IMDb > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Män som hatar kvinnor

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo More at IMDbPro »Män som hatar kvinnor (original title)

Page 5 of 30: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A disappointment for those who have read the book

Author: dim_b from Peru
31 January 2010

I was really surprised that this movie got an average 7,8/10 from more than ten thousand viewers, many of whom must have read the book.

I cannot decide if it is due to the fact that I have read the book and liked it very much. Or to the Swedish acting style (I can reject this theory because I have already seen excellent Swedish films. Older ones and recent ones).

But, people, this movie sucks.

a) Acting is superficial and wooden. The only one who tries to do something, but finally does not succeed, because the others don't help, is Noomi Rapace.

b) The story advances hastily, trying to fit 550 pages into two hours and something. It gives you the feeling that it develops unnaturally and the impression that the filmmaker just took the scenes from the book one by one and "translated" them into film, without caring to connect them in a cinematic way. The language of cinema is completely different. If you don't know the rules, better don't do it.

c) There have been important changes in the story, but they really don't make things better. But don't worry, Sex and Violence scenes are all there, nothing is missing!

d) The technical part (photography,atmosphere, music) is well executed. But this impression lasts only as long as the actors don't start talking.

It is really a pity.

Author: WoodBangers Entertainment from United States
30 November 2013

This version being the original is perfection, the US version makes me weak to my stomach. We have a lot of upsetting personal feelings about Hollywood taking this version being a beautiful work of art, and destroying it's flair by making the cheaply crap based Hollywood version remake. I have written many articles on this specific version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and each time I go to see more on this movie online, I see that the US Hollywood Crap version seems to be the first in the searches. Yes this film has subtitles, but the acting, and story-line are of the highest quality. Hollywood cannot conceive the understanding of artistic values, or original creativity they only take from others and destroy the art in cheap remakes. Noomi Rapace is by far an incredible actress, I've watched almost every film she has been in. I also watched every film that starred Rooney Mara which is extremely un- impressive. Rooney Mara is the new Christina Ricci, and in acting abilities it is impossible for her to take the staring role of The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo even in a remake and make it anything realistic. We've written a huge discussion on this film and the rest of the series on our official website. Due to what Hollywood did with this film, and many others; it is if they are just trying to find someone else work and ripp it off.

A true-blooded crime thriller

Author: inside7thart.blogspot.com from Croatia
10 January 2013

A true-blooded crime thriller with a good dark atmosphere and very strong story, which certainly is not something unseen in the world of detective fiction, but it comes as a refreshment given to contemporary film offer. Wealthy tycoon Henrik Vanger hires controversial journalist, Mikael Blomkvist, to investigate disappearance of his niece, which happened 40 years ago on the island wholly owned by Vanger family. Blomkvist was sentenced to three months in prison for planted libel against corrupt entrepreneur so Vanger decides to investigate him before hiring. Lisabeth Salander gets the job of investigating Blomkvist but she continues to monitor his computer after the job was done. So, after she sees his new job for Vanger she starts helping him, firstly indirectly and soon directly. Their investigation leads to revelations of dark secrets Vanger family. Although plot is relatively simple, characterization of main characters is thorough which is not strange since this movie is just first in trilogy. In simple words, movie is very good, without both positively and negatively extremes. Perhaps some viewers will not like politicking, and the story certainly could pass without the Nazis, but all in all screenplay seems solid. Acting is at a high level, and there are no big objections on directing. Noomi Rapace that embodies Lisbeth is fantastic, but the rest of the cast is not far away. Perhaps the most remarkable is the atmosphere, which is a typical Scandinavian strong, cold and dark and it suits to story perfectly. The very end is a typical Hollywood and serious viewers will probably feel bitterness because the story had great potential to go in a more interesting and original way.

Well done!

Author: trish-63 from United States
15 December 2011

I thought this movie was a well done adaptation of the book! The way I had imagined the characters, buildings, countryside, offices etc while reading all were very similar to how they were portrayed in the movie. However, I'm wondering how much I would have liked it had I NOT read the books. I feel that movie adaptations often leave out a lot of "back-story" and when you add that to having to read subtitles (which seemed very basic) - I really felt I knew more about the story than those who never read the books. I'm not sure if that makes sense, I just think I enjoyed the subtitled movie more because I had read the books. This movie is NOT for kids, or for watching on your iPad on the plane! Some very disturbing scenes.

See for Lisbeth Salander alone.

Author: toll-8 from United Kingdom
8 November 2011

Based on the novel of the same name, this film follows three characters as they intersect each other's lives. Mikael Blomkvist (Nyqvist) is a journalist who has just been sentenced to three months in prison after claims of libel from a corrupt business tycoon. Blomkvist believes he has been set up but nothing helps his case. He is given six months to handle his affairs before being locked away. Henrik Vanger is an elderly man who receives framed, dead flowers once a year from an unknown source. The flowers used to come from his niece who disappeared forty years ago and Henrik believes she is dead. He has never given up hope on finding her and hires Blomkvist to look into her disappearance to give him piece of mind, especially since he still receives the flowers. Blomkvist accepts this last job before he goes inside.

Next we introduce the most intriguing movie character I have ever seen, Lisbeth Salander. A socially inept lesbian with short hair, nose, ear and lip piercings and tattoos draped across her back and arms. She is the girl of the title. She is introduced as a researcher who is secretly photographing Blomkvist during his trial. Also being an expert computer hacker she is hacking into his computer so she can see what he sees. After having a troubled up bringing she is left in the care of a guardian, with her Mother in a hospital. Her new guardian however attempts to blackmail her for sexual favours, before savagely raping her, something she manages to film and gain revenge on by tattooing this man's chest. These scenes are some of the most harrowing I have seen and expertly filmed.

During his investigation, Blomkvist is sent an email from Lisbeth which helps him with the clue he is struggling to solve. After this he recruits her to aid in his investigation. This is where the film really gets its wheels. From here on in we dive into a world of family conspiracy, incest and rape and the battle of vulnerable women against controlling men. I did not realise that this is what this film was about. Those of you who have read the book will but those who haven't will get a bit of a shock.

I have to say I struggled to get into the beginning of this film. Many have told me that to enjoy the book you have to persist with the first fifty pages and once you do the book gets a hold of you. I felt this was definitely the case with the film also. It took a while for it to get going and considering it is subtitled I found myself becoming a little switched off. However I'm glad I didn't as once I had got past that section I was gripped. When Blomkvist and Salander finally meet, the film really gets going. Before that seems too long and at that point of the film I thought that too but now I have finished it I realise how important it was in giving insight into the characters, especially Lisbeth.

The plot of the film is nothing to shout about but where the film really grips you is the characters. OK maybe not characters but character. Blomkvist is a little dull and not your typical hero and considering the title of the film, I was surprised to see him be the main character. Lisbeth on the other hand is intriguing. I want to know more about her, even know. Very little is told and the character alone keeps you hooked on the film. She is bigger than the entire plot and she makes you take notice whenever she is on screen. Noomi Rapace is fantastic as her and even manages to give a Gothic woman covered in piercings and tattoos a very sexy edge. The chemistry between the leads is great and the relationship is not clichéd in the slightest.

I don't want to say too much about this film as it is one you really have to see. Get past the first twenty minutes and the subtitles and enjoy the characters on that screen. Lisbeth Salander is fascinating. She is to be played by Kate Mara in the American remake and she has a hell of a pair of shoes to fill. There is so much to enjoy in this movie and 'she' is a character you will all enjoy watching.

The film is definitely for adults only with scenes of violence, rape and bondage but the excellent direction and cinematography handles it all tastefully although they are a little harrowing. The performances in these scenes are just fantastic. I can't state this enough: go and watch this movie.

The girl with awesome tattoo- a dark mysterious well made crime movie

Author: teajel from Indonesia
21 July 2010

Girl with dragon tattoo comes as a good mystery film that full of suspense and thriller and with a excitement like a b-movie this ambitious mystery crime drama also delivered it with an unique and interesting central character that deeply acted by a tremendous actor

The story follows  a ambitious journalist named Mikael Blomkvist, a journalist who worked for the magazine Millennium, lost a libel case brought on by corrupt Swedish industrialist Hans-Erik Wennerström. The magazine & he were ordered to pay for damage and Blomkvist was due to head for prison in the next few months.

While waiting to serve his sentence, Blomkvist was approached by Henrik Vanger's representative. After some hesitation, he came to see Mr. Vanger, the frail & wealthy octogenarian of The Vanger group, who lived in a remote island, surrounded by other family members' houses.

It turned out Mr. Vanger wanted to hire Blomkvist to unearth the truth behind his niece Harriet's apparent murder some forty years ago when she was sixteen. Although her body was never found, Mr. Vanger believed it was murder because that day there was an accident on the only bridge that linked the island with the mainland. The bridge was closed, nobody could get out & nobody could get on the island. Yet, Harriet just vanished into thin air. There's not a day gone by which Mr. Vanger didn't think about her.

Before going to the island to see Mr. Vanger, Blomkvist didn't know that he was being followed & photographed by Lisbeth Salander, a punk who made a living as a computer hacker.

The young woman had problems of her own. Due to crime committed in her youth ( later we learnt that when she was much younger, she had set fire to a man, presumably her abusive father, in a car ), she had to report to a guardian who controlled her money. One day, he forced her to give him a blow job or else he threatened to accuse her of causing trouble and have her put into a psychiatric hospital.

When Blomkvist found out his PC had been hacked into he was able to trace back to Salander & came to her place. He persuaded her to collaborate with him in the investigation of Mr. Vanger's niece. Together they dug up more troubling and disturbing information. The story of course was perfectly written with a lot of twist in it and make it mysteriously dark disturbing at some point making this a really good crime movie with it's own charm. And also with a weird chemistry that later builds between  Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth salander that also make the movie more exciting and fun in a bizarre way make the movie character looks like a dark moody and bizarre version of starsky and hutch.    I really recommend this to anybody who like a crime drama movie with an interesting central character and with an acting that really lives up the movie this is really a must watch crime drama on it's own creativity

The Millennium Trilogy off to a 'fiery' start!

Author: joben-525-633946 from United Kingdom
14 December 2012

Niels Arden Oplev coheres together an excellent re-telling of Stieg Larrson's first novel in 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' collection.

The ambiance is certainly dark throughout however atmosphere is lighted with the occasional use of black humour. In all fairness, 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' is certainly a disturbingly atmospheric novel to place on the big screen and this makes the movie difficult to view in certain areas.

The narrative is fairly simple as a Swedish journalist (Michael Nyqvist) is on hand to help a desperate old man (Sven-Bertil Taube) re-ignite a search for his daughter, 40 years after her disappearance. As her personal life gets on top of her, Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) stumbles across journalist Mikael and forms a partnership in a bid to assist him in his investigation.

The story maybe decent however is often rather bloated and isn't as engaging as it could perhaps be. Also, the film is rather worded; this isn't always a negative however it is considering it's duration stretches over two and a half hours.

The anchoring of the film is down to the chemistry between Nyquvist and Rapace. It ranges from various things such as their awkwardness at fist, their ability to work as a team and their differences in personalities which add a darkly comedic factor to a rather adult themed tale.

Another recommendable feature is the concluding half an hour which ties everything up sufficiently well and injects a essence of energy to the affair.

All in all, superb characterisation and on-screen chemistry from the leading cast members as well as a fitting conclusion make 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' a fabulous if gritty watch. Had it not been let down for its frequently slow pacing and familiar plot, it would have scored higher.

Excellent in all areas of filmmaking

Author: zconnor from United States
27 August 2012

Without having read the book at the time of watching this incredible movie, I found it very stunning. The movie grips you from the beginning and doesn't disappoint as it moves through a complicated story. The movie doesn't shy away from graphically explaining the elements and harshness of the stories many plot lines from intersecting in a twist of movie making greatness. Noomi plays Lisbeth so close to the book that you think Steig wrote her character with Rapace in mind all the way. The best part of the movie is that you can then move right into the sequels without having to wait. Thankfully, the Swedish makers didn't wait in between films and released all three in the same year, 2009. The makers of the movie also did not dilute the movie or 'dumb it down'. It's an excellent movie based on some very disturbing themes.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
17 June 2012

Shortly after receiving a six month jail sentence, which he won't start serving for six months, journalist Mikael Blomkvist receives an interesting job offer; Henrik Vanger, an elderly man, wants him to investigate the disappearance, and presumed murder, of his great niece who was last seen when she was sixteen in 1966. He is convinced that the killer must still be alive as somebody is sending him pictures of flowers each birthday just as she did; clearly somebody out there is taunting him. Before hiring him Henrik had Blomkvist checked out by a security company who employed young hacker Lisbeth Salander to investigate him; she continues to show an interest in him and follows his investigations by hacking his laptop. She makes an important breakthrough and contacts him; after that they join up and continue an investigation that unearths murders of women going back to the '40s, Nazi sympathisers within Vanger's family and ultimately the realisation that the killings have not stopped and they are in grave danger.

That covers the core mystery but almost as important is Lisbeth's back story; we learn early on that she is in the official custody of a state appointed guardian who has the power to have her sent back to a psychiatric unit if she doesn't do what she is supposed to. When given a new guardian he uses this authority to force her into performing sexual favours and ultimately, in a particularly gruelling scene he rapes her. She shows her strength by later turning the tables on him; it isn't for some time though that we learn what her original offence was.

Having watched several Scandinavian TV dramas in the last few years I was keen to see this film; I must say I was not disappointed... although I do wish the subtitles had been a little larger! At two and a half hours it isn't a short film but I never found myself looking at the clock as the time flew by. The characters were great; particularly Blomkvist and Lisbeth; actors Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace did a fantastic job bringing the characters to life. The mystery itself was gripping and there were a few edge-of-seat moments when it looked as if one of the investigators might not survive. There are a couple of particularly gruelling scenes of a sexual nature, that earned the film its '18' certificate, which might put off some viewers however if you can get through those there isn't anything else too disturbing. Aside from having great characters and an interesting mystery the film looks great with beautiful Swedish winter scenery. I can't say how good an adaptation of the book this is or how it compares to the more recent English language remake but I'd certainly recommend it to anybody wanting a thriller that doesn't over rely on nonstop action or special effects.

Well worth watching

Author: Robert G. Small, MD from Oklahoma
20 May 2012

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2009) (Swedish books and movies) I had not read the Swedish book(s). The Steig Larsson books are still best sellers. I watched the movies with my wife who helped me follow the complex plots. The Swedish actors, accents, personalities and interaction are typically European and gritty. Dubbed English and closed captions make the content understandable. The Dragon Tattoo books and movies are complex, violent thrillers. Stop here spoiler alert. These movies depict multiple murders, political intrigue and graphic sexual torture. The movies run 2 to 2 ½ hours but don't drag. Sexual activity is explicit but not erotic. The Swedish author Stieg Larsson began the books as a hobby and later learned their market value. Larsson was a workaholic, ate junk food, was a heavy smoker and died prematurely of a heart attack. The foreign films are well worth watching. Noomi Rapace is excellent as Lizabeth, the tattooed girl. Journalist Michal Bloomkist works tirelessly to solve the crimes. A caring relationship between the two protagonists continues in the books and movies. I also enjoyed The Girl Who Played With Fire (2009) and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (2009)