IMDb > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Män som hatar kvinnor

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo More at IMDbPro »Män som hatar kvinnor (original title)

Page 11 of 29: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Rapace has injected herself as a major star!

Author: meeza (themeezaman@hotmail.com) from Miami, Fl
15 May 2011

I remember the days when I used to date a few girls with dragon tattoos. It marked me as a guy that liked Gothic chicks, or something like that. I thought that was unfair stereotypical criticism not only to me but for the young ladies. OK, this never happened (well, maybe a couple of times it did). I was just trying to be a guy with a "girl with a dragon tattoo" story, but obviously that intro did not make its mark. Anyways, most have heard of this foreign flick adapted from the late Stieg Larsson's best-selling novel about Mikael Blomkvist, a Stockholm disgraced reporter who is employed by Henrik Vanger, a geriatric Swedish millionaire in order to unravel the mystery of who killed Vanger's beloved niece Harriet. Vanger offers Blomkvist a wealthy fee for his services, the only catch is that the murder occurred 40 years ago and it is not fresh blood anymore (ouch, I hit below the belt on that one, must have been the dragon inside of me), and another catch is that Henrik requests for Mikael to investigate some of the family members of his own Vanger clan. I guess Henrik is of the "school of thinking" that a family who is rich together also kills together. However, where this movie gets profoundly skin deep is in the character of Lisbeth Salander, a gothicetta computer hacker who has been able to hack away on Blomkvist's CPU for sometime and eventually ends up teaming with Mikael to investigate the Vanger cold case. Salander is witty, crafty, sexy, sly, sharp, and also has one big ass tattoo on her back. I thought that Director Niels Arden Opley's film adaptation of Larsson's masterpiece literary offering was more than OK but not perfect, but then again Opley could just do so much in incorporating all the intrinsic details from the book to the movie. Screenwriters Nikolaj Arcel and Rasmus Heisterberg probably knew that they were playing with fire in adapting a Larsson book to a movie screenplay, but they actually excelled with a well-knitted movie scribe. I must report that there was no libel in Michael Nyqvist's suave performance as Blomkvist, but it was Noomi Rapace's multi-layered thespian effort in her Lisbeth portrayal what fired me up the most about "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Noomi is looming as a major actress! I have yet to see the film's sequels "The Girl Who Played With Fire" (not based on all the girls who have dated me) or "The Girls Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" (not based on all the girls who have kicked me where it hurts the most), but I doubt those films can reach the achievement of its praise-worthy predecessor. **** Good

The girl with the thrills, kills and disturbing rape scenes

Author: Joshwahr from Australia
5 February 2011

Based on the best selling novel by Stieg Larsson, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is the first film adaptation from the Millennium Trilogy starring Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapice. I haven't read any of the novels, but after watching this movie, I am going out to purchase them and read them.

The characters played by Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapice are superbly acted and were very believable. I was incredibly impressed by their talent and how they were able to portray their characters throughout the film. They definitely deserve an award for their performances.

This film was superbly shot, with beautiful cinematography that captures the beauty and desolateness of the island where the film is set. But at the same time, switches dramatically to capture the violent happenings in the film.

The violence and horror of the rape and the murder scenes sent chills up my spine, and I found myself sitting in front of the screen without blinking for long periods throughout the movie (something not many movies are able to do).

I will be very interested to see the Hollywood remake that is scheduled to be released during 2011 and whether they mutilate a brilliant movie, or if they do it justice.

The film is a fast paced thriller and is definitely not for the feint of heart. If you are a fan of the crime/thriller genre, this is a definite must watch!

Find the full review and more at:

Well, It could be better

Author: izzataziz from Malaysia
29 July 2010

The book Men Who Hate Women (Original Book Title) was popular even before the film, but to be honest first time I heard of it from the film itself. Before I watch the movie, I decide to read the book first.

I get the book read a whole book, and I really love it. Then I get the DVD, watch it, and for me I could be much better.

The casting, well it couldn't be better, everyone play the part well especially Noomi Rapace as Salander, really portray the salander in the novel, and other actor well, good acting.

The story, if you haven't read the book sure you will enjoy it.. but for me since I read the book first, I didn't enjoy it much (but it still good). The storyline is different, the story flow is different, not much but you could see the different.

When the story based on the book, there is two kind, one is based on the book thoroughly and second one based on the book but change a bit in term of storyline, and this movie is the later one.

When you change the storyline, it could be better, or less.. this film I enjoy much more the novel storyline.

I think the reason why the story is different because of the title. The book is Men Who Hate Women, than change to The Girl With Dragon Tattoo, the book not focus on telling story about Salander, it much more about the cruelty of some Men, but when the title is The Girl With Dragon Tattoo, like it or not, it need focus more on Salander hence the new story line.

The kill some characters, maybe downsizing the casting members.

I heard about Hollywood gonna remake the movie, in English of course, one think I hope it based on the novel and not based on this movie.

Even so this movie still fun to watch, and need to start reading The Girl Who Played with Fire before get the DVD.

Gruesome Grueling Intrigue, Swedish Style

Author: gradyharp from United States
23 July 2010

Perhaps it is the current need to see that evil eventually consumes itself that make films like THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (AKA "Män som hatar kvinnor") so successful. Or it may be the posthumous fame given Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy (from which this film is 'Millennium: Part 1 - Men Who Hate Women') that has prepared an audience of believers. Whatever the reason this first installment (the other two installments have already been filmed and are ready for release) is being hailed as an epic masterpiece, a film that will go down in cinematic history as a classic. And for that reason you may want to see this current long exploration of the evil of man. But is it a masterpiece.....?

Nikolaj Arcel and Rasmus Heisterberg adapted this book for the screen and the script is interpreted by director Niels Arden Oplev who has cast the many characters of the story with some excellent Swedish actors. By the end of this multi-twisted tale we are left satisfied with the balance of good over evil - or are we? After all we're only part way there and, as in the BOURNE SERIES in this country, subsequent parts to the story become only more bizarre - and exciting. At any rate, the story in brief deals with an investigative journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) whose apparent loss of a case of libel against a wealthy corrupt corporate group results in his being chosen by an elderly but mentally vigorous gentleman Henrik Vanger (Sven-Bertil Taube) to investigate a long buried case of the apparent murder of his niece -a deed Vanger is convinced is associated with his disgustingly morally corrupt family. Blomkvist is fascinated and begins his tedious examination of film and facts that seem to add clues as to the mystery surrounding Harriet Vanger's disappearance. Enter a punk rock appearing, pierced and tattooed young girl Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Repace) who ends up assisting Blomkvist in solving the conundrum. After some rather confusing bits of replay of Lisbeth's past and the revelation of her current situation with a guardian assigned to control her after her recent discharge from an institution, we are allowed to watch the discovery of 40 years of serial killings of young girls: the fact that they are all Jewish and that Vanger's family contains a number of ex-Nazis boils the pot. Much gore, visual exposure to violence and the results of violence flood the screen as the eventual discovery of the true history of Harriet Vanger is uncovered.

The film is two and a half hours long but seems much shorter because of the rapid fire sequencing by the director. Much praise has been heaped on Noomi Repace as Lisbeth and while she performs well, and looks bizarre, one wonders why all the hoopla. This is a good film of its kind, very well transforming a book into cinematic excess, and for those who crave gore and acts of depravity it will probably please. For film goers who prefer thinking to raw action this may not be the choice of a film du jour. In Swedish with subtitles and with English dubbing.

Grady Harp

*Sweedish version SUPERIOR to US version*

Author: frezeframe from Bozeman, Montana
15 August 2012

My actual rating for this is about a 9, but I'm giving it a 10 because for some reason it only has a 7.8 on IMDb. Since IMDb is US dominated in usage, I can only guess it's because many IMDb Americans can't handle subtitled Swedish movies.

This original version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one of the most compelling and realistic suspense films in existence. It is uncensored, raw, and uncut. Make sure to watch the Netflix extended edition.

The Swedish cast, locations, culture and music all serve the story well. The acting is of the highest caliber you will find anywhere, and the action, sex and brutality move the tension and suspense forward in unexpected ways.

If I had to categorize GWTDT, I would say it's Sherlock Holmes meets Twin Peaks, with a serial killer Psycho kind of twist, and a pinch of Hacker. But it really stands on it's own. I've never seen anything quite like it. It's refreshing, smart, sadistic, seductive, charming, and thrilling all at the same time. It really plays with your emotions. You will see some very disturbing things, but are never left without a sense of justice.

There are a few things I didn't like, but the movie is so interesting and the characters are so compelling that you are completely engaged in this masterfully suspenseful and tense story.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is just the first part of the 3-part Millennium Trilogy. The next two parts (The girl who played with fire, and The girl who kicked the hornet's nest) are compromised, a bit forced and not as natural as the first, but they are still excellent- and still have the same strong character base that made it successful in the first place.

Check this out!

Better than the book

Author: Ozymandias92 from United States
22 February 2012

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is, all at once, a taut and suspenseful action thriller, and an interesting study of human nature.

A writer for Sweden's number one magazine, Mikael Blomkvist of Millennium, is facing a hefty fee of 150,000 kronor and a sentence to time in jail for slander and libel. Before his jail time is to happen, he gets a letter from Henrik Vanger, the head of a wealthy family. A man of 80, his niece had disappeared 40 years ago and was never found. He writes to Mikael asking him to help solve her mystery, and in turn, will help him out with the pickle he's in. So he moves to Hedestad, an island 3 hours away from Stockholm to get started on his work.

A tattooed and pierced computer hacker named Lisbeth Salander has been following Mikael's case for quite some time. Lisbeth has Aspergers (or some sort of autism). She's sexy, but she's troubled-she's had a troubled childhood being in and out of behavioral centers. However, fate, or so it seems, leads Mikael to Lisbeth, where they both work together to solve this amazing case.

This very film is why we go to the movies. At 152 minutes, your interest is held. It is a long movie, but the length is the last thing on your mind when watching it. Dragon Tattoo manages to keep you entertained, it immerses you in these awesome characters. They become your friends for 2 and a half hours, and the whole time you feel like you're solving the mystery with them.

This film is full of suspense, and for its entire duration I was on the edge of my seat. Michael Nyqvist is just GREAT as Mikael, and everyone else is great, but the real highlight is Noomi Rapace. She is one of the most gorgeous and talented actresses out there right now. It struck me how so different she is in real life too- in this movie, she just IS Lisbeth. She is more than just a pretty face, she is an amazing actress, and it's such a shame that there aren't many actresses like her nowadays.

In short, do not miss this flick. Even if you don't like foreign movies, do see this film. It is one of the greatest movies I've had the good fortune to see at the cinema, and a film that just improves with repeat viewings.

A Slam-Bang Action Film From Sweden!

Author: Humphrey Fish from United States
26 January 2012

This movie is about a journalist who is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing or dead for forty years by a young female hacker. I decided to see this version from Sweden after I saw the recent one with Daniel Craig (which I thought was fabulous). What's the score? Well here it is. This movie is fabulous! This is without a doubt one of the greatest foreign language films ever to play on my television set, it's brilliant! What's so brilliant about it? Let me name some of the things. First off, a movie doesn't have to be in English for it to have great acting, a foreign language film can also have great acting in it. And the acting in this movie is superb, some of the best that I have seen from any foreign language film. When I watched this movie, I decided to not compare it to the U.S. one so that I could see how I would enjoy it, and I'll say that I enjoyed it, in fact, I didn't enjoy it, I loved it! This is one of the best movies of 2009, and like I said earlier, it's one of the best foreign language films that I have ever seen in my whole life!

This movie is a slam-bang action film from Sweden, it is proof that there are other countries besides the United States that can make great movies, this movie of course is proof of that. When this movie was over, I said: "Oh my goodness, what have those filmmakers from Sweden made here, they have made a movie that is most likely going to go down in history as one of the greatest foreign language films of all time!" Yes, I really think that this movie is one of the best foreign language films that I have ever seen. In terms of greatness, it ranks right up there with Pan's Laybrinth. This movie gets a perfect rating of ten stars out of ten from me, it's a Swedish masterpiece of a movie, it's fabulous, wonderful, outstanding, and not to mention, unforgettable! Both this movie and the Daniel Craig one are both such excellent movies, I am so glad I watched them.

So all in all, this movie is one of the best foreign language films that I have ever seen, it's absolutely an exciting, delightful, and slam-bang action film! And considering how much praise this movie is getting, do you know what that means? I'll tell you right now, it means that you've got to see this movie! No kidding, you've really got to watch it, you will be thrilled by it, you will be filled with excitement, there are even a few scenes in which you will be biting your nails. You should also see the one with Daniel Craig, as that one is also a slam-bang action thrill ride! But you should also see this one, the Swedish one, because you will think that this is one of the best foreign language films that you have ever seen in your life. So all in all, this movie is filled with a lot thrills and a lot of slam-bang excitement, don't miss out on all of the fun!

Relentlessly interesting and original

Author: Roger Moncrief (grafxman@indrev.com) from Jacksonville, FL
26 January 2012

Many Swedish movies I've seen are a bit like watching paint dry. This flick is nothing like that at all!! (tiny spoiler begins) The first several minutes has no dialog and no violence, just moody music and various interesting things happening. After a while I started thinking, why doesn't this bore me? It's so well done you just can't look away. The whole movie is so good that you don't dare look away. And you shouldn't look away. This flick is about as good as it gets.

Here's a hint, don't cross Lisbeth. She'll have your ass on a platter, probably barbecued. Her character is by far the most interesting and complex. The phrase 'tortured soul' does not begin to describe her. I should say no more.

Compared to the book

Author: petermerricks from United Kingdom
28 December 2011

I was very disappointed with this film having read the book. I had hoped that the Swedes would have been more faithful to the book. A lot of the relationships were totally omitted.

In fact I have been very disappointed with the whole series that were produced by the Swedes.

I would have thought given author's situation that they would have taken more care with the material. I may be that the beneficiaries of the royalties may have rushed it though to get the money a lot quicker. I may be wrong.

I await to see if the US version is better....

Good start to the trilogy

Author: mistymountain from United States
12 April 2011

First of all, I haven't read the books yet, so I'll definitely read them, now that I've enjoyed all 3 films. First of all, Michael Nyqvist, reminds me of Liam Neeson, very handsome actor and he excellently played his part of journalist, Mikael Blomqvist, with great strength and emotion, and of course, not to mention, the real main character, Lisbeth Salander, also very well played out by Noomi Rapace. Lisbeth is a computer hacker who manages to break into journalist Mikael Blomqvist's laptop computer. When she discovers that he's working on a mystery about a young girl's disappearance in the mid '60s, she helps him out by sending him clues. But when Mikael discovers that Lisbeth's been sending him clues, he figures out how to track her down by her emails, and pay her a visit. Eventually, the two decide to work together on the mystery. Together, in the first 2 films, their screen chemistry really mixes very well. The unfortunate flaw about their relationship is due to her unpleasant childhood, Lisbeth is fully unable to commit herself fully to Mikael. All three films have lots of twists and turns, even some surprises to make you jump out of your seat, or couch.