IMDb > Gooby (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gooby

Gooby More at IMDbPro »

Gooby: Or What the Heck Did I Just Watch?

Author: Sonia Mortensen (QueenDeborahGibson) from Canada
5 July 2009

What a strange movie. Uh... it's kind of frightening. Robbie Coltrane is Gooby, the childhood teddy bear of Willy, who comes to life and grows to about 6 feet tall to help Willy out. Gooby's face is what frightens me the most. Who in their right mind would give a child a teddy bear who looks like Gooby? And what child would want something so frightening?

One not so terrible point is Eugene Levy. He plays Mr. Nerdlinger, Willy's teacher, who is also an aspiring writer. He also wants to get famous. He sees Gooby and wants to get a picture of him that will propel himself into fame. The performance is very short, and Levy makes the best out of it. He brings to the film a few amusing moments, and saves this from a total disaster. I thought it would be good for a few laughs, and the trailer, which made it seem totally frightening, intrigued me. Don't watch it, unless you are expecting a bizarre, somewhat frightening train wreck.

1/10.

On a side note, if they remade this film as a horror movie, it would be 10,000 times better.

I've been Goobed.

Author: Trev3K from Michigan, USA
16 December 2010

Gooby Gooby Gooby. The word continues to rattle around in my brain, a lingering remnant of the mental trauma endured last night while watching this movie. Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching giant teddy bears with immobile faces fart as much as the next guy, but this one just wasn't doing it for me. Did I learn anything? Was I supposed to? I don't know. What I do know is that my life is now forever tainted, and I can only pray that when I close my eyes at night, I will not be met with visions of Gooby devouring cold hot dogs, or Eugene Levy sporting a Wolverine hair cut, or...well, just about anything from this movie.

Teddy Ruxpin is back, and creepier than ever.

Author: mcwhammer from United States
3 August 2009

This is a very odd movie, from beginning to end. From the start, there is a very big disconnect between the voice & the character of Gooby. With Gooby being a man in a suit, how were they unable to get Robbie Coltrane to just climb into the suit? When the voice doesn't match the face, things can only go downhill from there. Matthew Knight happens to be a talented young actor, as the boy who owns Gooby, but I think his talents are wasted in this role.

Gooby is supposed to be the star, and I could not look past the suit to see the character he was portraying - partly because of the way his eyes are painted on in-expressively. The film has a small amount of quirkiness, notably the fact that Gooby retains his "cleaning instructions" tag sewn into his side, but other than that, there's really nothing to recommend. I think kids and adults will be more freaked out by this large stuffed creature than happy to see him.

It's like a car crash or a house burning down....it's painful, but you have to watch it

Author: Jackpollins from United States
25 August 2009

After seeing the trailer for the family film, Gooby, I thought it looked so bad that I had to see it. I am actually happy to report that it's the train wreck I was expecting. That said, I couldn't look away. Just like the trailer, it was so painful to watch, and yet I could not look away. I enjoyed seeing the true failure of it, and imagining the true fact that it would work much better as a horror film than the family film from Canada it is. The only decent thing about it is Eugene Levy basically reprising his character from Splash. In Splash, he was the bad guy determined on becoming famous by taking a picture of the mermaid. Here, he's Willy (Matthew Knight)'s teacher, Mr. Nerdlinger who's dying to become famous. He tried writing books, but just like this movie, they were so bad that nobody wanted to spend their time and money on them. He then tries to become famous by taking a picture of the creepy title character (did I mention he was a six foot tall monster?), Gooby (voice of Robbie Coltrane.) The film is a complete, and painful failure from start to finish, and yet if you're in a McDonalds or looking in the 2 for $1 bin at your local Blockbuster (those are the only two places you should be able to find them), it's worth watching just because you can't look away at the shameful and creepy, horror-film like failure that is Gooby.

Gooby is one of the worst "man in a suit" suits that has ever graced the screen. Its creepy

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
5 September 2009

Kids film made by adults who don't understand kids films. Its the story of a kid who moves to a new home with his family. When he complains he'll hate it his mother said that Gooby, a stuffed bear will help him. The kid reminds his mom that he is 11 and that he hasn't played with Gooby in years. The kid runs into trouble and Gooby does help him. Its way too creepy for words.

Aside from the poor script the real problem here is Gooby. Its a man in a suit with an mask for a face. Robbie Coltrane who provides the voice is clearly doing a voice over. Its horrible. Its embarrassing. Actually Gooby looks like the sort of suit that little kids would run screaming from if he showed up at a party. This would have been great had it been a horror film but as a feel good kids film its all wrong.

This is a lousy movie and should be avoided.

Hate Incarnate.

Author: Dal Mationer from United Kingdom
9 February 2013

Let's imagine you're a Canadian filmmaker with a sound 6.5 million dollar budget. Not enough for a big genre piece but enough for a solid 90 minute comedy or drama, provided you don't blow your budget on star power. What do you do? If you answered "hire Eugene Levy for a secondary role and Hagrid from Harry Potter to voice the giant dead-eyed teddy bear," you are Wilson Coneybeare, the Writer/Producer/Director of this straight-to-DVD abomination. While hailed as "heart-warming" and scoring "five doves" on ChristianCinema.com, there is nothing heartwarming about this film. Featuring a bear costume that makes the Country Bears look realistic and a plot we've seen done better several times already, it's unclear what the filmmakers thought Gooby would bring to the table. Aside from, you know, a host of double entendre that was either the world's biggest oversight or a deliberate attempt to sneak incredibly creepy subtext by the dove guys we mentioned earlier.

The film opens by introducing us to Willy, who monologues for a bit to establish his role as the main character and introduce his negligent power-career parents. We're treated to about a second of a CGI character that probably cost thousands of dollars just to model that we'll never see again before learning that Willy's parents are moving and introduced to Gooby, a teddy bear. After a few days being miserable in his new environment, Willy starts to notice something is about. He tracks it to the Friendship Shed, where he discovers that Gooby has come to life mutated into a dead-eyed all-devouring abomination which, apparently, is wearing a scarf suspiciously similar to Tom Baker's. From here, we're just going through the motions as we simultaneously follow the list of "things to do when ripping off Calvin and Hobbes" and "my imaginary friend is real and an adult is trying to expose it." Though that's not to say it doesn't do anything original, they just tend to be horrible things with no rational reason to be in the movie. The film ends with Gooby luring Willy to a derelict house and leaving him dangling over a pit, ostensibly so his father can save him and rekindle their relationship.

This movie is bizarre. It doesn't come off as heartwarming, it's creepy. The bear suit is horrifying, the plot is from a handbook on child endangerment, and the message is "if your parents ignore you, don't make friends, just retreat into your imagination and put yourself in peril to get attention." And let's not forget that only black character in the film is swiftly replaced by Eugene Levy.

Monsters Inc-redibly Bad

Author: thesar-2 from United States
8 August 2014

Thank God, Ted came around.

OK, fine, Gooby wasn't entirely bad for the first 20 or so minutes. Then it became Goofy and when they got to the "American" supermarket, it turned to God-awful and eventually Godless.

From the Jim's "Wolverine" Dad, to Purple People Eaters on a Diet, to the countless creepy child-endangerment scenes, to the terrible tunes, to the numerous, aimless and never-revisited story lines, Gooby delivers every parent's worst nightmare: leaving your kid alone with an adult furry male.

This movie may have had heart in the concept stage, but nothing went right in the final product to make me even slightly recommend this. It would and should give any kid – its target audience, I suspect – nightmare for years and therapy for life.

Gooby follows the "story" of a boy who's forced to move homes because his family's bettering themselves. Naturally, this is a problem for the kid because he's only "safe" in the terrible neighborhood he "grew up" in. So, in order to ward off the terrible CGI'd purple aliens from the boy's imagination, the teddy the boy somehow remembers from when he was a baby, comes to life. Initially, the snot bear (their words, not mine) was supposed to protect the boy from all the dangers from within his own mind, but like most arcs here, that's quickly forgotten and replaced with a long series of boy-hiding-bear and failed hilarity.

Sadly, they attempted to amp up the "humor" by adding in terrible graphics and green screens when their budget couldn't have been more than ten bucks, including salaries. Granted, I do not believe the boy actor, Matthew Knight, phoned any of this in. But, maybe he was trying to simultaneously audition for a real (boy) role in a real movie.

There were so many bad aspects of this movie, but one of the worst was trying to play the setting off as they were in the United States when every single shot and set proved otherwise. Hell, the bear and the bitch (the TV-addicted nanny) were British.

Even great family movies can be reduced to the $5 DVD bin at Wal-Mart. This one should never be sold for more than 5 (Canadian) cents.

* * *

Final thoughts: "This is your secret room, isn't it? Where you came as a little boy," says Gooby.

Forever I should be ashamed of my dirty mind during a kids movie.

Not a superhero to save the world, just a mischievous toyfriend.

Author: Reno Rangan from Somewhere in the Cosmos
14 July 2016

The outcome was as expected, so I haven't disappointed with it. But sparing time for it was the big decision I had made, knowing a film not for my age. Without a single bit of graphics they have managed it well to tell a story. The production was decent, but the story was too predictable with a below average jokes. I just wanted to clear the air that I was not bored of it, simply not my type of entertainment film, that's all.

Perhaps the adult comedy, 'Ted' might have inspired by this, except it is a children's film. The actors were decent, because they did not get a challenging role. With a giant Ted in the title role, it should have been an adventure film. He's here to help the kid and I think his character did nothing big achievement rather boring writing of his character.

Everyone knows that's a man was inside the fur, so the stunts would have not cost too much if they had used a stunt artist. Because adding a couple of those scenes would have given a reason for the audience to cheer. The end was a loop, they kept it that way, in case of a sequel planned in the future. But I hope they won't make it, unless a very adventurous. Not recommended unless you plan to show it for your kids.

Gooby captures a kid's imagination in the best way

Author: rtellegen from Netherlands
27 April 2012

I've registered just to post this, since I really can't believe this movie is only rated as a 3.3. It was on TV a few months back and we ended up seeing the last half of it. Then my son woke me up last weekend asking about that movie with the big bear, he'd been dreaming about it. Sought the whole internet based on some keywords and finally found the DVD. We saw it yesterday and it was better than I even remembered it. It really is a simple but great movie on a kid that suffers "huge" ordinary problems, a bit of isolation, (loving) parents that move because they think more expensive housing is better and a father that's always working supposedly to pay for all these improvements. But then suddenly a forgotten toy turns out to come alive into a huge bear with strange beady eyes, just a tad scary in the beginning, but then turns out to be his best friend. He needs to hide from the world (kids love it). Gooby eats all the chocolates, candy, ice-cream you can find (again, my son found it hilarious), helps him be cool with his friends and eventually ends up setting everything right again and help his parents learn a valuable lesson. Call it corny, but I think even the message is valid for a lot of kids and parents these days. Loved this films, hope the cynics who forgot to look through a kid's eyes don't put you off seeing it!

A waste of good talent and looks...

Author: windsweptme from United States
30 September 2010

WHEN is someone going to write a GOOD script for David James Elliott?? He's proved well beyond any doubt that he can carry a good show/movie, working for some of the biggest and successful names in the business. Now he's doing kid movies and obviously poor script opportunities. I've been amazed at what he's had to stoop to, to support his family.

Where is Bellisario now? What about Bellisario's next new series?; or even an updating of his character from JAG? I've heard many people miss the show and are upset to only find an occasional episode on USA network/channel. Many feel it could have a comeback with more current times and themes. It is, after all, the semi-spin-off for NCIS 1 and 2, frequently strolling many JAG actors and characters through the story lines. I'd LOVE to see DJE in a good solid role again, playing the type of character he can challenge and make his own, and not be canceled after a season...

Go for shows that aren't duplicates of all the others. Look what USA network/channel has done with unique story lines; no carbon copy shows, and they are QUITE successful. Find one that fits D J Elliott because the man deserves much better than he's been offered. Pretty soon the poor guy will be lowered to commercials--- when you really have at least a Pierce Brosnan and potentially a Tom Selleck at hand;-- if he could get a chance to really work out some of his better challenges as an actor.