IMDb > Fireproof (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Very thought provoking

Author: punitivedamages from United States
22 September 2008

Hollywood is great at letting us participate in the victories of those who conquer long odds, whether it's sports movies in which the underdog wins the championship or even movies about unlikely romantic pairings (geek meets beauty) that end happily in, say, a wedding. But we see few movies about the joy we feel in conquering the mundane - like in making a marriage work after both sides have lost the motivation to do so.

This is a movie that shows us how hard it is to revive a near-dead marriage, and why it matters so much. Yes, there is a religious context to the movie. A partner in a healthy marriage, we are shown, struggles to emulate the selfless love and service of Jesus by loving and serving his or her spouse, as Jesus would. But the religious aspects of the movie ought not keep away those who are religion-averse. Selfless love and service as the keys to a joyful marriage are not exclusive to any religion.

A great movie for married couples - very thought provoking.

Highly recommended for married couples!

Author: kentmeister from United States
27 September 2008

Here's how this film "imitates life": if you LOOK for flaws, you'll find some, but if you look for blessings, ways to challenge yourself and opportunities to grow, you just may find those, too.

The action sequences are exceptionally well done. A few good laughs are sprinkled in for good measure. Come Oscar time, you won't hear a word about "Fireproof", but come anniversary time, you'll be glad you and your spouse saw it.

This film will not resonate with everyone, especially if you approach it from the mindset that there are no simple truths. But anyone with a less-than-perfect marriage could benefit from seeing it--and that includes all of us, doesn't it!?

Life imitates life with a twist

Author: cosnjs-1 from United States
27 September 2008

Making a movie that tackles real life marriage problems head on is challenging, and not always easy to watch. Horror, violence, spoofs, fantasy, love stories, biographies offer easy escapes. Fireproof exposes the isolation that can occur between 2 people who started out loving each other, but over time disconnect, become self-absorbed and fall into a pattern of hurting each other. The relational pain finds some comic relief, and there is a job-related diversion. But help comes in the form of a 40 day dare to love. While you may not agree with the faith-based approach, there is no doubt that unconditional love is transforming. I was deeply moved... enough to take the dare myself.

A fireman who firmly believes that you never leave your partner behind has his beliefs challenged when his marriage begins to fall apart.

Author: greg-prosch from United States
6 June 2008

When I received an invitation to attend a screening of this film I though to myself, "Oh great… Another one of those low budget Christian films that's poorly scripted and has sub-par acting." After watching the film I am pleased to say that I couldn't have been more wrong.

I was impressed by how well they portrayed everyday struggles and temptations instead of going out on a limb with plot elements that weren't relevant to the everyday person. It was easy to relate to the characters, to feel their hope and disappointment. At the same time, they added larger-than-life aspects that created suspense and made for a very entertaining movie experience.

Most notably, I thought the movie showed the value of marriage and communicated hope that each of us could enjoy a more fulfilling marriage relationship if we were willing to make personal choices to achieve it.

A Great Movie!!

Author: Lazerwolf from United States
28 September 2008

I found Fireproof to be entertaining as well in convicting. Most of the acting was realistic and sincere, even if it was not professional. Within a very short time the story had me so involved in the characters lives that any minor flaws were not noticed. As in their previous movies, the Kendricks brothers had me crying, laughing, cheering, and, during the action sequences, on the edge of my seat.

Being a Christian, I was not turned off by the message(s) of faith in Christ that are an inherent part of Sherwood Pictures productions, and I didn't feel like that aspect of the movie was being shoved down my throat. It is presented, laid out before the audience, and is there for you to take it or leave it. If you find occasional conversations about God, Jesus, or spiritual matters offensive, then be warned, you may be offended on occasion. I'm sure there are plenty of movies at your theater that push loose morals, profanity, and obscenity that you can choose if this is not your cup of tea. But if a message of being good, kind, and loving doesn't frighten you, I highly recommend this movie.

At times I saw myself on the screen, as most of us can relate to some level of tension in marriage (or any relationship). The principles behind the message can work in most situations – whether or not you are a Christian. And I believe people of any marital status can learn valuable lessons from this movie and be entertained at the same time.

An interesting side note - I heard in a couple different interviews that Kirk Cameron auditioned for this part like all of the other volunteer actors, AND was a willing volunteer himself - pretty much quieting the skeptics who claim he (and others) were making this movie to line their pockets.

Christians and Non-Christians alike should take a hint from this movie

Author: purplejoy716 from United States
26 September 2008

I just got back from seeing this movie opening night. Of the 300 seats, 100 of them were presold and we were told to get there early. I was excited to hear that so many people were supporting this movie on its opening weekend. It's message will hit close to home with so many people. With the high divorce rate these days, I agree that all people should view this movie. I'm not married myself, but it touched me so much because I saw in it the relationship my parent's have had for years. And while it focuses on the husband changing his ways in order to win back his wife, it also touches on wives changing their ways to win back their husbands. There may be many stereotypes shown in this movie, but that comes with movies trying to touch the world. Without stereotypes, we might not understand it so well.

Overall ratings: Plot - 10, Cinematography - 9, Acting - 6 (due to using only one professional actor, kudos to the church members for holding their own)

Ignore the nattering nabobs of negativity

Author: abchulett from United States
28 September 2008

I am a born-again Christian. I am also somewhat of a film snob who counts movies among his favorites that are decidedly R rated (I have no problem with sin being presented in movies as long as it's not presented as something good), and some of my favorites are over 100 years old. Just to let you know where this review is coming from.

With "Fireproof" the Kendrick brothers have matured. Their first film, "Flywheel," was a wonderful story with almost no budget, and amateurishly done. Then came "Facing the Giants," which was pretty good but ultimately forgettable. "Fireproof" finally puts together solid production values, mostly topnotch acting, and a very nicely written script that includes some clever plot twists.

Yes, it is explicitly Christian in its message. Yes, it upholds the sanctity of marriage and celebrates a man fighting for all he's worth to win the love of a wife who's filing for divorce. Yes, there are two or three moments where the sentimentality goes just a bit over the top.

If any of these statements about "Fireproof" close your mind to it, that's your loss, but God bless you as you pass on this one to go see something lighter or edgier. But I promise you, I was very pleasantly surprised at just how good this film is.

Highly recommended for anyone old enough to appreciate the opposite sex.

Fireproof - A Poor Excuse For A Film

Author: HorrorWriter7493 from Colorado
11 February 2011

Before I review this film, I think you should know how I'm approaching this. I'm an Evangelical Quaker (basically, a Christian who believes that you can reach anyone by being understanding, compassionate, and loving without thumping their head with a Bible) and my father, at one time, was a pastor of a church plant. My faith, even though I abandoned it for about six months and became an Objectivist (an atheist who believes in individualism), has gotten me far in life. I suffer from Bipolar disorder, and if you know anything about that would know that having this illness is a truly horrible thing. God is the only thing in my life that has been constantly helping me out in times of crisis. I have seen and been in relationships torn apart by addictions. I also want to be a film director someday. On top of that, I write short stories and novels in my free time. I've studied the craft of good storytelling and I can recognize it when I see it.

Now... on to the review... To put it as blunt as possible: Fireproof is for Christians who are really well off in their faith and have not encountered anything truly wounding to them. It's not their fault, I know, but the fact that film makers are making money off of them for money really ticks me off. Christians are a really easy market to milk. Every artist knows that. Why? Well, make a mediocre movie that's politically correct, doesn't offend anyone, and put Jesus' name in it and you'll soon find out. People, especially Christians, are so easily mislead to believe that just because the people who made the movie share their beliefs that it must be good even though the film's clearly bad. I love the premise of it. The idea of sticking by your partner and helping him or her out because you know that it can work out in the end is really rare nowadays. But they deliver it so poorly that it's laughable. And if you think that I'm being somehow "anti-Christian" and that this movie is flawless, let me point out all the things in this movie that are flawed: 1) The conversations between the firefighters is so unrealistic. No curse words at a fire department filled with men? I mean... really? 2) If a guy found out that his wife was flirting with someone at the office with an intent on cheating, his first response should be to take a shotgun, go down where he works and stick it under his chin and say something like: "I'm going to blow your brains all over the wall if you touch her again." You do not show him your wedding ring and say, "Stay away from her or... or... I'll say something even more mean!" Whoo! You tell him, Mr. Firefighter! You tell that mean doctor! 3) You do not get over addictions instantly after being converted. It's a long and hard process. That is a myth that this movie is producing that I have a huge problem with. 4) People do NOT treat you with respect for getting religion of any kind. They will manipulate, mock, and even threaten you for your faith.

Every time Christians tell me this is one of the greatest movies ever made, I die a little inside. But when a truly Christian movie comes along (like Walk the Line or The Road), they ignore it because people say it isn't "Christian" enough. Nonbelievers clearly see the contradictions in that. These are the types of Christian movies that people should look up to instead of this trash:

Tender Mercies (1983) Deals with the theme that some people need to be polished with love in order to change.

The Road (2009) Deals with the theme of persevering in the harshest circumstances presented to you. This was marketed towards Christians to show how the world will be like when the church is next to non-existent. The father-son relationship is a metaphor for passing the torch on to the next generation.

I Am Legend (2007) Deals with the theme of losing everything in your life and then regaining it again and realizing God's love.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) Asks the question of how people ignore God when they have seen the Devil.

Walk the Line (2005) Again, deals with the theme that some people need to be polished with love in order to change. Christians complained this wasn't "Christian" enough even though it clearly shows Johnny Cash's faith after he's gotten clean through his actions.

Signs (2002) Deals with the theme of losing everything and losing faith. In this case, a preacher losing his wife. If you hate M. Night Shyamalan a lot, ignore the fact that he made this movie. You'll thank me for it.

I could go on and on. The point? These movies were well done, had great quality, and produced a very strong Christian message. Churches ignored them because they weren't up to their impossible standard of being politically correct and non-offensive and still having good quality. It just can't happen. Why are Christians so afraid to show the brutality of life without God? It doesn't make sense to me... and it never will.

I could go on and on about this, but I think truly open-minded people, no matter what their faith, will get what I'm saying.

God bless, -HorrorWriter7493

It taught me something about my own marriage

Author: DR-9 from Radnor, PA
26 September 2008

This movie is in the same honest, non-glitzy, straightforward style of its predecessor from the same team, "Facing the Giants," a film I loved. It tells the story of a marriage headed for dissolution, which is turned around when the husband makes a commitment to God and his wife. Kirk Cameron is a revelation (and if you saw him as a cocky sitcom star in "Growing Pains" in the late 80s/early 90s you will be amazed) as the fireman husband who gets respect everywhere but at home, and has never asked himself if he deserves it. At the urging of his father, he agrees to take forty days before seeking divorce, and work through a book called "The Love Dare." This book offers a new suggestion for deepening the love relationship to be followed every day, together with short, related Bible verses. At first Cameron's character just goes through the motions, but as time goes by, helped by his parents and a fellow fireman, his love is transformed and renewed. Is it to late to reach his alienated wife?

Uplifting but real, the movie will inspire many married people to commit more deeply to their marriages. Truly worthwhile.

Im a Christian and I hated this movie!!

Author: Scott4589 from United States
8 February 2009

there are 3 Main things that i hate about this movie, and if you look at how the genders voted on this movie you will see why women love this movie and most men didn't like it.

1. I get tired of everyone trying to fix him, doesn't anyone listen to his problems. It really hacks me off that Christians try to fix everyone instead of listening. and this movie has lots of fixing. even people who don't have a relationship with the main characters try to fix. IE the nurse talking to the wife towards the end of the movie. OMG! earn the right to speak into someones life.

2. She didn't do anything to help their marriage. the movie portrayed everything as being his fault. anyone who's been in a tough marriage knows that both sides do their part to make things worse. she isn't free from being just as guilty as he is. The church, and this movie has told men a lie for far too long..... That they have to earn respect, and freely give love. I disagree, i think that men should freely give Love to their wives, but wives should freely give respect to their husbands. that is the #1 need in each gender, why do men have to work so hard to gain respect, but also work so hard to show love. this movie put all the responsibility on the husband, and none on the wife.

3. this is by far the thing i hated most about it. She was flirting with another man.... allot!!! and she never apologizes for it. What kind of message are we sending wives?? that is OK to flirt around if the husband isn't loving enough? the husband apologizes for all his crap, and not once does she ever say that she is sorry.

once again its all up to the man to fix everything. i wish they could make a realistic movie. the divorce movie with Bruce Willis was better than this. "the story of us"

Page 1 of 22:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]