IMDb > Fireproof (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fireproof

Fireproof More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 22: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Preachy but still useful in other respects

Author: Shaneymike from United States
18 December 2009

As an agnostic, I found the whole message that Christ died for my sins hackneyed and unconvincing, but it still provided me with some insights that I thought were very helpful. Kirk Cameron plays Caleb Holt, a southern firefighter whose marriage is on the rocks for many reasons. His father, played by Malcom Harris, challenges him to take a 40-day test called "The Love Dare" in order to try and salvage it. While Caleb certainly has his faults, I sympathized with him throughout his dilemma. I thought Cameron did a good job of portraying Caleb as an average guy with the same flaws that the rest of us have, even though I could not understand the reason for his sudden change of heart about Christ. Still, I think he sets a very good example with some of the other actions he takes in order to win back his wife's heart, which is why I give this film an average 7 out of 10 stars.

Good story, good movie with a Christian theme.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
28 November 2009

If you look at the votes in the "user ratings" you will see males of all age groups give this a much lower average vote than females of all age groups. As a result the average vote is a bit low, this is a pretty good movie of a great message.

When you love someone you make the relationship a top priority, not something left over after you spend your best time and money on other things.

Child star Kirk Cameron, who I believe has decided to devote his career now to inspirational movies, stars as Caleb Holt. Caleb is a good man. He risks his life to save people in his job as a firefighter. But he has grown too familiar with routine, and has decided that he has earned the right to save up for an expensive boat, even though other things in the couples' lives probably should be the recipient of those funds.

His wife is Erin Bethea as Catherine Holt. She has a nice, but not highly-paid, job as a PR person with a local hospital. As she is growing weary of her unsatisfying married life, a young doctor starts to show loving interest in her. What she doesn't know, and the audience finds out when we see him slip on his ring, he is already married.

So the movie is about whether this young couple wants to, and can, save their marriage from divorce. Caleb talks to his dad, who tells him of a similar experience, and gives him a hand-written book with a 40-day plan, something different each day, which is designed to bring himself closer to his wife. It doesn't really work until Caleb accepts God in his life, and begins doing things because he knows they are right, and not just following a recipe to win the affections of his wife back.

Except for Cameron, it appears that all the other actors are either first-timers, or have very limited acting experience. It shows. The acting is rather simple and not very subtle. But it works fine, it never really detracts from the message here.

(Thanks, Emily, for bringing this home from West Point.)

It's nice to watch a positive film...

Author: Chris Photo from Canada
10 August 2009

I feel like this is the perfect movie to pre-marital class, or for religion class in catholic school.

I do agree with many that the the movie itself lacks the quality and budget of what we are use to seeing on the big screen today. However once you set aside the preachings it is nice to enjoy a positive movie that actually has an inspired story.

I am not a Christian but I did enjoy the film and in a world filled with divorce it's really nice to see a movie that is pushing a positive message in some semi-realistic conditions.

Even it's it's not god who motivates you to put effort into your relationships the main character really turned himself around pushing away all the selfishness that ruined him. It's a feel good movie and if you can see past the the budget and sermons then you will see good intentions and and a very inspirational script.

Good for a Christian Film and a Good Message

Author: gata86 from United States
21 July 2009

It is a crying shame that Christian films are justly associated with bad acting and tame stories. Lack of budget and properly trained actors are a big part of the problem. And this film is no exception.

That said, if one is able to look past this film's less-than-perfect presentation, the makers of this film hit upon a subject that I think can touch anyone. The issues discussed in the film are real, and I think many people will find the themes genuine moving.

Also (never let it be said I am unfair) this is one of the best Christian films out there. The film strains itself in its desire to stay inoffensive and most of the comedy is painfully overacted, but in general the acting is quite passable. One finds oneself caring about the characters and appreciating the enthusiasm the makers of the film had for the subject.

There is meat to this film. And you can be moved by it, if you approach it with an open mind.

An accurate depiction of problems in most marriages.

Author: Jan Strydom from South Africa
23 April 2012

FIREPROOF is a very accurate depiction of many of the problems most marriages go through, how you view the religious aspect is a matter of your own belief but the concept of the love dare is a way great way to show where a person's faults lie and to make him or her realize that love isn't just a collection of sweet words and expensive gifts but something that has to be shown in various different ways.

The religious aspect is mainly used to give the story that little something extra in order really reach out to various types of people and not only people that are necessarily just Christians but all kinds of people.

I admit the acting isn't perfect but its not horrendously bad that it renders the film unwatchable but the script itself and the overall concept is certainly something that will keep thinking about it for a while, its 2 hours of film well spent.

I didn't like it

Author: Vern Mueller from United States
2 October 2011

I thought that the movie was poorly done. I thought the acting was bad.

and I thought the message of the movie was ridiculous. Apparently you can't have a good happy marriage without being a good Christian. The majority of people in this world would be disappointed to hear that.

I have been married for 35 years and it's been a great marriage. In fact, it's pretty obvious that my marriage has been better than any of the characters in the movie. But according to their message, it's impossible. In fact, they make it clear that the guidelines are not optional. Follow the guidelines or fail.

Wrong.

I watched the entire movie and it's a couple hours that I'll never get back. If you want a movie that is a continuation of church service, go for it. But if you want a good movie that entertains, skip it.

Great Movie

Author: regloff-2 from United States
5 October 2010

This movie was very well done. I was captivated the whole time, while there is some 'predictability' at certain parts, I think I find that in all movies anymore. In spite of that, the writers will throw a bit of a 'wrench' in the plot; so for a while you aren't at all convinced that it's going to turn out like you thought it may.

The acting was really solid and the whole movie was very emotionally engaging. From smiles to laughs to tears, it's definitely an emotional roller coaster - I love that in a Drama.

If you like Dramas - this is well worth viewing. I think I might just purchase it as well.

Excellent Movie - Hopeful results

Author: kimmerlie from United States
8 September 2009

I have been THERE in my marriage and was looking for a tool to tell my husband I have had enough.

My daughter bought "The Love Challenge" and gave it to him. He got through about seven days worth. That was three months ago.

I thought the book was excellent in HOW to be a loving, supportive, faith filled spouse. For one whose childhood did not teach this, the book is an eye opening lesson.

Maybe I can learn what to look for in my next marriage.

The acting was/is not what the movie is about. It is the lesson.

What you value, you put your time and energies into. What is of no value, is given no time.

Two scenes don't a great movie make, but they can make a very good one

Author: waggler from United States
6 August 2009

The two scenes are 1) When Caleb explodes at Catherine, creating a nearly irreparable rift in their marriage, and 2) When he apologizes to her.

Although there are weaknesses elsewhere in the film, these two scenes are pitch-perfect and, in my opinion, the main reasons why this movie works so well as a whole. Together they provide a very strong structure on which the rest of the movie depends: On one hand, the admission of rupture, brokenness, and failure, and on the other hand the plea for forgiveness.

Kirk Cameron is the only "name" actor in this film, and his performance is professional, but I was very impressed with Erin Bethea. Not only does her beauty remind me of a young Kate Jackson, but all her scenes were deeply felt and sensitively played. I hope we'll be seeing a lot more of her work.

The Overall Rating in IMDb is completely Wrong for this

Author: coool-aman from India
27 July 2009

I have never written a comment. But for this i am writing because when i saw this feel felt so good and the rating here was just 5.5 which is awfully bad for this one.

It has all the aspects of a good film and will surely spell bound you once you start watching it up.....

In this case please judge it after u see it and not by the rating being shown by IMDb. So i give it 9/10..

Don't Miss it maybe it can save your marriage :-).......

After You Have Seen The movie don't forget to comeback and rate it in IMDb so that in future this movie is not missed by people who just see movies by Rating..