IMDb > Morning Glory (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Morning Glory - refreshingly sweet

Author: Stephen Cook from United States
8 November 2010

Rachel McAdams leads the way in this surprisingly refreshing flick as the workaholic television show producer, Becky, who lands the job of organizing "the worst morning show ever". She only has a short time to save the show's plummeting ratings, and in doing so must battle with low worker morale, conceited anchors, poor working conditions, as well as her own inadequacy in dealing with guy-problems. Desperate for a change, she recruits the legendary newscaster Mike Pomeroy, played by Harrison Ford, who is less than willing to cover any story he does not consider "worthy of his reputation".

The film brings not just a comic story of working with grumpy people, but the beautiful emotional tale of a girl who realizes her dream of being a television producer and, by pulling everyone together against the odds, creates a family in the process. But where the story is rather run-of-the-mill, the chemistry between the impressive cast is the movie's redeeming quality. Across the board, acting was fantastic, and in all honesty the movie owes its success to McAdams and Ford. Rachel McAdams should be commended for her frustrated role as Becky, and has proved that she has much more to offer than a just pretty face. Harrison Ford, perhaps the true star of the show, fully embraced the character of Pomeroy did a wonderfully fantastic job being grumpy, conceited, and an all-around "asshole" in one of his best roles as of late.

Morning Glory is a nice tale that will leave you with a sweet taste in your mouth. Combined with some real solid acting, this is not a movie you'll regret checking out!

I didn't expect much from this movie but came away quite happy

Author: hyprsleepy from Saint Louis, MO
15 November 2010

Rachel McAdams is what makes this movie so likable and cute. Her spunky optimism and always-on attitude is what drives the movie forward and gives it heart.

This is one of Harrison Ford's funniest roles - he plays the grumpy, I'm too good for this, I will do what I want and you'll just have to deal with it, asshole extremely well.

The witty banter back and forth between Diane Keaton and Harrison Ford is at times laugh out loud hilarious. I loved their chemistry and the weatherman's antics were the beginning of when my ratings for the movie started to go up. Once it all got going I thought to myself, "I'd watch that morning show!"

A fun night at the movies

Author: Bruce Jones (bl.jones@charter.net) from Southern California
12 November 2010

It's no secret that people go to see movies touted as being comedies for one reason, they want it to be funny and thereby make them feel a little better, or at least lighten their mood. That's what I was looking for when I went in to see this film. Thankfully, I was rewarded with more feel good value than I had paid for. This film is terrific entertainment.

I'll add that I enjoyed this film on a number of levels.

First, was the pure comedic value, which was high. Rachel McAdams owned nearly every scene she was in with not just her drop-dead-gorgeous-good-looks but with her well applied talent invested into this somewhat quirky, high energy character. McAdams' Becky was a finely crafted portrait of a warm, likable, very intelligent, hyper-kinetic, lovable screwball of a young woman. Her every moment on screen exuded lovable charm by the truckload; she's never looked more appealing or more lovely.

But McAdams certainly didn't have to carry this funny film on her own. She was ably assisted by some of the finest people in Hollywood in the persons of Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton, Jeff Goldblum, John Pankow, Patrick Wilson, Matt Malloy, Ty Burrell, Patti D'Arbanville and a long list of equally great supporters. What a great selection of professionals.

Ford was splendid as the emotionally parsimonious codger of an over-the-hill anchor. Not to be outdone, Diane Keaton was as terrific as ever in her turn as Ford's cynical, combative co-anchor; which she carried off with a wonderful exuberance and energy.

Jeff Goldblum - who always seems to land roles as some kind of "different" personality - was excellent as Ms. McAdams' crabby boss. McAdams' colleague Lenny was well worn by John Pankow who seems to add to everything I've ever seen him in. Patrick Wilson as McAdams' love interest wasn't given much material to work with but his time on screen was well spent, adding a quality performance in just the right place. Ty Burrell was funny and at the same time kind of spooky as an unappealingly unctuous departing anchor. Though a small part, it was pleasant to see Patti D'Arbanville play McAdams' mother with appropriate love and concern.

I saved Matt Malloy for last because he was an unexpected treasure. His portrayal of the show's weatherman suddenly thrust into a new and challenging role was particularly hilarious; the proverbial icing on the cake.

The second area of enjoyment was the overall effort put into the sets, art direction, sound and the other technical areas. Everything was first rate which added to the realism.

Finally, their depiction of the behind the scenes areas of a hectic television studio came across as spot on, actually heightening the chaos that seemed to follow McAdams everywhere. You can't go wrong seeing this film if you're looking for a fun night at the movies.

A big thank you to the makers of this entertaining gem! By Bruce L. Jones http://webpages.charter.net/bruce.jones1/

A feel good film

Author: (moossaboossa)
25 January 2011

At a loss of what to do, on a whim, I decided to go to the cinema. Being the opening night of 'Black Swan', I decided to leave that particular feature for another day. There were a few horrors, a few kids movies and then there was Morning Glory.

The Plot: Morning Glory is the story of one enthusiastic workaholic, Becky Fuller (Rachael McAdams), who is fired from her job at a Morning television show. Unemployed and desperate, she jumps at the offer of Executive Producer for a low budget, failing Morning show. The presenter of which, is the sour wannabe diva Colleen Peck (Diane Keaton) and the employees of which are under constant pressure to raise the audience ratings. Determined to prove her boss wrong, Becky Fuller goes to great lengths to improve the standard. One of her missions, is to employ world famous reporter, (and the third most horrible person in the world) Mike Pomeroy (Harrison Ford) as co-presenter.

My Opinion: There are some movies that leave you indifferent. You walk out of the theater, shrugging your shoulders and contemplating what to cook for dinner. Then there are those, that leave you with a definite emotion. Morning Glory, for me, was the latter. As the closing credits scrolled, I was inspired. I skipped out with a can-do spirit. Maybe its due to Rachel McAdam's contagious radiance. Maybe its Harrison Ford's excellent acting. Maybe it was the simple plot, and happy ending. I don't really know. All I know, is that even now, the after effect of this light comedy- was pure conviction that anything can happen, if you work hard and really want it.

To put it plainly, this romantic comedy was a pleasure to watch. And an excellent remedy for someone whose a little hopeless in these difficult financial times.

Not what I expected but very funny

Author: mbalderson-1 from United States
4 November 2010

I just came from a screening of this movie. I went in thinking total chick flick and came away quite impressed. There is a love story but it doesn't take up the whole movie and get heavy with it. The movie more centers around an up and coming producer of a local TV morning show that ends up at the lowest rated nationally syndicated morning show. what entails is a humorous tale of trying to get the shows ratings up.

If I had not received screening tickets to this movie I probably would have never have seen it in the theater but after watching this movie I would have gladly shelled out $10-15 for a ticket to this movie. Well worth the time and even better I got to go for free.

Sparkly Grumpy People

Author: Aliceart from Seattle, Washington
5 November 2010

Rachel McAdams is taking the lead this time in a rom-com that adds a little pathos, shows the rest of the world what it's like to be totally committed to a job (being a former workaholic, I can totally relate to this.) The pace is set at "sprint" and actually does a great job of going the distance. 10 cuts above a sit-com, but could possibly be turned into a very successful one about a fictional struggling #4 slot on the network morning show circuit. Adding to the mix and a lot of credibility, Jeff Goldblum, Dianne Keaton, and Harrison Ford, looking every bit his 60+ years, but still has a boyishness to his demeanor that hearkens back to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Patrick Wilson is the rom in "rom-com" and he holds his ground against the whirling dervishness of Rachel's character. The writing is outstanding and the one-liners, priceless. Check it out.

Fun Satire of the Morning News

Author: puffball97 from United States
14 November 2010

"Daybreak" pokes pleasant fun at today's 3 morning TV shows and the ins and outs of it and the world of television news broadcasting. It portrays all types of news and society archetypes - the ambitious young TV producer fired from her local TV station who wants higher ratings (Rachel McAdams), the brash, no-nonsense, seasoned and substantial anchorman (Harrison Ford), the perky female anchorman who smiles at everything yet is not completely comfortable working with an anchor who doesn't smile (Diane Keaton), the comical weatherman who breezes through forecasts and does humorous on-air stunts (Matt Malloy), the producer's boss who gets angry when things don't go well (Jeff Goldblum), the on-the-job boyfriend who wishes the producer wouldn't take her job too seriously (Patrick Wilson), the sexually charged younger anchor who the producer fires right away before hiring her the more seasoned veteran anchorman (Ty Burrell), and the producer's mother in a small part who makes her aware of today's unemployment and downsizing (Patti D'Arbanville). All these people and much more elements make up "Morning Glory" and tells us about the world that we live in today.

McAdams is young Becky Fuller, fired from her local TV station as the producer in New Jersey, and then gets her big break accepting the job of a fourth-place morning news show producer at a fictitious TV network across from 30 Rock called IBS. That morning news show is called "Daybreak," which relies more on style than substance. Right away, after Becky fires the lecherous anchorman (Burrell), she meets her childhood idol in the elevator named Mike Pomeroy (Ford). And as much as she has loved him all her life from afar, he initially doesn't reciprocate his feelings to her. She meets Colleen Peck (Keaton), who despite her on-air smiles, has a tough edge. She spent 11 years on the show and has worked with at least 15 anchorman, none who she really got along with. Now Peck and Pomeroy meet, she smiles, he grunts, and they eventually go head to head over their news styles. Ratings are close to cancellation due to clashing anchorpeople in contrast to the friendly repartee of Matt Lauer, Meredith Vieira, Ann Curry, and Al Roker, that we get to see every day on "The Today Show," and the silly stuff played on the show all the time.

After an important interview with the governor, where Pomeroy whisks Becky to see the substance of his career, Becky is offered a job as the producer of the always top-rated "Today Show," and feels that she had enough of Pomeroy's arrogance and ego, and demeaning attitude towards her. Predictably enough, Pomeroy loosens up and shares his secrets of cooking frittatas, something he did share personally with Becky. Ratings soar. We get that conventional happy rom-com ending just as we are always manipulated to believe that the heroine and hero depart after a quarrel in the third act.

"Morning Glory" won't be as Oscarworthy as "Network" or "Broadcast News" since both have more substance in them. But despite the fluffy nature (a word that Pomeroy avoids), there is more intelligence in this movie than you would expect. The first rate cast of older pros (Keaton, Ford, Goldblum) and younger rising stars (McAdams, Wilson, Burrell) make it worthwhile, and deliver smart, sassy humor and snappy zingers.

Motivational and Funny Movie!

Author: Jen Allen (kiokatt) from White Marsh Lowe's Theater on the Avenue
9 November 2010

I saw the screening of this movie last night and was pleasantly surprised that this was not another "chick flick". The story focuses around a young female producer that is hard working and hoping to get her dream job of Executive Producer (EP) of a well known TV morning show. Instead, she is accepted into the EP position on a failing TV morning show. Dedicated to her career, which was her dream since age 8, she has little time for men and romance. As the story progresses she has countless obstacles she must overcome and a high amount of stress that comes with the job. There are many comical scenes as the producer is practically at wits end during the main duration of the movie. She doesn't seem to lose her cool much of the movie, and when she does become infused with anger or passion she is constructive in using it to complete her job. This is a feel good story that shows with hard work, dedication (following a dream since age 8!), a bit of luck, and having faith in yourself, you can accomplish your goals. A nice change from the current female lead characters currently out there.

I left the theater thinking about my own career and how I could improve myself or work ethics. This movie is definitely a go-see!

Thank you bright morning for your splendor!

Author: mdtscoates from United States
8 November 2010

Morning Glory is a splendid work of film making, comprised of a winning storyline and characters we come to care about. Hats off to the writers, as the script really gives the movie a shot of adrenaline and reels you in. I consider it one of the year's finer comedies in an environment where abrasive humor seems to draw people in droves. What Morning Glory isn't is a romantic comedy or a "chick flick", as what we are tending to see on the previews. Rather, a story of an executive producer determined to turn around a dying TV show in comic fashion.

Rachel McAdams plays Becky Fuller, a laid-off executive producer scratching and clawing for a new job in the industry. She comes across a network station at the bottom of the totem pole and sees her chance. Working with Mike Pomeroy (Harrison Ford) and Colleen Peck (Diane Keaton) as her 2 co-hosts, the challenge just begins when she starts her plan to increase the show's viewer count.

McAdams' character Becky Fuller is inspired, the hard charging workaholic personality, on the laptop late at night searching for that next breaking news story. Of course, by working all the time, her social life is nonexistent. Her energy and optimism is infectious, as she impresses us with on her first day taking many drastic measures needed to make the station better. We come to root for her as she faces complacency and apathy all around her, she rises above it and we watch with bated breath to see what she'll do next. She is very diplomatic and manages to deal with all sorts of personalities for the betterment of the show.

Harrison Ford redeems himself from his role as a scientist in the year's earlier flop "Extraordinary Measures". He portrays Mike Pomeroy, the seasoned news anchor who only does the big stories. His comments about famous people he's interviewed in the past and now has to do a silly morning TV show arouse laughs. Pomeroy is the gruff seasoned veteran of the show, stiff and stern, and brings a prima donna attitude in with him -that he has standards and much of what is requested by Fuller is simply beneath him. Pomeroy comes to change his character to someone more likable by the time the film ends. Pomeroy's best moments are no doubt when he is putting down his co-host. The adversarial relationship between he and Peck is all too fun to watch. One of the finer moments with Pomeroy we discover that his workaholic mentality voided him of any close family relationships, and we feel for him, hoping that Fuller will take his wisdom and adjust her approach.

Diane Keaton plays Colleen Peck, the primary face of the show, who has been through all the changes over the years, including 15 different executive producers. She is skeptical of Fuller because of how terrible the show is and beyond help, and believes there is no hope. Peck is lively and shoots back at Pomeroy's comments with her own zingers. She is willing and receptive to Fuller's ideas to improve the show, and shows us her zeal by stepping out on faith with the new changes. Definitely one of the gems in the movie and a true pleasure to watch.

There is no doubt magic and chemistry in the air with the strength of the cast. It is fun to watch Pomeroy drive Peck and Fuller nuts, and the sparring co-hosts bring a lively and light mood to the film. We come to care about what Fuller is trying to do, and root her on as she encounters what seems to be insurmountable odds. This is a feel-good inspirational story that builds from the very beginning, never back-pedalling, with a minor romantic element added in.

8/10 stars

Cookie Cutter, but Cute

Author: clh-1 from Seattle, Wa
31 January 2011

In that time between summer blockbusters and the full-on Oscar blitz is time for Hollywood to take a breather. Sometimes the audience takes a breather too. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Here we meet Becky Fuller, trying to make the jump from local to network news show producer. She is put in charge of an ailing morning program, and when told that it is on its last leg, she takes the novel and bizarre step of forcing well-respected television journalist Mike Pomeroy into the co-host position via a quirk of his contract. and thus they are off toward saving the show... A plot like this doesn't really have much in the way of surprises. What really matters is how well the characters are written and how well the actors play their respective parts. While none of the cast is terrible, standing out are a low-key Jeff Goldblum, playing a cynical network executive. While an over stated, loud performance would have sufficed, Goldblum plays it a pragmatic working guy. He gets in a few good zingers early on though. The other standout is Harrison Ford. While he hasn't had much success in the field, he is actually very good at comedy usually playing the straight man to what is going on around him. Here he plays the gruffly lovable curmudgeon pretty well. A significant part of the the plot is his character's personal growth. On the whole, Morning Glory isn't going to sweep any of the major awards, but it's a gentle way to pass two hours and get a few good laughs in the process.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]