film adaptation but The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo does not cut much out, only a few subplots and change a few elements to avoid the film being over loaded with characters. The only changes that really cause any problems are the offer to Blomkvist for him to take what is a seemingly thankless job, his relationship of his daughter and his distrust of religion and some elements involving the business of Millennium which becomes important later in the series. But these are fairly minor and the film does a good job at getting round these issues.

Oplev certainly made a stylist thriller and for a film that is 2 hours, 20 minutes long, he made sure that his adaptation was a tense, fast pace affair. Scenes of particular note are when Lisbeth are with Bjurman, where you could cut the tension with a knife because of the strong interplay by Rapace and Andersson and Oplev handling behind the camera. This is a dark moody film, filled with great acting throughout. The cast really fitted their roles being very much like their counterparts in the book. Anderson was particularly creepy as Bjurman and Rapace had a lot of fight in her as Lisbeth. Nyqvist made a really good Blomkvist and I want to see what The actors in the Hollywood version have a lot to live up to. Oplev made sure that his version is very hard hitting film but so is the book and Larrson did not hold back. Everything worked in this film, the music, the editing, the cinematography and art direction. It is a well made adaptation.

One criticism I have of the books is that I find some of Larrson's characterisation of some of his villains. In The Girl in the Dragon Tattoo it was very complex and believable about how sadists, rapists and serial killers are like, but later on Larrson goes for big conspiracy theories about big business and Security Services and most of the bad guys are hate women, blaming them for all their problems. There is also Larrson's politics, pretty much everyone good is centre-left, no one is even mildly conservative and Larrson has a real disrespect for the centre-right. I have same problem with Tom Clancy who idealises Ronald Regan and most the Republican party and vigilantes and anyone who is a Democrat or a peace activist or supports anything the Republicans disagrees with is a someone who wants to hold back or destroy America and the West: rant over!

first movie of millennium-trilogy

Author: pasi-marttonen from Finland
25 July 2011

I'm not going to tell what is going to happen on the movie, I don't want to spoil it. But I'll give you a hint, get all 3 movies and arrange that it is possible to watch them all at one day (takes about 9-10 hours), just in case because when you start watching it is possible that you cannot stop watching. That happened to me, it was so exciting that I had to watch them all before going to bed. I've seen about 4000 movies and this trilogy and all the 3 movies are one of the best I've seen. All the three movies are really perfectly connected to each other and it is impossible to know what is going to happen next. I Just cannot understand why they haven't give a Oscar for this movie. You can compare this to the lord of the rings or Rocky-movies but in this trilogy the story continues in next movie and I can imagine how hard it must have been to edit the movies so that the intensity stays continuously. They succeeded perfectly. If you haven't seen this movie or the trilogy before, buy it no matter what is the price, You'll get good value for your money. I watched trilogy yesterday for the first time and now i'm going to do it again. That should tell you something...

Surprised and breathless.

Author: Rubens Junior from Brazil
25 June 2011

I'm from Brazil and I never heard anything about this story, nor the Millennium trilogy or anything about it till one day I was caught reading some news about David Fincher's new movie which is entirely based on the original 2009's Swedish movie based on Stieg Larsson's novel 'Men Who Hate Women' (Män som hatar kvinnor, 2005). From that moment on I looked for more information about it, read everything I could find and the more I was informed about, the more I was curious about.

Finally I could have the possibility to get the entire original movie trilogy to watch before watching any American version that are set to be release, or even trailers. Today I've watched the first one and I'm breathless. It's one of the best investigation/crime movies I've seen. Its impressive, well constructed, edged plot is really intense. The characters are also edged, full of interesting psychological layers, completely out of what is usually created. The story is extremely well developed and all the parallel stories withing the main plot are tied amazingly, being easy to follow even with its complexity level. I mean, there are no unnecessary twists or red herrings that American movies usually have just to play with the audience, the main plot lead us to the subplots with no efforts because the effective screenplay and direction naturally hold our attention in a full-circle story, guiding us from a defined beginning thru a fully coherent and satisfying ending.

The acting level is another top thing. Michael Nyqvist as Mikael Blomkvist and Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander are responsible for entire movie effectiveness, both are completely different from each other, but at the same time their chemistry is amazing and their relationship may be complex but understandable. At first impression Noomi Rapace's character may seems awkward and move with all of our inner prejudices, but then you're intensely touched by her past and story and her difficulties to adapt herself into a harsh world and that's when you finally realize once again that prejudice isn't the best judging tool for anything.

Every single scene in the movie has its reason to happen and that is impressive and refreshing for those ones that are tired and so used to American movies filled with empty scenes. It's a movie with some disturbing images, but as I said before, it's effective and necessary for the development of the characters and also for the deepness of the story.

Now I can understand David Fincher's reasons to make an American version of the trilogy, not because since Seven (1995) there wasn't so many interesting thriller movies, but because 'Män som hatar kvinnor' not only can be easily the best one since Seven but maybe better than Fincher's classic. But really, I can't understand the reasons for an American version when the original Swedish one is superb, with an extremely top notch production. So I hope Fincher doesn't overdo the elements that the original retained in the exact doses, but unfortunately we can expect an extremely cleaner version.

After watching the first part of the Millennium trilogy, I'm much more excited to watch the other two parts.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo And The Wrongfully Accused Journalist Are On A Roll To Find Answers

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
8 March 2011

Based on Stieg Larsson's popular novel, 'Män Som Hatar Kvinnor' (aka 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo') is a thriller that engages and keeps the viewer at the edge of the seat. The execution is solid the cinematography captures the beauty and mystery of the Scandinavian landscape and showcases each frame, the score contributes and sound effect is brilliant. The editing is mostly slick but there are a few times when the film moves slowly.

The film touches various issues from hacking to sexual abuse and discrimination against Jews post the Second World War. None of them are explored fully as this isn't an issue-based film but it adds to the mystery and the story has enough grit and the characters are well written enough to involve the viewer. There are many twists that support the story in uncovering the layers.

The overall performances are good. Michael Nyqvist does a fine job as Blomkvist, the wrongfully accused journalist who encounters a second chance to do right. Noomi Rapace is the star of 'Män Som Hatar Kvinnor' as she is outstanding as she displays tremendous depth in a restrained performance.

Having not read Larsson's popular novels, 'Män Som Hatar Kvinnor' succeeds as a stand alone thriller. It is longer than the standard 90 minutes but that doesn't matter if a film is well-crafted and the story is well told.

Smart thriller

Author: sergepesic from Minneapolis, USA
7 March 2011

One of the greatest sensations in the last decade of the mystery writing are three rich, thick novels written by Steig Larsson, Sweedish reporter who unfortunately, soon after giving his books to the publisher, passed away at the age of 50 from heart attack. These novels are a special treat. They contain all the required norms of the successful mystery, but they are much more than that. They are the witness to the increasing complexity of the mad world we live and suffer in.His characters possess the rare richness and truthfulness. They are brave and scared, good and evil or all of the above in the right situation.This movie gives justice to the remarkable legacy of the far to soon gone writer of rare talent and integrity.

This is entertainment

Author: jayleshd from United Kingdom
17 April 2011

Really great trilogy of movies. This one being the first one in the set of three. The Girl who Played with Fire and The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest are equally as good.

I really enjoyed this series of movies, one following on from the other and giving the viewer the trials and tribulations of Lisbeth, the main character.

The stories, originally adapted from the novels, have been excellently put on film and the detail is great if one hasn't time to read.

The characters and very cool, exciting and different. Each character is likable and bring the stories together. Each most importantly has a purpose in the film and so does each scene - unlike most modern films.

The plot of the movie is different and I'm just waiting for a Hollywood production company to snap up the rights to this film - and I for one hope this doesn't happen.

Swedish it is and it should remain as it is a cornerstone in great film making for the country. Yes - it is in Swedish, do not let that put you off.

Try to watch the trilogy all together if possible, as once the first one is over you will be wanting to know what happens with Lisbeth and her new friend Mikael.

Highly recommended film that has seen success even after the Swedish film Lat Den Ratte Komma In.

Excellence

Author: Bolesroor from New York, NY USA
27 February 2011

"The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" is a rich, suspenseful mystery that sucks you in from the opening seconds and does not let go for the next two and-a-half hours.

The problem with most mystery films is that there's no mystery at all: clichéd characters, uninspired acting, a paper-thin plot and a lack of genuine suspense. This film is the exact opposite.

First, the acting. Noomi Rapace is brilliant as Lisbeth Salander, a brutish hacker with a violent past, and Michael Nyqvist is perfect as Mikael Blomkvist, a magazine reporter who's been framed by a dirty industrialist. Neither of the two leads ever hit a false note... they're not just characters, they're real people with elaborate back-stories and wonderfully complex personalities.

The case of Harriet's disappearance is so challenging that the film never dwells on Lisbeth and Mikael's emotions; the satisfaction comes from watching them try to deal with their personal issues while they chip away at a mystery so deep it almost consumes them. Every time they solve a piece of the puzzle they find five more pieces, and the story behind the Vanger family tree is so layered- and twisted- that there's almost not enough time to cover it all in one movie.

Every minute of the film is thrilling: it's directed with a focused urgency, an immediacy that keeps the tension high but never feels manipulative... the two and-a-half-hours feel more like forty-five breathless minutes. The result is a magnetic watchability- "Godfather"-like- that is almost hypnotic, the stuff of great cinema.

I'm very difficult to please when it comes to movies, but this was one of the most substantial, exciting films I've seen in years. Acting, story, suspense... "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" is a triple-crown winner, and an excellent movie not to be missed.

GRADE: A

The Millennium Trilogy:Part 1.

Author: morrison-dylan-fan from United Kingdom
9 January 2011

When I was looking at the selection of films that were available at the local BlockBusters that a friend of mine has recently joined,I instantly noticed the cover to a film that I wanted to view right away,called The Girl who Played with Fire.But,due to a friend of my dads telling me that it was the second part to a film that had the very intriguing title of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,I decided to take the risk of getting both parts that are currently out at once,with hardly knowing anything about the highly-praised novels or characters.After having seen this two and a half hour epic first film,I feel that it is one of the best film- related decisions that I have made in the last few years... The Plot:

After having lost a huge court case,over articles printed in Millennium magazine about arms trading, investigative journalist,and Millennium editor Mikael Bloomkvist decides to stay underground,in hopes that if he does go to jail,the Millennium magazine wont fold.How ever,during the Christmas period Mikael gets a phone call,from an old family friend asking him to come visit him.When Bloomkvist arrives,he is told that a girl who used to babysit him was kidnapped decades ago.With the man telling Mikael that he has tried everything that he could do to find her,but he now feels that the only option that he has left is to ask Bloomkvist to look at the case.Meanwhile,a goth Cyber Punk called Lisbeth Salander has been given a job at hacking into Mikaels computer,to look into his activates.When she discovers the case that he is working on,Salander starts sending Bloomkvist cryptic E-Mails.Due to Mikarel surprisingly,being easily able to find her IP address,he goes to visit Salander,to tell her to stop hacking into his computer,and to instead work with him as a partner.Although she is at first very hesitant to, (due to having experience a lot of abuse from men in her life)Mikarel slowly starts to build up a working (and trusting) relationship with Lisbeth.Although they both soon discover,that what seems to be a one missing person case,is in fact something a lot more disturbing... View on the film:

The people who I think glow the most (like a new tattoo) with this film.are,the screenwriters Rasmus Heisterberg and Nikolaja Arcels.Whoses amazing screenplay makes the very twisting story in the film, impossible to pause from for even a minute.And though I do have to say that the original title that author Stieg Larsson gave to the book,was not exactly the most subtle title that I have ever heard (Men who hate Women-which is one of the main issues that the film series looks at)The script has a very strong amount of subtlety,with some of the main clues to the ending of the film being put right at the very beginning of the film,which are more noticeable on repeat viewings of the movie. With the murder mystery of the film, I strongly feel that this astonishing screenplay, is one of the most thrilling stories that I have seen this year, with all of the cyber hacking parts, not being filled with time wasting made-up techno babble,and the clues in the film to the murderer (such as one of the best parts in the film being the "moving images" section)being completely gripping.

From the very first moments of the film,I was instantly struck by the performance of Noomi Rapace as Lizbeth Salander.In an interview with her on the DVD (that I watched after the film) I was shocked to see how much of a physical change Rapace had done for the role,with her beautiful feminine appearance,being replaced by a very masculine,Gothic look.Along with her impressive physical change,Noomi gives a stunning performance,by always smartly making sure that Lizbeth never turns into a "woe is me" kind of character,but instead is someone who is damaged,yet extremely determined to ruin the people that tried to destroy her.Whilst Rapace is understandably praised,I feel that the performance of Michael Nyqvist as Mikael Blomkvist is very under rated.Whilst there are a few things that the character does that feels a bit out of place (Im not that sure how many investigated journalist would know how to handle a gun)Nyqvist does a great job at showing Mikael not looking down on Salander,or trying to be some sort of "uncle" to her. Instead,he makes the characters investigation skills something that is very focus and précis.The relationship that Blomkvist has with Lizbeth,is performed by Nyqvist impressively not as condescending,but as someone who seems to be really trying to get Salander to see that he really wants her to have a stable friendship with him,and that he treats her as an equally to himself.Although there are a few signs that he may be looking for something with her,that is more than a "friendship".

Although the film does feature some violent,or very aggressive moments (Slaanders meetings with her "welfare officer",are easily the most disturbing parts in the film.)Impressively director Niels Arden Oplev,does a fantastic job at making the nastier parts of the film never feel out of place,or not being related to the characters struggles.Instead,the scenes help to show (especially in the last half an hour of the film) how Lisbeth and Mikaels partnership,completely complements each character individually,and as a whole.One of the most surprising scenes in the film for me was the sex scene,with Opley doing a clever role-reversal,by having Bloomkvist be the one who seems to have at least a little bit of a desire for there relationship to now become a bit more personal,whilst Salander treats the time that they slept together,as not that important,and as normal as making a cup of tea!.Also,I have to say that the voice dubbing with the film,is by far the strongest and most natural sounding dub that I have ever heard for a film. Final view on the film:

An astonishingly gripping mystery-thriller,with a fantastic script,stunning performances of unforgettable characters all done with great directing by Oplev.

Awesome

Author: filmbuff1000000 from United States
12 December 2010

this is by far one of the best foreign films I've ever seen. i love Noomi Rapace and she is very talented and very pretty. I'm looking forward to seeing her in the next Sherlock Holmes film. i think she will do a great job. after she did nail this the role of Lisbeth Salander. I bet when she met the producers for this film she must have said this or should have said this: Bitches, i know i can be Butch, Badass and play a woman doesn't take Bullshit. I'm very horny for this role and I'm gonna go ALL the way. Im gonna learn kick boxing, cut my hair, pierce my self and dress like in goth. When I'm done i say saddle up producers cause you're in for the movie making experience of your life.

great film

Author: missdecision from United Kingdom
12 November 2010

This is a great film and deserves to be rated higher. I am very fussy about films but was captivated by the whole trilogy - if you like the first film then it is well worth watching the next two as well. The acting is subtle and not overplayed, and there's no dramatic music and cheesiness that you get in your usual dose of US blockbuster - it is a genuine thriller and great to have such a strong and multilayered female character. The very last scene at the end of the third film ("the girl who kicked the hornets nest") sums up the whole three films. Why oh why are they doing a remake with Daniel Craig, what a mistake, the original is excellent and perfectly fine to watch with subtitles.