IMDb > Drag Me to Hell (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 70:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Impossibly awful

Author: thoward1223 from Virginia, USA
31 May 2009

I just felt compelled to post this because somehow... and I can't even begin to understand how... people and even professional critics like this movie. I don't get it. I loved Evil Dead and I still don't get it, because this wasn't campy -- it was just bad. Seemed thrown together very quickly, with a few scenes stripped whole from Evil Dead 2 and some of the worst writing ever... It just didn't feel like camp. It felt like dreck. And the ending was telegraphed so early in the film that the last 30 minutes were almost physically painful to watch. And yet... the Washington Post said the ending was a shocker.

If this wasn't a Sam Raimi film, no one would even have suggested it was supposed to be funny. They would have just figured that it sucked. Maybe that's his joke on everyone, after all.

loud, predictable, not scary

Author: ajaj118 from United States
30 May 2009

Seeing the trailer to this movie I expected to go in and have a few scenes that were ones that made you jump. But I also expected the movie to have something scary in it that made you think when you left the theater.

If you are looking for cheap thrills, LOUD music, and stuff jumping out at you constantly then this is your movie. I found this movie to be extremely predictable, especially the ending.

The séance scene was laughable. The guy hanging in the air "dancing the jig" was one of the dumbest I have seen in a LONG time. And the "cartoonish" talking goat was a joke. The SFX in this movie were worse than a Saturday night sci-fi channel B-movie. It was a serious WASTE of money. We had a free ticket, and I feel even that was wasted on this movie.

giving this movie a 3 out of 10 is even being generous.

Sam Raimi has made his 'Jaws'.

Author: hey_treacle
28 May 2009

Drag me to Hell is, really, a throwback in so many ways to the fun of The Evil Dead 2. The camera angles, the excellent score - it all recalls how Raimi played with us in his earlier trilogy. What has changed however, is the sense of pace. We know its coming and Raimi employs all his skills to draw out the tension. The thrills are all there in place, I jumped like there was an electric buzzer under my seat. Perhaps a little too much CGI is indulged in but its easy to forgive in a film as wicked and blackly comic as this. I genuinely found the film disturbing for a 15 as well, again I think this is a mark of tension that Raimi creates with the score and camera work throughout the film. So incredibly refreshing to see a horror film with out the hallmarks of the recent saw franchise. Special mention for the ending, which has conviction and guts and was the proverbial cherry on top of the cake. throughly entertaining.

Intense and Funny - Classic Sam Raimi

Author: indyj1 from United States
30 May 2009

The early trailers for Drag Me to Hell dubbed it as (sic) "the return to classic horror", and for once at least, they are correct.

Sam Raimi manages to incorporate genuine thrills and terror using the old-fashioned format of surprise, misdirection and suggestion. As a frequent viewer of horror films, little surprises me, but in this film I was caught off-guard several times while watching it.

While the majority of the movie is kept on a serious and foreboding level, much like the original "Evil Dead", Raimi can't help but throw in elements of the absurd and slapstick during some of the more horrific scenes, thus reducing the tension and echoing the latter 2/3 of the "Evil Dead" trilogy.

WHile I have nothing against the modern trend of horror movies to provide shocks merely in the form of how much blood and gore they spill, this flick was wonderfully refreshing. It's a must-see, not just for Raimi fans, but for anyone who loves a good scary story and a great movie in general.

A much needed revival for the horror genre.

Author: Stay_away_from_the_Metropol from Minnesota, USA
29 May 2009

Drag Me To Hell is exactly what it should have been. It effortlessly takes a dump on 90% of the rest of the horror movies this decade has offered us.

In 2009, we are flooded with brainless remakes and Saw rip-offs, which was never a great series in the first place. Only Sam Raimi (the king of horror in my opinion) has the power to bring a completely original horror movie back to the big screen in this day and age and capitalize with it.

It was one of the most intense movie-going experiences I've had in some time and I see it as a wild ride that no one should miss out on. It is guaranteed that you will be either jumping or cringing in your seat half the time, unless you are one of those people lacking heavily in the department of sensitivity and/or general thought processing.

The movie is entertainment and horror fun in it's purest form.

A lot of people complain about CGI, and in a lot of cases I agree, but in Drag Me To Hell, they were never trying to hard with it - it was always in good fun and in a movie paced like this, with it's Sarcasti-Horror, it is certainly fitting.

It is, without question, a new horror classic - thanks to it's basic yet innovative plot, likable blondie, loads of bodily fluids, and an ending you will not forget.

Let's hope Hollywood takes some hints and allows studios to start making original horror movies again.

Thank you Sam Raimi. Loved it.

Ha... whatever.

Author: yourwarmembrace from United States
31 May 2009

Apparently this studio has deep enough pockets to pay people to come here and rate this film highly. This is a 6 star movie AT BEST! It has its share of spooks but they are short-lived. And the cliché's? Where do I begin?? They had me and everyone else around me checking the time... and I was in the last/ top row... could see everything. Sighs were coming from my right and the people to my left were getting restless. I wanted to ask someone else the time; hoping that my phone had jammed and this "picture" was farther along than it seemed. Go into it expecting a Comedy with shocks & frights but you won't be losing any sleep. The ending was a surprise albeit lame... I mean... you'd think someone would check before going through the trouble of digging up a grave...

This is no master piece. So bad....

Author: horsecoach4hire from Canada
2 June 2009

I'm still trying to find out why everyone thinks this film is wonderful.

First off, we have no storyline. We don't know if this film is funny or scary, the acting is at best 10th grade (and I'm a huge fan of Alison Lohman) I think everyone is forgetting about the fact that there needs to be a strong storyline (it doesn't have this. It has an idea, a concept, but never is fully developed, unless you think the old fashion, standard cop-outs work), good acting and most importantly, characters that you care about.

The characters make no sense. The girl can kill her cat, but not give away the object to foist this horrible thing onto? Where's the logic in this? If she is so focused on herself to kill her cat, when she's stating she's a humanitarian, then she should have no trouble passing along the button to some miserable slime. So, when did she develop morals? Secondly, plot??? Story?? Hello??? Evil Dead had a strong storyline. This does not. in fact, this movie seems to have had an idea, and was made off an idea, and did a typical, Hollywood cop-out ending instead of thinking of a valid way to make this film wrap up in an intelligent way.

Don't waste your money. Go see Knowing. At least the story in that film is strong, original and to me, unique.

Forget the rating

Author: kosmasp
28 June 2010

And by rating I mean the "PG-13" one. Seems like you can get away with murder these days with a PG-13 rating ... Seriously though: While this was one detail that got discussed quite a bit, even before the movie came out, many "fearing" (no pun intended) that Raimi had lost his touch and had gone "soft" on them.

Fear no more (or actually do so, while watching the movie), because he hasn't. This movie is showcase of what Raimi is capable of. Sure you might not like the movie for various reasons, but Raimi does know how to build tension (and torture his protagonists apparently ... ask Bruce "Ash" Campbell and now the lovely A. Lohman) ... and serve as the good stuff. Disturbing images and a nice score, neatly edited and shot. One of the best Horror movies of 2009.

Sometimes it didn't get the recognition it deserved, sometimes it did (it just won another prize the other day). Of course there are flaws. Mr Jeepers Creepers (Justin Long) himself, reduced to a bystander for example. But in the end, it delivers fully on what it promises ...

A liberation from the hell of mainstream horror

Author: Simon_Says_Movies from Toronto, ON, Canada
7 July 2009

After surrendering to the temptation that was Drag Me to Hell, I jokingly announced to a friend that it was 1/3 horror, 1/3 gross, 1/3 funny and 100% fun! Yet as wholly cheesy as that proclamation is, it is no less true. Ultimate B movie director Sami Rami's first horror film in years, having dedicated himself to the Spiderman franchise, succeeds in putting almost all recent horror films to shame. Drag Me to Hell proves that an R rating is not needed for shock scares, nor does a PG-13 rating mean that the film must feel stunted and incomplete, only that it takes a dedicated and competent director to pull all the elements together.

I recently called 2009 the-year-of-the-almost-good-horror-movie, with films like Friday the 13th, The Haunting in Connecticut, My Bloody Valentine, The Last House on the Left et al, simply not measuring up. While I am still hesitant to drop that moniker, the thrills Drag me to Hell brings to the horror genre certainly improves the spread. Aside from the tantalizing premise itself, Rami masterfully constructs atmosphere and amazes even further with a rousing and terrifying score and an absolutely chilling use of sound. Many tense sequences drift between an eerie quiet and a cacophony of anguish born from everyday objects and occurrences such as pots, the wind and garden gates and this is the very best part of the film, even if some other elements don't measure up as aptly.

As a alluded to, aside from Rami's fan base the real reason you would be drawn to this film is the premise; and hell dragging there is. The unsuspecting victim is a young loan officer named Christine Brown (Allison Lohman) who in order to secure a spot in the managers chair denies an elderly lady a third extension on her mortgage. But her timing could not be worse, as the gypsy mystic curses her to burn in hell for her shameful display. Christine now has only three days to rid herself of the terrible curse, garnering the aid of a psychic, Rham Jas (Dileep Rao) and her boyfriend (Justin Long) while trying to ward off the tormenting demon on her remaining days. Lohman is very good in this, creating a character of equal parts spunk and sweetness. Long seems tailor made for a Rami film, as his ability to drift between comedy and drama is a huge asset and is excellent as a result.

The only real determent I found in this film was the ending, which I will not spoil. It was actually a rather odd feeling that came over me when the credits rolled as usually a sub-par ending leaves me either infuriated or disgusted. Drag me to Hell's ending left me feeling mostly indifferent and numb to the events of the entire film by which it was preceded. Many will disagree with me and I am glad, as I thoroughly enjoyed the film and wish the ending had satisfied me accordingly. But the good certainly outweighs and bad and this schlocky gross and funny horror flick is very re-watchable, and above all unique. If Rami can still turn out quality B movie thrills after all these years, perhaps there is hope for liberation from the true hell; which is the Hollywood horror scene of today.

Read all my reviews at simonsaysmovies.blogspot.com

Predictable and Clichéd

Author: weirdstrike from United States
30 May 2009

When I saw the preview for this movie, I thought it seemed interesting enough.

But no, the movie started for only 20 minutes and I figured out what was going to happen throughout the whole story. Guess what? I was right.

The movie is not scary, if that's what you were hoping for. It is only scary because the low then loud music they play every five minutes for supposed "suspense", will blast the living life out of your ears. The graphics are cartoonish, and it is more gore than actual fright. And that Mrs. Ganush lady sure liked sticking things in Christine's mouth, didn't she? And let's not forget the clichés. The skeptical boyfriend, the high-strung parents of the boyfriend, the being cursed by an old lady thing, the traitor co-worker, and the whole you think it's all okay but then the protagonist dies in the end unexpectedly, and when I mean unexpectedly, I mean you saw it coming if you have common sense. . Yes...she dies. DUH. The poster is actually a spoiler. That only happens in the end.

I watched this with my 11-year old sister and we both laughed hysterically at the "horror" scenes.

The end.