IMDb > Play the Game (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Play the Game More at IMDbPro »

Enjoyable Movie

Author: dickklip from United States
31 January 2011

While very predictable, and done in a formulaic manner, (i.e. boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl), I thought this was a very enjoyable movie overall. You can read the story lines in other reviews, but I was impressed that this film tackled real life issues of generation gaps and similarities, the overall search by all humanity to love and be loved, and even the more difficult issues of senior sexual relationships, in a very forthright and truthful way. Andy Griffith was spectacular in his role as Grandpa Joe, and all actors were competent in their parts. This is a good old fashioned feel good movie. It reminded me of something my grandmother once said to me, when I was 21 and she was 83. She said, "you kids aren't doing anything that hasn't been done for ages". This movie brings that concept together beautifully! Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Loved It, Andy's Best since Waitress

Author: mmagick from United States
25 August 2009

As a guest of FilmMetro.com I had the wonderful pleasure of seeing this movie on 8-25-2009. Here is Phoenix this film will open on Friday the 28th. As Grandpa Joe, Andy Griffith is just wonderful and plays the 84 year old in a role he was born to play. Mr. Griffith played a character known as Old Joe in Waitress a few years back and was very good in that role but even better here as a retirement home widower learning how to pick up women from his grandson, a "player" car salesman with all the right moves. This film is a comedy gem that keeps delivering the laughs from start to finish. Hard to believe Grandpa Joe is getting more action than his grandson. I highly recommend this for all ages. Lots of comedy, lots of laughs and just the right amount of love and romance with a cute twist at the end.

Solid film

Author: jbalog3 from Baltimore, United States
4 November 2010

These reviews are a little harsh. The story is pretty cute. It has it's funny parts, but I didn't go in expecting much. It's a very basic plot that with some editing would be really good, but I think it is worth a watch.

I am a big fan of Indie films but they can be hit or miss. I thought it was a hit for originality in the story. I can agree with other reviews that it was rather annoying cutting back and forth between the two stories right when you get hooked. It has a feel good ending with a fun twist.

I do think the preview for the film is a little misleading. It is a lot more sexual than you would think, but I found it entertaining. Don't take it too literal or you won't have fun with it. There are some parts that might be considered offensive to ages 60 and up. I could see how the movie isn't for everybody. It's definitely aimed at young adults who are still maturing emotionally.

Good, entertaining, cute movie

Author: kelseypartyof5
20 December 2010

I was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining and "cute" this movie was. I had never heard of it, but love Andy Griffith. In regards to the other reviews, my only negative is that the movie could've toned down some of the sexual stuff. However, I know people who unfortunately express themselves that way in normal conversations. So, it's not too far off. As far as some comments about Andy's portrayal and dialogue, I'm guessing they've only seen him on TAGS and Matlock. Before TAGS he played a real selfish jerk (and wonderfully so) in A Face In The Crowd with Walter Matthau and Patricia Neal. Also, he was great as a vengeful, murderous grandfather in Gramps with John Ritter from the 1990's I believe. Anyway, he's great as usual, and the young actress is very believable as well. Enjoyable overall, and the ending was a surprise that was great...

Loved it

Author: mgarciber from USA
17 September 2013

I really liked this movie. It has a little of everything, romance, comedy and a twist at the end that I did not see it coming. When I saw the cover of the movie I was like " na... It is a movie of a nursing home". But it was 9pm and I did not want to see an action, horror, thriller movie because sometimes I cannot sleep with those movies because I suffer from anxiety.

So I told my husband it had good reviews and he said lets go for it. I laughed during all the movie especially with the role of the grandpa. But as a girl I love to see those movies in which those macho guys that think they have everything figured out with girls end up finding the real love. But what really caught my heart of the movie is the final part. I thought that all the movie was about him and at the end we learn all the movie was about her with that final twist.

I thought the movie portrayed Andy Griffith's character as too naive in a lot of ways.

Author: obxparadise from United States
14 August 2012

I enjoyed the characters David and Julie...and I loved the "twist" at the end - where she'd been playing the game too. I was not at all happy with Andy Griffith's character....at first it made "Joe" seem unusually simple for a man of his 84 years. Even if he'd only been with one woman all his life, he was bound to know more than he claimed to know. Then, it got a little uncomfortable when he started talking his "sex" talk and he appeared to be a dirty old man. It disappointed me, because that's just not Andy Griffith's style. (RIP). There were some truly funny scenes in the movie, though, most of them by David. I don't know why they chose the woman they did for Edna. She was definitely not an attractive OR sexy older woman. The sex scene between she and Joe literally turned me off...they could have done without that. Anyway, I did enjoy most of the movie, but I'm disappointed in Mr. Griffith's role in this movie.

Bad Writing + Mediocre Acting = Play the Game

Author: Sean Trank from United States
11 March 2012

My wife and I were looking for a good romantic comedy to fill our afternoon. We stumbled across this film on Netflix saw that it had 3.2 stars out of five and said, "Hey, why not?" I soon wished I would have read more reviews as the movie quickly advanced into awkward scenes of old people sex, bad advice, bad acting, and multiple montages that happened so frequently I could have told the story in half the time and saved a lot of time and money. Most of the scenes felt awkward in that the shots were to long and many times it felt that the actors were waiting to just say their lines. After reading the synopsis I thought it would be a clever smart story but the writing just felt stupid and unrealistic like a "just friends" meets any Ben Stiller movie where he does not play a psycho...

The Cinematography was great, well lit, good shots, bright colors, but why did you have to show me old people having sex and then pushing the dialog to a point where it got so repetitive that I could quote the movie before I had even seen it!?

All that to say I regretfully watched this film and am giving it 1 star...

Really not bad

Author: small movie from United States
22 January 2011

I watched this movie with my family a few weeks ago. We thought it was just okay for the majority of the movie. The relationship seemed clichéd, but cute. The plot was nothing revolutionary, but it was still moderately enjoyable. I was rooting for the protagonist, David. Andy Griffith was the best grandpa... very funny and enjoyable. Come to think about it, all of the old people were great. Again though, it was nothing extraordinary. Marla Sokoloff was great, especially at the end, which is when my family and I decided that we really did like the movie. If you can last through the majority of the movie, the last 10 minutes rap it up so nicely, it will give you a chill, and maybe make you fall in love with the movie.

Surprisingly not bad date movie

Author: nuhc from United States
7 February 2011

My wife downloaded this on Netflix. We'd never heard of it before, but she liked the description so we watched it. The story line is of a young player who's out trying to score with women who visits his grandfather (Andy Griffith) in the retirement community. Apparently his grandmother recently passed away, and his grandfather made a promise to her that he would date again after she died. He tries to teach his grandfather all the tricks of getting women, and meanwhile meets a girl he really falls for. In a twist, the young player becomes a one-woman man, while his one-woman grandfather becomes quite the player.

This movie was surprisingly good for not having a lot of name brand talent (other than Andy Griffith and Doris Roberts). The younger actors in this movie tend to act a little stiff and it's as if their characters weren't completely fleshed out, but nonetheless the movie seems to come together in the end, even though the ending tends to be somewhat predictable. The funny parts though are the older actors discussing sex, like you wouldn't want to hear your grandparents talk about getting it on. And then a funny plot twist in the end makes this movie just a little bit better.

Play the Game

Author: KKrastin from Austin, TX
11 January 2014

A movie that everyone dating should see and decide whether you play the game with dating, or play the game at work. Loved seeing another side of Andy Griffith (Grandpa). It was nice seeing Doris Roberts (Rose), from Everyone Loves Raymond, banter with Grandpa. It created an nice look of age stereotyping on what is love and how we define what love will look like for each of us. Will we know love when it arrives?

There's definitely something to appeal to all ages watching this movie! Lots of laughter along the way!

I've seen this before too and never wrote the review back then, but I did so this time to make sure that you are encouraged to watch this.

Great date movie to watch and wonder in the end.. ?