IMDb > Drag Me to Hell (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drag Me to Hell

Drag Me to Hell More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 69: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A bit disappointed. Not the classic I was given to believe

Author: David O'Brien from Ireland
3 June 2009

I just came out of the cinema after seeing "Drag Me To Hell". I feel a bit cheated. I was given to believe that this was a return to horror form for Raimi. Well I am afraid that my opinion of it is that it is by no means a classic. Unfortunately Mr Raimi has been watching too much Buffy and Charmed. When Raimi made the original "Evil Dead", there was no comedy in it. This all changed with "Evil Dead 2" and "Army Of Darkness". Although a lot of people liked the sequels, I thought that the comedy ruined them. With "Drag Me To Hell", Raimi has combined the comedy of the Evil Dead 2 and 3 with the glamorous teens of Buffy and Charmed. What you end up with is something that is not quite right for true horror aficionados. I'm sorry but Mr Raimi needs to get a lot nastier for me to consider him back to his best. Mrs Ganush the gypsy is scary to look at but her image is used far too much in the film. The film could have used more demons/monsters. Whilst this film will be a hit, I don't consider Raimi to have created his new horror masterpiece yet.

"I felt like I was literally Dragged to Hell"

Author: CammyT from Canada
31 May 2009

I am a sincere fan of the Evil Dead series and am not one to "shame" any movie because I feel that every film has something to give the audience or fellow film makers in some way. This film unfortunately was not one that I would compare to Sam Raimi's "greats". His previous movies that made it big with huge cult followings were made a certain way with a certain feel that were certainly fitting for that time in cinematic history. I feel that these types of films can not and should not be revisited.

With that said, "Drag Me To Hell" was not only predictable but it was also filled with too many clichés and an extremely predictable ending. If you didn't see that one coming you can't call yourself a film buff! The story itself was very unoriginal. SPOILER IN NEXT PARAGRAPH (Even though i'm sure you would have guessed it) The movie itself and the reviews promised me an original plot but I'm sure if your a horror fan you have seen the gypsy curse before in a movie known as "Thinner"(a convincingly scary horror). Gypsy asks for help, gypsy doesn't get help, gypsy curses you, gypsy gives you the gift of death while you try to please gypsy by counter cursing. Its always the same after all, you can't stop impending doom, you can only try to act like you even care. The only believable emotion was the single tear shot by Justin Long at the very end of the film. That's pretty much the way I looked after seeing it too. Speaking of Justin Long, his office desk was filled with Mac paraphernalia. I understand he is the Mac guy that always undermines the P.C. guy, but please can we show him not by a fancy Mac for two seconds(P.s. Love the commercials!)! To end my little rant, I think the fact that I noticed more things in the background (like what the extras were doing and saying) shows you how uninteresting I found this movie. Next time I think a better protagonist with a little more expression might be better for a role like this. I think a better "surprise" ending for this movie would have been to bring "Ash" back through the fiery pits of the undead ;)!! I'm sorry if you don't like what I am saying, but it is MY opinion and if you believe me, I may have just saved you some money. If you think I am full of it go see the movie and make your own conclusions! Thank YOU for letting me waste your time with a little opinion!

The only thing shocking about this movie is IMDb's rating!...

Author: jcdugger from United States
10 June 2009

On the way to the theater, I tell my buddy "This has an 8.0 on IMDb, it MUST be good!" Ummm...No. I've seen better movies on a 3-D View-Master!

OK, so the movie begins with the main character, aptly played by the wet-dream-inducing Alison Lohman, getting a cursed placed on her by an old lady who's about to get evicted from her home unless the bank helps her out. Every cliché in the book is thrown at you to get you on the side of Alison, a bank employee who decided to help throw the old lady on the street for the benefit of the bank. (The film-makers resort in their attempt to show remorse towards Alison...to showing the old lady having terrible hygiene, her contempt towards Alison, disgusting habits, and emptying the bank candies into her purse). The old lady, by the way, apparently has "powers" the rest of us don't, like the ability to place a deadly curse on others, having super-human strength and tremendous dexterity while fighting, and having the knowledge that Alison could potentially have helped her personally (although she wasn't near the conversation Alison had with the bank manager).

The curse described by the old lady then begins happening to Alison. She goes to a palm-reader (a guy who has a knack for not mentioning extremely important things until it's nearly too late) and he tells her that she is cursed.

I cannot overstate the stupidity of this palm-reading character (played by Dileep Rao). If there ever was a "Professor for the Occult" at your local University, this character would be it! He informs Alison that she would be tormented by a demon for 3 days...then the demon would come for her and drag her to hell. Alison asks Dileep if there is anything that can be done. He says "Well, you can attempt an animal sacrifice that might appease the demon". (I thought the word "might" wasn't very reassuring for a person in the midst of a fight from hell!) Anyway, Alison doesn't pick up a stray cat or one destined for the back room of her local animal shelter...no, she uses her own precious kitty for the slaughter! After murdering her kitten, she thinks everything is now fine, as a day or so goes by without incident. As the 3-day-clock is ticking down, she gets terrorized by the demon again, goes back to Dileep and proceeds to verbally beat him like a rented mule. Dileep then (AND FINALLY I MIGHT ADD) says "Well...I know this special lady who does exorcists and can drive the demon out...but it's costly, $10,000, and you need the money tonight." ** Note, I yelled out in the theater: "Could you mail that suggestion back to 2 days ago when I originally asked about what can be done?!" -- the crowd began laughing hysterically! ** Anyway, her boyfriend (played by Justin Long's mangina) gets wind that she needs the 10K and gives it to Dileep on her behalf.

I'd like to quickly add this eye-rolling sequence. Alison decides to show up at the old lady daughter's creepy mansion of a house to ask for forgiveness and to tell the old hag that she would help her get the house back. The daughter answers the door and tells her to leave...then oddly lets her in after a rude verbal tongue-thrashing. Alison walks into the house...it's very quiet...she is led through some rooms, down some stairs...then asks "Where is she?"...and her host says "Right around the corner"....she turns the corner, and get this, A PARTY IS ENSUING! People drinking, eating, talking...a scene inconsistent with a house that looked as if it hadn't had a visitor in years...and with not many cars parked out in front as Alison walked up...and knowing you hadn't heard a sound the entire time Alison was walking through the house! The scene ends with you finding out that this is actually a gathering for the old lady's funeral. How do you find this out? Alison, not paying attention to where she's walking in an odd house full of strangers, trips over the old lady's casket, making her fall out of the casket and on top of Alison, where the old lady pukes embalming gel all over her face. Wow. You can't make this stuff up.

Back to story. Dileep then takes Alison to his psychic friends house. This lady was the most cliché of all the chock-full-of-cliché people in the movie. She was fully equipped with mood-rings, the ugliest new-age jewelry possible, candles galore and items from the occult (one item on her séance table, I noticed, was a dated and dusty jar that was completely empty...oohhhh, scary!). I won't spoil things here, other to say that the exorcism doesn't go well and there's a talking goat. (Yes). After things go badly, and Alison feels she is destined for Hell, Dileep offers up one more piece of advice that would have been best said 2 days ago. (This guy is the king of yesterday's news!) Dileep, amazingly enough, tells her that she can simply give the curse away as a gift...but the recipient would go through the same hell she is and would be dragged to hell themselves in 3 days! Much to my surprise...NOT!...She can't possibly think of ANYONE who she can gift this curse to! She sees an old creaky man...yes!...Oh, his wife shows up, nevermind. She calls her rival at work...she could kill 2 birds with 1 stone by gifting him the curse...Nah, he's too sad now, nevermind! So she decides to, again, get this, go to the graveyard and dig up the body of the old lady so she can shove the gift down her throat! Wow. I told my buddy "She should give it to George W Bush!" But, seriously, she couldn't have visited a prison and gave it to a rapist or murderer? That would have required logic I guess...something this movie lacks badly.

JD

A fun but not particularly scary horror film

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
5 November 2015

Protagonist Christine Brown is hoping for an important promotion at work but is told that it will probably go to another, more recent, employee as he is more willing to take the tough decisions. Shortly afterwards and elderly woman comes in asking for her loan to be extended when the bank foreclosed on her mortgage. She takes the woman's case to her boss but he leaves it up to her to decide what to do… she decides to take the tough decision and refuses the old woman's request. The woman starts begging and Christine calls for security. She is shaken but assumes it is over; it isn't… the woman later attacks her and tells her that she is cursed. Christine decides to see a spiritualist and he tells her that she has indeed been cursed; she will be tormented for three days then she will literally be dragged to Hell!! Over the next three days she is indeed tormented and, along with the spiritualist, she tries to find a way to get out of the curse.

The DVD box announced that this is "The scariest movie of the decade"… it isn't. In fact it isn't particularly scary at all. There are the expected jump-scares and some creepy moments but nothing really scary. That isn't to say it isn't worth watching… the unpleasant things that happen are at least quite funny in a mildly disgusting way. We have a fly continuing to buzz after she swallows it, a high pressure nose bleed and a possessed goat to give just three examples. Director Sam Raimi does a good job and I liked the fact that the majority of the effects appeared to be physical rather than CGI. Alison Lohman does a solid enough job in the lead role; making us believe that her character believes in the strange things that are happening to her. The only real weak point of the film is the ending; it is just a little too cliché. Over all I'd say this is a decent film for people want a horror film that isn't particularly disturbing but is quite fun.

Horror has gained a new meaning today... unfortunately

Author: jota-b from Portugal
5 April 2010

The movie is worth watching for the first half an hour. After that, comedy stick it's nose in.

Honestly, the first few scenes scared the hell out of me, mostly the scene where Mrs. Ganush threatens Christine in her workstation. After that, the napkin in the windshield scene also did an awesome job in my adrenaline flux. Last but not the least, the goat shadow scene. From there on, a supposed horror movie turned in one of the most disappointing movies ever. Why? Because the disgusting acting by Alison Lohman, the lack of horror notion and the way the occult and spiritism are characterized, got in the way. Not a movie i'll see again, that's for sure.

For the ones who are looking to waste one and a half hour, PLEASE do something else other than watching this movie. It doesn't worth your wasting time, believe me.

Anyways, i gave it a four only because the first few scenes.

Drag Raimi to hell...

Author: steevehillage from Canada
28 January 2010

I have thankfully read other reviews here that prove to me that some people here (no doubt people not working for Ghost-house Pictures) still have taste in movies!...Be it horror, comedy or spoof films.

This turd of a film actually kept me up at night...to write this review! I registered on this site just to tell people to read the other reviews here that have 3 or less stars because they know what they're talking about!...Incompetent, machete-wielding sidekicks! Talking goats! 1-pound kitties who spur gallons of blood! The religious chick from "This is Henry Poole" posing as a medium who is chit out of luck against goat-demons! The idiot Indian medium who gives precious info by the drop in a life-or-death haunting! (the fact that he FIRST tells her of killing animals made me instantly guess she should give the stupid button to someone else and thus, he was purposefully holding out on her because the script had more "surprises" on the way) the 85-pound tombstone falling on her head (effectively knocking her out for 19 SECONDS!!)

Predictable, plot hole-ridden, student-film, lesbian-fantasizing, waste of good camera memory cards...Go rent Gremlins 2 instead...Have a laugh on us!

You literally get dragged to hell with this.

Author: bearfaceproductions from Puerto Rico
14 February 2010

I'm sorry but... SERIOUSLY!!! How much were the critics and the people paid to give it a good review? This has got to be the worst horror film ever. With so many bad horror films lately, I thought this would make a difference but no, it's actually worse than any of the others.

Let's see. Bad acting by practically everyone. Bad directing and poor written script. Also I thought that since it had the "horror" tag in the movie it would scare me, yet it failed to scare me. It's OK to have a jump scare a few times but by the 20th time its just annoying. Also I found it to be boring since (for no reason) the movie tried to make people laugh, but it just made me puke and I felt disturbed.

Oh, and what people seemed to like more was the ending. That's where I ask... WHY?!?!?!?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!?!?!?!?!?

The film is about a woman who gets a curse that will take her to hell in three days, and she looks for many ways to get rid of it, and if she didn't get rid of it at the end... then why did I watch the movie for?

It was a waste of time: -Boring -Disturbing -Unscary -Awful -Poor

I'm sorry but, the words to describe how horrible this movie was, are too much.

I really wish I could give a rating less than 1.

One of the most disappointing horror movies ever created - actually thought it was a joke

Author: Movie Guy
25 April 2010

Where do I begin, let's start with the cast: Justin Long, now I usually like him I though he was great in die hard but taking him seriously as a doctor in my opinion was a bad choice. Now he has some funny lines but him playing a doctor is like Al Pacino playing the terminator, it wouldn't work (though would be amusing).

OK now Alison Lohman is such a bad actress it hurts, it makes me feel sorry for her - really, why did you pick her for this movie? SPOILER HERE: Now, I genuinely thought this movie was a joke; I actually thought the people who put the great "scary as hell" type reviews on it were all in on a big joke because it was halariouse. It absolutely could pass as a comedy and I really am serious, think about it, the funny fights, 1980's graphics, the gunge coming out the womans mouth and halarous funeral scene, the cat that was clearly a teddy being tossed in a ditch, the rubbish acting - need I go any further?

Overrated movie that has some very serious issues

Author: ludwigtr from Sweden
15 January 2010

First I simply must express my curiosity: why have so many people found this to be an entertaining, good movie? After all, there is nothing particularly original or special about Drag Me to Hell to begin with.

The movie plot itself is very unoriginal but it works: main character makes a B-A-D choice which causes the antagonist to suffer greatly. The main character is cursed by the antagonist and spends the rest of the movie unraveling what has happened, what the curse is and how to get rid of it. It is in fact very reminiscent of two other movies: Stephen King's THINNER and The Ring. Particularly the former because Drag Me to Hell also implements the idea that gypsies are in possession of dark, super-natural powers.

Well, I can live with then the mediocre special effects, the pitiful attempts of "shocking" us by rattling furniture and kitchen gear, the redundant characters, the overall poor acting, the stereotypical office-competition story, the lame one-liners, the grotesque witch who does equally grotesque things --- but I can't live with the malicious portrayal of an already shunned ethnic group.

Whereas THINNER at least serves us a slightly more complex story about moral dilemmas, and in which the cursed Billy Halleck hardly counts as a decent human being, the main character in Drag Me to Hell is a fairly "white" young woman whose poor self-esteem causes her to do ONE (questionably) bad choice. And for that she gets a curse thrown upon her by the nasty, disgusting, thieving gypsy witch. A curse way worse than anything thinning Billy Halleck ever had to deal with.

Naturally this is to be expected from gypsies in this movie. After all, those folks won't hesitate to curse a foolish little child thief, causing him to be tortured by demons for three days and then be dragged to hell - in front of his horrified parents. And since the gypsies can command demons from hell to seize the soul of whoever they please, it is easy to deduce what kind of people THEY are --- right?

Anyway, good job movie makers, for making such a poor piece of dung, using all clichés in the book and strengthening nasty prejudices against a big ethnic minority – all in one fell swoop.

Topnotch!

In no way a good movie

Author: raikou74 from Australia
2 January 2010

After seeing trailers for this movie you get nice and excited about such a good looking movie, the trailer however have lied. The effects in this movie were awful in some places, and decent in others. There's one scene where the protagonist gets some vomit-like blood-like substance spewed onto her, easily the worst effects since 200 that I've seen. Another scene in a cemetery had me thinking about the model cemetery in beetlejuice, (You know the one that was MEANT to look like cardboard?), except I don't think they meant it in this movie, I then was trying very hard not to swap movies over! Some people on here have been defending this movie's awfulness by saying 'They meant to make it bad! That's what the director does!'... Making bad movies, whether or not it's 'what he does' is not entertaining. The storyline to this movie had cliché's from all over the place. The storyline was predictable and not very compelling, at no point was I frightened, and the parts that I'm guessing were meant to be funny, just confused me as to why they would joke in that situation, B-grade acting also. 2/10 Not good