IMDb > Jennifer's Body (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jennifer's Body

Jennifer's Body More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Better than what trailer shows

Author: dejan8378 from Macedonia
1 September 2010

Enjoyable movie, though not fits right in horror genre, but it doesn't even trying that, nor comedy since is more, witty, funny and smart than hilarious and in the end is more clever and emotional than usual. Unfortunately all that didn't leave much space for scars, tension, anticipation which are basis for the genre in which after all this movie belongs. Trying to much to redefine the genre and approach at all, the director and screenwriter has for the most of it succeeded, but still the before mentioned flaws are leaving a hole on the final product, a small one but it is there.

Also, I can't resist saying that the short erotic scene between the two beautiful, young, talented actresses was amazing and well integrated in the story. Too bad the makers weren't braver, to concentrate more on their connection.

A mean girl with one wicked overbite

Author: alanrayford from Detroit, Michigan
3 January 2010

"Jennifer's Body" is by no means the best horror movie of 2009. It's not the greatest teen drama either (not even close). And, as a teen sex comedy, it mostly flounders. But here's the thing; as a horror/teen drama/ten sex romp, it's a tight package that's much greater than the sum of its parts.

The story can be summed up in fifty words. Hot girl Jennifer and her hanger-on friend Needy go to see a band. It turns out this band is on the prowl for a virgin to sacrifice to Satan for their good fortune. They choose Jennifer, who isn't a virgin. This leads to her becoming a succubus, and chaos ensues. There, fifty on the nose. By horror standards this may sound rather vanilla, but there's depth to be had here.

Jenny Check (Megan Fox) is shown to be a mega pain before her transformation. Yet, she doesn't come off as being a bitch so much as someone who is bored with life and her station in it. In a town like Devil's Kettle, who could blame her? Needy (Amanda Seyfried) is initially portrayed as a doormat who strives to never rock the boat. But, unlike a regular "Pollyanna" type, she's rather strong willed. And, as the movie progresses, her killer instinct emerges. Yeah, Jennifer turns from a mean girl into a demon that eats people. But Needy goes from being a timid "plus one" to a monster/Satanist slaying BAMF. Tell me who gets the more extreme makeover.

Another thing I liked was the handling of the violence. In these types of films, dead characters just disappear. Here, that was not the case. The news of every murder was absorbed by the town. At first they were mortified. But, as the movie went on, they understandably became numb to the carnage. Yet, even towards the end, these deaths remained a driving force of the narrative. After all, the only reason Chip had pepper spray was because his mom was worried about what was happening. In short, actions had real consequences. Too few horror flicks establish this, yet folks still complain.

Many have seen fit to bash "Jennifer's Body" for anything from Megan Fox's acting, to Diablo Cody's script, to Karyn Kusama's direction (notice how all three are babes). But I think the many critics missed the point. Despite the title, this wasn't Jennifer's tale. It started and ended with Needy Lesnicky, making the story hers. After saving her and Jen from a blaze that burned down a club and killed many, she could only stand by as her friend was then taken off by Low Shoulder to be sacrificed. Later, she could only watch in horror as her friend became this creature that killed people and would never stop. Worse, Needy was the only one in town who knew what the deal was. Seyfried did a good job of portraying that isolation and dread over being faced with darkness and not having anyone to lean on for support.

Now I'm not going to pretend this movie was scary, but it was involving. Every time Jennifer was about to feed, I felt my teeth grinding. I truly didn't want to see these people die. They weren't the typical jerks like those seen in a "Friday the 13th" film. They were just regular dudes taken in by a beautiful woman that had an ulterior motive. This made each victim extremely sympathetic to me, because, at one point or another, I think we've all been there—minus the demon. Being able to relate, on some level, with a character about to die horrifically lends that death an impact which would otherwise be lacking. Each murder being followed by the victim's family grieving at a funeral also helped to make things feel like they were taking place in the real world. Another factor I enjoyed was the slight amount of humor.

"An American Werewolf in London" is credited as being a horror/comedy when it's the horror movie's horror movie. "Jennifer's Body", on the other hand, had just enough humor to offset an otherwise tragic storyline and not a drop more. The goth kid singing "I Can See Clearly Now" because he thinks he's about to hook up was hilarious. J.K. Simmons' character was so serious, so well meaning, and so clueless that, when combined with the fro and hook-hand, he was almost too much. The frenemy-ship between Needy and Jen provided just enough barbs to help keep the narrative moving. Case in point, Needy tells her bleeding to death boyfriend, Chip, that Jennifer's hovering isn't impressive. Jen shoots back by claiming Needy undermines everything she does. Sadly, there are still a few speed-bumps to this production that mar an otherwise smooth ride.

A high school library having an extensive occult section is probably the funniest thing I've seen in ANY movie. Unfortunately, here it was played straight as a plot device to give Needy insight about the situation. Low Shoulder came off as dicks, when they should've been played as extremely nihilistic. Last but not least, the lesbian kiss between Needy and Jen wasn't hot. It was too gratuitous and broke up the flow of the scene it took place in. I've also noticed there appears to be footage used in the trailers that wasn't in the film (the scene where Jen burns her tongue for one).

I liked "Jennifer's Body", and will definitely be buying it. Too bad there'll never be a sequel, due to its box office failure. I want to see what comes of poor ol' Needy Lesnicky. That shot of her after killing the members of Low Shoulder felt like it could go in any number of ominous directions.

Now to the haters, get over it. Just because a movie has two leads, a director, and a writer who are women doesn't make it bad—it just makes it different. For this flick, different works.

Wow, bubble gum horror done right....

Author: sid1996 from Stockholm, Sweden
3 January 2010

This being a movie written by Diablo Cody set the bars quite high, and I was surprised how good it was, especially since I'd seen the low average here at IMDb. First of all, this review contains SPOILERS! This is a horror comedy with a razor sharp script and beautiful music video footage. A lot of the latter part of the movie feels kind of like a Rammstein video - in a good way. But the thing that I like best with this movie is that it doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. It doesn't take itself too serious. I suppose that you could compare it to 'The Faculty', although I'd say this one's a lot better. But the movie that I think is most appropriate to compare it to is the eighties movie 'Heathers'. And I believe that it's a fair comparison and that 'Jennifer's Body' is just as good. So if you like 'Heathers' you should definitely see this. If not, you might as well give it a miss.

We need a whole new word for bad thanks to this!

Author: deeja10 from United Kingdom
8 November 2009

This film isn't just bad - it goes beyond that right to the point of offensive to the eyes. This film has no plot, no growth, no point and no redeeming qualities. It has be marketed very cleverly to hook in all the hormone driven teenage boys into thinking that Megan Fox is going to be this sex mad murderer who sleeps with, and subsequently murders the underdogs at school - what teenage boy struggling with his hormones could resist that!? Well anyone with an IQ greater then their shoe size! This film, if you can stretch the word that far, is pathetic. Megan Fox cements her reputation as being able to only pull off "running", "sexy" and "vacant" in her movies. Anything required beyond this and shes lost - you'd be as well served casting Stephen Hawking in a remake of the running man! Its like a really bad crossing of Juno and The Faculty - now when you have to say that something is a BAD VERSION OF THE FACUTLY, things are doomed from the start.

The awkward sex scene between needy and her boyfriend - for gods sake! Give the audience above the age of 14 credit - how many adults were watching that and were entertained?! If you were, there's a good chance your girlfriend is also your sister! The death scene in the swimming pool - urgh! If it got any more clichéd, i would have died! Choked on my own disgust! This film has nothing that will interest you simply because it has no genre - it isn't a comedy......at all, although i laughed when i thought about the 100 minutes of my life i had wasted. It isn't a horror film unless you can count the acting as terrifying and it sure as hell fire isn't an action film! So what do we call it? I think in light of the fact that the world is in an economic meltdown and money is once again a precious commodity, wasting it on films such as this when it could be better spent elsewhere means this film now comes under the banner "Pointless" - it wont make money and if a sequel is made, we're all doomed because that means Satan has risen! If you consider yourself to have a shred of intelligence about you, don't waste your time or money on this. Maybe if we stop watching crap like this, they'll stop making it! Awful!

Jennifer's Body review

Author: chrissielioness from United Kingdom
14 November 2011

When I watched 'Jennifer's Body' I thought that it was OK, but nothing fantastic; one of the things that annoyed me about the film was the overflow of words like "lesbigay"and "freaktarded". Then I watched the 1988 film, 'Heathers'and I noticed Jennifer's Body was similar with the storyline and characters. I thought this for a while until I saw 'Ginger Snaps' for the first time. The relationship between Needy (Amanda Seyfried) and Jennifer (Megan Fox)resembles the relationship, and how the storyline plays out, between the two Fitzgerald sisters in Ginger Snaps. So I feel that this man-eating cheerleader movie is a bit of a mix of these two films. I will say, however, that the storyline was a good idea. I think it would have been a lot better if the word play wasn't put on so thick from beginning to end. Also there was sometimes a blur between comedy and horror that didn't leave me laughing or jumpy. I think that Both Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried and good actors and they do give something to the film, but its not entirely enough.

Great movie, bad rap -- watch it, laugh, cringe, and watch it again!

Author: benji77 from United States
30 July 2010

I just finished watching Jennifer's Body and frankly it was great. I knew it had done poorly at the box office so I came to IMDb to read some reviews. What is everyone smoking? This movie rocked -- in every way that it should have rocked and no more. It was funny, sexy, corny, sometimes spooky with a little bit of jumpy, and overall totally worth a watch. In fact, I'm going to go buy it on DVD to add to my collection. This is dark comedy with a horror/gore premise. It's Megan Fox's best role yet (I realize that's not hard to hit) but honestly she did a great job. And I love Amanda Seyfried. The casting was perfect and it was exactly what the creators intended. I say rate a movie on how much you enjoy it but also on what it's supposed to be.

Haters: get over your snooty, BSing, smart-ass selves. It isn't supposed to be award winning, it isn't supposed to have any meaning, and it isn't supposed to be in any form or way compared to Juno or anything else. Half of you are probably struggling to see your own screenplay make it and are just steamed that Diablo Cody got an Oscar. Juno was dead good freakin' awesome for a number of reasons, and no one knows who from the creative team is going to get an Oscar. Diablo told the story first and won the raffle on awards night. She deserved it. You all give up the whining and go work on your own stuff.

Real people who want to enjoy a great ride and a very entertaining film -- come on in! Jennifer's Body is better than half of all movies, doesn't pretend that it's as good as the other half, and isn't meant to be compared anyway. It's fun and fast moving, bloody, dark, quirky, kooky, sexy (Megan AND Amanda!), pithy in dialogue, and basically just a good show. It's everything a normal person would expect it to be.

This probably isn't really worth a 10 – on my scale it's probably more like a good 8 (all movies considered it's in the middle but I enjoyed it at a 10 for what it was supposed to be). But hey, someone has got to help pull up the average for a good flick like this. The creators should be proud - go Jennifer's Body!

Plz watch again!

Author: tomidactyl
10 December 2012

Jennifer is Needy. Needy is Jennifer. Her name is probably Jennifer Needy?

Please watch it again guys, maybe not quite a 10... but I promise it's an interesting watch! :)

Review: I thought it was just some trash on the TV while I ate my dinner, but was surprised by how well the story was written. The movie starts with "Needy" in an institution {I wonder why?} and you see some scars {I wonder where they're from?}. Btw, these questions are answered if you watch the movie. The movie goes on to establish just HOW close these 2 girls are, and once you establish that they might be the same person, it's very interesting to watch. It explains a lot of things in the film such as Needy going to the door and no one being there, and suddenly Jennifer is inside. Anyway, the list of fun facts goes on and I really feel like the movie didn't get enough credit. So please give the movie a go, and give the movie some better scores because I certainly think this movie deserves them.

What I Was Expecting

Author: southsidepopper from United States
15 January 2010

Coming into this movie I was already thinking it wasn't going to be a good movie. My opinion was this movie is only popular because it has Megan Fox in little to no clothes, and it turns out I was absolutely right. The storyline of this movie was all over the place, leaving you confused for quite a bit of the movie. And the plot, an indie rock band's sacrifice to the devil for stardom goes wrong, wow, if I would have known that was the plot I would have never even bothered to watch this movie. The acting throughout the movie was never believable for the circumstances, which shows very much so in what was supposed to be the dramatic climax of the movie, the pool scene. In that scene there are so many different things going on, and instead of trying to do some good acting to portray the events, they make some very crude and stupid jokes, one in particular about a tampon. Another thing that really bothered me was the stupid girlie talk throughout the movie. There were a few scary scenes in the movie, but not nearly enough. If you like stupid horror movies that are more funny, in a bad way, then scary, then this movie is for you. But if you feel like seeing a decent movie just skip this one.

Jennifer's Body

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
31 December 2009

Emo rock band, Low Shoulder, seek fame and fortune, and decide to follow instructions from a "Satanic handbook" offering who they believe is a virgin sacrifice to Lucifer not knowing that she has been with a guy in the past. What happens is that the sacrifice, a high school princess named Jennifer(Megan Fox), becomes demon possessed, gaining a carnivorous appetite for human flesh. Jennifer's best friend since childhood, Needy(Amanda Seyfried), knows about her condition, and as the body count rises, must stop her before her own boyfriend, Chip(Johnny Simmons)becomes a target. Needy knows that she must be present at the Devil's Kettle high school's Spring Formal Dance, because such an event provides a feast for Jennifer to choose from.

This format provides Diablo Cody's script an ability to touch on such relevant topics as "selling your soul" for stardom, the conflicts which can split apart a friendship(..and how such a relationship is examined when something drastic changes both parties), and the way media and other outlets exploit Columbine-type(..and other high school)tragedies, while we also see the all-too-realistic harsh aftermaths inflicted on loved ones.

Still, Cody's script, while provocative along with her trademark hipster dialogue(..acknowledging the tech-savvy generation while also carefully establishing characters who still dwell somewhat in the real world we live in), doesn't dwell on the gratuitous elements, and this film could've easily been a hell of a lot sleazier(..the film could've wound up like a Poison Ivy or Wild Things sequel, except with demonic, cannibalistic overtones). The movie never really goes too far over the top in regards to gore(..which it could have, if director Karyn Kusama or writer Diablo Cody so wished)and there's no sex at all.

My favorite scene, and there's something more to it than just feeding those like me who get major aroused by it, has Needy and Jennifer sharing what seems to be a very meaningful, intimate exchange of delicate kisses, interrupted when both reawaken to the events that had currently transpired..the fact that she had just eaten another high school boy.

Megan Fox, as this seems like a star vehicle for her, really doesn't expand on her character, and there seems to be little personality(..other than the cultural stereotype of sexpot who can devour any hormonal male within her frequency), just an empty vessel with smallish, seductive body, at times dressed in little..Seyfried(..who isn't ugly by any stretch of the imagination), on the other hand, carries this movie all the way as a "nerdier" teen who has clung to the friendship with Jennifer, and now must contend with the fact that she is a monster who must be stopped or else the homicides and funerals will continue. If anything, and this is quite a twist of fate, Seyfried might've established herself as a major star with this movie, as Page did with Juno. JK Simmons is hilarious as a one armed teacher always sentimentalizing on the murders of kinds in his school as the class must further dwell on the horrific details of fallen fellow students they once knew. Primarily Jennifer's dialogue features Cody's celebrated "witty" lines regarding female bodily fluids and pop culture references..though, there's plenty of this to go around, throughout the cast.

Jennifer's Body, a very good comedy- horror film....

Author: MovieGuy01 from United Kingdom
4 March 2010

I found the horror film Jennifer's Body to be a very good film. seeing as i do not usually like comedy horror films but i found this one to have a very good story to it. it is about two best friends, called Needy who happens to be reserved. and her best friend cheerleader Jennifer they share little in common with each other. They live in a small town called Devil's Kettle, They decide to go and see the concert of the rock 'n' roll band Low Shoulder but the band leader overhears that Jennifer is a virgin. the place is then set on fire, Jennifer is abducted by the band in their van. she later appears at her friends Needy's home covered in blood, and starts to throw up a dark liquid and starts behaving weird. Over the next days, many male classmates are found murdered with eaten parts of their bodies. Needy discovers that Jennifer was sacrificed by the Low Shoulder members in a black magic ritual. I found this to be a very good film 6/10