IMDb > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Män som hatar kvinnor

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo More at IMDbPro »Män som hatar kvinnor (original title)

Page 11 of 29: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Better than the book

Author: Ozymandias92 from United States
22 February 2012

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is, all at once, a taut and suspenseful action thriller, and an interesting study of human nature.

A writer for Sweden's number one magazine, Mikael Blomkvist of Millennium, is facing a hefty fee of 150,000 kronor and a sentence to time in jail for slander and libel. Before his jail time is to happen, he gets a letter from Henrik Vanger, the head of a wealthy family. A man of 80, his niece had disappeared 40 years ago and was never found. He writes to Mikael asking him to help solve her mystery, and in turn, will help him out with the pickle he's in. So he moves to Hedestad, an island 3 hours away from Stockholm to get started on his work.

A tattooed and pierced computer hacker named Lisbeth Salander has been following Mikael's case for quite some time. Lisbeth has Aspergers (or some sort of autism). She's sexy, but she's troubled-she's had a troubled childhood being in and out of behavioral centers. However, fate, or so it seems, leads Mikael to Lisbeth, where they both work together to solve this amazing case.

This very film is why we go to the movies. At 152 minutes, your interest is held. It is a long movie, but the length is the last thing on your mind when watching it. Dragon Tattoo manages to keep you entertained, it immerses you in these awesome characters. They become your friends for 2 and a half hours, and the whole time you feel like you're solving the mystery with them.

This film is full of suspense, and for its entire duration I was on the edge of my seat. Michael Nyqvist is just GREAT as Mikael, and everyone else is great, but the real highlight is Noomi Rapace. She is one of the most gorgeous and talented actresses out there right now. It struck me how so different she is in real life too- in this movie, she just IS Lisbeth. She is more than just a pretty face, she is an amazing actress, and it's such a shame that there aren't many actresses like her nowadays.

In short, do not miss this flick. Even if you don't like foreign movies, do see this film. It is one of the greatest movies I've had the good fortune to see at the cinema, and a film that just improves with repeat viewings.

A Slam-Bang Action Film From Sweden!

Author: Humphrey Fish from United States
26 January 2012

This movie is about a journalist who is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing or dead for forty years by a young female hacker. I decided to see this version from Sweden after I saw the recent one with Daniel Craig (which I thought was fabulous). What's the score? Well here it is. This movie is fabulous! This is without a doubt one of the greatest foreign language films ever to play on my television set, it's brilliant! What's so brilliant about it? Let me name some of the things. First off, a movie doesn't have to be in English for it to have great acting, a foreign language film can also have great acting in it. And the acting in this movie is superb, some of the best that I have seen from any foreign language film. When I watched this movie, I decided to not compare it to the U.S. one so that I could see how I would enjoy it, and I'll say that I enjoyed it, in fact, I didn't enjoy it, I loved it! This is one of the best movies of 2009, and like I said earlier, it's one of the best foreign language films that I have ever seen in my whole life!

This movie is a slam-bang action film from Sweden, it is proof that there are other countries besides the United States that can make great movies, this movie of course is proof of that. When this movie was over, I said: "Oh my goodness, what have those filmmakers from Sweden made here, they have made a movie that is most likely going to go down in history as one of the greatest foreign language films of all time!" Yes, I really think that this movie is one of the best foreign language films that I have ever seen. In terms of greatness, it ranks right up there with Pan's Laybrinth. This movie gets a perfect rating of ten stars out of ten from me, it's a Swedish masterpiece of a movie, it's fabulous, wonderful, outstanding, and not to mention, unforgettable! Both this movie and the Daniel Craig one are both such excellent movies, I am so glad I watched them.

So all in all, this movie is one of the best foreign language films that I have ever seen, it's absolutely an exciting, delightful, and slam-bang action film! And considering how much praise this movie is getting, do you know what that means? I'll tell you right now, it means that you've got to see this movie! No kidding, you've really got to watch it, you will be thrilled by it, you will be filled with excitement, there are even a few scenes in which you will be biting your nails. You should also see the one with Daniel Craig, as that one is also a slam-bang action thrill ride! But you should also see this one, the Swedish one, because you will think that this is one of the best foreign language films that you have ever seen in your life. So all in all, this movie is filled with a lot thrills and a lot of slam-bang excitement, don't miss out on all of the fun!

Relentlessly interesting and original

Author: Roger Moncrief (grafxman@indrev.com) from Jacksonville, FL
26 January 2012

Many Swedish movies I've seen are a bit like watching paint dry. This flick is nothing like that at all!! (tiny spoiler begins) The first several minutes has no dialog and no violence, just moody music and various interesting things happening. After a while I started thinking, why doesn't this bore me? It's so well done you just can't look away. The whole movie is so good that you don't dare look away. And you shouldn't look away. This flick is about as good as it gets.

Here's a hint, don't cross Lisbeth. She'll have your ass on a platter, probably barbecued. Her character is by far the most interesting and complex. The phrase 'tortured soul' does not begin to describe her. I should say no more.

Good start to the trilogy

Author: mistymountain from United States
12 April 2011

First of all, I haven't read the books yet, so I'll definitely read them, now that I've enjoyed all 3 films. First of all, Michael Nyqvist, reminds me of Liam Neeson, very handsome actor and he excellently played his part of journalist, Mikael Blomqvist, with great strength and emotion, and of course, not to mention, the real main character, Lisbeth Salander, also very well played out by Noomi Rapace. Lisbeth is a computer hacker who manages to break into journalist Mikael Blomqvist's laptop computer. When she discovers that he's working on a mystery about a young girl's disappearance in the mid '60s, she helps him out by sending him clues. But when Mikael discovers that Lisbeth's been sending him clues, he figures out how to track her down by her emails, and pay her a visit. Eventually, the two decide to work together on the mystery. Together, in the first 2 films, their screen chemistry really mixes very well. The unfortunate flaw about their relationship is due to her unpleasant childhood, Lisbeth is fully unable to commit herself fully to Mikael. All three films have lots of twists and turns, even some surprises to make you jump out of your seat, or couch.

an excellent, engaging thriller. loved it.

Author: khan2705 from Pakistan
9 April 2011

Forty years ago, Harriet Vanger disappeared from a family gathering on the island owned and inhabited by the powerful Vanger clan. Her beloved uncle is convinced it was murder and that the killer is a member of his own tightly knit but dysfunctional family. He employs disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist and the tattooed and troubled but resourceful computer hacker Lisbeth Salander to investigate. When the pair link the disappearance of Harriet to a number of grotesque murders from almost forty years ago, they begin to unravel a dark and appalling family history. The Vangers are a secretive clan, and Blomkvist and Salander are about to find out just how far they are prepared to go to protect themselves.

well finally i saw this much talked about and hyped Swedish movie of past year. i was so excited and was glad that finally i was seeing it. i am not sure about watching the rest of the two movies, they weren't well received with critics and i have to watch some more foreign language movies and that will increase the burden so. watching this movie was all the good buzz and of course there is gonna be a Hollywood remake of it directed by David Fincher. well i must say all the buzz arround this movie was worth it man. i should tell you that this movie is now one of my most favorite movie of past years and among the foreign language movies i have seen.

i haven't read the novel on which this movie is based but it must be phenomenal. this marks Second Swedish movie i have seen after Let The Right One In, which again was awesome. well this movie stars Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace. Noomi's character was outstanding, her get up was superb and her performance was amazing. this movie was little but uneasy to watch because of the female abuse and stuff. i must say this movie was extremely edgy and very thrilling. it had the chilling effect on me. phenomenal movie and a near perfect modern classic.

Story of this movie makes this movie what it is and the way it has been handeled is just outstanding, screenplay is very engaging, good plot written very well. editing of this movie is excellent. cinematography is marvellous, everything else is good too. Noomi did a superb job, i liked her get up too. this movie is now one of my favorite movies.

i know most of you guys would have even seen the thw whole Trilogy but if you are planning to watch this movie, i would say go ahead. Two thumbs way high up for this movie.

Smart thriller: Intelligent, truly thrilling, with a satisfying ending

Author: rzajac from Dongshih, Taiwan
15 March 2011

First, the ending: It's hard to end a movie. So many movies that start off like true labors of love somehow dwindle off into the sunset without a proper sense of finality; "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (TGwtDT) doesn't have this failing. That's very important.

Why do I like this flick? I think it's because the the filmmakers succeed in creating protagonists which are both larger-than-life *and* believable; a hard balancing act to pull off! You get drawn into their lives, and truly root for them. The admiration you feel for their exertions and stepwise successes is akin to how Watson felt when watching Holmes work. And yet another part of what you feel is hope and concern, which comes from the sense that they could be you. They're truly human-dimensioned, so the viewer is encouraged to settle in and identify with them.

At the end of all this drama comes the exposing of a great evil--and it's believably banal in character; a very effective move by the producers and director.

Speaking of which: Perhaps the most refreshing thing about TGwtDT is how it feels "of a piece", and not afflicted with the kinds of narrative and character development abandonment associated with mid-project cold feet on the parts of the producers. It really does appear that everyone knew what they wanted from the outset with TGwtDT, and they stuck with it to the end. And as a result the product never disappoints the good-faith expectations of intelligent viewers. They might have copped out and done a midproduction rewrite that simply posits and sews up the original issue: The 15-year-old girl's disappearance. But the filmmakers decide that actual moviegoers have enough brain cells to rub together to grok the Heisenbergian uncertainty that's thrown in to achieve a lifelike tone.

My one small remonstrance is that the voice-over work for the English dub felt about 95% there. There were occasional lapses in delivery that stuck out for me. One certainly hopes that the Swedish deliveries are 100% there! If you like mystery/thrillers, this is one you definitely have to check out.

Outstanding

Author: copperncherrio from United States
13 March 2011

It seemed to go on forever… but I wanted it to. I found the plot and mystery particular and new, and more than anything realistic in its story telling. I like the main female character for her silent thinking women scenes. I heard something on NPR that compared her to Bella from Twilight, and it is simply not true. Lisbeth is a new breed of female characters, she stands her ground silently and although is victimized she still has the will to fight back without feeling sorry for herself.

The actress does an excellent job in transforming into this cold character, but she still maintains the intrigue into the character.

Even with that in mind the characters are hard to connect to and even harder to completely understand, for these are not your typical heroes or heroins, rather they are just brilliant people who live in the situation of circumstances.

Overall this film is a good reflection on the popularity of the book series (something I brought and will be reading soon).

A fantastic crime and punishment film TRILOGY

Author: adamsoch-1 from United States
4 March 2011

In the name of "National Security" secret groups in any country on this earth have Carte Blanche to power, secrecy, abuse and manipulation. That is the backdrop of this old fashion crime mystery drama or if you prefer: thriller. Buried deep into the dark past of then political rulers of Sweden, almost everyone who were in power from the Prime Minister to clergy, kept and protected the crimes of a former Russian spy and his gang of thugs involved with sex trade, murder and violence against women.

A secret agent is a dangerous job, even more so if the spy happens to be a sadistic wife- beating husband and your principal enemy is his own daughter who at only 12, did stand up to him and hurt him really, really bad.

The star of the show is Lisbeth Salander the eccentric, antisocial, introverted, abused and very early-matured young girl impeccably played by Noomi Rapace. Lisbeth is seeking judgment or revenge in her own way, she does not trust anyone except Plague the hacker and Blomkvist, the Millennium investigating journalist.

Written by the amazingly talented and promising late Swedish writer Stieg Larsson who prematurely died in 2004 of a heart attack at only 50. Sexual violence against women was his theme in this Millennium Series of best selling novels, first published in Europe in 2006. Unfortunately he could not enjoy the remarkable success of his book publishing and now the sensation of the 3 outstanding films called: The Stieg Larsson Trilogy.

David Fincher is directing (2011) the American version of the first film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I can't think of any reason to re-make this extraordinarily executed and flawlessly acted Swedish-Danish produced film, but since Mr. Fincher is involved, whom I respect, and Scott Rudin producing, it can't go wrong and I can't wait to for the release date to be published.

It is a fantastic crime and punishment film with fascinating characters that have human dimensions, they are almost real and it feels like they could be your co-workers or neighbors.

"There is something rotten in …. Stockholm" is how I would subtitle the three films and recommend to discover for yourself, what is that rotten thing, by embarking and enjoying this ride that never stops surprising. Watching all three films one after another, for me it was an unforgettable film experience.

Great Movie

Author: paulfey1 from Nashville
11 February 2011

Love this film . The plot is continuous and has many twists and turns which is about two different people who are separate yet together .

There is adventure and mystery from beginning to end with a bit of love story thrown in .

The ending was a surprise and the story was interesting .

These folks really produced a great movie .

The actors are very good and deserve praise for their performance .

The camera team was excellent and there were many impressive shots .

The screen writer did a killer job which helped to make the movie very suspenseful

The violent scenes were realistic as hell and added to the realism of the movie .

Watch the movies first!

Author: RavenZ from Warrenton, VA
29 January 2011

Any book will be better than the movie - 99 times out of 100. This trilogy would be the rare exception. I'd heard that "The Girl" stories/movies were awesome, so I finally did watch the first movie. I am so glad I did. I was able to see what a great story was being told and then I wanted to read the books.

If I had started with the book, I probably never would have finished it. The books are, forgive me, almost dull in parts. The author goes in to so much detail, so much backstory, so much minutae of Swedish political history, that they become hard to read. The meat of the stories is excellent, but it is hard to slog through some parts of the books.

The real story in the first book "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" doesn't really start until about a third of the way through. This bit of looooong winded backstory is dealt with in a few lines of dialog in the movie. The author uses way too many difficult Swedish street and place names that all but Swedes will not understand. Makes it cumbersome.

I like detail, I like backstory, and I like well fleshed-out characters, but believe me, the movie is the way to go FIRST. Then you can appreciate the books and find out all the other details.

All of that being said, this is an arse-kicker trilogy of movies. Fans of exciting thrillers should not give a second thought to the subtitles and enjoy. YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE CHILDREN or those with very delicate sensibilities around. Trust me here.

"The Girl" is a character unlike any you have met before. Don't read too many reviews and ruin it all. Watch and enjoy.