IMDb > Alien Trespass (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Huh?

Author: mrbusyb from United States
21 March 2011

Hello, beloved movie goers. Unfortunately, this movie really sucks. Totally inappropriate for a retro movie, I had to hide the eyes of my dog when the part showed the doctor and his wife blatantly sharing the same bed together. Being a typical man, I kept imagined retroactively making love to all the pretty breasted women in this movie, but then I realized they would all be old women by now. But then I remembered this is a retro movie! Needless to say, all that thinking got me out of the mood. And if this had actually been a movie of the 50s, would it have been ahead of its time? The answer is no. Was this a comedy? No. It did have some lightheartedness in it to be sure, but it couldn't make up its mind one way or the other. Did the special effects in the movie accurately depict the horrible special effects used in movies back then? To this, my answer is "Huh?" As one of these flicks would have cost about $34,000 to produce back then and as this new one probably cost a total of $2,000,000, when taking inflation into account, this movie will probably become long forgotten in no time at all and then filed away as just another one of those cheap movies from the fifties. Don't buy this movie. Don't even rent it. Indeed, wait until the movie is one day included in with eleven other dumb movies from the fifties. Then buy it!

A very funny spin of the old movies of the 50's

Author: Nick Damian from Toronto, Ontario
27 January 2011

A clever designed movie written and performed in the style of the movies from the 50's.

Casting is pretty good, but having to say that the costumes and set design is what actually makes this movie a film that brings back the early days of space alien movies.

The set design is dead on, from the cars to the smallest of details like buttons and door knobs and cups in the diner.

Some people will really like this movie and some will not, but to truly understand this and appreciate this movie, you have to see films from the 50's.

There are so many little things that make this a treat to see and the silly monster that is absolutely hilarious is one of them.

A nice treat after watching so much crap.

Great recreation

Author: siderite from Romania
22 January 2011

Inspired from movies like The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Blob and other old horror movies, Alien Trespass is a funny film. It is done in the same manner as in the 50's, complete with weird music and rubber monsters, the language and behaviour of the era, old cars and ridiculous hair styles. If released at the time, it would have been a classic. As a 2009 movie it is only a great recreation of a period 50 years ago and a tribute to half a century of horror making.

Bottom line: the funny thing is, comparing the rubber monster that turns people into puddles to today's monster, you see how much the technology had advanced. Comparing the plot, there isn't much in the way of evolution. I think any scifi fan would enjoy this.

send-up of a 1957 drive-in type of movie. BUT IT IS LIKABLE

Author: Jay Harris (sirbossman6969@yahoo.com) from United States
14 August 2009

This film reminded me of the type films that played occasionally as a part of a drive-in triple feature,way back in 1957.

They generally were released by studios on the lower tiers of the studios. To give you an idea of how far down the list these studios were,

Republic, Monogram & Producers Releasing would be higher up on the list.

What we now have is a 2009 movie made in that style using a cast of not very well known players. The acting is done in the same weak style as they did back then & the same goes for the production values. This film was made in the Vancouver, Canada area..

They used to be made in the studio & the back lot and in black & white.

This is in glowing colour of the type they used in 1957.

The special effects in 1957 were on the 'cheezy' side & they aren't much better now.

I did not expect a real good film, In 1957 I did enjoy these for what they were. I enjoyed what I saw tonight in the same way. It definitely is worth a rental, By the way in the films of the '50's & earlier, people did properly dress as seen in the film.

I forgot to say who is cast: Eric Mccormick from some TV show has a nice double role as the lead. Robert Patrick is the only other known player.

R.W.Goodwin directed,James Swift & Stephan P.Fisher did the story & screenplay.

My rating probably is close to what it would have been in 1957, The film is not very good BUT it is likable.

Ratings: **1/2 (out of 4) 66 points (out of 100) IMDb 6 (out of 10)

Will & Mars Attacks

Author: Lawson from Singapore
6 September 2010

This movie is reminiscent of Mars Attacks! in its throwback to the campy sci-fi of five decades or so ago. Mars had Tim Burton at the helm, however, and undoubtedly a larger budget since it also had a huge battery of stars. Alien Trespass has an unknown director and just Eric McCormack, who can't play a comedic role without evoking memories of Will, from Will & Grace. While having bigger names and budget doesn't guarantee a better picture, it does skew the odds in its favor.

Alien Trespass just doesn't go anywhere interesting. It tries but fails to be novel with its humor and story, which oh yeah, reminded me of Men in Black, with the aliens pulling humans into holes before taking over their bodies. Another big budget comparison this movie pales against.

A gentle, funny movie; gets the spirit right, if not the details.

Author: minimalist from Canada
23 August 2009

I started watching Alien Trespass with some reservations: I'm definitely a fan of the "source material" for this movie, but I haven't really enjoyed many of the handful of retro/homage/pastiche 50s-style genre films I've seen in the past decade.

In the early going, if you're inclined to be suspicious of the movie's intent (and I was), you may find some technical details that are sort of jarring: "cheap" CGI substituting for the papier-mâché-string-and-sparklers school of SFX, matte paintings and studio backdrops that somehow don't feel period-authentic (might be that the compositing is too good, even when it's intentionally "bad?"); that sort of thing.

However, once I was introduced to the excellent and very likable cast, and allowed myself to settle into the rhythm of the dialogue, none of that mattered. There's a gentleness in the style and humour that just felt right to me. Of course "right" is completely subjective, and all but useless in determining if you will like the movie; I'll say instead that if you're not in a technical-nitpicking frame of mind (or if you are, but you're willing and able to get past that), it's a very easy movie to enjoy, especially if you're relaxing with it on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

There's a lot of sharp, caustic humour to be found on TV and in movies these days, and that's not a criticism - I guess I enjoy ironic detachment, sarcasm, and "snark" as much as the next guy - but if you come to this movie expecting that kind of experience, I think you're going to be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you genuinely like the source material, and you're willing to enjoy something pretty much on its own terms, without the broad safety net of winking self-awareness that most "retro" films seem to employ, then I think you'll have a good time with Alien Trespass.

The point is ..... sometimes less is best ........

Author: merklekranz from United States
16 September 2009

If you are looking for a sci-fi that doesn't rely on big name actors to suck you into the theater, doesn't have endless explosions and car chases, doesn't rush into the story without developing characters, and doesn't have any men in black, then "Alien Trespass" is for you. It kind of reminds me of the retro zombie movie, "Fido", with it's flawless attention to 50s period detail. It is what it is, and if you grew up on a steady diet of 1950s sci-fi, you will appreciate the film. If on the other hand you are addicted to c.g.i. extravaganzas, this is not going to be a pleasant viewing experience at all. If minimalist 50s entertainment is to your liking, I recommend "Alien Trespass". Sometimes less is best. - MERK

Great Fun! little point....

Author: Michael-d-duncan from United States
16 August 2009

I really liked this movie. It had all the antics and clichés of a fifty year old sci-fi movie but with the better acting, picture quality and audio of a newer movie. People may rag on the quality of the acting, but it is supposed to be a bit over the top and clichéd. THAT'S THE POINT! Most of what I read about this film was so negative that I was really reluctant to spend the time to watch it, but I think a lot of people are missing the idea. The movie is supposed to be pretty cheesy and goofy. There is not supposed to be some great contribution to the philosophical understanding of the human condition, nor are you supposed to put this down as an adrenaline pumped thrill ride. It's more like hearing an out of this world tale from your granddad with dementia, you don't take it seriously and just kind of enjoy the ride. This is the kid coaster you take for the nostalgic pleasure NOT the pulse-pounding fear ride you take to prove you're a man.

All in all a great lite cinematic meal.

Purposely Awful?

Author: wwazman from USA
24 October 2012

Contrary to another reviewer who loved this movie and gave it 9 out of 10 stars, I give this movie 2 out of 10 stars. Oh where to begin?! the acting is subpar.. sometimes it can be decent for the characters to be in 1957, and other times it misses the mark completely.

Another thing I dislike about the movie is the inconsistencies and historical errors - such as segregation in the 1950's, speech types "Chill out; Bite me" and other inaccuracies. Specifically also Tammy's short speech about "how dare you hunt something, there's plenty of meat in the market!" This attitude didn't exist back then and is a blatant vegan 2009 affront.

Special effects are laughable. While some 1950's items and materials are well preserved and kept, I literally laughed out loud at a very badly done green screen with the star attempting to walk down a dusty highway and the costar drive next to him and stop her car. Very obvious, noticeable mismatch of timings between the car, the background, and the actor limping gait instead of walking. This might have been better done if only in black and white.

Plot is mainly nonsensical, but again, I think the movie was aiming to be a 50's scifi movie, so that's passable. It would have been nice to see a purposeful GOOD 50's movie done though, and do it right rather than slacking off.

Not as funny or entertaining as the films it spoofs

Author: curtis martin from Bothell, Washington, Land of Rain
27 August 2009

"Alien Trespass" is a tribute/mild spoof of 1950's monster/sci-fi flicks like "I Married a Monster from Outer Space" and "It Came From Space." It's well made, but kind of dull. The filmmaker's succeed in recreating the look and feel of these old movies, but they fail to make their film either as entertaining as the real deal. There aren't really enough jokes (good ones, anyway) to qualify "Alien Trespass" as a true spoof and it doesn't improve on the old formula enough to succeed as an entertaining tribute (for instance, the monsters look much, much more fake than those in the original films did). Why just re-create an old movie style if you're not going to do it in a new or clever enough way to differentiate it from the movies that have already been done? Part of the gimmick of "Alien Trespass" (emphasised in the DVD special features) is that the film actually is a 1950s film that was recently re-discovered, having been literally buried in the ground for half a century. A story built around the rediscovery of the film, with clips of "Alien Trespass" used as a film-within-a-film would possibly have made a more entertaining flick, a la the "Mant" feature in Joe Dante's "Matinee."

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]