IMDb > "Big Time Rush" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Big Time Rush"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Big Time Rush" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Big Time Rush is a Big Time Hit

Author: hollywoodinside from United States
6 December 2009

I am a Critic for a Hollywood Magazine and I was forced to watch the show with my son who is 12 years old. I had ZERO interest in watching a new show about boy bands but I must say I was completely blown away.

Creator, Scott Fellows (Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide), did a bang up job of creating a show that is funny to adults and a slam dunk for kids. In this "Entourage meets The Monkeys" series, Kendall, Logan, James and Carlos are signed by Record Producer Gustavo Rocque. The dynamic of the show is wonderful. Kendall doesn't really want to be famous but is born for stardom and is the Dark Horse of the group, James wants to be famous and is hilarious as a self involved pretty boy, Carlos is the sweet "Johnny Knoxville" of the group and is always ready to fight for his friends, Logan is the comic relief with the nervous tension of a young Matthew Perry and then of course there is Gustavo Rocque, the ego-maniacal record producer that seems like a cross between Harvey Weinstein and Simon Cowell.

Brilliantly acted and a fun musical romp for the entire family. This show will surely surpass all others like it and redefine the family comedy.

I will be watching this with my son every week....I hope you do as well.

"I'm going to need to take a minute...I'm going to need to take a minute right now"

Give it a chance!!!

Author: messij37 from United States
20 March 2012

I did not want anything to do with this show at first. I'm 33. I like rock/punk music. But I accidentally watched this show once and was hooked. It may take longer than that for others, but it's so worth it.

Yes, there are a lot of sound effects. But I don't think people realize how important they actually are to the show. They help mindlessly guide the audience as to what feeling they are supposed to be having. (Much like canned laughter or sappy music on any other show. I mean, think about it, canned laughter is WEIRD, but we accept it as part of the show because we know where to laugh.) The show is genuinely funny, and the actors are pretty adept. I don't think enough people give James Maslow the appreciation he deserves for playing such a shallow character as well as he does. You may hate the character for his selfishness, but that's the point. Maslow's faces and timing are flawless. All the other boys are just as good. They are clearly overacting a la The Monkees, but that's what makes it great.

To top it off, they all have amazing voices. I was shocked at the sounds coming out of these boys. (Mostly because I was expecting them to be terrible.) Kendall's voice is way beyond his years. Yes, there are some auto-tunes here and there. But I dare you to find a song these days that doesn't have that crap in it. It's "cool" for some reason. But these boys do have chops. I would also like to say that their covers of Beatles songs are also shockingly good.

I have forced several of my friends to watch this show, all unwillingly, and they all admitted that it is pretty funny. The show doesn't take itself seriously. It reminds me also of the show 2gether from MTV that I thought was hilarious.

Do I think their music is amazing? No. But it's catchy and fun. And if Snoop likes them, how can you go wrong??

Slapstick cartoon-like fun

Author: djac13 from United States
16 May 2010

After having to intention to watch the show, my 6-year-old daughter got me watching it. At first I would watch to appease her, then I found myself liking some of the characters, and pretty much enjoying the slapstick humour aspect of the show.

This show does not take itself seriously. If it ever did, it would end up poking fun at itself.

Sure the acting isn't always great, but there is some growth to the characters, especially the Gustavo record producer character. He may yell at the boys, calling them his "dogs", but he's also shown as the fellow who writes their songs, and tries to make them sound good. His childhood was taken away from him by his mother who wanted him to be a master pianist. Kinda gives the character some background.

The music is what you'd expect, but then again you should think the same about the Monkees music. C'mon now, "Big Time Rush" is about as catchy as "We're the Monkees", especially for kids these days.

Each of the boys have their own special characteristics, and it would be interesting to see more story revolving around each character.

With the sound effects, music, some of the story lines and most of the humour, it's very much a live-action cartoon.

I don't go out of my way to watch the show, but enjoy watching it with my daughter.

Big Time Guilty Pleasure

Author: bartallenii from USA
21 October 2010

BIG TIME RUSH is the best live action Nick show since Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, which isn't a shock since it's from the same creator.

The series tells the tale of four hockey playing teens from Minnesota who follow their dreams of becoming famous in Hollywood. Yes, the show is comparable to the Monkees, which is a positive. BTR is miles better than the horrible Jonas/Jonas L.A. over on Disney, plus the BTR guys can actually act AND sing.

If you're in the mood for a wacky comedy that actually IS funny, go for the Big Time.

Exactly What One Would Expect

Author: ima_confusedditz from United States
28 November 2009

I'm not in the business of awarding stars, so I'm really not sure what to give this show.

It was cute...for the audience it was directed at. Of course, you won't enjoy it as much if you're an older viewer, but you could still get a few chuckles out of it.

The storyline was easy to follow (four friends from a generic state with a generic common interest who get the chance to be famous), and the characters were interesting enough. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Minnesota (one of my favorite states, in fact), nor is there anything wrong with hockey. I just don't see either of those facts playing a large part in the series. It was stated SEVERAL times that they are just four (in case, you didn't know how to count) hockey players from Minnesota, but the closest we got to seeing any hockey was a quick scrimmage with brooms during a short montage.

The actors were awesome, to say the least. Kendall, Carlos, Logan, and James did extremely well with their character development. Logan (he was my favorite) reminds me of Bret Harrison and Arnie Pantoja (circa Sydney White), so that was adorable. James definitely pulled off the fact that he's supposed to be full of himself, but his character didn't really show the fact that he cared about his "buds", too. Carlos was...interesting. I'm still trying to figure out which part he will be playing. The show kind of jumped back and forth with both he and Logan playing the cute, likable dork. And Kendall, Kendall was great. That's all there is to it. Kendall's sister (played by Ciara Bravo) was hilarious, and his mom (Challen Cates) did the whole somewhat-clueless thing quite well. Steve Glickman and Tanya Chisholm rounded off the ensemble, and did great in their respective parts.

So, check it out if you like that sort of thing. Hannah Montana meets the Naked Brothers Band and such. It's funny, and will surely do well with the preteen female audience. (Though, I'm sure all the boys are late teens to early twenties and are JUST A BIT too old for them...Sorry girls.) Anyways, yes. Watch the show and whatnot.

It'll Give You A Big Time Rush

Author: Steven Van from Boston
16 December 2010

Big Time Rush at first seems like just another pretty boy band out to rake the money off of little girls right? That's what I thought at first and couldn't stand any of the ads for them... but one fateful day I got fired from work and had nothing to do. I watched several episodes and I was hooked.

Big Time Rush gives the point of view of a boy band that isn't usually seen on television. The 4 boys were very lucky to get auditioned for their parts and they all do their bits really well. Even in the first episode they give us a look at what it could be like to audition for a part, and it's quite funny too. You would expect their pretty faces and singing to win the intimidating and volcano ready to blow Gustavo but instead all of them fail, with funny reactions to their failures. However as you would expect, one of the boys, although trying to get back at Gustavo for humiliating his friends manages to win him over. The supporting cast are also enjoyable, the bitter hotel manager Mr. Bitters, Lightning the wonder dog, Ciara Bravo as the devious child, these characters is what makes BTR enjoyable gives it the difference over Disney shows.

I also at first didn't like any of the songs. Somehow they've crawled into my brain and now they are my most played songs on my iPod and when I workout it definitely gives me the rush I need to power through my most intense moments. They're contagiously catchy and inspiring. Even the songs about girls such as Any Kind of Guy, Boyfriend and Til I Forget About You. The songs just aren't like other boy bands or other pop songs which is why I really like these guys. I've also checked the top pop songs for the iTunes essentials don't get me wrong. I actually think all those songs are terrible and autotuned to a mess. I can't tell if Big Time Rush is autotuned or not, make that claim if you want, but these boys can sing and I'm rooting for them all the way.

And on my slow days off, I like watching an episode of Big Time Rush while cycling for 30 minutes. The jokes while usually how you can expect things to go are delivered really well with their reactions. Logan, James and Carlos are my favorite because I find them to be the silliest and easily shaken. I laugh every time they do a shrilly scream.

Try not to be so close-minded. Just sit back and relax and enjoy the show without thinking about the awful Jonas Brothers or the dreaded Justin Bieber or any other boy singer. These guys are not that bad and there's even moments when they taunt Justin Bieber.

All I can say is, great show, good for kids growing up to look for role models and great songs. I hope they continue to throw out some more original episodes and songs and I look forward to seeing more.

"Big Time Terror" is what great TV is made of!!!!!!! CLASSIC TV!!!!

Author: Paul RuddLOVer from United States
19 May 2010

I have never written a review before. I am a single mom with 3 kids and every week we watch Big Time Rush. My boys love the show but last week their father, my ex, came over for dinner and after a very tense family meal (which i made from scratch!), we sat down as a family and watched the most recent episode of Big Time Rush, "Big Time Terror". I'd be lying if I didn't say that in this case, TV brought us together...well dinner brought us together, but big time rush kept us laughing all night! oh and btw, Gustavo Rocque (Stephen Kramer Glickman) is one of the most underrated funny men on the planet. he is super funny in big time terror and its great to see him getting more screen time. i watch for him, my kids watch for the boys, all and all its a big time hit for the whole family 50 thumbs up! rocque on! Tracy Donaldson

...Yah Gotta Live It Big Time.

Author: m_rod2013 from United States
16 March 2015

This show has just always been my favorite. It's so enjoyable, endearing, and never fails to make me smile. Very amusing. My mother, my 10 year-old brother, and I (a college student) all adore it, and used to watch them together as they aired. No matter how many times an episode is seen it remains just as enjoyable (and let me tell you I've seen these episodes each more times than I can count!). I know it's not for everyone, and of course it includes some "kid-show" jokes, but overall I think it's wonderful. My favorite thing about this series is how it self-consciously makes fun of itself, and also the entertainment industry. There are countless references (I'm a sucker for references) and jabs at movies or singers or actors, and there's a sly break of the fourth wall in there once in awhile. Dialogue can be very sharp, episode plots usually tie in pretty great. Timing and purposefully exaggerated facial expressions are fantastic. Some good running gags. Some actual character development over the course of time. Plus, the guest appearances are amusing...or just crack me up (yes, I'm talking about Erik Estrada): Jon Stewart, Gavin DeGraw, Snoop Dogg, Fabio, Jordin Sparks, Chris Masters, etc. (I like to play a game during episodes, too, called "how many times will my mother point out a former soap opera star that appears on here").

Overall, though, this show just makes me happy. Kendall Schmidt, James Maslow, Logan Henderson, and Carlos Garcia are all really great dudes, and very truly talented. Their friendship shines through into the show, and makes the boys' "shenanigans" that much more great to watch. I mean, hockey players, by pure luck, turned pop stars. The idea is just great to me. No matter how famous they get, they always stay four hockey players from small town, Minnesota. And that's charming.

I wanna mention the set-up of Kendall's family, too, just because. I like that it doesn't have that usual "happy happy whole traditional family" thing. Jennifer Knight is a single mother, taking care of her young daughter, Katie, and her teenage son, Kendall, by herself and the father is never mentioned. You can see at times how she gets overwhelmed, only wanting the best for Kendall, Katie, and the rest of the guys, but she's a strong, lovable character. And I like the "realness" of that. They don't need a "full" family because the support they all have for each other is amazing. I just wanted to add that! Because it's one of my favorite things. The characters being like one huge family. It makes it less one-dimensional feeling like many other "kid-shows" are. I feel immersed in it as I watch.

So, again, maybe it's not for everyone, but it CAN be for everyone.

(I'm told they're reminiscent of: "The Monkees!")

Good show

Author: SanteeFats from United States
8 June 2013

This series is kind of sophomoric but it is also very funny. The four friends from Minnesota, hockey players at heart, get discovered as a singing group and are taken to Los Angeles for a demo. Of course the demo goes places and they get signed to a contract. They get put up at a fairly posh hotel along with one of the four's mother and younger sister. The younger sister, played very well by Ciara Bravo, is a bright spot with her smarts and ideas that she is always trying to turn a buck on. The mother is who keeps everyone grounded most of the time. Of course all four boys turn out to have girl problems at some point in the series and it is always cute and funny. At the start there are three girls at the hotel known as the Jennifer's because all are named Jennifer. They are stuck up and pretty as hell. They have since disappeared after a couple of seasons, I don't know why but it is a lose as far as I am concerned. Jo is Kendall's girlfriend and I can not get over her eyebrows at all. Lucy is back at the hotel and is after Kendall. If I were him I sure as hell would go for Lucy over Jo.

Big Time Rush acting like Monkees

Author: bwhately from Australia
29 May 2011

Big Time Rush is the best show on Nickolodeon! Sure, some may simply throw it aside as an overacted and over the top kind of show, but that's what it's meant to be. At least it's characters are exciting to watch, and for the audience the show is targeted at it's how it is meant to be.

The show is more or less modeled after 'The Monkees,' so no wonder it's done so well. So the characters are completely different from the Monkees and so is the music, but I think it's obvious that the gist of 4 guys that have been put together in a show and have created a 'boy' band because of that show is simply showing that history repeats itself. Not to mention the fact that the humor of the show is very similar to 'The Monkees.' For instance; the episode Big Time Ghost when they are continually running in and out of doors away from the ghost, while music is playing and it is sped up in a comical fashion. I've seen that someone... oh yes, I remember 'The Monkees'!

Although I don't think people should watch Big Time Rush thinking it's going to be like 'The Monkees,' because it is it's own show, and I think that the people who would have watched 'The Monkees' are not really the target audience for this show anyway but Big Time Rush is simple, and it's funny, and it's cute, and I loved it. And I think next time you are sitting around wanting to watch a Nickolodeon show I think Big Time Rush is the one to go.

Kendall the main character is like the glue of the group, he's lovable and friendly, and he's always the one to get the group out of a jam. He has a younger sister Katie who continually persists her efforts to make money from her brothers band. His mother, is somewhat clueless but very caring. He was the character who was originally chosen by their manager to be a singer, he was the only one who didn't want to be a singer, but the manager saw a quality in Kendall that he really liked. Kendall says he will only become a singer, if all 3 of his friends can come with him and become a singing group, hence he started Big Time Rush.

James is so egotistical, he loves what he sees in the mirror a bit to much for my liking. I especially did not like James when I begun to watch this show, I found him way to pretty, in a weird way, and his ego was annoying. However, as the show progressed we notice that even though James still has a massive ego, there is more to his character then that, and he is actually a very caring friend, and is character is developed more fully as the show progresses and we are able to put his ego aside and look past that.

Logan is the brain. I don't know what else to really say about Logan. He's cool. You got to love Logan. He comes up with ideas to help the rest of the Big Time Rush crew, often. Logan is a worry wart. He worries about everything, because he is smart, he knows what might happen from certain situations, that make him worry long before his has to.

Carlos is the energy. Live surges off of Carlos. He is a bit dopey, but he is lovable. He makes the most of what comes to him, but he is also scared easily, and he is gullible, he wears a helmet often, and when he was asked why he wore a helmet, a rock flung out of no where, and hit him on the head, (while he was wearing the helmet) and he said, 'That was a rock,' as his explanation. He attracts chaos, and is very clumsy.

The characters are lovable, and interesting to watch. It's a good show. It's just missing one thing 'The Monkees' had. A British guy.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]