IMDb > "Big Time Rush" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Big Time Rush"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Big Time Rush" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Big Time Rush is a Big Time Hit

Author: hollywoodinside from United States
6 December 2009

I am a Critic for a Hollywood Magazine and I was forced to watch the show with my son who is 12 years old. I had ZERO interest in watching a new show about boy bands but I must say I was completely blown away.

Creator, Scott Fellows (Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide), did a bang up job of creating a show that is funny to adults and a slam dunk for kids. In this "Entourage meets The Monkeys" series, Kendall, Logan, James and Carlos are signed by Record Producer Gustavo Rocque. The dynamic of the show is wonderful. Kendall doesn't really want to be famous but is born for stardom and is the Dark Horse of the group, James wants to be famous and is hilarious as a self involved pretty boy, Carlos is the sweet "Johnny Knoxville" of the group and is always ready to fight for his friends, Logan is the comic relief with the nervous tension of a young Matthew Perry and then of course there is Gustavo Rocque, the ego-maniacal record producer that seems like a cross between Harvey Weinstein and Simon Cowell.

Brilliantly acted and a fun musical romp for the entire family. This show will surely surpass all others like it and redefine the family comedy.

I will be watching this with my son every week....I hope you do as well.

"I'm going to need to take a minute...I'm going to need to take a minute right now"

Give it a chance!!!

Author: messij37 from United States
20 March 2012

I did not want anything to do with this show at first. I'm 33. I like rock/punk music. But I accidentally watched this show once and was hooked. It may take longer than that for others, but it's so worth it.

Yes, there are a lot of sound effects. But I don't think people realize how important they actually are to the show. They help mindlessly guide the audience as to what feeling they are supposed to be having. (Much like canned laughter or sappy music on any other show. I mean, think about it, canned laughter is WEIRD, but we accept it as part of the show because we know where to laugh.) The show is genuinely funny, and the actors are pretty adept. I don't think enough people give James Maslow the appreciation he deserves for playing such a shallow character as well as he does. You may hate the character for his selfishness, but that's the point. Maslow's faces and timing are flawless. All the other boys are just as good. They are clearly overacting a la The Monkees, but that's what makes it great.

To top it off, they all have amazing voices. I was shocked at the sounds coming out of these boys. (Mostly because I was expecting them to be terrible.) Kendall's voice is way beyond his years. Yes, there are some auto-tunes here and there. But I dare you to find a song these days that doesn't have that crap in it. It's "cool" for some reason. But these boys do have chops. I would also like to say that their covers of Beatles songs are also shockingly good.

I have forced several of my friends to watch this show, all unwillingly, and they all admitted that it is pretty funny. The show doesn't take itself seriously. It reminds me also of the show 2gether from MTV that I thought was hilarious.

Do I think their music is amazing? No. But it's catchy and fun. And if Snoop likes them, how can you go wrong??

Exactly What One Would Expect

Author: ima_confusedditz from United States
28 November 2009

I'm not in the business of awarding stars, so I'm really not sure what to give this show.

It was cute...for the audience it was directed at. Of course, you won't enjoy it as much if you're an older viewer, but you could still get a few chuckles out of it.

The storyline was easy to follow (four friends from a generic state with a generic common interest who get the chance to be famous), and the characters were interesting enough. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Minnesota (one of my favorite states, in fact), nor is there anything wrong with hockey. I just don't see either of those facts playing a large part in the series. It was stated SEVERAL times that they are just four (in case, you didn't know how to count) hockey players from Minnesota, but the closest we got to seeing any hockey was a quick scrimmage with brooms during a short montage.

The actors were awesome, to say the least. Kendall, Carlos, Logan, and James did extremely well with their character development. Logan (he was my favorite) reminds me of Bret Harrison and Arnie Pantoja (circa Sydney White), so that was adorable. James definitely pulled off the fact that he's supposed to be full of himself, but his character didn't really show the fact that he cared about his "buds", too. Carlos was...interesting. I'm still trying to figure out which part he will be playing. The show kind of jumped back and forth with both he and Logan playing the cute, likable dork. And Kendall, Kendall was great. That's all there is to it. Kendall's sister (played by Ciara Bravo) was hilarious, and his mom (Challen Cates) did the whole somewhat-clueless thing quite well. Steve Glickman and Tanya Chisholm rounded off the ensemble, and did great in their respective parts.

So, check it out if you like that sort of thing. Hannah Montana meets the Naked Brothers Band and such. It's funny, and will surely do well with the preteen female audience. (Though, I'm sure all the boys are late teens to early twenties and are JUST A BIT too old for them...Sorry girls.) Anyways, yes. Watch the show and whatnot.

Big Time Guilty Pleasure

Author: bartallenii from USA
21 October 2010

BIG TIME RUSH is the best live action Nick show since Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide, which isn't a shock since it's from the same creator.

The series tells the tale of four hockey playing teens from Minnesota who follow their dreams of becoming famous in Hollywood. Yes, the show is comparable to the Monkees, which is a positive. BTR is miles better than the horrible Jonas/Jonas L.A. over on Disney, plus the BTR guys can actually act AND sing.

If you're in the mood for a wacky comedy that actually IS funny, go for the Big Time.

Slapstick cartoon-like fun

Author: djac13 from United States
16 May 2010

After having to intention to watch the show, my 6-year-old daughter got me watching it. At first I would watch to appease her, then I found myself liking some of the characters, and pretty much enjoying the slapstick humour aspect of the show.

This show does not take itself seriously. If it ever did, it would end up poking fun at itself.

Sure the acting isn't always great, but there is some growth to the characters, especially the Gustavo record producer character. He may yell at the boys, calling them his "dogs", but he's also shown as the fellow who writes their songs, and tries to make them sound good. His childhood was taken away from him by his mother who wanted him to be a master pianist. Kinda gives the character some background.

The music is what you'd expect, but then again you should think the same about the Monkees music. C'mon now, "Big Time Rush" is about as catchy as "We're the Monkees", especially for kids these days.

Each of the boys have their own special characteristics, and it would be interesting to see more story revolving around each character.

With the sound effects, music, some of the story lines and most of the humour, it's very much a live-action cartoon.

I don't go out of my way to watch the show, but enjoy watching it with my daughter.

"Big Time Terror" is what great TV is made of!!!!!!! CLASSIC TV!!!!

Author: Paul RuddLOVer from United States
19 May 2010

I have never written a review before. I am a single mom with 3 kids and every week we watch Big Time Rush. My boys love the show but last week their father, my ex, came over for dinner and after a very tense family meal (which i made from scratch!), we sat down as a family and watched the most recent episode of Big Time Rush, "Big Time Terror". I'd be lying if I didn't say that in this case, TV brought us together...well dinner brought us together, but big time rush kept us laughing all night! oh and btw, Gustavo Rocque (Stephen Kramer Glickman) is one of the most underrated funny men on the planet. he is super funny in big time terror and its great to see him getting more screen time. i watch for him, my kids watch for the boys, all and all its a big time hit for the whole family 50 thumbs up! rocque on! Tracy Donaldson

It'll Give You A Big Time Rush

Author: Steven Van from Boston
16 December 2010

Big Time Rush at first seems like just another pretty boy band out to rake the money off of little girls right? That's what I thought at first and couldn't stand any of the ads for them... but one fateful day I got fired from work and had nothing to do. I watched several episodes and I was hooked.

Big Time Rush gives the point of view of a boy band that isn't usually seen on television. The 4 boys were very lucky to get auditioned for their parts and they all do their bits really well. Even in the first episode they give us a look at what it could be like to audition for a part, and it's quite funny too. You would expect their pretty faces and singing to win the intimidating and volcano ready to blow Gustavo but instead all of them fail, with funny reactions to their failures. However as you would expect, one of the boys, although trying to get back at Gustavo for humiliating his friends manages to win him over. The supporting cast are also enjoyable, the bitter hotel manager Mr. Bitters, Lightning the wonder dog, Ciara Bravo as the devious child, these characters is what makes BTR enjoyable gives it the difference over Disney shows.

I also at first didn't like any of the songs. Somehow they've crawled into my brain and now they are my most played songs on my iPod and when I workout it definitely gives me the rush I need to power through my most intense moments. They're contagiously catchy and inspiring. Even the songs about girls such as Any Kind of Guy, Boyfriend and Til I Forget About You. The songs just aren't like other boy bands or other pop songs which is why I really like these guys. I've also checked the top pop songs for the iTunes essentials don't get me wrong. I actually think all those songs are terrible and autotuned to a mess. I can't tell if Big Time Rush is autotuned or not, make that claim if you want, but these boys can sing and I'm rooting for them all the way.

And on my slow days off, I like watching an episode of Big Time Rush while cycling for 30 minutes. The jokes while usually how you can expect things to go are delivered really well with their reactions. Logan, James and Carlos are my favorite because I find them to be the silliest and easily shaken. I laugh every time they do a shrilly scream.

Try not to be so close-minded. Just sit back and relax and enjoy the show without thinking about the awful Jonas Brothers or the dreaded Justin Bieber or any other boy singer. These guys are not that bad and there's even moments when they taunt Justin Bieber.

All I can say is, great show, good for kids growing up to look for role models and great songs. I hope they continue to throw out some more original episodes and songs and I look forward to seeing more.

Big Time Rush acting like Monkees

Author: bwhately from Australia
29 May 2011

Big Time Rush is the best show on Nickolodeon! Sure, some may simply throw it aside as an overacted and over the top kind of show, but that's what it's meant to be. At least it's characters are exciting to watch, and for the audience the show is targeted at it's how it is meant to be.

The show is more or less modeled after 'The Monkees,' so no wonder it's done so well. So the characters are completely different from the Monkees and so is the music, but I think it's obvious that the gist of 4 guys that have been put together in a show and have created a 'boy' band because of that show is simply showing that history repeats itself. Not to mention the fact that the humor of the show is very similar to 'The Monkees.' For instance; the episode Big Time Ghost when they are continually running in and out of doors away from the ghost, while music is playing and it is sped up in a comical fashion. I've seen that someone... oh yes, I remember 'The Monkees'!

Although I don't think people should watch Big Time Rush thinking it's going to be like 'The Monkees,' because it is it's own show, and I think that the people who would have watched 'The Monkees' are not really the target audience for this show anyway but Big Time Rush is simple, and it's funny, and it's cute, and I loved it. And I think next time you are sitting around wanting to watch a Nickolodeon show I think Big Time Rush is the one to go.

Kendall the main character is like the glue of the group, he's lovable and friendly, and he's always the one to get the group out of a jam. He has a younger sister Katie who continually persists her efforts to make money from her brothers band. His mother, is somewhat clueless but very caring. He was the character who was originally chosen by their manager to be a singer, he was the only one who didn't want to be a singer, but the manager saw a quality in Kendall that he really liked. Kendall says he will only become a singer, if all 3 of his friends can come with him and become a singing group, hence he started Big Time Rush.

James is so egotistical, he loves what he sees in the mirror a bit to much for my liking. I especially did not like James when I begun to watch this show, I found him way to pretty, in a weird way, and his ego was annoying. However, as the show progressed we notice that even though James still has a massive ego, there is more to his character then that, and he is actually a very caring friend, and is character is developed more fully as the show progresses and we are able to put his ego aside and look past that.

Logan is the brain. I don't know what else to really say about Logan. He's cool. You got to love Logan. He comes up with ideas to help the rest of the Big Time Rush crew, often. Logan is a worry wart. He worries about everything, because he is smart, he knows what might happen from certain situations, that make him worry long before his has to.

Carlos is the energy. Live surges off of Carlos. He is a bit dopey, but he is lovable. He makes the most of what comes to him, but he is also scared easily, and he is gullible, he wears a helmet often, and when he was asked why he wore a helmet, a rock flung out of no where, and hit him on the head, (while he was wearing the helmet) and he said, 'That was a rock,' as his explanation. He attracts chaos, and is very clumsy.

The characters are lovable, and interesting to watch. It's a good show. It's just missing one thing 'The Monkees' had. A British guy.

Review From A Parent-Yes I Watch With My Kids

Author: katzinoire from United States
24 June 2010

I will be straight with you-I loathe Boy Bands with an unbridled passion, I think their mere existence was created to provide a purgatory on earth to make us suffer for the human race creating teen idols as we evolved. As one from the New Age meets Punk Rock age of the 80's-my children heard The Ramones, Queen and Metallica as opposed to Raffi. One of my proud moments was my daughter borrowing my Ramones shirt to wear to school, and my son bonding with his previously impossible Social Studies teacher based on their mutual love of Cream and The Rolling Stones. The concept of me enjoying a show about a pre-fab four boy band, fish outta water situation-they come from the Northern United States and are relocated West Coast-would normally be inconceivable.

However-I am a huge fan of parody and laughing. The show is a paradox because Nickelodeon wants to market the boys and sell their CDs, however they decided to go back to their roots-the Nickelodeon I recall watching endlessly during the age of "You Can't Do That On Television"-twisted, silly and true to the spirit of many of their shows, slinking in references to a variety of movies, pop culture references etc. with some twisted humor a la "Pete & Pete". This is why it is watchable for me.

Why, one may ask-do I watch this show? Simply because I believe it is my responsibility as a parent to watch TV with my children, to know what they see, what influences them etc. Ratings are nothing to me-I know what my children can handle and although I embark on several outdoor activities with them, at the end of the day after work-I am tired-however rather than lock myself in my room for "me time", I make it a point to have "we time" and watch with the children.

Upon learning the concept of this show-I was worried. However, these boys are adept at comedy. Add in David Anthony Higgins as the greedy Landlord and Steven Kramer Glickman as foils for the boys and you get some serious laughs.

The show has a skewed sense of humor, sound effects giving it a Chuck Jones feel to it. The cameo of Eric Estrada as Carlos' Policeman father was nothing short of brilliant-parents could laugh at the CHIPS reference and Estrada showed a great comedic talent. Fabio also made a cameo as a dream man-who the children kidnap to give the obviously widowed Mrs. Knight (Kendall's mother and the groups chaperone in CA) a perfect date. There is Buddah Bob-the handyman character that is introduced as someone that Mrs. Knight assumes is an Ax Murderer which is set up on a series of humorous scenarios where it looks like he is-a very telling side story on judging people-which also had the sweet enough to rot teeth perky neighbor girl end up being a psycho.

And it works. I laugh every episode. Gustavo-the band's manager-refers to the boys as dogs-but you eventually learn he actually LIKES them-noted by his assistant Kelly who really loves the boys since they are so goofy, silly and real.

The friendship shown between the boys-who we learn have relocated to California to form their band is cute. We find out they are simply hockey players who wound up being discovered. One of them, Carlos wears his helmet all the time-a running joke throughout the show. Kendall, the sort of leader of the boys has his mom and his adorable little sister, Katie (brilliantly portrayed by a talented Ciara Bravo) is shown to be adjusting to his new status, Logan is the group's geek genius, Carlos is the goof one,James is the least explored so I am hoping they give some more definition. The boys are adjusting to a new world of competitive musicians, dealing with normal teen stuff like girls and things like that. The show is too silly to deal with actual issues like drug use, however they replace normally controversial issues with a humorous version of it-Buddah Bob's introduction as a storyline on judging people.

All in all though, the show reminds us constantly that it isn't reality by the slapstick and silly situations. It laughs at itself, which is the best of comedy.

The performances, the silly stories etc make the show very watchable-a good bonus when one watches TV with their kids.

Good show

Author: SanteeFats from United States
8 June 2013

This series is kind of sophomoric but it is also very funny. The four friends from Minnesota, hockey players at heart, get discovered as a singing group and are taken to Los Angeles for a demo. Of course the demo goes places and they get signed to a contract. They get put up at a fairly posh hotel along with one of the four's mother and younger sister. The younger sister, played very well by Ciara Bravo, is a bright spot with her smarts and ideas that she is always trying to turn a buck on. The mother is who keeps everyone grounded most of the time. Of course all four boys turn out to have girl problems at some point in the series and it is always cute and funny. At the start there are three girls at the hotel known as the Jennifer's because all are named Jennifer. They are stuck up and pretty as hell. They have since disappeared after a couple of seasons, I don't know why but it is a lose as far as I am concerned. Jo is Kendall's girlfriend and I can not get over her eyebrows at all. Lucy is back at the hotel and is after Kendall. If I were him I sure as hell would go for Lucy over Jo.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]