IMDb > "True Jackson, VP" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"True Jackson, VP" More at IMDbPro »

Keke Palmer is a Star

Author: (BigfanofDisney) from United States
13 November 2008

I watched this show and thought it was very good. The writing was so much better than the other kids shows that are on today. I honestly think that we have seen so much bad writing and acting in these kid shows that when a good show comes along we do not know the difference.

It's the same in music we are so use to hearing electronic vocals that when we hear real singing we do not like the sound and choose the song with the weak phony vocals because it's what we are use to hearing. When Brittany Spears came out I loved her music, but I was 7 years old, now that I am older no way I choose Brittany over Paramore. I still love Brittany, but real singing beats that cheesy stuff any day.

Keke Palmer is so graceful and such a strong actress that it's hard not to give this show a chance. There is no other kid actor/actress on kids TV that brings the resume and the natural talent that she has, True Jackson V.P. is a great show because of Keke, the other actors are not known, once people see them a bit more then judge, but to say the writing was bad just from the pilot, what studio would pay for a bad pilot?? They send these shows out to be tested, it obviously tested high with a lot of kids or they would not have picked this show up.

Millions of people tuned in to see this show that's no accident, Keke Palmer it's her turn now. Why can't real talent have a chance for a change? I remember the days of Jett Jacksons, All That(Keenan and Kel) Even Stevens, all good actors, to me Keke's acting is as real as those actors and that is why people should watch True Jackson V.P., to see the star of the show shine, not take cheap shots at the supporting unknown cast, especially after just one episode.

Was my comment helpful?

True Jackson VP is a great show for youth

Author: aeppsabe from United States
10 December 2008

I'd first like to congratulate Keke Palmer on continued acting success. I have watched several episodes with my children and can rest assured that they are viewing quality television that isn't sexually suggestive or morally degrading. Our youth deserves quality television programming!!! Thanks to the other actors in this production for portraying clean teen images. And finally the comments that were previously submitted degrading the show are just plain false. This show is very interesting, the jokes are appropriate for the suggested audience and the show clearly has a future on Nick!!! Maybe those viewers are too mature to watch the show to enjoy it. Keep up the good work True Jackson cast!!

One of the best shows in a long time...

Author: princessatta from United States
31 December 2008

iCarly has been successful, and in my opinion, Nickelodeon has hit another home run. Actually, I find myself anticipating new episodes of True Jackson, VP as opposed to iCarly which has been my favorite show for a while now.

This show does everything That's So Raven tried to do in its final season. Now, some may argue that this alone would make it unoriginal from the get go, but what out there is REALLY original? That's So Raven, in the fourth season, centered around Raven trying to live her dream working under her idol in the fashion world alongside a mean assistant. However, the greatness of this idea was never allowed to shine because the show still revolved around Raven being psychic.

Now, with Keke Palmer at the helm, a more professional (and not so cheesy) looking set, more developed characters (Amanda as opposed to Tiffany), etc., the idea is allowed to blossom and Nickelodeon and Andy Gordon should be applauded for taking on this idea.

While it may not be believable to some that a 15 year old would work in fashion, based on that, why should we also believe that a 7 year old can be plucked from a crowd and turned into an actor/actress when an agent happens to be nearby (as is the case with many children who break into the entertainment business)? The point is, I've seen too many reviews on this show saying it's unbelievable, and those same people won't even give the show another chance.

Pilots are never the best a show has to offer...seriously! However, I think in this show's case, the Pilot was one of the better I've seen. And, although you can see the difference in the pilot's quality, what's good is the show didn't change in consistency, which happens a lot in other shows.

Sure, some of the jokes on this show are cheesy. However, they don't insult one's intelligence either. It's genuinely funny because of the way the characters interact. If you were to watch a show like I Love Lucy, you could say the jokes on it were also cheesy (after all, isn't humor subjective to each individual's idea of what's funny and what isn't?), but the chemistry between the characters makes up for it and so, when put together in a situation, it just makes the humor resonate.

There are several reasons I enjoy this show. True doesn't constantly act like a diva (as many leads in other shows do), the second-string characters are allowed to shine, punch lines are distributed evenly, the plot lines are consistent, etc. I also really enjoy the fact that adult characters like Amanda, Max, Oscar, and yes, even Kopelman, are not sidelined as opposed to most shows designed for this age group in which the adults are only there make the show seem realistic, e.g. parents, teachers, etc. In this case, they are their own characters and are given just as much air time as True and her friends. I'm in college and I have to say, this is one of the most enjoyable shows I've seen and the above factors are many of the reasons why.

Overall, this show has a lot to offer, and I hope that by the end of the 20 episode order, Nickelodeon will want to order up some more because this show is definitely one of a kind and one of the best.

Quite sure to make Nickelodeon fall

Author: bearfaceproductions from Puerto Rico
2 June 2009

I was exited that Nick had a new live action show, but I was disappointed of how the pilot episode turned out. Drake & Josh and iCarly's Pilots were very awesome and they made me laugh but True Jackson VP's pilot failed. I wanted to give the show a chance so I saw more episodes. Only one made me get a good laugh for a little while.

The show is about a girl who gets a job at a company that seems to be run by mentally challenged morons who act like kids.

There's an episode of switcheroo where everyone switches job positions. That is so unrealistic, this show gives kids false examples of what working is all about. There is another episode where the whole company is a jungle, that is so immature. Also the adults in the show really thrash the show. The kids on the other hand are really good, except for the Ryan character.

My advise is: cancel the show and give Keke Palmer and Ashley Argota another show with better writers such as: Dan Schneider or anybody else with a good imagination and taste for comedy. Keke Palmer and Ashley Argota are born actors with such an amazing talent but its a true shame that their talent gets wasted in this show.

Below average sitcom, but not terrible

Author: TorontoLiver from Toronto, Ontario
16 June 2012

True Jackson VP is a show with an oddball plot and even odder characters. The show is funny at times, but isn't funny enough to satisfy most. Another Nickelodeon attempt at comedy, but mostly the show just ain't that funny!

True Jackson is about a 15 year old girl with the same name who gets chosen to become a vice president of a major fashion label called Mad Styles. True Jackson is the protagonist and the best character on the show. She always does the right thing, and never gets (too) angry. Set in New York, True has to deal with her REALLY high maintenance co-worker Amanda Cantwell, a woman who isn't too thrilled about having to work with True, a 15 year old girl. Amanda is extremely sarcastic and talkative, and a total suck-up to the boss. She would probably jump off a building for him! Then there's True's bubble-headed friends, Lulu and Ryan. Lulu's an average girly girl, not the brightest girl, but she's sort of smart in her own way. Then there's Ryan, a total idiot who is a HORRIBLE character inside out! HE gives the show its poor image, people. Max Madigan is the boss of Mad Styles, and sort of an airhead who can still do his job. Then there's Oscar, the odd male secretary, and Jimmy, the mail carrier who is literally obsessed with his work.

This show I wouldn't really recommend if you have high expectations. The characters are annoying (True isn't), and the plot is silly. A 15 year old girl becoming vice president of a New York fashion label? That doesn't happen in real life. Skip this show and see something better.

Awesome Show

Author: marebare10 from United States
25 April 2010

Unlike the typical Nickelodeoon shows True Jackson Vp by far has more variety and depth than those common icarly and the troop crap they call shows. The cast have great childish humor and moderate humor that can attract both audiences and portrays great acting skills from Keke Palmer. Though sometimes it seems over done the end result always impresses me and never leaves the viewer disappointed. So I commend the cast and a big applaud to Keke for keeping it real. For any of you fools out there who think it is a bad show because of the plot or humor check again and see how similar and foolish its plot is as to icarlys.It is also about time that they get a teen who hasn't been posted in the tabloids for underage drinking, breakups, nude images, or drugs of some sort.

This show grew on me:-)

Author: zendeling84 from Netherlands
7 October 2010

When i first saw this show i too thought, like so many others, it was going to be really lame. First of all i'm from Europe: i didn't know Keke Palmer. After watching a few episodes this show grew on me.

Like many have already said the cast has great chemistry. The writing isn't always "outstanding":quite an overstatement there lol! But what keeps it together, for me, is this wonderful talented cast.

When i look back at Kenan an Kell or a corny show like Saved by the bell (yes i'm from that time period and yes i loved it!) what was it really about? The stories at times (or most times) were not that good: It was meant to make you laugh, and laugh i did!!

So I do agree the writing needs to improve when it comes to the jokes/storyline. But i don't think that this show is really THAT bad in comparison to other shows (i-carly,big time rush,sonny with a chance).

Conclusion this show (for me) does what it's supposed to do: have children/families enjoy themselves for thirty minutes or so nothing more nothing less!

Very disappointed

Author: Leon Trahin from Los Angeles
12 November 2008

I was excited about this show, as I previewed the pilot script before production. The jokes are just not delivered. The lead child actors are great, specially Keke. She has a bright future, on another show. The actors who play the adults, Amanda in particular, fail miserably. I wish they had cast some quality talent for those roles, but I suspect the low budget limited them. The writing is fair, but again, with the poor acting and direction, the comedy fails.

I suggest that Nickelodeon scraps the series and gives Keke another chance in something else. She is a talented actress with talent to offer if she was given a chance.

This show is needs to improve NOW

Author: OpenHeart2 from United States
9 February 2009

This show, is so stupid, but at the same time I want it to get better. I can see a whole lot of potential in the show. I don't know what it is, maybe its just the acting or the actors. Whatever it is, it needs to be fixed in a hurry. Or make some dramatic changed by the next season if there is a next season. Keke palmer is a wonderful teenage actress, i see her doing many big time movies in the future, but television is not her thing.

There are some many wrongs and a few rights with this show. The only reason i watch it is because i hope that the acting change or the characters. The plot seems very interesting, a 15 year old girl becomes VP, she have deal with the meanie's of the industry. the actors make the plot so bad its probably why a lot of kids don't watch it. But hopeful keke and the rest of the cast can step their game up, and show the show true colors =]

True Jackson VP is an Excellent Show on how NOT to make a great show

Author: Brandon Corleone from United States
8 February 2009

First of all when i first saw this TV show i was expecting failure, and i was right!. The plot is terrible, a 15 year old girl meets a clothing designer who likes her pants then just gives her a VP job at his company (what the fudge) very lame plot. The comedy is very dry more like a little kids dream built out of non-realistic plot holes and lame jokes. The acting is terrible (Common for shows like this) It's boring,rushed and (insert bad adjective here) it tries to do what shows like one on one and family matters does but fails terrible. The adults act like children in this show and support characters have no interesting background. If your looking for a show that shows you How NOT to make a great show then this is it.