IMDb > "Fringe" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Fringe"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Fringe" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 39: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Just stick to Lost JJ. Too much mystery BS now.

Author: Kakarot_XR from United Kingdom
27 November 2008

Yeah. So I watched the Pilot, I was quite impressed. Good twist in the end, good suspense decent acting.

After giving it 5 more weeks, with 5 more poor episodes I've given up watching Fringe.

The acting does not improve after the pilot. The writing is poor and foreseeable. The characters are stereotypical and seriously not interesting at all. JJ tries to get us invested in the lead actress, but it doesn't work. Her acting is poor. Her looks don't make up for her acting either.

The main problem with Fringe however is that there is no 'GRAND' plot at the moment. None of the episodes really intertwine or affect each other.

Another problem is... THAT THERE IS TOO MUCH MYSTERY AND NOT ENOUGH PROGRESSION.

We all like LOST because the characters are likable and we can relate to them. That is why we have invested in LOST although there is so much mystery in it that it is FRUSTRATING it has very likable characters with a decent amount of progression.

Overall, I don't recommend Fringe to anyone, SCI-FI or JJ fans will not be happy with this one.

Horrible!

Author: vrkolak666 from Macedonia, (The Former Yugoslav Republic of)
1 November 2009

Now, I've seen many bad movies, bad shows, but this one..... blows away everything.

It starts with cool 2 hour premiere, with car explosion that cost millions, you get involved in something called 'the pattern'.....

And then beautifully, the show transforms from mildly interesting, to utter crap. EVERY cliché, and I am not exaggerating, you have ever seen in Sci-fi, it's in this thing they call TV show.

The story of each episode goes like this: there are evil guys who do bad stuff in the begging, whit some technology made from 'fringe' science. Then, you get fight scenes, horrible, HORRIBLE acting from Anna Torv, and some endless chatter between the main guy and his mad scientist type father. Then, the mad scientist somewhere about 5-7 minutes before the end of the said episode finds out that he's been working on the SAME thing bad guys use, and he fights them with his counter weapon. That's it. That actually might be 'the pattern'. :)) If you are reading this, and say, that's not bad, believe me, after watching 15 episodes (that's how much i got myself to watch before i reconsidered the value of my life) of that same crap, you'll definitely change your mind.

Another thing that pisses me off, is the guys comparing this to X-Files. Don't, please. I want it to be back to, I'm great fan of it, I love Moulder and Scully, but PLEASE, don't draw parallels between a legendary series and this junk...

It says here the lowest is 1... shame....

Hang in there... it really is worth watching!

Author: lenaprettyballerina from Australia
17 August 2009

I had trouble working out what this show was all about at first. The first four or five episodes seemed to be disconnected and confusing, and I wasn't really sure if I was interested enough to keep watching. However I really loved the character of Walter Bishop, so I thought I would hang in there for the first season at least, and see if it went anywhere. Boy am I glad I did =) The show is essentially about an FBI agent, Olivia Dunham, who with the help of Walter Bishop, a scientist, deals with crimes and events that have paranormal overtones, predominately dealing with a branch of scientific research known as fringe science.

I later discovered that the reason it is so disjointed in the beginning is that Fox requires all its new shows to have at least 4 stand alone episodes at the start of a new series so that they can pull the plug without having irate viewers who were sucked into the storyline send them 20 tonnes of nuts when they pull the plug on their favourite show in the middle of a cliffhanger - a la Jericho (which was CBS but I think all the studios learned a very valuable lesson).

This is a REALLY great show, and is well worth enduring the first few episodes for. I found that at the end of each episode, I was hanging out for the next one, and I was constantly playing the scenes over in my head trying to work things out and make connections. Sure, the characters are not absolutely brilliant, but I believe that the characters will get better in the seasons to come, and the little glimpses into their lives that has been provided so far certainly make them more interesting (watch the last few episodes and you'll see what I mean).

Walter is definitely the most endearing character, and he provides welcome hilarity in the most tense scenes.

Slow out of the gate but now appointment viewing

Author: MicroTrooper from United States
1 July 2011

To be honest my feelings about this show were very meh after watching the pilot episode. Technically well done with good production values, but the story seemed drawn out and derivative and the characters didn't really grab me, especially the female lead (played by Anna Torv). But there was enough there that was intriguing to make me watch another episode, then another, then another. It took a while to get going, but a little over halfway through Season 1 I realized I was becoming eager to view each successive episode. Yes, at first there were many similarities to other genre shows (after all, they all draw water from the same well) but by the end of Season 1, Fringe was successfully carving out its place among the greats. It really hit its stride in Season 2 which picked up the pace with some very skillful and effective writing. There were still some momentum shifts while toggling between episodic and serialized storytelling, but the characters had come into their own and the intensity increased significantly. And Season 3? Absolutely Blew. My. Mind. So much so that I'm really stoked to see how they're going to top it.

The show has consistently delivered incredible production values, but it is the depth of the storytelling and the characters that are the meat and potatoes. There is real emotional resonance here with themes on trust, intimacy, sacrifice, and family. Something I find lacking in a lot television programs these days. And, yes, there is also plenty of mystery and suspense. The cast (and *guest* casting, good god!) is indescribably fantastic. And I've done a complete 180 on Anna Torv and the character she plays. The actress is phenomenal and there are reasons why her character is the way she is. I've grown to really love her.

This is long-view storytelling at its best and attentive viewing can be very rewarding. You get lots of breadcrumbs pertaining to the overarching "mythology" spread throughout the series, starting with the very first episode and the payoffs are huge. If you are a fan of intricate well told science fiction (with an emphasis on FICTION; some of the actual science can require fanwankery at times) or just a fan of really great character based drama and suspense, then you should definitely give this series a try. Be forewarned however that the series can get pretty bloody gruesome at times (if you care about that sort of thing).

All and all, I'm really glad I stuck with this one or I would definitely be missing out. It has turned into must-see TV for me. I just hope the suits don't kill it before its time.

A very entertaining Sci-Fi TV show

Author: Barbara Pombo from Argentina
25 November 2009

I gotta say I didn't had too much hopes for this show on it's first two episodes, but while watching it every since until now, i can honestly say how mistaken i was. The second season particularly is very amusing and it caught me after every episode. You could say this is somehow the "X Files" young sister. Not to mention the special effects are really great and convincing (something sometimes really hard to find in a TV show). On what comes to the performances, Anna Torv could do a little better as the FBI Agent Oliva Dunham, but i believe her performance has even become more convincing during this second season as well. Joshua Jackson really surprised me with his smart yet stubborn Peter Bishop, when i realized "hey, this guy can truly act" i mean i was afraid it was gonna be some sort of older Pacey Witter (the role his always known for, from his previous TV show hit "Dawson's Creek") and i must say he proved me wrong, cause this role is nothing like it and, as an actress myself, i was really shocked by the way he putted the Pacey alter-ego aside to play this other role. On what comes to Walter Bishop and Agent Astrid Farsworth, i must say just how much i love them. They're this magnificent endearing duet, which is hard to find on Sci-Fi/drama TV series. John Noble is already known as a very versatile actor and i love the way he imagined this character was supposed to be and then again, they way he plays it. Jasika Nicole is, or at least her character, somebody i could be friends with that is, at the same time smart, and fits great on the Fringe Division team. I still have my doubts about characters like Nina Sharp and Agent Broyles, but still are part of an amazing cast.

Too bland to truly excite

Author: aviran-2 from Australia
2 December 2008

I've had high hopes for this show, and while it's not terrible, it doesn't grab me as I hoped it would.

I am not bothered by the preposterous 'science' of this show -- I just accept that it's happening in some kind of a parallel universe where this kind of science is possible. Nor do I share other viewers' aversion to the floating letters (they're just letters, people, get over it!).

It is fashionable to make comparisons between X-Files and Fringe. Fringe is made on a much higher budget and cute as he might be Fox Mulder with his unconvincing tenor was not a match to Joshua Jackson's charismatic character. I also never found X-Files' 'aliens abducted my sister' storyline particularly sexy. But unfortunately, The Patterns are just as tepid.

Where X-Files was far superior, was in its ability to build suspense. Mulder and Scully were constantly put in the way of danger, where the phenomena were after them, not after some girls off the street. This approach allowed to build up tension and suspense and, as a result, make the viewers invest in the characters, two mavericks who were constantly hunted by monsters and bullied by government agencies.

Fringe, on the other hand, is more of a procedural with a crazy old man (best character on the show) solving the problem, and then Olivia Dunham swooping in on a location with her SWAP team. It's just a little too... CSI-like for me.

I had hoped Fringe would be one of these shows I'd want to eventually own on DVD. Not so much. Gooey corpses notwithstanding, it's too bland to truly excite.

So far, so bad.

Author: jorge_mt from Argentina
13 April 2010

I just finished episode 5 of the first season. Just to put my opinion in perspective, let me say I've gone through Star Trek and all its spin-offs, Stargate SG-1, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost, X-Files, Babylon 5, both Battlestar Galacticas, the original V, The 4400, Heroes, Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds Are Go, Supercar, Gilligan's Island and both Love Boats. My point is I think I'm really easy to please. But so far, Fringe is the worst of the worst I've ever seen. Overexplained, overacted, clichéd, and if it's in the fringe, it is not of science, but of fantasy on the side of incoherence. Suspension of disbelief is an unavoidable requirement while watching any sci-fi or fantasy show, but what Fringe asks for is suspension of thought. The fantastic phenomena feel like X-Files first season's rejects. The plot is transparent, the overbearing overmisterious boss is nerve-grating, the (literally) mad scientist asking for onion soup in the midst of corpses with exploded eyes and heads gets old the second time, the dead-meat love story with the alfa male who was not the main character was unforgivably predictable, the betrayed surviving female agent with his always tortured look is annoying, and the mad's scientist rogue son with the secret past who is always about to go away but stays because he read the script and so knows he'll get his affair with the agent is OK, but just because he stole Dawson's Creek from James Van Der Beek. I expected much more from JJ Abrams after Lost, but where Lost insinuates weirdness and conflict, Fringe tries to shove it in with all the subtlety of Robert de Niro with a baseball bat. And fails miserably. I intend to keep plodding on and see if it somehow picks itself up, as X-Files eventually did, or it's just that JJ has began to franchise his name around.

One Of The Best Shows Of All-Time

Author: myownme777 from United States
7 October 2013

Just finished the show, and wiping the tears, and I have got to say that this IS one of THE BEST shows of all-time. AND you don't have to be a sci-fi fan to appreciate it. I am not a Trekkie or a Star Wars fanatic, but I do appreciate a good story, and this definitely has that. This show has it all; Adventure, Horror, Drama, Action, Comedy, Mystery, Fantasy, and Romance. I'm sad that it's ended, as with the recently finished Breaking Bad, but I know that there is so much more to be discovered. Give this show a chance and stick it out and you will be rewarded.

Originally I did not think that I would like it because of Joshua Jackson, being that he is from Dawson's Creek, but he won me over as did James Van Der Beek in The Rules Of Attraction, and he does a great job. The whole cast is great, but no one more than John Noble who plays the mad but brilliant scientist and experimenter of hallucinogenics, Walter Bishop. There are lots of episodes where he trips and the best one is in one of the last episodes where he has a Monty Python-esque hallucination.

If you are a Trekkie, you'll want to see this show for the great Leonard Nimoy, who plays a very important role on the show. It's been nice to have been introduced to Anna Torv, Jasika Nicole and Georgina Haig all three are great and all i've since fallen in love with. Lance Reddick, Blair Brown, Michael Cerveris and Eugene Lipinski(one helluva frightening performance) are definitely worth mentioning being great in their respected roles as well. Other great actors worth mentioning that appear are Jared Harris(Happiness), Martha Plimpton(Parenthood), William Sadler, Peter Weller, Brad Dourif, Christopher Lloyd and Theresa Russell(in one helluva sexy performance).

All in all it's just a great show so watch it damn it!

A perfect concoction of intelligence and feelings

Author: flashcortex from Slovakia
30 August 2013

I started watching the show just when the first season was heading towards its end, and frankly I was taken aback. It was the perfect show for me, a heavenly combination of drama, action, thrills, science, fiction and characters that you can so easily relate to. You don't even notice how fond you grow of them. I've stuck with the show until the very end, and yes, there are some twists here and there that could've been dealt differently but the show ha maintained it's quality. It's not easy to watch and it's definitely not that easy to keep track of all the cases or events that come to happening but the complex nature of the show is very unique. And in a way beautiful.

A must-watch for all sci-fi lovers.

Author: Kaity Barry from Chicago, IL
14 July 2013

I've noticed that most of the horrible reviews here are those that didn't get past the first four episodes. Granted, these were not the most exciting and well-written story lines presented to viewers, but afterwards, the ball really gets rolling.

Anna Torv is AMAZING as Olivia Dunham. She's tough, but vulnerable. She's pretty, but not overly attractive. She has real responses and emotions to the stresses in her life. And (this is the big one for me, because TV always seems to speed up romance), it doesn't take her 5 episodes to fall in love. It takes a couple seasons.

All the other characters add so much dimension to this show, but arguably, the most fun is Dr. Walter Bishop. He's zany, likable, high most of the time, and absolutely freakin' brilliant.

I can't get into the storyline too much without ruining it, but I don't think I've ever watched a show with such amazingly crafted plot twists. Fringe is one show that I want to keep on watching, hour after hour.

Heads up, it's on Netflix now, steaming four seasons! Go watch it! Like, NOW!