IMDb > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Män som hatar kvinnor

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo More at IMDbPro »Män som hatar kvinnor (original title)

Page 2 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Excellent thriller

Author: Andres Salama from Buenos Aires, Argentina
17 January 2010

This Swedish film is one of the best thrillers I've seen in a long time. Based on a best seller novel by Stieg Larsson I haven't read (the first in a trilogy), it starts with Mikael, a middle aged investigative journalist being asked by the old patriarch of a powerful business clan to solve the disappearance of his beloved 16 year old nephew forty years ago. Since this happened during a family reunion at an isolated island, the patriarch believes that she was murdered, and that only a member of the family could have done so. Mikael is soon joined in the investigation by Lisbeth Salander, a troubled but brilliant twenty something female hacker, and soon they are lifting the veil on the very dark secrets behind this prestigious family. Gripping throughout, the film benefits from a number of terrific performances, especially Noomi Rapace playing Lisbeth Salander and Sven Bertil Taube as the patriarch of the clan. While the film is more than two hours long, it is never boring, and all the loose ends are tied brilliantly at the end.

Scandinavian thrills

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
20 March 2010

It is a quite uncommon event, that a Swedish film should get so much attention pretty much anywhere, not just in Scandinavia or, outside its home regions, the art-house circuit (Bergman isn't exactly multiplex stuff). Of course, when the film in question is based on a best-selling novel, nay, the most profitable book in Northern Europe, it's a whole different thing: partly because of the unique circumstances surrounding its inception (the author was a journalist who wrote fiction just for fun and died shortly after submitting the final version of the manuscripts), Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy has shocked and enthralled readers all over the world, which explains why the adaptation of the first chapter, Men Who Hate Women (retitled The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in English-speaking countries), has become the most successful Swedish movie of all time. That, and the fact that it's a very good film.

Not surprisingly, the main character is, like the late author, an investigative reporter, a man in his late forties named Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist). Sentenced to a six-month stint in prison for allegedly forging evidence against a powerful businessman he wrote about in the magazine Millennium (hence the trilogy's title), he still has the time to carry out an assignment handed to him by one Henrik Vanger (Sven-Bertil Taube): to find out what happened on the day Vanger's niece, Harriet, disappeared. Dis she simply vanish, or was she murdered? As the plot thickens, Mikael receives unexpected help from Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace), a young hacker with a troubled past and continued problems with her legal status, more specifically her sleazy guardian.

In the transition from page to screen, some elements had to be abandoned, obviously: gone are the data on abused women that opened each section of the book (the major contribution of Larsson's journalistic side), as well as the sly references to past detective story staples (Blomkvist and Vanger mention Agatha Christie when discussing their investigation). In terms of plot, on the other hand, the adaptation process is worthy of L.A. Confidential: no unnecessary subplots (do we really need to see Mikael sleeping with half the women he encounters?) or irrelevant side characters, just Blomkvist and Salander, an odd investigative couple whose essence is best summed up by Mikael's line: "You know everything about me, and I don't know sh*t about you.". It's that kind of weird humor, spoken in plain, brutal Swedish, that gives the film its heart, along with a decent dose of mystery.

The Scandinavian landscape has its part in guaranteeing the story's success, too: like in the wonderful Let the Right One In, the cold, snowy environment provides the ideal backdrop for one of the most chilling (pun not intended) and grisly tales of murder ever committed to film. Staying true to the book's bleak core, the violence is depicted without many restrictions, especially in the central rape scene that justifies the original Swedish title and sets The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo aside from the majority of Hollywood's sanitized thrillers.

In short, this is a riveting, rewarding experience. Needless to say, an American version is already in the works to please subtitle-weary moviegoers. It's not necessarily a bad idea (look at what Chris Nolan did with Insomnia, originally a Norwegian picture), but can there really be a Tinseltown actress brave - and good - enough to take over from the mesmerizing Noomi Rapace? Well, at least she still has two more films to steal before that happens...

8,5/10

One of the Best Films I Have Seen This Year

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 August 2010

In Stockholm, the investigative journalist and chief-editor of the magazine Millennium Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) is sentenced to three months in prison for slandering the corrupt entrepreneur Hans-Erik Wennerström (Stefan Sauk) in an article. Meanwhile the wealthy industrialist Henrik Vanger (Sven- Bertil Taube) and his lawyer Dirch Frode (Ingvar Hirdwall) hire the Milton Security to investigate the life of Mikael, and the hacker Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) finds that he is an honest man. Mikael is invited to travel to Hedeby Island near Hedestadt to meet Henrik at his home and the old man proposes him to investigate who murdered his beloved nephew Harriet that disappeared forty years ago. Mikael moves to Hedeby Island and Henrik delivers all the files of the case. The journalist learns that all the members of the dysfunctional Vanger family are suspect and the three brothers of Henrik were Nazis. Meanwhile Lisbeth is hacking Mikael's computer and she decides to help him with further information about the case. Henrik hires Lisbeth to help Mikael and they discover a series of hideous murders connected to the disappearance of Harriet.

"Män Som Hatar Kvinnor" is one of the best films I have seen this year. The engaging suspense is very well developed, with many characters and subplots that are perfectly resolved without any flaw. Niels Arden Oplev has a tight direction, supported by an excellent screenplay and outstanding cast. Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace in the roles of an investigative journalist and an emotionally disturbed hacker respectively deserve nominations to the Oscar for their top-notch performances. Unfortunately it seems that the American cinema industry is preparing to destroy this awesome film with another remake. The Brazilian title is almost correct since "Män Som Hatar Kvinnor" means "Men Who Hate Women". My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Os Homens Que Não Amavam as Mulheres" ("The Men that did not Love Women")

Grim but absorbing

Author: Philby-3 from Sydney, Australia
16 February 2010

This is a grim and gritty tale lightened somewhat by an upbeat ending. Its origins as the first novel in the millennium series by Stieg Larrson is evident in a somewhat meandering storyline and a running time of two and a half hours, with the inevitable excisions from the book. Nevertheless the film stands up well on its own.

Sweden seems to produce detectives at the end of their tethers, "Wallander" for example, and the protagonist here, Mikael a journalist, starts out facing three months in jail for defaming a shonky business tycoon. I thought criminal defamation was a thing of the past, but not it seems in Sweden. Mikael has been set up, but the case has brought him to the notice of Henrick Vander, the patriarch of an old industrial family, who commissions Mikael to investigate the disappearance of his favourite niece, who disappeared from the family's island retreat nearly 40 years ago. Mikael joins forces with the tiny but intimidating Lisbeth, an ace computer hacker with a dark past and an agenda of her own.

They soon discover that the Vander family, except for their client who is a nice old gent, are as about a dysfunctional a family as you might ever meet, on a par with the Essenbecks of Visconti's "The Damned". There are skeletons everywhere, not just in the closet. However Mikael and Lisbeth crack the case, after the usual quota of menacing moments and dashing around chasing red herrings and actual clues. Filmed in the midst of a Swedish winter the atmosphere is pretty gloomy, not to mention just plain cold.

Michael Nyqvist inhabits the role of Mikael pretty comfortably, spending quite a lot of time looking surprised, but Nooni Rapace as Lisbeth is something else again – practically an elemental force – never was someone so vulnerable and so dangerous at the same time.

Nit-pickers will be delighted to learn that in a short sequence set in outback northern Australia, Mikael's FWD has the correct licence plates and its steering wheel on the right. However the lighting was most peculiar and the sheep a bit out of place – you mostly see cattle in northern Australia.

There are apparently two sequels in the pipeline, and despite some rather grisly moments I will line up to see them. Larrson, who died suddenly after producing three best-sellers, was a good storyteller and the film-makers have executed the adaptation with plenty of skill.

One of the better thrillers

Author: Mathijs from Netherlands
21 August 2009

My brother and I were late for this movie, so we only got to see the audience when the lights went back on. I'd describe it as above 50. The reason is probably that this is not your average Hollywood murder movie.

It has most of the elements that thrillers of this kind have. Clue by clue you are lead to the murderer, but the answer is only revealed at the end. Where is movie differs from most common thrillers is that characters are described more realistically, without certain bounds that most movies seem to have. This adds to the intensity of 'Men who hate women'.

This intense detective has some interesting twists, and should be quite enjoyable for most adults.

One of the best in awhile........

Author: AkiraKyoShi from United States
26 January 2011

I had no idea what to expect with this movie but after seeing something on MSN.com about people screwed over by the globes I figured Id give it a whirl.

I ended up getting a Dubbed version and I know a lot can be lost in translation that way but I loved it. It definitely has a "girl power" feel to it but it is very well done. The acting is excellent the storyline is excellent and its well written.

One thing I really loved was its not your typical "American" , which its not, suspense/detective movie. A lot of these are clues and discoveries that come out of nowhere and don't make a lot of sense. This movie I found was very realistic in the way it was written and was done the way real people would do it. It didn't have that feeling of disconnection with the characters being so much more intelligent and magical when it came to the clues.

Anyway I enjoyed it so much Im going to give the other movies a shot with the same female character.

I highly recommend this but please be aware, there is A lot of "violation" if you will. Not for sensitive viewers.

Kudos.

Its one of the best thriller, shocking, brutal and riveting movie

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
28 July 2010

Män som hatar kvinnor (The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo) - CATCH IT ( A ) Its one of the best thriller, shocking, brutal and riveting movie I've seen in recent times… though its 2/1 hrs long but still there is not a single moment you feel bore or wondering what's happening, its powerful that you wont take your eyes out of it… The Direction is top notch but it's the haunting performance of NOOMI Rapace , which just captures you and don't let you move… Other Powerful performance is by Michael Nyqvist, he is totally into the character and is a brilliant actor… I loved the Mesmerizing picture of the missing girl Harriet Vanger (Julia SpOrre) it's not less enchanted then MonaLisa… trust me on that! A Brilliant master piece should not to be missed in any case.

I hate to say it, but more rounded than Fincher's version

Author: UnknownRealmsDotNet from Japan
22 July 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has been a worldwide phenomenon for a while now. In book form, the original film, and the Hollywood remake. It is a disturbing, yet riveting tale, as is the story behind the author who made it. While Fincher's version is visually and stylistically more striking, I feel this original Swedish film does a better job bringing the disturbing mystery to the silver screen. Structured much more fluidly than the Hollywood version, the mystery of a missing girl flows and develops slowly, dishing out red herrings and suspense with each turn (something lacking in the Fincher version). It also stays closer to the original title of the book (and theme) Men who Hate Women. In the end, this is a dark tale of what rape does to women and to the world. Not everyone's idea of 'entertainment,' but a thought-provoking mystery for those with strong stomachs.

Decent but becomes progressively less interesting

Author: leospitt from United Kingdom
23 March 2010

I basically enjoyed this film, as reflected in my rating but it is certainly flawed.

My preconception before watching the film, based upon the images of the main character, was that this was quite possibly a film that gets a lot of it's traction from the beauty of it's female star - dressed up in that Gothic she's-a-bit-disturbed kind of Matrix chic.

I was pleasantly surprised that the eponymous character does actually have some depth, and didn't have me groaning at tank grrrl clichés too often.

The film then heads off into what seem to me kind of interesting waters and is gearing up to be intelligent, well-paced, suspenseful and unconventional.

The problems arise when the film starts tying the mysteries up. The kind of devices that you would dismiss in a TV drama as being clichés, start surfacing with alarming regularity... It becomes more difficult to suspend your credibility... Things take on an increasingly BBC 2 Poirot kind of feel.

Then when you feel that the story has been told, the film continues for another unnecessary 20 minutes or so, most of that time spent spelling things out in a slightly patronising way..

The final scene seems well and truly out of place. People may say that "if you read the book it all makes sense"... Maybe, but this isn't the book, and the film needs to stand on it's own two feet.

So I would say this is half a good film, and half a late night TV murder mystery. Worth seeing but doesn't live up to the hype in my opinion.

Noomi Rapace did it to perfection. (Contains Spoilers)

Author: Carma Chan from Northern California
1 December 2011

I rarely include spoilers in my reviews. The only reason I will in this one is for the benefit of Noomi Rapace and other members of the cast and crew who made this movie perfect. Hollywood does the weirdest things. Rather than give a new writer a chance, they'll remake an absolutely perfect recent film. Bizarre. I truly hope it backfires on them. Seeing the trailers for the remake, I'm baffled. It's flat. There is nothing in their eyes. Noomi Rapace is gripping in this film. She's my hero. This film contains the most brutal rape scene imaginable, and I nearly had to stop watching, but I could not stop watching *her* - there was something about *her* that promised me that this was not gratuitous sadism. I cheered my guts out when she cleverly trapped the human predator and exacted justice. I had not read the book, so I had no idea this was coming. Noomi's performance is beyond 10. I can't think of another actress who has gone this deep in drama, and I want her to know, it was a very satisfying movie to watch - not mere entertainment - it was cathartic. Thank you.

Page 2 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]