IMDb > "WordGirl" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Word-Girl is the new Spongebob

Author: Billy Joel from United States
12 August 2008

**THIS SUMMARY CONTAINS SPOILERS**

When I came across this show, I was completely WOWED. It is wonderful material, nothing that was made up in a few minutes to keep the kids busy.

Becky Botsford (or is it Boxford?) is the smart, somewhat cute Word Girl. Her sidekick, Captian HuggyFace helps her fight crime and throw around some impressive vocabulary.

The thing I love about cartoons is that they DON'T HAVE TO MAKE SENSE, and WordGirl does just that.

A man with a mouse brain.

A girl mixed with a copier.

An old lady that steals.

All these things would certainly keep me busy for 30 minutes.

The script is smart and well-written, with jokes aimed at the adults and the kids (like Spongebob). I found myself laughing the first time and now every weekday at 5:00 I find myself on the couch watching this great show.

My favorite character would have to be the handsome Dr. Two-Brains, I think that his episodes are the funniest. He is the man who has two brains, that of a mouse and a human. Who could think of that?

I absolutely love WordGirl, and if you are looking for a show that will make your kids laugh and teach them great words to use, then turn to WordGirl.

I hope they make a movie!!!

Primetime comedy should be this good.

Author: murray_mg from Dallas, TX
9 November 2011

I love any children's show that has a good point but doesn't get preachy. WordGirl is really funny on so many levels, not only teaching vocabulary but also satire, hyperbole, and irony. The silliness is on par with the best old school VeggieTales. The supervillains are hysterical, with equally great villain names, like "Chuck the Evil Sandwich Making Guy" and "Lady Redundant Woman". My son has learned several good vocabulary lessons above his grade level just by watching this treat, and I love watching it with him just because it's so funny. If the "grown-ups" that run Hollywood paid attention to PBS Kids, a lot of primetime comedy shows would be much more intelligent and entertaining