IMDb > "Fringe" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Fringe"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Fringe" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 38: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Greately drawn characters with a thrilling plot

Author: Krzysztof Dabrowski from Poland
7 March 2010

I have approached the show with a quite loud note of skepticism while having read the reviews on the IMDb page. But being bored in a cold winter evening I went for it and believe me no regrets from that day on.

The pilot kick starts with huge dose of mystery science which reminded me a bit of the old classic X-Files at some moments. You got the mystery, a big chunk of science and what is most important to me really mesmerizing characters. Each of the protagonists has a dim past behind them which is being reviled throughout the episodes in small addictive pills. While watching you can venture some wild guesses about what may happen but frankly speaking your chances of getting it right are pretty dim as the plot has a wild twist almost at every corner. Dr Bishop (John Noble) is adding the flavor to the whole thing in one moment a brilliant scientist and a blink of eye later a five year old boy trapped in an old man's body. Mr Noble is giving a great performance in his role and it is worth seeing.

To wrap it up I think that it's a good show to watch and that everybody will find something interesting for himself. You don't have to fully understand the plot to enjoy it and get addicted.

The best SCI-FI series after X Files

Author: Nishit from India
5 March 2010

I don't remember any other Sci-Fi TV series other than X-Files that had this kind of extremely interesting story line. I just love every part of it . Watch every episode of it and , if you are a SCI-FI fan you bet you won't be disappointed. The cast is just perfect , just like the 2 agents in X Files , here you have 2 agents and much more , a bunch of people including a extremely brilliant scientist and many other agents and geniuses. Every episode has its special part along with the story line that continues all along since the first episode and the concept embedded , is a little mind-boggling at first if you haven't much much of science fiction.But all in all - Just amazing . Cant wait to watch the next episode . CHEERS!

Keeps your mind moving

Author: bradleyneal14 from United States
18 April 2010

Fringe reminds me of The Prisoner or Lost in that you have an underlying plot that carries throughout all the episodes. Also in the way you know that there is a conspiracy at the heart of the show. You will have to wait until the series is finished and has it's finale to find out what exactly is going on in some regards.

The show deals with the government investigating incidents thru good old fashion detective work and scientific work that is on the outer bounds of science, or on the fringe of it. If you enjoy a good conspiracy or find things like the details of the governments MK ULTRA experiments interesting, then you should like this show. It's like Lost, CSI, and the X Files all rolled up into one.....so far, so very very good

Interesting Characters - a family drama with a Sci Fi twist!

Author: Purple_Converse from Pakistan
7 June 2010

A very diverse group of actors have come together to make a very interesting cast that have amazing chemistry on screen and make you care about them and care about what happens to them - and that is what makes you keep coming back for more. Even a high school science student would have to suspend his/her disbelief at the fantasy they try to pass off as science, but it has enough truth in it to make that not too difficult. Each actor has been chosen perfectly to play that specific role. The best thing, however, is not the action or the suspense - but the small things. Little moments in the show that set it apart from the rest - that make you go, hmmm, that was unexpected. Give it a shot - it really sucks you in by the 3rd or 4th episode - after that, you are hooked!

Bad science, unlikely characters

Author: (scheper-885-98970) from Netherlands
21 March 2011

I'm afraid I'm in the vast minority here, but I found this series disappointing. The only believable character is Dr. Walter Bishop, whose role is expertly portrayed by John Noble. The other characters are shallow, predictable and uncharacteristic for their roles, despite the strength of the cast.

The science in the show is disappointing. Little effort has been made to think the science through into anything more than a semi-plausible unhinged theory, usually thought up by Dr. Bishop and defiantly thrown down by his super intelligent son who turns out to be wrong every time.

I really tried to like this show so much, but to me it doesn't hold up against classic such as X-Files or the Twilight Zone.

I am quite enjoying this series

Author: beck_skelding from Australia
1 October 2009

It was a little slow to start with but as we moved on and learn more about Joshua Jacksons character as well as Walter's history it is getting intriguing. I am looking forward to seeing where it goes in season 2 as I have only watched season one. If they can get some more humour and a bit tighter script in future seasons and answer a few questions as well as bringing up more then I will enjoy it even more. I think this series can be saved from all those who are disappointed in it if JJ can just bring it up a notch, I am afraid that since ALIAS he has gone over his 'peak'. LOST was good, for the first 2 seasons then started to get too weird and the clues even more annoying so I stopped watching it. If he can avoid making this filled with too much intrigue and not enough answers over the episodes then I shall continue to enjoy watching it. Plus I love the off handed humour comments that Peter and Walter's characters come out with occasionally!

Don't worry about the logic, just enjoy the drama

Author: LouE15 from United Kingdom
22 October 2009

Incomprehensibly negative reviews here: what heights of TV brilliance were all these disappointed people expecting? Seriously, this is just 'mad science' packaged beautifully for mid-evening TV (after work, brain no longer required), and it does, I think, exactly what it says on the tin. I understand that creator J J Abrams was behind "Alias" and "Lost". OK, yes, pretty good. But...er...the soaring expectations were based on what, exactly? (And no, I'm not counting his wonderful "Star Trek" - different medium, different ball game.)

The formula is familiar to us all from countless scientific exploration/forensic/detective shows, so to me there was no great leap to understand the setup, and definitely no questioning of it. It's not deep – add one part crime detection, two parts quirky "work family", one part dysfunctional father-son relationship, and four parts pseudo-science, conspiracy government plot science. Do we actually mind that it's "X Files" for a new generation? Or that the detecting conclusions leapt to through impossible scientific bounds are tenuous in the extreme? Who cares?! Does it actually need to make sense if it's addictive and well made?

I don't spend my mid-evening TV time worrying about continuity and logic, especially not for shows like this which make throwing logic out of the window sort of a point of honour. Provided - as in this case - it loosely ties together, the characters are not cardboard cut-outs and have interesting inter-relationships, and it looks pretty good and keeps the low-IQ part (of course it's only a part!) of my brain entertained, I pretty much got what I came for. I like Agent Olivia's fearless stares; I like Peter Bishop's murky past (a little at odds with his boyish face under the beard); I like the supporting cast, especially Broyles (forever Lt. Daniels in my mind!) and, crowning glory, I adore Dr Walter Bishop, bless his delightfully unhinged self-medicating cotton socks. I love it. And now despise me if you dare.

Initial disappointment followed by continued disappointment

Author: bringmehere from United States
10 February 2009

I love The X-Files. I knew that nothing could replace The X-Files and I wasn't expecting Fringe to do this. But, I was expecting at least basic plausibility, decent writing, and at least someone that could act. I got none of these. Well, I should say, John Noble (Dr. Walter Bishop) does a good job. Other than that--good lord these characters are flat! Anna Torv's acting is a flat as her character.

One thing that made The X-Files addictive was that Chris Carter mixed up the episodes--a series of myth-arc/conspiracy episodes and then a series of single, self-contained episodes. Fringe tries for constant conspiracy tension all the time, which is simply...tiring and predictable. It's hard to get excited about something that is being constantly shoved in your face all of the time--and in the most obvious manner. Nothing is left unexplained. Like Astrid's character--she's only there to move the plot along. She's always asking the most obvious, simple-minded questions. This way another character can lay everything out for you just in case a person in a vegetative coma is watching and is having trouble keeping the plot straight. As for plausibility--why in the world is Joshua Jackson's character allowed to be in any of the FBI protected crime scenes he gets into without any questions? Oh, and they bring a former mental patient along too! Who also gets to have a lab--no questions asked--at Harvard where they can do very illegal medical procedures and experiments.

Blech blech blech.

I tried. I watched for weeks. But no more. I couldn't take it any longer. Don't wait for it to get better, because it won't.

Epic, Extremely Satisfying, SciFi Journey

Author: RockyMtnVideo from Evergreen, CO
2 May 2015

It's been just over two years since this ended, and I have been remiss in not writing this review sooner. To avoid spoilers, one can obviously not be too specific about plot. Certainly, it had a bit of the same feel as X-Files (in its better years), but Fringe was (IMHO) a far more complex offering. Fringe had several (at least three, and some might argue even more) major plots lines that that were initiated in the earliest episodes, and then drove the story line right through to the last minutes of the finale. Certainly, it was episodic in its story telling (something new, interesting, and bizarre, most weeks), but all of that was stitched together as part of those key, often interwoven, plot lines. And lying beneath all of that, there was a tight-knit cast, whose character's lives, relationships, and emotions (and sometimes extremely raw emotions) were the foundation for the entire series.

Aside from the cohesive story, some of the other things that made the show special, include… Some of the episodic science fit the show's name, but some of it (including one of the key plot points) was drawn straight from modern, theoretical physics. But even (the former) "fringe science" could be rationalized to the degree that it was always semi-believable, and always engaging.

"Walter Bishop". Again, avoiding spoilers, suffice it to say that having to wait, week to week, to hear the next crazy thing that would come out of this character's mouth, was always a difficult wait. Walter was the glue (or maybe, more appropriately, the "crazy glue") that stitched the characters together, in the same way that those full-series arcs, stitched the episodes together.

And then, there was an intentional nod to the problem/puzzle-solvers ("think outside of the box") audience that the producers expected to be drawn to the series. The sort of folks that would already be drawn to the SciFi nature of the series. Again, vagueness intended, to avoid spoilers, but if you haven't seen the series, and do dive into it, then it shouldn't take you long to catch on.

Suffice it to say that I was deeply disappointed when the series came to an end, but its final season (which the writers/producers were fully aware of) was one of its best, and certainly the most moving (emotionally), and was a satisfying conclusion to a fantastic series.

If you missed out the first time, then buy the full series blu-rays, or find a way to binge watch your way through it. It's an enjoyable ride.

Formulaic FBI drama with a thin veneer of pseudoscience

Author: John Francis from Manchester, England
19 September 2013

There's a lot to like here - Anna Torv delivers a convincing and compelling lead performance, the show doesn't mind splashing a bit of blood and guts around and there's a fair amount of interesting and well thought out back story to her character.

Unfortunately there is rather a lot to not like.

Within a few episodes the show had settled into a formula. Six episodes in it was in a rut. And the supporting characters are so crudely drawn as to be risible. This is especially true of cartoon "mad scientist" type Walter who invariably does something "amusing" (a weekly crude parody of mental illness) then "has a theory" (blah blah dark matter blah blah telepathy blah blah secret research project). This character detracts enormously from the otherwise dark tone of the show. If he was played 10% more seriously and with 99% less idiotic and inaccurate pseudoscience then the show would be ten times better.

As it is, the whole thing comes across like a daytime TV version of the X Files. Samey plots and stupid attempts at quirky characters prevent the series from living up to the considerable promise of the pilot episode.