IMDb > Jennifer's Body (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jennifer's Body

Jennifer's Body More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 30: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Jennifer's Body

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
31 December 2009

Emo rock band, Low Shoulder, seek fame and fortune, and decide to follow instructions from a "Satanic handbook" offering who they believe is a virgin sacrifice to Lucifer not knowing that she has been with a guy in the past. What happens is that the sacrifice, a high school princess named Jennifer(Megan Fox), becomes demon possessed, gaining a carnivorous appetite for human flesh. Jennifer's best friend since childhood, Needy(Amanda Seyfried), knows about her condition, and as the body count rises, must stop her before her own boyfriend, Chip(Johnny Simmons)becomes a target. Needy knows that she must be present at the Devil's Kettle high school's Spring Formal Dance, because such an event provides a feast for Jennifer to choose from.

This format provides Diablo Cody's script an ability to touch on such relevant topics as "selling your soul" for stardom, the conflicts which can split apart a friendship(..and how such a relationship is examined when something drastic changes both parties), and the way media and other outlets exploit Columbine-type(..and other high school)tragedies, while we also see the all-too-realistic harsh aftermaths inflicted on loved ones.

Still, Cody's script, while provocative along with her trademark hipster dialogue(..acknowledging the tech-savvy generation while also carefully establishing characters who still dwell somewhat in the real world we live in), doesn't dwell on the gratuitous elements, and this film could've easily been a hell of a lot sleazier(..the film could've wound up like a Poison Ivy or Wild Things sequel, except with demonic, cannibalistic overtones). The movie never really goes too far over the top in regards to gore(..which it could have, if director Karyn Kusama or writer Diablo Cody so wished)and there's no sex at all.

My favorite scene, and there's something more to it than just feeding those like me who get major aroused by it, has Needy and Jennifer sharing what seems to be a very meaningful, intimate exchange of delicate kisses, interrupted when both reawaken to the events that had currently transpired..the fact that she had just eaten another high school boy.

Megan Fox, as this seems like a star vehicle for her, really doesn't expand on her character, and there seems to be little personality(..other than the cultural stereotype of sexpot who can devour any hormonal male within her frequency), just an empty vessel with smallish, seductive body, at times dressed in little..Seyfried(..who isn't ugly by any stretch of the imagination), on the other hand, carries this movie all the way as a "nerdier" teen who has clung to the friendship with Jennifer, and now must contend with the fact that she is a monster who must be stopped or else the homicides and funerals will continue. If anything, and this is quite a twist of fate, Seyfried might've established herself as a major star with this movie, as Page did with Juno. JK Simmons is hilarious as a one armed teacher always sentimentalizing on the murders of kinds in his school as the class must further dwell on the horrific details of fallen fellow students they once knew. Primarily Jennifer's dialogue features Cody's celebrated "witty" lines regarding female bodily fluids and pop culture references..though, there's plenty of this to go around, throughout the cast.

Got what I expected....Very Enjoyable!

Author: dgl_65 from Canada
31 December 2009

I take a fresh look at every movie , I don't compare one to the other. So looking at Jennifer's Body I must say I enjoyed it! Megan Fox entertained me ,she was sexy in a evil kind a way. She acted just like so many teenage girls would and actually do!!!!! I did not come in expecting more then what I got. Megan is sexy and display's it well. No need to criticize her for it. And really I don't care if she can act she looks great on screen. Just look at Richard Gere , Brad Pitt and of course Tom Cruise there first movies were awful when it came to acting. But they looked great to the girls out there. What I am trying to say is give the girl a break... she looks fantastic.

A refreshing bit of originality.

Author: leetwanker from United States
28 December 2009

Let me preface this by saying that I'm very critical of movies, the Horror genre in particular. Whether it be bad acting, unrealistic dialog, or just a crap plot, it doesn't take much for me to dislike it, and being that it seems that every other movie that comes out is another horror flick, it takes something special for me to enjoy it.

However with this movie I didn't go in with very high expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a different type of movie, they don't spend all their energy trying to get you to jump out of your seat, they just tell what is a pretty good story save the ending, which was a bit of a stinker. That and I could have done with some nudity, it would've fit rather well in this flick. There's plenty of beauties that can act that don't have a problem stripping down for a well done skin scene, because you just know that Megan Fox is never going to deliver.

So, just as long as you don't go into it with super-high expectations, I think you'll enjoy it.

Justin

Jennifer's Body, a very good comedy- horror film....

Author: MovieGuy01 from United Kingdom
4 March 2010

I found the horror film Jennifer's Body to be a very good film. seeing as i do not usually like comedy horror films but i found this one to have a very good story to it. it is about two best friends, called Needy who happens to be reserved. and her best friend cheerleader Jennifer they share little in common with each other. They live in a small town called Devil's Kettle, They decide to go and see the concert of the rock 'n' roll band Low Shoulder but the band leader overhears that Jennifer is a virgin. the place is then set on fire, Jennifer is abducted by the band in their van. she later appears at her friends Needy's home covered in blood, and starts to throw up a dark liquid and starts behaving weird. Over the next days, many male classmates are found murdered with eaten parts of their bodies. Needy discovers that Jennifer was sacrificed by the Low Shoulder members in a black magic ritual. I found this to be a very good film 6/10

Creepy story, compentent acting ,well worth the rental.

Author: scotsmurphy from United Kingdom
2 March 2010

Jennifers body revolves around three main characters, Needy 'the girl from mama mia', her bf ,and Jennifer ,Megan Fox's character.

The film Opens with the Needy's characters in a mental institution and the movie retraces its steps to why and how needy ended up there ,its a pretty shocking and crazy set of events that lead her toward a mental breakdown .

I hadnt heard of this movie until i rented it one Friday ,there were decent actors in it and i enjoy my Horror movies so why not give it go and plus Megan Fox on the box cover looking mighty fine had a little something to do with it .From reading previous reviews and stateing the obvious ,this is not everyones cup of tea ,but to be fair to Megan Fox she does a good job i cant see how she could of played the character any different or any better, and Needy 'Amanada Seyfrieds' role is spot on also ,watch out for JK Simmons as the school teacher puts in a great little roll ,all in all i fairly enjoyed the movie it was paced well it was creepy it is your classic Friday night Horror ,it has blood ,it has scares ,it has at least one genuinely very creepy moment when Jennifer turns up at Needys house after there night out at the Bar .

I think the people who know they like this kind of movie will seek it out and enjoy it, it will be in a lot of DVD collections im sure as the years go by ,i would like to add that i did not know that Diablo Cody wrote this as i did not see the movie Juno ,i could tell that was not to my liking despite the Oscar .

So bottom line ,if your looking for a tight nice looking horror movie for the weekend Jennifers Body hits the mark 6.5 out of 10

Jennifers Body An Okay Comedy Thriller

Author: tburke85 from United States
12 January 2010

Jennifer's Body is an okay comedy horror from writer Diablo Cody most famous for Juno starring Ellen Page and Michael Cera. This movie isn't the disaster I thought it might be but it wasn't the greatest. Director Karyn Kusama does an all right job of making this film but some flaws with character development to name one weighs it down. I for one thought Megan Fox from Transformers was decent as the character of the title whose possessed by a demon. She looked normal for a change and not some glamor model who just stepped out of a magazine or something. Her co-star Amanda Seyfried is the stand out giving a very convincing and believable performance as Jennifer's best friend Needy. Her character goes through a major transformation during the course of the movie and she makes the film worth watching at least to me. Seyfried also had nice chemistry with Fox which made their friendship on screen believable. The rest of the cast of relative unknowns are good but not of them are fully developed except for maybe Johnny Simmons as Needy's boyfriend Chip. Kyle Gallner, J.K. Simmons, and Adam Brody show up for small roles who are effective in their limited screen time. The violence which involves Jennifer eating some boy are well executed and there's some humor. But the lack of character development and the dialogue at times is what weighed it down the most. Overall Jennifer's Body wasn't the best movie I've seen but it wasn't the worst either. It's a decent comedy thriller which I'm sure will please almost any die hard fan of the genre.

A well written, run-of-the-mill horror flick

Author: chrismsawin from United States
7 November 2009

Other than Megan Fox, the other factor that was pushed really hard in the advertising campaign for Jennifer's Body was the fact that Diablo Cody, the screenwriter for Juno, was attached to this film. To be honest, I think Cody's contributions are what I enjoyed most. The dialogue and humor of the film are both witty and laugh out loud funny at times. The writing, in general, made what otherwise would have been your average horror film worth watching and fairly entertaining in the long run.

This is probably the best we've seen acting-wise when it comes to Megan Fox. She isn't much other than eye candy in the Transformers films and was just an egotistical tramp that just so happened to be a rising star in How To Lose Friends and Alienate People. Other than the demonic possession part, her role in Jennifer's Body isn't too different from her role in How To Lose Friends and Alienate People. I'd give most of the credit to Cody's great writing, but Fox is actually able to display a bit more of her acting range this time around. While it probably isn't much compared to, you know, actresses with talent and she sounds like she has a cold most of the time, it's more than what we've seen from the actress in the past and everyone has to start somewhere.

The storyline doesn't offer much fresh material when it comes to horror films, but it gets the job done. The ending offers a bit of a different take on what would otherwise be an ending that would leave room for a sequel. With the conclusion to Jennifer's Body, however, it's more open ended. They could stop here and it would be a fine stand alone film, but it leaves enough questions unanswered that a sequel could see the light of day. Since the movie only made around $18 million worldwide, a sequel seeing theatrical distribution seems unlikely. A direct to DVD sequel with B-actors is definitely a possibility though. Aren't they always with horror films?

Jennifer's Body is superbly written on one hand, but feels like a run of the mill horror film on the other. The high point is definitely the screenplay by Diablo Cody, who manages to make Megan Fox's acting abilities look better than they ever have. But it seems the films enjoyment will rest solely on the shoulders of how much you enjoy horror films that don't shy away from blood. If you're not a fan of horror, I'd recommend staying away from this one. But if you're a fan of great writing, quite a bit of blood, horror, or Megan Fox's sex appeal then you should definitely give this one a go.

Interesting...but could have been better

Author: tanjareen-1 from Germany
3 November 2009

I think the movie was alright. It definitely had some interesting ideas and Diablo Cody IS a talented writer, even though i didn't like ALL lines (especially the 'tit'-line in the end wasn't as funny as they might have thought it would be). There were some marvellous camera shots...i especially remember the scene were Colin walks into the house and we get a shot of the whole street...it was kind of Freddy Krueger-ish and old-school but still very atmospheric. The music and the pictures showed an artistic side to the film which should not be overlooked. BUT the story itself lacked a bit of depth for me. The plot could have been more complex, adding more information about how something like this could happen and why the band got away with it and it wouldn't have destroyed the rather simple idea of the movie (this might seem like a contradiction, but in my head it isn't). I don't understand why Jennifer didn't want to kill the band because they were the ones who did that to her.

Even though it is supposed to be a horror comedy, the characters could still have been explored a little bit more (i think they did a good job in 'the faculty' for example). In the end, you couldn't really see a character difference between the possessed and the normal Jennifer. The only difference was that she became a killer, but it seemed as if she already was a bitch before and that her character didn't much change even though she was now possessed by a demon.

I don't want to overanalyze this movie. It was entertaining and weird...which isn't necessarily a bad thing...and it had an 'indi'vibe to it because of the way it was told. But it could have been much better.

As for Megan Fox: I'm a girl and i think she's alright.(no hate here, no jealousy because she really IS very pretty) I love the Transformer movies and as a part of these i can deal with her always being the HOT CHICK (even though they tend to overdo her 'sexy scenes'). But I really hope that one day we might see her in a different, more complex role and that will be the day that I can decide if she really is a good actress. She still did a good job here though and Seyfried was alright, too.

If you wanna see a somehow 'different' film that still sticks to the genre of horror comedy, you should check 'Jennifer's Body' out.

Definitely a movie of its own kind

Author: dschmeding from Germany
3 October 2009

The response on this movie seems really bad and I wonder why. Honestly I am not quite sure what to thing about "Jennifers Body" myself but any way you watch it this movie has a lot of identity. Maybe thats what forces the negative response. First of all... this is no horror movie. Everyone who really digs into this must be retarded. Come on, a nerd befriended with a hot chick in high-school who turns into a man eating demon after being sacrificed to Satan by a satanic rock band trying to boost their career. Yes, thats the basic plot... Jennifer turns into a demon because she is not the virgin that the rock band thinks she is ... which is a ridiculous thought anyway.

"Jennifers Body" is a totally off-beat movie that is mainly focusing on Jennifers nerd friend Needy who is thrown into the situation of dealing with her friends sexual appetite that suddenly turns very literal. There is a lot of critique in this movie about modern life style, clichés and lies. Most of all embodied by the pathetic rock band who get famous because the local bar burns down while they're playing and suddenly everyone looks on a small town for sensation and suffering. I liked how they used the sing-along song through the movie, its everywhere and the band turns to heroes although they are the opposite.

Even if you don't like this social commentary in the movie there is plenty of awesome scenes in the movie... like when Jennifer comes home at night after the bar burnt down, when she kills the jock and the animals are watching (reminded me of a less laughable version of Antichrist), the scene where they watch the band play their song in the bar and most of all the awesome ending of the movie (I mean after the credits began to roll). If anything then that is fresh ideas, so any rating of 1 or 2 stars is just ignorant.

I give you that "Jennifers body" is a little uneven at times but considering the mix of genres I can forgive that. I also loved how the different characters were portrayed. Needy and her boyfriend are shown in a very realistic manner with all their weaknesses and flaws. Their sex scene intercut with Jennifers man-eating was a great mixture of the Juno characterization of normal teenagers and the media stereotypes we are constantly fed. Much of Jennifers world was like an MTV music video. So after all this is a really interesting movie thats at times hard to watch and piece together.

She gets all the boys.

Author: Jennifer
8 November 2009

Surprisingly, I really liked Jennifer's Body. Never mind that I tend to avoid films that have horror, slasher or supernatural themes in them. In my opinion, Jennifer's Body isn't meant to be a serious thriller, which is pretty fine with me. It's more of a dark comedy than a real cult classic. I know a lot of people think that Megan Fox came across a little flat in some scenes but somehow, I think that's perfectly alright with the character she was trying to create. The small town popular girl who can be a bitch but who is also a little bit insecure and alone inside. And in the scenes that really count, I think everyone did a fantastic job. I especially loved the part where the character Jennifer was smearing make-up on her face. And the van flashback where the camera kinda zoomed in on the fear in her eyes. Needy's character, played by Amanda Seyfried, was great as well. I loved how she looked during prom. No, seriously. Her eyes were so determined.

And Adam Brody must be a really versatile actor because I didn't even know it was him until the credits rolled.