IMDb > Alien Trespass (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Loving tribute to 1950s scifi, somewhat hampered by its very sincerity

Author: insightstraight from The wilds of New Mexico
2 April 2009

Let's be clear right from the start -- "Alien Trespass" is not a spoof. Nor is it a parody, satire, sendup, lampoon, or pastiche. It may be presented as a spoof and most ticket buyers will likely go in expecting one, and the makers of the film may even have set out to produce a spoof.

But what they achieved instead is a meticulous recreation of a film from the 1950s, earnest and straightforward. The period detail is truly impressive, with costuming, sets, and locations all note-perfect. Even the casting is to be commended, especially for the younger actors -- it is actually difficult to find actors who can convincingly portray people outside their era, but these folks do a great job. There are a few minor anachronisms, but overall the period recreation is staggering, right down to the feel of the film stock and even the lighting.

The film's accuracy is actually its greatest problem, in terms of success. Instead of the "Airplane" type treatment many will expect, the film instead gives us just what it pretends to: a film made in the 50s but only recently unearthed. But this means it has only the camp factor inherent in those films; the audience with which I shared the preview screening wanted it to be a spoof, laughed at some parts, but the things they were laughing about were accurately rendered from that time -- they were laughing at period "quaintnesses" only gently exaggerated. The film is too straight-faced and sincere to get the average viewer laughing.

I am surprised this movie got made, but near-astounded that it is getting a theatrical release. The production values are high, and Eric McCormack has some name draw, but I am still not sure how they sold it for distribution.

Let's put it this way: If you know who Wade Williams is, if you and your friends trade dialogue from "Forbidden Planet" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still", or if you ever saw the original Blob in an actual theater, this movie will give you a warm feeling and a nostalgic smile as a love letter to the movies from that time. Just about everyone else, I am afraid, will feel perplexed and disappointed.

I enjoyed "Alien Trespass", and I feel like they made it just for me. But really, how many of me are there out there?

Loved the movie

Author: tommylarc from United States
21 April 2008

I attended the premiere of "Alien Trespass" last night and I wanted to share a thought or two.

Authentic is the first word, which comes to mind. The sets, the period pieces, the language, the automobiles, everything was beautifully realized, developed, researched to create the "authenticity" of small town America in 1957.

Humor, well, it goes without saying. The script was superb.

"Great Dick" "The Goata is a biomorphic being cable of making itself invisible" "Paranoid camera" " The Edsel will be around forever" " I had a pipe"

Execution, Direction, Lighting, Timing, all superbly done, top notch and professional. It was crafted beautifully.

I left the movie theatre with a sense of delight and chuckle. My older sister remarked how she remembers playing on the Electrolux when we were kids skidding around the living room like a sleigh. The colorful jackets, the housewife, the pipe, The 3 holed Buick (not a four holed Century) all fond memories as a kid growing up. The illusion of a better time, innocence, naivety, which we fondly look back on, but it never really existed, the lack of knowledge but the pursuit of greater understanding of space, star ships, time travel, aliens, far off planets and the unknown. I walked out thinking "I loved that movie" it brings back so many good memories.

But the movie does more. With all its authenticity, humor, superb production, scoring, timing, lighting, acting, writing and direction, all necessary ingredients to establish quality, continuity and credibility, the movie makes us laugh at ourselves. This was best realized when we, the audience, were seated in the theatre watching a movie about a movie. It was during the "Blob" segment that we in fact became part of history.

The Blob segment was woven brilliantly, right down to the original chief of police. Instead of hearing Steve McQueen shouting CO2, CO2, I kept saying to myself, NaCl idiots, NaCl. The audience was experiencing three movies at once and we were laughing at all three simultaneously. So, it was more than a period piece, but also contemporary in its ability for us to see ourselves over a 50 year stretch of time and simultaneously, ponder if the human race will evolve in the coming 50 years.

It was simple in its complexity like Little Miss Sunshine, nothing pretentious, just accessible and wonderful for everybody. It makes us feel humanly vulnerable and gives us an opportunity to laugh at ourselves in the process. To ponder complex ideas in simple human terms and concurrently laughing out loud at our naivety and silliness, is well, very tough to pull off successfully…………. I loved it, thanks for making it.

An avid movie goer.

if you love 50's sci-fi, then see this

Author: threexfive from Luling, TX
5 April 2009

First, this is not a comedy. It's clear that the filmmakers were sincere in making this movie and tried to recreate a movie with the feel of a 1950's sci-fi, including the same kind of humor (for the most part). Sure, a comment that Edsels would be around forever, but there's not even a whole lot of that.

This film was made for people who enjoy watching the monster movies made 50 years ago. This has it all; small town in the desert, unusual goings-on in the hills; teenagers that adults won't believe; even the local scientist. It's an homage in the finest tradition.

As such, if you can't stand watching old '50's sci-fi, then don't bother with this. But if you catch yourself at the video store looking for some forgotten red-scare flying saucer thriller, or if your copy of This Island Earth is in regular viewing rotation, then Alien Trespass is intended for you, and you should see it.

Classic Sci-Fi Film

Author: theroadnorth from United States
2 January 2009

Do you remember: It Came From Outer Space, War of the Worlds, The Blob and Invasion of the Body Snatchers? If you liked these classic 50's Sci-Fi movies, then you'll love Alien Trespass. It's a smartly written terror/mystery/comedy that is completely true to the 50's Sci-Fi style . . . and it's also in color! When I was a kid I went to see all these movies and unfortunately most of them were not that great. Then starting in the 70's people began making retro versions with the same disappointing results. Alien Trespass is the first and only really well crafted retro Sci-Fi movie I've ever seen - I've waited a long time for this one. They claim that it's a 'lost classic' stored for 50 years. I think they could be right!

A Perfect 50s Time Warp

Author: StevenPaige from United States
1 April 2009

As someone raised on those Grade B 50s sci-fi movies, I was delighted to be treated to one more. The movie is a love poem to the genre. Unlike contemporary sci-fi monster thrillers, which rely on unreasonably graphic gore and violence, this movie finds its feet in story and pathos. The characters are memorable, the special effects are sublimely imperfect, even the monster has an endearing quality in its hokeyness. The film captures the hopes, dreams, angst and fears of the 50s, and evokes not as much nostalgia but perspective. The film is not satire, for the characters believe in themselves and their peril as seriously as we believe in ours. Neither is it comedy, despite some truly funny moments. My sense is the actors had a whale of a good time in their roles. Although humanity is indeed threatened in Alien Trespass, we see that the essence of humanity extends far beyond our own solar system.

A wonderful revisit of the 50's Space Monster Movie

Author: Rabh17 from United States
17 August 2009

It's not really a Spoof. They are playing their lines EXACTLY as they would had it been 1950. The difference is that now in the 21st century-- we can do Spaceships and Monsters MUCH better.

But it's all there-- the sleepy midwest town. The Scientist and his wife. The Town Sheriff and his Deputy. The Teen lovers sneaking a smooch at 'The Point'. The Town 'Bad Boy'. . . and all the rest. Except now it's all in brilliant HD color. And in the dialogue and sets you can catch the little winks at the Manufactured Mores of that time.

Think "It Came from Outer Space" re-Mastered and you'll have fun watching it. Especially if you're old enough to remember!

This one is Best for a Saturday Night. And Oddly enough, this movie isn't for the Kids. It's for Us.

Have some chilled wine and pull the girlfriend close. Even She'll have a hoot!

What a movie!

Author: sherazade92700 from United States
10 January 2009

I just watched this movie at the Palm Springs Film Festival Premier screening and I recommend you all to watch, it is a great movie and I had the pleasure to see the Director and Erick McCormick talking about the movie and the making of this fantastic work. I will see it again when is on the movie circuit! The scenes really takes us back in time and the Cast did work their part really well too, the costumes. It's funny, entertaining and everyone in the Theater had the were really pleased and voiced out on their comments.

Worth Seeing everyone!

Yara

I highly recommend Alien Trespass

Author: janecat73 from United States
30 December 2008

I must say I loved the movie Alien Trespass. I saw it at a test screening in LA recently and because my parents are from the 50's I really didn't think I'd like it. However it's a movie that's intelligent yet innocent, vintage yet state-of-the-art, thrilling and also heart-felt. I thoroughly enjoyed the Gold-a-Vision concept; the colors were so vibrant! Alien Trespass is the best trapped-with-a-monster-right-behind-you movie I've seen in a long time. Wait until you see the Ghota! It's actually scary in a really creepy way.

Tammy (Jenny Baird) is a heroine like no other in 50's sci-fi films. She thrills you, she is strong yet she is also soft. Tammy is a real woman who does what she can (and then some) to protect herself and the people around her. Of course, the better known Eric McCormack, Dan Lauria and Robert Patrick all dole out superb performances; but keep in mind that this film is stocked with new-comers who are perfectly cast in their believable characters.

Alien Trespass is a perfect movie for both young and old. You won't see any nudity or hear any cussing - just a smart, clever script and a well-done storyline. A great sci-fi ride in a time machine. It's really a classic from the 50's (back to the future) and who knows - maybe it even could have happened . . .

Movies From The "ID"!

Author: KissEnglishPasto from Pasto, Colombia
17 October 2013

........................................................from Pasto,Colombia...Via: L.A. CA...and ORLANDO, FL

If reading my "Summary" Phrase provokes a reaction (good or bad), brings back memories, or holds any special meaning for you, watching "Alien Trespass" undoubtedly will trigger the release of large quantities of DOPAMINE from your basal ganglia, prompting you to rate it 7* or higher. If you're clueless after reading my lead-in phrase, you should expect no more than 6*. Simple as that! So, if you're reading this solely to determine if you might like "Trespass" or not, "Mission Accomplished!"

Should you want or need more information, here it is:

For those of us who couldn't get enough of those schlocky 50's/early 60's "B" Sci-Fi/Horror flicks, "Trespass" serves up a laundry list of "B" movie conventions, in just the right sequence, duration, intensity and style:

The somewhat nerdy, but relatively good-looking astronomer/scientist, who warns of potential danger lurking behind every asteroid; his femme fatale Stepford-wife, whose libido seems 180 out of sync with his; the teenage couple parked on lover's lane who first encounter the alien monster, only to discover that no one will believe a word they say! Their apparently absolutely nothing in common "Cool Cat, Hey, Daddy-o" black leather jacketed best friend with all the good ideas; the "Let's-lock-up-all-those-crazy-juvenile-delinquent-punks!" local police chief; the reclusive drunken old codger and his Old Yeller look-alike dog, who live in the area adjacent to the crimson-glow crash-site; the resourceful, but desperate to land a husband, waitress from the local diner; and an only slightly digitally enhanced cheesy, tree stump tentacled Cyclops alien monster…among other elements!

I can offer up no rational explanation as to why the last 45 minutes had me mesmerized, other than that watching countless B movies in my youth seems to have hard-wired my brain to crave them! Be sure to watch the special features shorts, they're a real treat and will help you appreciate the film even more! Comparisons to 2004's "Lost Skeleton of Cadavra" are inevitable. Despite giving "Trespass" 8*, "Cadavra" I consider a unique 10* masterpiece, in a league all its own!....ENJOY/DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English or Español, are most welcome!

KissEnglishPasto@Yahoo.com

An excellent 'modern' take on an 'old' movie type!

Author: Tom van der Esch from Netherlands
24 December 2009

I'm a big fan of classic black-and-white horror movies with goofy monster designs, stupid dialog and acting and a lame or inconsistent plot that makes no sense.

Well, Alien Trespass has all that, but it's a 2009 movie!

Here's the story: An alien crashes on our planet and it's captive, a violent creature known as a Ghota (or however you spell it?) escapes. Our alien goes on a chase across the country to find this Ghota, or else mankind is doomed...

I can see from which movies this film has taken inspiration. Here's a short list of movies that came to my mind while I was watching this: Teenagers from Outer Space (1959), The Green slime (1968), Island of Terror (1966) and The Blob (1958) {They even show parts of this classic movie in a scene at the cinema!}. I'm sure there are more references, but those are the ones that I recognized right away.

Alien Trespass is not for everyone. I'm sure a lot of people think it's a lame, stupid movie that doesn't appeal. HOWEVER if you are a fan of old classic sci-fi 'horror' movies then this is definitely a watch for you.

Alien Trespass captured the spirit of 50's/60's movies perfectly. A job well done!

8 out of 10 stars.