IMDb > Adulthood (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Adulthood

Adulthood More at IMDbPro »

Well crafted and engaging film

Author: Info-1367 from London
14 May 2008

Having just seen this film at a BAFTA preview, I felt that it deserves a favourable review. Noel Clarke has realised a well written, captivating film. Melodrama and action is finely balanced, moving the storyline smoothly along whilst capturing all the relevant aspects of the protagonists journey. There were one or two contrivances that were a little beyond expected reality, but they weren't totally unreasonable and only served to highlight the overall realism of the storyline. It is after all a drama and some concessions need to made to keep the suspense. The characters are all extremely believable and the cast all contribute with superb performances, bar none. Noel Clarke's own performance is outstanding, and is the bedrock of the film. Having only been aware of him from his appearances in Dr.Who, I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of character he manages to portray. The dialogue seems to be authentic in style and avoids making the actors seem like caricatures, as can so easily be done in films of a similar theme. Brian Tufano's cinematography was well measured and help to maintain a good balance between some nice editing, great soundtrack and solid direction.

I think Noel Clarke should be justly proud of his achievement in writing , starring and directing this genuinely entertaining film. If I seem to be lauding too much praise, it is because this film didn't fail to deliver where so many other low budget films do. It is a film with honesty, heart, action and integrity without preaching or patronising the viewer.

I liked it and I'm a cynical sod, so if anyone sees Noel Clarke, tell him he done alright.

Darcus (not Howe)

As good as "Kidulthood", if not better

Author: seawalker from Birmingham, England
7 July 2008

"Adulthood" was the sequel to "Kidulthood". "Kidulthood" was certainly not a subtle movie and neither was "Adulthood".

"Adulthood" was low budget, rough around the edges, harsh, brutal, and totally engrossing. Sometimes the acting of the young cast was variable, but it's best performers - writer/director/lead actor Noel Clarke, Scarlet Alice Johnson (in the role obviously originally intended to be Jamie Winstone's 'Becky' character from "Kidulthood") and Adam Deacon - managed to imbue their roles with a ring of truth.

"Adulthood" got by on relevance (the debate about gang culture and gun crime is constantly in British newspapers at the moment), raw power and energy. In fact "Adulthood" had enough raw power and energy to silence an unruly audience of mobile phone carrying teenage boys, wearing baseball caps and trousers that were too big for them. At least it did in the screening that I attended. Maybe they were shocked at seeing versions of themselves up on the big screen?

I thought that "Adulthood" was as good as "Kidulthood", if not better.

There is so much more to Noel Clarke than being known as a "Doctor Who" companion. You mark my words, he is a name to watch.

Brilliantly summarised movie..definitely worth a watch

Author: satydg from United Kingdom
3 July 2008

I had not watched Kidhood, the prequel to this movie but was so damn moved by Adulthood. I later realised that you don't need to watch the part 1 of it. Sam , the character was strong and genuine and in-your-face types and the movie, for sure, portrayed the underground life of the youngsters in the UK.

Worth a watch for sure and recommended for a critics award. The violence scenes were brutal at times but am sure the movie demanded the same.

Hats off to the director for bringing out raw talents out of these young actors and highlighting the growing problems of young crimes in this country.

A great follow up.

Author: shadowman123 from United Kingdom
24 August 2008

The first Kidulthood was a hard hitting reality based story based on the non-glamorised side that Hollywood would rather forget, it was however a very well made movie which even touched several points which I could relate to growing up in London. However the sequel was not that easy to watch either. Picking up on the events of what happened six years after the events of the first movie we find that the so called hunter has now become the hunted. Our murdering little hooligan has just come out of prison after doing his time and has realised that he is now a wanted man. This time it was still not easy to watch as we see people still stuck in the same vicious web and make no attempt to escape from it what so ever and that bleakish undertone always stays with the movie through out. Noel Clarke shows us an excellent way the consequence what certain actions may lead to on your-self and others around you. At the end of the day it kind of reinforces ones belief as to what is happening to society over here in general and who do we blame ? or how do we fix it? Like its predecessors it has funny moments but might feel a little unrealistic in places but in general it makes its point loud and clear. Check it out.

ADULTHOOD - 8.4 OUT OF 10

AFTER KIDULTHOOD COMES...

are you dizzy blood?.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
9 April 2011

Six years after Sam Peel is released from jail for killing Trife, he realises that life is no easier on the outside than it was on the inside and he's forced to confront the people he hurt the most.

Some have moved on, others are stuck with the repercussions of his actions that night, but one thing's for certain - everyone has been forced to grow up.

Through his journey Sam struggles to deal with his sorrow and guilt and something else he didn't expect - those seeking revenge.

As he's pursued by a new generation of bad boys, Sam sets about trying to get the message across to his pursuers that they should stop the violence.

Much like Trife tried to tell him all those years ago.....

A worthy follow up to kidulthood, this could also have been called Sam's redemption, as he is now a shadow of the character he was in the first film. And this is why Clarkes film works so well, because you never know if Sam will crack and begin to be the person he once was. There were times when i thought he would go back to his ways, but he only commits violence in this to protect himself, not because of wrath.

It's well scripted, and well cast. If you are from the UK, you will know that the 'gangsta' accents, a lot of the cast use are spot on, and also very annoying, just like in real life.

The ending is a bit over the top, and Danny Dyer has no real reason to be in this film, apart from acting the geezer, but these are minor quibbles in an otherwise terrific story.

Looks like Clarke could be big.

He even references doctor who when he is on the bus.

Effective sequel

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
1 September 2011

I found ADULTHOOD to be a decent film and one which actually surpasses the original. The reason is that I prefer the plot: I find the story of a sole character's redemption on the mean streets of London to be more focused and compelling than the multi-character narratives of the first film, KIDULTHOOD. At times, ADULTHOOD feels like nothing less than a modern-day western, with characters forming alliances and battling it out in a virtually lawless society.

Noel Clarke goes from strength to strength, undertaking not one, not two, but three separate roles here. First and foremost he directs, giving the movie the kind of gritty realism it desperately needs. Secondly he writes, crafting an interesting tale populated by engaging characters. Finally he acts, and delivers a fine performance as a man struggling to come to terms with his identity and place in society.

The supporting cast are fine – some delivering over-the-top performances, others more restrained and heartfelt, as the script requires. Overall, ADULTHOOD has a refreshing honesty about it that stems from the lives of the people it depicts: it tells their story in an unpretentious, almost documentary style, with plenty of natural humour and a great deal of emotion.

Brilliant follow up to KiDULTHOOD

Author: l_cobern1989 from United Kingdom
3 July 2008

Having loved the first one, I wasn't sure if this one would meet the mark of Kidulthood but I have to say it did. I wouldn't say it is better than the first but it is still really good. It was good to see they had a lot of new faces in the cast who played their parts well. I thought Scarlett Johnson who played Lexxi was brilliant. She played her role really well and was very convincing. Was very weird seeing her face again since the last time I saw her was in Eastenders and I thought she was good in that.

The groups of youths were good apart from Dabs played by Plan B. I didn't think he was a very good choice for his character. I know he was a part of the soundtrack but he just wasn't very good at acting. Sams brother was very good and I was very impressed with his acting. Adam Deacon who plays Jay and Femi Oyeniran who plays Moony gave great performances as well. Especially Adam who shows his acting abilities at the end scene.

Neol Clarke does a excellent job acting, directing and writing. I can't believe he done all of that. For first time directing he does really well and yet again he does a great job at writing. The story over all was really good. Makes you see how much Sam had change and how he wants to get on with life and how he portrayed the different life's of Jay and Moony. He writes some brilliant scenes like the scenes where Sam meets his Mum, where he meets Alisha and her daughter and where he speaks to his brother. Really well written.

And like the first film it had a great soundtrack thanks to Ashley Thomas aka Bashy. He chose some great songs and artists for the soundtrack. They had some great songs like Kidulthood to Adulthood, Who R U, F Ur X and many more. I really wanted them to use the MySpace winner song by Dot Rotten because it was very good and would of gone well with the film. The cinematography was really good as well just like the first and i really like the way they did the split screens. Thought that it was really clever.

If you have seen the first, you really must see this. Although I think it has it's down falls like the first, it is still worth watching and it will leave you shocked by the end. A very Enjoyable film but you must see the first to see this one.

An Unforgettable Mystery Drama

Author: FilmBrit from United Kingdom
19 July 2012

The characters progress from the previously made movie 'Kidulthood'. this time around the story focuses on Sam, the person who was sentenced for murder, only to find himself stuck in the problems he created and finding out that people are out their to get him for what he did.

Sam gets released from prison, he quickly finds someone is out to get him for this actions from the first movie which he decides to investigate, turning this more of a mystery thriller, thus making this more engaging to watch.

The other characters from the first movie return and new recruits whom take part in the action. Many of the returning characters are a bit minor however they don't really contribute to the movie as much and quickly move on, thus making the movie more focused on Sam finding who's after him.

Even thou the returning and new characters take part in minor parts, the acting is great and they do express themselves well. The goons sound and look as threating and the people expressing how much they were hurt during the past events really do express them well in the movie.

One of the more interesting things the characters do, is that they question each others behaviour, at one point one of the characters questions the use of language from the lead character after using a slang term which wasn't understood. There a lot of this during the movie which adds a lot of suspense on what's going to happen next which makes it worth the Drama.

I wouldn't called this a sequel to Kidulthood but more of a standalone mystery which helds on it's own and it does a good job of it. The characters including the lead character Sam are all likable characters, the story ties up and the story is memorable.

Yeah, blood innit.

Author: dominicpearson from United Kingdom
10 April 2010

I recall watching Kidulthood and coming away from it with no real like/dislike for it. It was an enjoyable film which attempted to hold a mirror up to youth culture in London. Some criticised it for being over sensationalised and not a true reflection but I have no first hand experience so couldn't comment.

It was, therefore, not high on my list of priorities to watch Adulthood. The thought of spending more time with the characters did not fill me with any feelings of joy. However I was very happily surprised at what a well crafted, produced and presented film this is.

The story picks up 6 years after Kidulthood. Sam has been released from prison and is almost instantly attacked. A threat is made against him and his family and he has to take action to find the source and put a stop to it.

The first point to note is that there is no need for you to have seen Kidulthood. Clearly you will enjoy the film on a different level if you have seen it as what develops are a number of scenes which focus on the impact Sams attitude and actions in the first film have had on the people around him.

The story develops at a perfect pace. We get to see more depth to the characters and understand the pain that they have suffered and continue to suffer.

Sams brother, for example, is on the same track as his brother was and this is down to the "legacy" of being related. Jay has turned into a petty thief and drug dealer and seems destined to crash and burn. We see how it has affected Sams mother, his ex and all (well, nearly all) of the central characters from the first film. The ripples of this one incident are clearly being felt this long after the event, ripples that will continue indefinitely.

At the heart of the film are two outstanding performances. The first, from Noel Clark (who also wrote and directed) is slow burning, poignant and extremely powerful. His experiences and the impact of the killing develop in the form of flashbacks, very little is actually said but we learn enough to know that if ever anyone regretted their actions it is Sam. The final scenes with Jay are heart wrenching, as is the one where Lexi is trying to comfort him in her flat.

Noel Clark plays the part brilliantly. He fully deserves all of the plaudits and recognition he received. Here is a character who I really did not care for in the first film. After watching Adulthood, however, I feel for him. I don't like him - you don't forget what his character did or that he is not a good person but you do empathise with him and the situation he finds himself in. It had to be a performance that balanced the regretfulness and showed the distance he had come but with the knowledge of his previous life and that strong elements of this remained. It could have been all brooding and moody or all anger and fury but the skillful performance found a perfect middle ground.

Second is Scarlett Johnsons performance. Her role is central to the plot and she is given time to really develop the character. The scene where she is leaving the message on Sams phone is heartbreaking. Knowing that she and Sam have similar issues and experiences gives us hope that there may be a happy ending for both of them. She is a damaged person trying to come to terms with the rape. She is struggling but sees in Sam redemption, someone who understands her sufferings and someone who can (possibly) help her.

Again, the focus could have been purely on the damage caused but the performance given shows the humanistic elements of the character. The hardness which slowly breaks down when she finds someone she can be vulnerable with. Like I said before, it is heartbreaking.

The supporting cast are, also, perfect. The final scene between Sam and Jay is brilliantly shot (apart from the Matrix moment halfway through!) and brilliantly acted. Again, you can see the very real pain Jay is suffering; pain that cuts to his very core.

All this is not to say the film isn't without flaw. I found the whole set up of the dealers extremely convoluted and unlikely. I also found myself getting agitated at the slang being used. I accept that this is the language used but some of the characters slipped in and out of it too easily.

Small concerns, however, in a film that shows that you can have a simple but strong story, some superb young actors and still have a great film without the need for big bucks or Hollywood. Congratulations Mickey The Idiot, the Doctor would be proud! 8.5/10

Brilliant follow on film from Kidulthood...

Author: MovieGuy01 from United Kingdom
30 September 2009

I just watched Adulthood this evening ,and i thought that it was a brilliant film that carried on from where kidulthood ended. It begins where Sam Peel is released from jail for killing Trife after six years. he is forced to see the people that he left behind that night and to face the consequences for what he did to them, after he murdered Trife all those years ago. A lot of things have changed since Sam has been released from jail, and a new gang of people are after him. I think that Sam was a fantastic actor in the film. as well as all the other actors that showed how hard it is to live life on the streets of London without getting involved in gun or knife crimes. The film featured a lot of strong violence. I think that the film gives out a strong message to young people in Britain theses days not to get involved with violence