IMDb > "Fringe" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Fringe"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Fringe" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 37: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Don't worry about the logic, just enjoy the drama

Author: LouE15 from United Kingdom
22 October 2009

Incomprehensibly negative reviews here: what heights of TV brilliance were all these disappointed people expecting? Seriously, this is just 'mad science' packaged beautifully for mid-evening TV (after work, brain no longer required), and it does, I think, exactly what it says on the tin. I understand that creator J J Abrams was behind "Alias" and "Lost". OK, yes, pretty good. But...er...the soaring expectations were based on what, exactly? (And no, I'm not counting his wonderful "Star Trek" - different medium, different ball game.)

The formula is familiar to us all from countless scientific exploration/forensic/detective shows, so to me there was no great leap to understand the setup, and definitely no questioning of it. It's not deep – add one part crime detection, two parts quirky "work family", one part dysfunctional father-son relationship, and four parts pseudo-science, conspiracy government plot science. Do we actually mind that it's "X Files" for a new generation? Or that the detecting conclusions leapt to through impossible scientific bounds are tenuous in the extreme? Who cares?! Does it actually need to make sense if it's addictive and well made?

I don't spend my mid-evening TV time worrying about continuity and logic, especially not for shows like this which make throwing logic out of the window sort of a point of honour. Provided - as in this case - it loosely ties together, the characters are not cardboard cut-outs and have interesting inter-relationships, and it looks pretty good and keeps the low-IQ part (of course it's only a part!) of my brain entertained, I pretty much got what I came for. I like Agent Olivia's fearless stares; I like Peter Bishop's murky past (a little at odds with his boyish face under the beard); I like the supporting cast, especially Broyles (forever Lt. Daniels in my mind!) and, crowning glory, I adore Dr Walter Bishop, bless his delightfully unhinged self-medicating cotton socks. I love it. And now despise me if you dare.

Lost the plot - and cheap

Author: andy441970 from United Kingdom
18 June 2014

It started well, investigating Fringe case after case, but then somewhere it has lost its direction and it has become Harry Potter style magic (sorry, "science").

Like in so many other series and films, there are huge events which are (a) completely unnecessary and (b) completely unbelievable. So for example I am watching season 5, Olivia and Peter's daughter gets killed, now I ask you, after 5 seasons of dodging bullets and escaping death in the most unbelievable manner, why kill the daughter now? Did the actress have a disagreement with the producer? And OK, she is dead, I expect to see Olivia in mourning. For years. Instead I see her saying "I cannot sleep" like I'd inform my wife that the roast is a bot over cooked! And in the next episodes Olivia strolls along the screen with her usual spring in her step and her body and arms flailing, as she has no care in the world. No, this is not how a mother who has just saw her daughter dieing in her arms behave. Not even in Harry Potter movies.

I should see a subdued Olivia, with no make up, with bad hair, with unkempt clothes, an Olivia dragging her heels and walking with a heavy step. Not an Olivia reminiscent of Season 1 solving yet another case. Not after her daughter has died.

This is CHEAP.

There are a lot of "lost direction" issues, but this one makes the whole series really cheap.

The most crazily twisted plot ever!

Author: ladyarabellamalfoy from Estonia
1 October 2013

I stopped watching this series half way because I just couldn't live through the emotional strain it was getting on me. I've watched all kinds of TV series, but this one tops them all because I've never seen such plot twists because it is not linear at all.

The characters come together and part, die and come back to life and then die again, and at some point my head started turning with the plot, because nothing could be anticipated. And that was fabulous!

The acting is phenomenal! Considering that the actors had to play several alter egos of themselves. Standing ovation to John Noble, because the depths of his character are immeasurable.

The series explores the topics of the possible threat of science development for humanity, but the main angle is the parents' love for their children. I've never seen father-son relationship presented like this before, because even if the circumstance seem to be a bit over the top at times, the depicted feelings are real.

It is astounding what parents can do for their children. Destroy a couple of universes, for example. And multiple times at that.

Scifi romance with action, adventure and time travel.

Author: steel_indigo from United States
13 September 2013

I generally watch movies because series shows always get canceled and many prematurely as this series due to flawed viewer tallies. I have watched all five seasons and loved this show but I am a big science fiction and fantasy fan and this was actually a mixture of the two with a romance threaded throughout the storyline. I felt this particular series was genius. I have read many of the negative reviews and I feel they are people that really don't care for science fiction or know much about fringe science. Anna Torv was excellent in the part of Agent Dunham. She had a lot to do with carrying this series off. She kept her character in line with the story. She wasn't a demonstrative person due to her childhood and that was well portrayed and when they changed to the alternative universe there was a distinct difference between the personalities of the two. Some have stated she can't act and I think that is a big stretch of the imagination to ever say that about this actress. She did a great job with her part as did John Noble who played the eccentric scientist, Walter. He had to play dual roles as well and did an excellent job along with Blair Brown who played Nina. Then there was Peter played by Joshua Jackson and the real reason I wanted to see the show since I love this actor.

This was a fast paced series except for the first few setup episodes before they established the theme. Since I am interested in Fringe Science I was delighted with the series. I was stumped by the cyphers they kept showing. I understand at least one person figured out the first one which was said to mean Observer. Some of the topics that came up in introduction like synesthesia is not considered as fringe and many universities are studying the condition which is sensory. I didn't see it presented in the story but it was in the lists of topics that appeared. I loved Jesika Nicole as Astrid especially the version from the alternate universe. Over time the characters became endearing. I don't find it anything like the X-Files at all and prefer Fringe to that show. Time travel, alternate universes and other topics mentioned are hot topics right now so you may see them in the story lines of many science fiction series. The 4400 investigated the topic as well but differently. It doesn't make the shows alike just because it has topical similarities. I believe the show was canceled too soon and I know it had a following with older people because many of my friends were watching it that are older than 49 where Nielsen has a cutoff. I recommend this series to any hardcore science fiction fan who doesn't mind a little romance thrown in and a lovable mad scientist. The last show was a pretty good ending to the series and for me brought tears but all the same if it had to end there it was satisfying.

It's a cliffy

Author: dylock3 from United States
30 August 2013

This entire review contains spoilers.

So you follow an FBI agent, her crazy soon-to-be father-in-law, and her alternate-universe boyfriend. I'm a very logical person, so I like things to add up.

The show is okay, if you don't mind some unanswered questions. I won't even touch the time-travel, except where they defeat the invaders. If they defeated them, wouldn't they have never come back, and thus the two universes would have never collided? Olivia would never meet Peter, and many fringe cases would have never happened.

So her boyfriend from season 1 was a shapeshifter. Well that was interesting, I thought they'd explain what he was doing eventually. Never spoke about him again.

Then they were training soldiers to 'fight' in a war. Well, that never happened. Any aggression soon became hastily glossed over as a 'misunderstanding'. Still, what happened to all of the shapeshifters? They ended rather fast. So fast, I was hoping for more development on them (maybe they were time travelers too, or something).

We watch as Olivia goes from being a strong FBI agent, stoic in the face of the unexplainably bizarre things around her...to somehow morphing into a passive, not necessarily needy (but quietly angsty) girl who gets comforted way too much.

And what happened with the machine? See, that my thing with the whole series. All these hours and hours of build-ups, then a big event that takes 5 minutes...then almost complete non-relevance. Sure they mention them somewhat now and then...the machine knocked out Peter, was activated by his child's blood, and eventually surprised us by bridging the universes...but then...what? We know where it came from, never saw it be built.

The real meat an potatoes of the show, the really enjoyable things, are the suspense, the unexpected, and the interesting situations. My favorite was the guy on the plane that yelled at the stewardesses. Second favorite situation was the serial killer who was confronted by himself. And the sentient mold had so, so much potential. They could have befriended it, or had it become a recurring element. Maybe too weird for some viewers?

Worst situation was how a time-teleporter, bullet catching invader, is crushed by a relatively slow-moving car. Couldn't she just have squished him with her mind? Set him on fire from the inside? Make him explode like a bomb? Nope. But she did drain the whole power grid for an attempted amazing send-off for the show. It came off as a bit pathetic, however.

Sometimes after watching a show all the way through, one wishes there was something that could be done to help...because Fringe has potential. Sure it is a drama. And yes, it did help with passing the time as I relaxed. But if I knew before how this would end up, I don't think I would have watched the show at all.

One of the greatest shows ever made

Author: Afonso Vale
3 August 2013

I have finished watching Fringe not more than 20 minutes ago. It was an amazing journey that I do not regret at all. It is a show that has everything, from unforgettable characters to an amazing plot that thickens towards the end, ending in an amazing last episode full of emotive scenes that will crack even the bravest Fringe fan. Every episode is carefully written and every actor does a superb job, being (in my honest opinion) Jonh Noble the very best. While you might think that the series is centered in either Olivia or Peter you are wrong. It is Walter Bishop that makes the series incredible (not that I mean that the rest of the characters aren't incredible as well, because they are).If it's either because of his high intellect or his huge humour or even his amazing heart I cannot tell. Walter Bishop is simply one character to be remembered. If you are a fan of science fiction it would be a sin not to watch this amazing series.

X-files meets 24...Something like that.

Author: Troy Campbell from United States
25 July 2013

One of my good friends was the person that got me into this show. I started watching Season 1 when season 3 was about to air. I would say that it is a little slow at first, but this is one of those shows that begins with a new case every episode, at least until the overarching plot starts to come together. I've always felt like Joshua Jackson was underrated and I'm still hoping he's able to get some work because of this show. I don't know if he's the best character in the show but he is my favorite. Everyone has their quirks and trademarks but he seems to be the one that's not as cheesy as Walter. I'm not sure if that's fair to say, though, because as you get to learn the characters, especially John Noble's, then you can't help but fall in love with them. There are episodes with drama, action, sci fi, and everything in between. This show also does a cool thing in regards to time and place. You know where you are by the opening titles/soundtracks.

This show would be good for any kind of action/sci fi/horror fan. I was a little disappointed in the ending but that's truly not as important as everything that happens within the pilot and the series finale. I also should mention that there are many plot twists along the way that are anything but predictable. It's also interesting to think that this show was going to be canceled after season 3 (I think).

Ingenious

Author: Hassan Shuvo from London, UK
16 July 2013

I missed the first few episodes of Fringe when it launched five years ago, but it didn't take long for me to find out about it and get caught up in it. The premise, of an FBI agent (Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham) assigned to investigate paranormal incidents with a team of civilian scientists, had a lot of potential. It bore some surface similarity to The X-Files in its concept, but the execution was different, because Fringe made no bones about what was going on. If there was a cover-up, the Fringe team wasn't in the group being kept out of the loop. In The X-Files, "the truth (was)out there". In Fringe, the truth was right there, and probably trying to gnaw your face off.

It made for an exciting and intelligent show. In the first season, it mostly kept to a "monster of the week" format, where the Fringe team would investigate a different threat each time, all of them apparently unrelated. But even then there were hints that there was something underneath it all, as too many of the cases seemed related to Walter Bishop's earlier research projects. It's a quandary that a lot of shows, particularly genre shows, have to face: the question of whether to stay as a "threat of the week" show, or to start adding a "myth arc", where an overriding plot line starts shaping the seasons. The former means that viewers won't get lost, and it's possible to maintain the same level of quality — a bad storyline will only ruin one episode instead of a whole season. But it's hard to maintain viewer interest without the ongoing story arc, and Fringe, as with most sci-fi shows, started introducing arcs with the second season. This initially took the form of the threats unleashed by David Robert Jones, and his mysterious agenda regarding otherworldly invaders, but was eventually sidelined by the alternate universe.

If there was a point where the series stumbled a bit, it was in the fourth season. It felt as if the writers had painted themselves into a corner with the alternate universe, and wanted to hit the reset button in a lot of ways. They altered the time line, brought back David Robert Jones (Jared Harris), and even revisited a lot of the plots from the earlier seasons. While it was still interesting, it couldn't escape the feeling of familiarity. But perhaps most importantly, while the season was still fun and interesting, it felt separate from all the previous seasons. The first four seasons sometimes went in different directions, but they felt like the same show; season five felt more like a sequel series, the same characters in a new show. This is not to say that it was bad; just that it didn't feel quite like Fringe any more.

After five seasons, it was probably time for Fringe to go. But I'm going to miss the intelligent writing, and the numerous respectful nods to science fiction and fantasy greats; I remember one of the first ones I caught being when they referred to "the Zelazny building". I'm going to miss the creative and downright freaky ideas the writers came up with for fringe events. And I'm going to miss watching a character as fun and fascinating as Walter Bishop.

A Great Closure

Author: gozde_uca from United States
25 June 2013

Weird cases, drugs, parallel universes, paradoxes, time travels, a mad scientist, his genius son and a hardcore agent… Fringe came to an END. Although Fringe didn't have the viewers that it had expected it had so many loyal fans. So Fringe got a chance to end up it's story properly. In season 5; Peter, Walter Olivia and Astrid found themselves in year 2036 where observers were all around and were in charge. While they were trying to save the world by collecting the pieces of Walter's plan and watching the tapes; Peter and Olivia were trying to get know their daughter Etta who was 10 years younger than them. But unfortunately this little miracle reunion didn't last long. Episode 4 was a big challenge in the story. Etta's death changed everything. Peter and Olivia's relationship became upside down Peter couldn't handle losing his daughter for the second time. He believed that the only way to get revenge of his daughter is to implant the observer teck. But this time Olivia didn't want to lose Peter, she wanted to grieve with him. In episode 8 Olivia declared he love for Peter and convince him that the only way to beat the observers is not being like them. Peter understood her and believed in her. Emotion is not weakness. So he got the teck out of his brain. The observer- Peter arc was finished due to having 13 episodes in the season. Finally the team learned the biggest piece of the plan: Who Donald was? Thanks to Micheal. After he touched Walter, Walter saw the memories he had with Peter before he was erased from timeline and he saw Donald. Donald is September. It was a shocking revelation. In episode eleven it was revealed that the plan is going to reset time. That means Olivia and Peter can see their daughter again. A hope was born again. The plan was to send Micheal to the year 2167 so that the Oslo scientist who created the observers can see that observers can have both emotion and intelligence. The pieces were for building a time machine. And the person who was going to take Micheal to future was Walter. He was going to sacrifice himself so that his son and Olivia can get their daughter back. By taking Micheal to the future Walter will be vanished from year 2015 and he will continue living in 2167. That's why he made a tape for Peter. Donald realized he should be the one who has to take Micheal to the future but he got shot and Walter knew that this is what he was suppose to do that he can't change the destiny. While going into the wormhole Walter looked at the people he loved most for the last time. Peter was only able to say "I love you dad". It was a heartbreaking scene. Than the scene got flashed to the park scene before observers invaded but this time Peter got his daughter in his arms. As Olivia and Peter arrived home, Peter found a letter from Walter. He opened the letter. What he saw was a White tulip a hope sign for Walter. Did Peter understand what happened? Did he remember? These are the questions that we will never know.

Fringe

Author: Robert de Geus from United States
6 May 2013

This show was truly ground-breaking from season one to season 3. After that the show excelled in excellence, but did not quite live up to the standard it set.

The cast really play their parts believably and go through emotional situations which we can all relate to on some level despite it being a Sci-Fi.

Overall this show deserves to be seen and loved by everyone, but it wont be, FOX canceled it after meeting the mark of 100 episodes. The story is incredibly well crafted and I have to say this is probably J.J. Abrams best work. I would highly recommend this series.